New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default L-Space WW 2 [RECRUITING]

“Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter.”
    “Ideas are bulletproof.”
    “It is never 'only a dream'... here less than some other places.”

Sentient minds are perhaps the most dangerous things in the universe. The power of imagination, of invention, of the dreams and ideas we mull over and the stories we tell ourselves every day and the knowledge we accumulate cannot be understated. L-Space, the mysterious means by which all collections of knowledge in the form of books are connected, transcending time, space, and any other dimensions you care to invent, is merely the physical manifestation of that power.
    That we are lost, and far from our own homes, with no means of accurately navigating these shelves – that is bad enough. But we are also being hunted. The knowledge and imagination distilled in the books all around has a mind of its own, and not all the writings are benevolent... L-Space is short on sticks and stones, but full of words, and if you think they'll never hurt you, you're likely to spend the rest of your existence as little more than words yourself.

Rules and Roles
    Spoiler
    Show
    Days 48 hours, nights 24, votes must be in red, changed votes must be struck through, and new votes must be made in a new post. Autolynches after three days.

Roles
    Lost reader: You lost your way one day in a library or bookshop. Now you're stuck in L-Space and the Malevolent Writings, disguised amongst you, are picking you off one by one.
    You win if you eliminate the Malevolent Writings.
    (Villagers)

Book Club: You were at a book club meeting when you made your way into L-Space. You are in the same position as the regular Lost Readers, only with the advantage that you know your fellow Book Club members.
    (Masons)

Priest: You are a priest of Curly, Goddess of the Written Word. By praying to Her each night (And PMing the narrator), you may protect one person from being slain by the Malevolent Writings.
    (Baner)

Archivist: As a skilled archivist, each night, by referring to records (And PMing the narrator), you can determine whether someone is a real person or an avatar of the Malevolent Writings.
    (Seer)

Malevolent Writings: You are various negative sentiments, expressed through the written word, and now embodied to wreak havoc amongst the humans. You do not know each other. Each night, you choose a target for a kill (And PM this choice to the narrator). The target with most votes dies, unless it is one of you, in which case you are put in contact with each other. In the event of a tie, the target will be randomised between those with the most votes.
    Additionally, as you are embodiments of knowledge, you can absorb knowledge or abilities from your targets.
    If you kill a Book Club member, some of you will be put in contact with each other.
    If you kill the Priest, you gain a one time extra kill for each time someone was successfully protected, to a minimum of one extra kill. However you may not make more than 2 kills per night.
    If you kill the Archivist, one of you gains a scry ability (Which gives specific roles, not just human/writing).
    You win if you reduce the numbers of everyone else to equal your numbers.
    (Wolves, with an extra ability)

NOW RECRUITING.

Player List:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Banjo1985
    Duck999
    Internet Flea
    Tasroth
    Last edited by Thufir; 2014-07-02 at 07:55 AM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: L-Space WW 2 [RECRUITING]

I'll join.

Wasn't planning on joining more games, but this needs to get knocked up the thread I think.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    I actually have two theories on why you're doing this, but neither make much sense and you would have to be insane to try them. It seems you are insane, which is great for my theories.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZarethG View Post
    I see your point, Internet Flea. However, I don't retract my assessment of your sanity.
    What kind of paranoid mind sees that as something else. ~ The Narrator, during Stranded in Space.

(Sugar Shock avatar by Dirtytabs.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Didn't play the first one, and this looks simple enough for me to be able to actually contribute properly to it. In.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

You know I'm In.
    What do you mean "Dungeon Master" isn't a proper job?

Thanks to Thufir for the avatar.

D&D Characters Past and Present:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Honest Man (3.5 LG human fighter), Princess Kailee (4e Good elf cleric), Elric (4e Good human paladin)
    Talia Dakashnit (3.5 CE human fighter), Gabriel Stryfe (d20 Modern fast hero), Tacin Willow (3.5 NG human fighter//bard)

GitP Blood Bowl Legacy League - Season 3 recruiting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll join. I read so much that I can't not join something that has to do witn reading, even in the smallest way.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Interesting.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Looks fun. I'm in.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

A couple of concerns about the setup:
    With the bonus kills wolves get per successful bane by the priest, there is almost no point in protecting anyone who isn't a powerrole. It encourages boring auto-self-bane.
    With no fool, voider, or other means to prevent this, there is a high probability[1] that the statistically best strategy for Town is for the Priest to claim D1 (receiving Mason and Baner claims) and for Town to No Lynch repeatedly except when the Priest scries Guilty until the Baner is finally killed by luck. Extremely boring. This is exacerbated by the wolves being blind, which means that vote analysis is unlikely to be fruitful anyway, and that wolves will sometimes miss kills to each other.

