New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: ABR Discussion thread XXXV - Rise of the Pervsharks!

FI's goal is pretty much laid bare in my comic, that storyline is wide open for anyone and everyone to make comics in it.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

As unobtrusive as it is, I think the long, confusing and partially missing continuity for FI (FFF) makes it slighlty daunting to potential newbies... of course, all new plots would run the risk of that over time as well. Also, I don't personally like FI.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    FI's goal is pretty much laid bare in my comic, that storyline is wide open for anyone and everyone to make comics in it.
    The problem with FI is that it's still an intimidating plot to join because of the weight placed on it from being an FFF sequel. And all the FI comics preceeding yours had some pretty heavy and complex subject matter. And because your comic was really wordy and expositiony.

Really, I think we should just stop worrying about trying to recreate FFF and just do what we're doing now. Everybody has got something on their plate making ABR run slower then it once did, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Let's just continue our current stream of plots and eventually someone will write something that will spark up more interest in ABR as a whole.

A big selling point, for me anyway when I first joined, was that ABR was one big crossover for all forum characters. I think if the word of that got spread once again, we could see the insurgance of our group. There are several great, new fancomic writers on these boards trying to get their ideas out, and I think if they saw ABR as a conduit to showcase their ideas (a.k.a ABR backstory) then we will see more interested "youngsters" join.

That's my theory, anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Shirt Q View Post
    Really, I think we should just stop worrying about trying to recreate FFF...
    I didn't get to saying that in my other post, but I basically agree. We've seen that, while (for instance) FFF:R wasn't a bad idea in theory - reboots and such things don't really have staying power. We don't really need to recreate the "Wizard bad, etc..." plot, we just need something less intimidating for newbies. I kinda like Miridia, since there's no real continuity ties and there's still a lot vague enough that people can establish what they want - but it still needs a bit more plot-wise to get it really going, since only one character really has a goal, and it's vague enough that I don't really remember it.

We shouldn't really need to create a new basic plot, since we already have stuff to work with in that field. What we need is people to stop popping in, saying "Nobody's making comics" and then leaving again... without making comics. XD

We've got a nice new playground in things like Miridia. If it doesn't have what you want in it, put it in! It doesn't have the heavily established setting of something like FI yet, so there's a lot of freedom there. Who knows, maybe stuff you establish will stick once it does gain a proper continuity!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post
    None of the current plots are interesting.* Plus there seems to be a general lack of motivation in the air to really push the stories onward. There's just not enough interest/people around to really keep the ball rolling. Perhaps scrapping complicated plots entirely and going back to basics would be best until an influx of fresh meat arrives.

Of course, for that to happen, the word has to get out somehow. Maybe we could get permission to make a small "advertisement" thread in a more viewed subforum in order to attract newcomers back in? *shrugs*

Or somebody could splurge and bid on some of gitp's adspace.

* opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    I didn't get to saying that in my other post, but I basically agree. We've seen that, while (for instance) FFF:R wasn't a bad idea in theory - reboots and such things don't really have staying power. We don't really need to recreate the "Wizard bad, etc..." plot, we just need something less intimidating for newbies. I kinda like Miridia, since there's no real continuity ties and there's still a lot vague enough that people can establish what they want - but it still needs a bit more plot-wise to get it really going, since only one character really has a goal, and it's vague enough that I don't really remember it.

We shouldn't really need to create a new basic plot, since we already have stuff to work with in that field. What we need is people to stop popping in, saying "Nobody's making comics" and then leaving again... without making comics. XD

We've got a nice new playground in things like Miridia. If it doesn't have what you want in it, put it in! It doesn't have the heavily established setting of something like FI yet, so there's a lot of freedom there. Who knows, maybe stuff you establish will stick once it does gain a proper continuity!
    You introduced some weird time-lord traveller thing, right? That could start us on a plot =/
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

In my opinion, Future Imperfect is too complicated and possessing too large, incomplete and inaccessible of an established continuity to work well as an ABR plot. If it were up to me, I would start it up as a collaborative webcomic with much more planning and organisation and leave the more free-form plots to ABR.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Miridia is pretty much a more classic, basic ABR - heck, it even spawned from random kills! - the problem is at the moment there isn't really much of a goal. I could work on a brief intro to a more "basic" plot, but it'd probably wind down to, to paraphrase Spoony "Wizard bad! You Hero! GO KILL!" or something similar. Really, it's hard to get much simpler than the standard fantasy model.
    Don't do it. These things move much better as long as there is no such thing. Or it happens randomly.

In FFF1 the actual plot only came together out of throwaway jokes. Like Threeshades hitting on Leroy and randomly exclaiming something about an evil scheme.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Threeshades View Post
    Don't do it.
    Wasn't intending to. I was actually saying that it's already pretty basic, and can't get much more basic.

Really though, having a goal just helps focus the comics a bit so people get ideas easier. It's not really about structuring the thing, just giving us a vague semblance of an aim to point our comics at, which'd probably help people get into the flow of things.

As an aside - HT, the reason I dropped the time traveler was because I realized it'd be pretty much near impossible to do a time-continuity in something I can never know the direction of like one of these plots. Like... I can't really pull proper time shenanigans when there's no way for me to know what's going to happen next. That sort of thing only really works with planning, and I'd rather shy away from planning out the direction of a plot's story beyond, as mentioned before, a vague goal.

Also because it was a sort of throwaway joke before I actually decided to come back.
    Last edited by Darklord Bright; 2011-09-30 at 11:45 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    In my opinion, Future Imperfect is too complicated and possessing too large, incomplete and inaccessible of an established continuity to work well as an ABR plot.
    Am I the only one seeing the irony in you saying this? XD
    I'm technically but I refuse to admit it!
    Dawn of Yesterday (Resuming now!)
    Currently Developing the "PASSIVE™" RPG system
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    +1 to Fay being awesome, causing nosebleeds and etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    If Fay Graydon is visible to a male target, she deals d6 Nosebleed Damage per turn.
    I'm an Artist!, If you want an Avatar just PM me your specifics - Avatar by Me!

