New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Erfworld 9; the discussion thread

So, it's looks more and more like it is one of those magic, the gathering kind of games. We allready had turns, but now there are hats with magical abillities.
    What do you think?
    Last edited by battleburn; 2006-12-19 at 02:37 PM.

thanx to Abardam for these fantastic Erfworldstyle sigatars
    For the awesome 'The Wolf'-sigatar I thank Sampi.
    Kd7sov, thank you for the Girl Genius, Agatha Heterodyne avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 9, the discussion thread, because I didn't see the official one

O RLY OWLS! That's what I think. They're fun ^^ And they sort of remind me of the seagulls from Finding Nemo.
    - "Cool with me. Let's go massacre something."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 9, the discussion thread, because I didn't see the official one

It's like in Heroes actually - she traded the Valkyrie helmet (with fake braids, oh my) of +combatstats for a Tophat of +scoutingstats. It's not really M:tG style, as all equipment in M:tG is pretty much combat-oriented.

PS: Gotta love the owls.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maurog View Post
    PS: Gotta love the owls.
    Actually I thought the use of the "O RLY" Owls was the tipping point in my decision whether to continue to read this comic or not. Tired, cliche internet jokes can be funny in some cases (mostly when they and those who continue to use them are mocked)--this strip was as far from being one of these cases as it's possible to be. It's like a miniature, contained version of "All Your Base," except within the larger context of a well drawn but otherwise mediocre (at best) comic.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

backup plans to even his scouting missions. Damn it Ansom just loves to plan.

Poor Jillian, I really liked that helmet.
    Always spread Vegimite behind your ears to prevent attack by drop bears.
    SHADOWGIRLS FLIPSIDE

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

*sigh*. Frelling memes. Still, I did enjoy the hat bit. More proof we're in a computer strategy-RPG: the equipment makes no damn sense, in a way that's hilarious when you think about it.

To Battleburn: Not Magic. Try Fire Emblem.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

Heh, I like the magical hats, the ORLY? owls didn't really do it for me though. However I would really like to see a cloth golem.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Well, now we know what a orlie is^^
    I liked it, it was kinda clever.
    Totally getting something nice here, when the time is right that is.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground
    Default Re: the owls

Well, considering what a tired, shopworn internet meme this supposedly is, I've only seen the "o rly" statement used online in the last month. . . .

. . . and still have no idea what it's in reference to, or why it was meant to be funny. Some kind of toy, I think?

And I'm a fairly heavy net-user. While I don't think it's funny, because I don't get the base reference, I'd just like to point out, that there are some people out there for whom the reference will still be fresh.

If obscure.
    "Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles." --Any DM, but also Miracle Max

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maurog View Post
    It's like in Heroes actually - she traded the Valkyrie helmet (with fake braids, oh my) of +combatstats for a Tophat of +scoutingstats.
    I was also pondering which TBS this comic is based on and I share your point of view here except the abjuration stuff do no fit with it at all.

Anybody has a better guess ?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Its still closest to Warlords.

And, I want me a Cloth Golem.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

It might be, just might be, not even based on anything and just made up from the authors mind...
    Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    Put it another way:
    There's a little part of every one of us that doesn't care exactly what we're humping.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: the owls

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwind View Post
    Well, considering what a tired, shopworn internet meme this supposedly is, I've only seen the "o rly" statement used online in the last month. . . .

. . . and still have no idea what it's in reference to, or why it was meant to be funny. Some kind of toy, I think?

And I'm a fairly heavy net-user. While I don't think it's funny, because I don't get the base reference, I'd just like to point out, that there are some people out there for whom the reference will still be fresh.

If obscure.

There is no reference. It's a weird piture of an owl that people used to use to annoy each other and start posting/flame wars on forums a long time ago. If you've seen it used online even once, then you get the reference.

Nowadays the owl is so infamous that forum mods pretty much make it a tradition to make it the first thing they decide to ban from their boards. You can see a shrine to it at www.orlyowl.com.

While I think the owl itself is hilarious, its use in this comic left me nonplussed. It was just very random, to a degree above and beyond funny-random and well into random-random.

