New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Games Every Xbox 360 Owner Should Have

Short version: I work at Game Stop. Employee Appreciation Weekend is this weekend. While I HAVE been splurging on games lately, I need to be sure there are no gems that I'm missing, so: What are some games every Xbox owner should have. Can include downloadable games/DLC for games too.

GO GO GO.

EDIT: Sorry, I actually meant 360. It's been so long that people thought Xbox meant Xbox original I forgot to specify. My B.
    Last edited by Deth Muncher; 2010-12-09 at 07:45 PM.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Games Every Xbox Owner Should Have

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath- This game is an underrated game that really has only one flaw in that
    Spoiler
    Show
    you lose all your upgrades halfway through and gain a completely different (and some would say worse) set

Halo / Halo 2 of course (if your into that sorta thing, which I am)

Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders and Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes. Very fun games that have a very unique gameplay type that combines a hack and slash rpg elements with real time large multi squad based combat.

These are pretty much the only games I have since I recived most of them from a friend that works for GameStop and played most of the xbox library.

3. - Top - End - #3

HalfOrcPirate

Here's a few of my favorite full games (Note: I don't own all of them, but I have played all of them): Mass Effect (both one and two), the Orange Box, Saints Row 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, Halo Reach, Left 4 Dead 2, FF XIII, Gears of War 2, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Fallout: New Vegas, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Fable III, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and...that's it. Every 360 game I love. Of course, I don't know what genre you like, so...

Arcade-wise, I have a few. Braid, Castle Crashers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Any of them), Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, and...that's about it.

For DLC: Ballad of Gay Tony (GTA IV), Lair of the Shadow Broker (Mass Effect 2).
    The only two DLCs I like.
    So..yeah. It really depends on what you like.
    Last edited by Falgorn; 2010-12-09 at 07:49 PM.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

None. Everyone's tastes in things like this are going to differ to some extent, and as such there is no such thing as a game that everyone who owns a specific console should have. For example, there are plenty of games already mentioned in the first two posts here which I would never consider getting, such as the Halo games or Left 4 Dead 2, because I don't like FPS games.

Seriously, if you're looking for game recommendations, try giving us an idea of what type of games you like and don't like. That makes all the difference.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2010-12-09 at 07:40 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falgorn View Post
    Here's a few of my favorite full games (Note: I don't own all of them, but I have played all of them): Mass Effect (both one and two), the Orange Box, Saints Row 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, Halo Reach, Left 4 Dead 2, FF XIII, Gears of War 2, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Fallout: New Vegas, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Fable III, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and...that's it. Every 360 game I love. Of course, I don't know what genre you like, so...

Arcade-wise, I have a few. Braid, Castle Crashers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Any of them), Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, and...that's about it.

For DLC: Ballad of Gay Tony (GTA IV), Lair of the Shadow Broker (Mass Effect 2).
    The only two DLCs I like.
    So..yeah. It really depends on what you like.

Edit: Ah, crap. You were talking original Xbox, weren't you?
    Nope, see edit to the first post.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falgorn View Post
    Fallout: New Vegas, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
    Massive disagreement on these two; there's too many mods out there to play them on a console.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Games Every Xbox 360 Owner Should Have

It's rather simple.

1) EDF!
    2) EDF!
    3) EDF!
    4) They shot the old man!

EDF 2017 is one of the most fun games ever.

Huge guns, big maps, bugs the size of buicks. What more could you want?

Okay, maybe a River City Ransom style beat-em-up with great psuedo chiptune music and beautifully animated spritework based on the great Canadian novel. Get Scott Pilgrim too, then, I suppose.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2010-12-09 at 08:29 PM.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Nope, see edit to the first post.
    They're still valid: many original XBox games can be played on the 360. (Some might have problems, though)

Mega Man 9 & 10 are must haves for any fan of old-school Blue Bombing.

Also, Super Street Fighter IV and SSFII, if you're into fighting games.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Working backwards:

Mando: I've heard the XBOX Emulator on 360 is rather glitchy, so I'm wary of downloading any of those games (despite my love for Stubbs The Zombie). And I think I'm going to get MM9&10 on my Wii, just to have all of my MM games together. Oh, and I tried SSFIV - I sucked royally at it. I've got Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, and still suck at it. (Fun fact - I also have a working arcade box of Street Fighter 2: Turbo Edition)

Chisaur: I have no idea what EDF is, but I'll look into it. And I have the Scott Pilgrim game, which is full of win. I just want them to bring the damn DLC to 360.