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Wasn't intending to. I was actually saying that it's already pretty basic, and can't get much more basic.

Really though, having a goal just helps focus the comics a bit so people get ideas easier. It's not really about structuring the thing, just giving us a vague semblance of an aim to point our comics at, which'd probably help people get into the flow of things.

As an aside - HT, the reason I dropped the time traveler was because I realized it'd be pretty much near impossible to do a time-continuity in something I can never know the direction of like one of these plots. Like... I can't really pull proper time shenanigans when there's no way for me to know what's going to happen next. That sort of thing only really works with planning, and I'd rather shy away from planning out the direction of a plot's story beyond, as mentioned before, a vague goal.

Also because it was a sort of throwaway joke before I actually decided to come back.
    You could easily make the time traveller constantly wrong, deluded, or as vague as possible.

"I am here to warn you that the crazy necromancer is going to transport you to the country and/or continent of Miridia."
    "That already happened!"

In addition, when the main problem with an ABR plot is that there is NO plot to speak of, a timelord would be a good character to add. He/she would have vast knowledge of ancient artifacts, past events and major spells to go on and find a plot for our 'heroes'.

The only idea I have at the moment is making a pervshark shapeshift into a half-naked woman and ask them to come save their city or something ridiculous like that.

Also for someone to ask why Ketham is apparently the only named male character
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2011-10-02 at 09:42 PM.

Extended Sig

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: ABR Discussion thread XXXV - Rise of the Pervsharks!

I, uhm, have some ideas. *Deep breath*

We could have the pervsharks refuse anyone leaving Miridia until they get a special shiny thing and the locals asking for help with getting it!

Or we could have manticores fleeing from evil griffin pirates and needing their help to stop the griffins from getting the shiny!

Or maybe a tribe of Kobolds emerge from underground and create confusion when asking for directions!

Or cupcakes! Everything's better with cupcakes!

*Ahem* Sorry about that, my idea side is also my Pinkie Pie side.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm. Is Q's character actually at the scene in Miridia? I recall something being said about not actually having introduced him yet.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. Is Q's character actually at the scene in Miridia? I recall something being said about not actually having introduced him yet.
    That's what I was waiting on there, actually =/

Extended Sig

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh well, I'll just finish up these templates then. It's kinda fun to do, but these new things require a couple separate templates for each character.

I gave Q's character my "Cartoonishly muscular" template. I dunno if that's appropriate, but it's barrel-chested and manly-chinned, and I think it looks pretty dang awesome in a silly way.

Edit: Posted a tiny little Miridia comic to continue the Coconut scene.
    Last edited by Darklord Bright; 2011-10-03 at 06:33 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

You can use the character if you want, but don't expect me to make any comics role-playing as him.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Aw man, now I'm not sure whether to wait for Grlump (or someone else) to make a comic, or just to make a continuation and edit it in. I mean, I kinda like to give people a chance to react to the new, silly situation, but I'm sure HT for one would appreciate someone sparking something with those characters so he doesn't have to sit around bored anymore.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Aw man, now I'm not sure whether to wait for Grlump (or someone else) to make a comic, or just to make a continuation and edit it in. I mean, I kinda like to give people a chance to react to the new, silly situation, but I'm sure HT for one would appreciate someone sparking something with those characters so he doesn't have to sit around bored anymore.
    SNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEE E...

... wait, what? Are we doing something fun now?

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #228
    Bugbear in the Playground

You're going to have to wait for a few days for me to have time to make a comic. You can if you want, however, feel free to add more stuff, gives me more to bounce off!
    Grlump the Elder, a Lvl. 5 Gnome Barbarian with a penchant for food.

Want an Avatar? ¦ I'm Building a Dalek ¦ Arthur B. Fittlewick: Dinosaur Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Grlump is way cool. That's too few words for how cool I think he is...

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Ariel from The Little Mermaid makes stupid faces when she sings.

I should make a comic for something but I don't know what.

Help me decide.
    ____

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Try all-new FI, it's like FFF, but with aliens, robots, and bananas!

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Lies! I haven't seen a single banana! I also don't remember any aliens or robots, but I don't doubt those being in FI.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: ABR Discussion thread XXXV - Rise of the Pervsharks!

That reminds me, is the stuff with the attack on the undead city still canon?

I don't remember the bananas either, but I do remember aliens, robots and alien robot nanites! They were adorably evil.

And now back to trying to successfully draw a comic!

*Keveaks off*
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

I'll try to make an FI comic but between work and school projects... It's gonna be a while

Extended Sig

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

There we go, guys, I edited in a comic for HT and CA in my last post.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Lies! I haven't seen a single banana! I also don't remember any aliens or robots, but I don't doubt those being in FI.
    Just to remind you:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

I wouldn't blame people for considering my comic a reboot since the whole Merinas situation has very greatly stagnated and carries a lot of weight on it that will undoubtably dissuade people.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2011-10-16 at 11:29 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

{Scrubbed}
    You are legitimately beginning to irritate me Q.
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2011-10-16 at 11:30 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2011-10-16 at 11:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's face it, FI is dead. ABR is in its death throes. It's been up for four years, 3 months and 21 days, which is quite a long period of time. There's almost no activity anymore. Interest has waned.

ABR is assuredly going to die a slow death unless someone or something manages to attract a continuous surge of newcomers again. And I don't believe that something to be Future Imperfect, at least not the way it is now.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2011-10-15 at 06:16 PM.