As for the gameplay, I see lots and lots of Heroes of M&M in it. But everyone is probably going to bend their perception to suit whichever game they like best anyway.
    Last edited by Harr; 2006-12-19 at 09:18 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I totally despise that orly owl or anything else that says orly. There were a couple people on the EVE forums that had various pictures along those lines and I wouldn't even bother trying to read their posts. It pretty much just pissed me off from the very first moment I saw it.

It is seeming more and more like this isn't going to be a comic for me.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by battleburn View Post
    So, it's looks more and more like it is one of those magic, the gathering kind of games. We allready had turns, but now there are hats with magical abillities.
    Quote Originally Posted by battleburn View Post
    What do you think?
    I think it's a little more dynamic than that.

We've had the first camp of people who did not use turns, and as we know from the cast page they are not heavily strategic characters.

Now we move to the good guys, with a largely regimented and strategy minded commander. He is the one giving the order to being and end turns, so I think more that the "turn based" style is his management preference.

This might prove to be humorous in the future, the opposition attacking more than once a turn etc since they're not bound by his rules.

We'll see!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

The owl definitely would have been better if the ORLY? reply had actually made some kind of sense to what she was saying. Like she could have gone "We need to move out right NOW or everything we fight for will be lost forever!!" which would have made an ORLY? reply sound at least a little appropriate, and funny in the way that the owl is actually funny (the owl is generally used as a sarcastic way to mock overly-emotional, overly-explained or overly-justified posts), instead of an out of the blue, totally nonsense, random thing.

As it's written it feels more like the author didn't know or care about the actual use or reason behind the owl so much as he just wanted to stick in some quick-n-easy reference to internet forum culture somewhere, and that was it.
    Last edited by Harr; 2006-12-19 at 09:29 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harr View Post
    The owl definitely would have been better if the ORLY? reply had actually made some kind of sense to what she was saying. Like she could have gone "We need to move out right NOW!!" which would have an ORLY? reply sound at least a little appropriate, and funny in the way that the owl is actually funny, instead of an out of the blue, totally nonsense, random thing.

As it's written it feels more like the author didn't know or care about the actual use or reason behind the owl so much as he just wanted to stick in some reference to internet forum culture somewhere, and that was it.
    Y'know, I'm trying really hard not to respond to the reactions and just let everyone have their say, but that's completely untrue and unfair. Who do you think she's addressing when she yells at the "stinking fowl?" The gwiffon?

They're in the trees in panel 1.
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Ya, srsly.

Since there's a minimum word limit on posts, I might as well use this space to apologize for saying "srsly."
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I laughed at the ORLY joke, as I'm not a cynical aged web user who has to shout "shenanigans" every time a good joke/piece if humour is re-used

Heck I laughed out loud at the Limecat/Limedog/You're doing it wrong joke

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

20. - Top - End - #20

I had seen the reference before, without knowing what exactly it meant. This time I had a look around on the internet and I think it is funny that whole websites are dedicated to pictures of owls saying "o rly?"

And significantly less disturbing then that site with all "all your base" variants.

I just want to close this post with this little picture ;-)

thanx to Abardam for these fantastic Erfworldstyle sigatars
    For the awesome 'The Wolf'-sigatar I thank Sampi.
    Kd7sov, thank you for the Girl Genius, Agatha Heterodyne avatar

21. - Top - End - #21

So, we have a world seeming set in a Computer-based Strategy RPG, and you didn't expect someone to use a meme?

Go play a game of Starcraft once in a while. People use AYBABTU as a battle cry...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think that we're seeing that humorless boobs who thought that 1337 made them cool "way back" in the 90s and are annoyed because WalMart is now selling Linux computers (making them less avant garde) just aren't going to love Erfworld.
    That's okay. Erfworld seems to not love them.
    Haar

p.s. I LURVE the peeps gwiffon.
    Though Vaarsuvius crushed me in the past, I will rise from the ashes to haunt your Latin Textbooks.

No more Miko!