Dhavaer: Unfortunately, I lack a PC that's even anywhere near (processing-wise) able to play games, outside of The Orange Box (and even then not really TF2), but I DO have Oblivion GOTY edition and Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout: 3 for 360.

Zevox: You know, I was much of your opinion: But then I started getting sad at not having anyone to play games with. So I went and bought Reach and L4D2, and although I suck righteously at FPS games, I'm making progress, at least.

As to what games I like? RPGs/Actiony things.

Falgorn: Of the games you mentioned, the only one I don't have/know much about is Batman. However, it seems to be set more towards the GRIMDARK Batman that's in the movies nowadays, not like the slightly more comedic Batman of the 90s (cartoon and movies), so I may have to give it a miss. Then again, going around as Bats and screwing people up is always fun...
    Last edited by Deth Muncher; 2010-12-10 at 01:43 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, and I tried SSFIV - I sucked royally at it. I've got Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, and still suck at it. (Fun fact - I also have a working arcade box of Street Fighter 2: Turbo Edition)
    If you'd like to try other types of fighting games, I'd highly recommend BlazBlue: Continuum Shift (and maybe Calamity Trigger, the first one, though at this point the only reason to get that one is the story mode). Before playing the BlazBlue series I was never really any good at fighting games, but I loved those two, and playing them and checking a site with good information on them (dustloop) has helped me get a lot better at the genre.

Plus they actually have story modes worth a damn. Seriously, the story modes of those games are the length of short RPGs. The story is confusing as hell, and you'll likely have to look up info online to understand it, but it at least provides plenty of development for the characters, which makes them more than just bodies for you to fight with. Oh, and there's a lot of good humor to the story modes, too. Almost every part of it has a joke ending, which is often quite funny, especially in the second game.

Zevox: You know, I was much of your opinion: But then I started getting sad at not having anyone to play games with. So I went and bought Reach and L4D2, and although I suck righteously at FPS games, I'm making progress, at least.
    *shrugs* Suit yourself. Personally, I'll take playing games I'll like alone, and don't really see any need to have others to play games with (save for fighting games).

As to what games I like? RPGs/Actiony things.
    My top recommendation, then: Tales of Vesperia. Unless you just can't stand JRPGs or anime-esque art, that is an excellent game, my personal favorite on the console. It's an action RPG with great combat, excellent characters and character development, and a very good story.

It probably goes without saying, but if you don't have it, Dragon Age: Origins is well worth getting. (My apologies if you already have it and have been in the thread for it on this forum - I'm not all that great at keeping track of many of the posters here.) Ditto for the two Mass Effect games, though I suspect those fall under your reply to Falgorn.

Other JRPGs on the system you might consider are Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and Eternal Sonata. I have only played the first of them, but found it quite good - it's more or less a Final Fantasy game in all but name (made by the original creator of that series, and it shows), except it's better than the actual Final Fantasy games I've played (4, 8-13 sans 11 - though note that I don't have a particularly high opinion of any of those). The other two I have only tried demos for, but they seemed to have potential.

And for an action/platformer game, try Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. I'm currently playing it, and while I can't say for sure how much I'll like it come the end of the game since I'm only maybe halfway through, I think it's pretty good so far. Nice mix of platforming and combat, the fighting is simple yet fun, boss battles have been good, and it's visually quite stunning.

Of the games you mentioned, the only one I don't have/know much about is Batman. However, it seems to be set more towards the GRIMDARK Batman that's in the movies nowadays, not like the slightly more comedic Batman of the 90s (cartoon and movies), so I may have to give it a miss. Then again, going around as Bats and screwing people up is always fun...
    Arkham Asylum is a very good action/adventure game, even if you're not a Batman fan (I'm not). It's certainly not comedic (save maybe for a few lines here or there from the Joker or Riddler, and even then, only mildly), but I'd say it's well worth purchasing.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2010-12-10 at 02:23 AM.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    If you'd like to try other types of fighting games, I'd highly recommend BlazBlue: Continuum Shift (and maybe Calamity Trigger, the first one, though at this point the only reason to get that one is the story mode). Before playing the BlazBlue series I was never really any good at fighting games, but I loved those two, and playing them and checking a site with good information on them (dustloop) has helped me get a lot better at the genre.

My top recommendation, then: Tales of Vesperia. Unless you just can't stand JRPGs or anime-esque art, that is an excellent game, my personal favorite on the console. It's an action RPG with great combat, excellent characters and character development, and a very good story.

It probably goes without saying, but if you don't have it, Dragon Age: Origins is well worth getting. (My apologies if you already have it and have been in the thread for it on this forum - I'm not all that great at keeping track of many of the posters here.) Ditto for the two Mass Effect games, though I suspect those fall under your reply to Falgorn.