[1]mafiascum, a very serious mafia site
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2014-07-06 at 05:15 PM.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saposhiente View Post
    A couple of concerns about the setup:
    With the bonus kills wolves get per successful bane by the priest, there is almost no point in protecting anyone who isn't a powerrole. It encourages boring auto-self-bane.
    I disagree. It is always in the Baner's best interest to bane successfully (How to give him/herself the best chances of that is of course a decision for the individual), because more successful banes means more living townies so they have a better chance of winning. The bonus kills once s/he's dead merely allow the Wolves to undo his/her good work and even things out again, if they have enough time to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Saposhiente View Post
    With no fool, voider, or other means to prevent this, there is a high probability that the statistically best strategy for Town is for the Priest to claim D1 (receiving Mason and Baner claims) and for Town to No Lynch repeatedly except when the Priest scries Guilty until the Baner is finally killed by luck. Extremely boring. This is exacerbated by the wolves being blind, which means that vote analysis is unlikely to be fruitful anyway, and that wolves will sometimes miss kills to each other.
    It's never happened in my experience, and I'm sure there have been games with no Fool or Voider in the past. That said, I'm entirely willing to tweak the rules - I always wanted there to be a bit more to this game, so long as it didn't get too complicated.
    On the other hand, in this hypothetical scenario of yours, what happens if one of the Wolves also claims Seer?
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    I disagree. It is always in the Baner's best interest to bane successfully (How to give him/herself the best chances of that is of course a decision for the individual), because more successful banes means more living townies so they have a better chance of winning. The bonus kills once s/he's dead merely allow the Wolves to undo his/her good work and even things out again, if they have enough time to do so.
    The problem is that unless the wolves run out of time to do all of the kills or the successful bane targets are announced, all that ultimately happens is that the same number of villagers die, but they meanwhile survive longer--which is actually bad for town, because it means they're more likely to mislynch.
    It's never happened in my experience, and I'm sure there have been games with no Fool or Voider in the past. That said, I'm entirely willing to tweak the rules - I always wanted there to be a bit more to this game, so long as it didn't get too complicated.
    On the other hand, in this hypothetical scenario of yours, what happens if one of the Wolves also claims Seer?
    Yes, for a sufficiently large pack this is the correct play, but the wolves still have a 50% chance of being screwed over even worse. It has probably never happened partially because of the culture here: People would know that this strategy would lead to a boring game, and because of that choose not to use it. On mafiascum, if someone ran convincing enough numbers most people would be willing to experiment and throw the game into the numbers. Still, I believe in the design principle of making the play that lets the game be interesting the best play, and even when Town doesn't exclusively pursue this strategy Classic players know that many days become boring follow-the-Seer-megawagon days.
    You say you're interested in adding a bit more to the game. There's actually a lot you can do that would combat this strategy: In addition to Classic's Fool combating it, the presence of the Alpha and Devil also reduce the power of the Seer. Unfortunately your Devil doesn't arrive until after the Seer dies. One thing you could possibly do that would simultaneously destroy this strategy and add a unique but simple element to the game would be to replace the Baner with Mafiascum's new darling role: the Jailkeeper, the combo Baner+Voider. This eliminates both auto-Seer-bane and auto-self-bane. Traditionally, the wolves also designate one person to conduct the kill and if this person is put in Jail the kill fails, though you'd have to have some system for this with blind wolves and it's not a critical part of the role.
    The other thing that I would like to see in this game, and that might actually add more to it for me, is something to make vote analysis actually meaningful in the early game. As is, with blind wolves, it's mostly random. Any Wolf or Neutral role(s) that knows the identity of one or more people at the start of the game--either wanting to protect or to lynch them--would create something for Town to actually look for with analysis.
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2014-07-06 at 11:03 PM.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Yeah, I'll do this. Sounds great!
    PbP games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Seven Adventurers of Chamar: Running

WW games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Careless Investigation: Running/Recruiting

Titles earned:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Follower of Lolth
    Cataloger of Silly Games
    Lolthdisciple
    The One Who Took The Cookies From The Cookie Jar

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

If it actually happens
    PbP games:
    Spoiler
    Show

WW games:
    Spoiler
    Show

Titles earned:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Follower of Lolth
    Cataloger of Silly Games
    Lolthdisciple

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by lolthfollower View Post
    If it actually happens
    It's not scheduled to start for 4 more days, though even then it probably needs more players to start.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

It has 1 more. In.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Been a while since anyones posted, too
    PbP games:
    Spoiler
    Show

WW games:
    Spoiler
    Show

Titles earned:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Follower of Lolth
    Cataloger of Silly Games
    Lolthdisciple

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

I'm dropping out. taking too long to start
    PbP games:
    Spoiler
    Show

WW games:
    Spoiler
    Show

Titles earned:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Follower of Lolth
    Cataloger of Silly Games
    Lolthdisciple

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

In. No shennanigans this time I promise

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

INnervation. INner Strength. How many words are there that start with "in"?
    Hello there, fine sir~! I am Yumori.

Yu-mo-ree

Spoiler: Hello
    Show
    there.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

Insanely innumerable. Infinite? Inconceivably! Incomparable inter-twixt infinitesimal integers. Intoxication incoming? Indubitably - intently inebriated indoors. Interim, inanimate insects intervene inside; innocuous indifference, inaction interfere, indicating injustice? Innocence? Inculpability? Instead, insidious innuendos inhibit intellect. <- Inherently incomprehensible? Indeed... ...intended.

In? Inevitably.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Updated recruitment?

Internet Flea
    Banjo1985
    Tasroth
    Duck999
    AskthePizzaGuy (?)
    Firedaemon33
    Saposhiente (?)
    lolthfollower
    Lex-Kat
    Qwaz
    Yumori123
    Count Dingdong

Looks like we have 9 players with 2 possibles and 1 drop-out. How many more do you need​?

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

I'll be in as well
    Darn it Whisper !

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, I'll bite.
    This is the end. Unless, possibly, it isn't.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Count me in.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

I can come back if you still need players.
    PbP games:
    Spoiler
    Show

WW games:
    Spoiler
    Show

Titles earned:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Follower of Lolth