Proud Founder of the "I was never fooled by Miko and her capacity for evil and all you people who were scare the pants off of me" Club

"I was going to use the gates to harness the Snarl for myself, but I've just finished researching the epic spell I like to call 'Disintegrate Earth,' and I figured that'd expedite things." -- Mewtarthio

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    Y'know, I'm trying really hard not to respond to the reactions and just let everyone have their say, but that's completely untrue and unfair. Who do you think she's addressing when she yells at the "stinking fowl?" The gwiffon?

They're in the trees in panel 1.
    Well, I went and read it again, it just doesn't capture the spirit of the owl for me. It sounds off in the same way that this would sound off:

Mom: You little rascal! Clean your room!
    Son: (sarcastic) Oh really?

As opposed to,

Mom: You're such a slob. If you don't clean your room, you will never impress any girl, and you will end up dying alone and unloved, and I will fail my mission in life and be forever branded as a bad mother.
    Son: (sarcastic) Oh really?

Which one makes more sense? which one is funny? The first one is the way it's used in the comic, the second one is the way the owl is used in forums to mock/flame people who are trying to over-justify something.

People don't give each other orders in forums. They write long, overly-detailed, hugely overwritten and over-explained posts to over-defend some trivial point, that beg to be made fun of. That's why the owl was born.

Anyway, I wouldn't have said anything if I'd realized you were reading every reply that closely (and
    I probably won't, in the future), cause it's not such a big deal and I didn't want to get into an argument over it.

By the way, as an example, you could use ORLY? To reply to this very post and it would be appropriate ;)
    Last edited by Harr; 2006-12-19 at 09:49 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I liked the ORLY bit.

The Gwiffon does look a little bit like a peep. But to me, it also looks a little bit like Tehrig (big blue living ship) from Spartacus and the Sun Beneath the Sea.

...Yeah, I feel old now.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Thumbs up Re: Erfworld 9, the discussion thread, because I didn't see the official one

Oh, get over it. If you're tired of seeing O RLY? owls, go outside. You'll avoid forums a lot more that way.

As for me, I think they are hilarious EVERY TIME. So there.

Funny comic. Slim on the dialogue, but hopefully all of its kinks will work themselves out.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Harr,
    If you are having trouble wrapping your brain around the reasoning for including slightly outdated popular culture references in AN obviously imported and then localized SRPG, you are just gonna have a hard time enjoying this comic.

Its all part of the world. It really does make sense if you know where its coming from. If you didn't get most of the humor in the Final Fantasy III OotS strip, then you probably won't have as much fun reading Erfworld.

I mean, I just realized that even the art style choice (why the lines are so thick and the backgrounds so detailed) is VG based. Thick-lined sprites moving around in a pre-rendered world. Brilliant.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

wow at least i got an explanation on the ORLY? owl. i totally didn't get the reference in the comic...like, not even close.. then again i guess i know how the poor saps who didnt get the final fantasy reference in the last couple of OOtS strips feel...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dude. Spartakus. You may be right.
    It's all about the French animation.

edit: pic of the Terig: http://people.ucsc.edu/~jeremys/spartakusmain.html

Keep the jokes comin' Rob.

Haar

p.s. My pet rock doesn't attack -- he sings ;)
    Last edited by Haarculaneaum; 2006-12-19 at 10:23 AM.
    Though Vaarsuvius crushed me in the past, I will rise from the ashes to haunt your Latin Textbooks.

No more Miko!

Proud Founder of the "I was never fooled by Miko and her capacity for evil and all you people who were scare the pants off of me" Club

"I was going to use the gates to harness the Snarl for myself, but I've just finished researching the epic spell I like to call 'Disintegrate Earth,' and I figured that'd expedite things." -- Mewtarthio

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I don't know if this makes me more or less sadder as a person, but I thought that the orly owls were an indirect reference to Orly Airport in France. I'd never heard of the o rly owl.

Still, the comic is still showing some promise, even if we are only being drip-fed the pages. If Erfworld was the only reason to come to this site I would have given up on it by now...

The only thing that has actively annoyed me is a few places that appear to have basic grammatical errors*, although they may be artifacts of the "underlying game system". Page nine seems to be free of those.

*Having teachers as parents does this to you.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmmm. References upon references. Orly owls following a flying thing based on an old French animation....