Other JRPGs on the system you might consider are Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and Eternal Sonata. I have only played the first of them, but found it quite good - it's more or less a Final Fantasy game in all but name (made by the original creator of that series, and it shows), except it's better than the actual Final Fantasy games I've played (4, 8-13 sans 11 - though note that I don't have a particularly high opinion of any of those). The other two I have only tried demos for, but they seemed to have potential.

And for an action/platformer game, try Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. I'm currently playing it, and while I can't say for sure how much I'll like it come the end of the game since I'm only maybe halfway through, I think it's pretty good so far. Nice mix of platforming and combat, the fighting is simple yet fun, boss battles have been good, and it's visually quite stunning.

Arkham Asylum is a very good action/adventure game, even if you're not a Batman fan (I'm not). It's certainly not comedic (save maybe for a few lines here or there from the Joker or Riddler, and even then, only mildly), but I'd say it's well worth purchasing.

Zevox
    I've got the original, because my assistant manager looked at me like I had tentacles coming out of my head when I said I'd never heard of it. Currently, I've played through as Bang, and I rather enjoy...er, whatsisface, Mr. I Throw Ice Swords Everywhere And Win.

I've got ToV, but I've yet to play it. But good to know so many people love it - a friend of mine recommended it to me, speaking very highly of the Tales Of series. Lost Odyssey falls into the "Have, but have not played" category as well. I actually know zilch about LO, Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata. Suppose I'll look 'em up.

And Enslaved? I'd actually not heard that many reviews (nor sold that many copies, honestly). Good to know someone likes it.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I've got the original, because my assistant manager looked at me like I had tentacles coming out of my head when I said I'd never heard of it. Currently, I've played through as Bang, and I rather enjoy...er, whatsisface, Mr. I Throw Ice Swords Everywhere And Win.
    Ah, that would be my main, Jin Kisaragi. Well, if you like what you've played of Calamity Trigger, consider picking up Continuum Shift. Aside from more story mode (and more Teach Me Miss Litchi) and tweaks to the gameplay, it adds three new characters off the bat, a couple of which I quite like personally, and there will be three more added via DLC. The second DLC character actually just released on the 360, and because he was delayed a couple of months he's been discounted to almost half the normal price ($4 instead of $7) until early next month.

And Enslaved? I'd actually not heard that many reviews (nor sold that many copies, honestly). Good to know someone likes it.
    It's a pretty good game, certainly. Not something that looks like it'll have a ton of replay value (save for challenging hard difficulty perhaps), but I'd say it's well worth my purchase (actually, it's worth more than I paid, since I got it for only $25). The story is apparently based on a Chinese classic, but has been moved to a post-apocalyptic future, and it's working surprisingly well for such an odd change of setting. Voice acting is quite good too. And I already talked about the gameplay.

Zevox

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Chiasaur: I have no idea what EDF is, but I'll look into it. And I have the Scott Pilgrim game, which is full of win. I just want them to bring the damn DLC to 360.
    EDF 2017? It's a third person shooter,

Okay, the best way to describe it, I suppose, is describing a random level.

You and your squadmates (Dumb as a sack of hammers to a man, but amusing in a Z movie way) are sent to a major metropolitan center, only to be greeted by a horde of panicy civilians. Followed by a horde of giant bugs.

The remainder of the level is you and your squadmates trying to deal with a few city blocks full of giant ants.

Pretty soon, your buddies? Probably dead.

It's down to you, your assault rifle (by this point, it almost definitely has infinite ammo) and your rocket launcher capable of leveling a skyscraper in one shot. (ditto)

One you, big city, dozens of bugs, big booms.
    Spoiler
    Show

And yes. That is the first level. Later you meet the real enemies and get the good guns. Can you say 10 shots a second full auto homing missile launcher?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Obligatory tv tropes link here
    Just have a look at anything that sounds intresting

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

The story is apparently based on a Chinese classic, but has been moved to a post-apocalyptic future, and it's working surprisingly well for such an odd change of setting. Voice acting is quite good too. And I already talked about the gameplay.
    It's based on Journey to the West, which is best known for the Monkey King.

It's been adapted into lots of different settings, (Saiyuki and Dragonball for example), so moving it to a post-apocalyptic future and it still working doesn't surprise me.

Obviously some plot elements have been changed - I can't see Tripitaka riding a horse which is actually a transformed castrated Dragon Prince doing penance for his sins.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I second Lost Odyssey. But get and use the Prima guide for it. There's a lot of things you can easily miss unless you have it.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

What falgorn said are pretty much the big ones that everyone knows about although you missed Borderlands and Bayonetta!

I personally think shadowrun is the best fps multiplayer combat to be had on the 360. XBLA 'monday night combat' being a close second.

Sacred 2 :is okay - helps a little if your waiting for Diablo3
    Culdcept Saga : if your a magic the gathering fan
    Kingdom Under Fire : Don't update the game

The next big game I'm waiting for is dungeon siege 3. That game is looking pretty awesome to me.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Er, surprised no one has mentioned this one yet: Darksiders

If you don't know much about it it's like a more mature Zelda game. You play as War, one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse and have to travel the world map and do Zelda-esque dungeons (complete with special item and boss) to undo the apocalypse you accidentally started early. If you're unsure, they have a demo which covers the entire first dungeon.

Also, Enslaved is very fun, I would also recommend trying out the demo first though.

19. - Top - End - #19

Ketsui is the best game on 360.

May be kinda difficult to aquire though.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
    I second Lost Odyssey. But get and use the Prima guide for it. There's a lot of things you can easily miss unless you have it.
    Why waste your money? The game has been out for a couple years now - GameFAQs has everything you could ever need to know about it at this point.

Zevox

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, you know what I should have done? Post all the games I have in the first post. So I'm going to just go ahead and post them here.

From the XBLA, I have:

Castle Crashers
    Castlevania: SotN
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Earthworm Jim HD
    Marvel Vs Capcom 2
    Scott Pilgrim
    Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix (On Ice!)
    Wolfenstein 3D

For the console proper, I have:

Beautiful Katamari
    Blaz Blue - the first one
    Blood Bowl
    Borderlands GotY Edition
    Brootal Legend (so spelled because I can't umlaut on this keyboard)
    Castlevania: God of War Edition
    Dragon Age: Origins + pretty much every DLC
    Fable 2
    Fable 3
    Fallout 3: GotY Edition
    Falout: New Vegas
    Halo: Reach
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Lost Odyssey (x)
    Magna Carta 2 (x)
    Mass Effect 1 (x)
    Metro 2033
    Oblivion: GotY Edition (xx)
    Red Dead Redemption + Undead Nightmare
    Sonic Genesis Collection
    Spider Man: Shattered Dimensions
    Tales of Vesperia
    Tetris Evolution

(The ones with Xs next to them I haven't played. The exception is Oblivion, which I've played on my computer (before I lost the disc) and at friends houses.)
    Last edited by Deth Muncher; 2010-12-10 at 01:00 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Far Cry 2 should be mandatory. The tutorial is both huge and very bad, but once one perseveres through that it is absolutely brilliant.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, an EDF review.

It's quite good.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Oh, an EDF review.

It's quite good.
    ...when did EDF come out? I've absolutely never heard of it.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Massive disagreement on these two; there's too many mods out there to play them on a console.
    You see, I don't own a computer capable of running either, or their mods.

But yeah, if the computer is an option, go for it.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

...when did EDF come out? I've absolutely never heard of it.

It was a budget title.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

1. The Orange Box
    2. Grand Theft Auto IV
    3. Mass Effect 2
    4. BioShock
    5. Red Dead Redemption
    6. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    7. Gears of War
    8. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    9. Halo 3
    10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

These are must-haves, I think. Bolded are those that I felt were better on the PS3.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    1. The Orange Box
    2. Grand Theft Auto IV
    3. Mass Effect 2
    4. BioShock
    5. Red Dead Redemption
    6. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    7. Gears of War
    8. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    9. Halo 3
    10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

These are must-haves, I think. Bolded are those that I felt were better on the PS3.
    Funny, the only one of those I have - and likely will ever have - is Mass Effect 2. The rest are largely not to my tastes, being a bunch of shooters, mostly of the first-person variety.

Zevox

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Funny, the only one of those I have - and likely will ever have - is Mass Effect 2. The rest are largely not to my tastes, being a bunch of shooters, mostly of the first-person variety.

Zevox
    Is there really a point to that post? The OP seems to have intended to... You know what? I don't understand the point of this thread at all.
    trill in da playground

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anatharon View Post
    Is there really a point to that post?
    Yes, the same as to my first in the thread - challenging the entire notion of a "must-have" game.

Quote Originally Posted by Anatharon View Post
    The OP seems to have intended to... You know what? I don't understand the point of this thread at all.
    It's pretty much your standard "recommend me some games" thread, except framed differently.

Zevox