New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Favorite Arcs?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Favorite Arcs?

So, while Rich is on a much-deserved break, and hopefully behaving himself while he heals and not giving Mrs. Giant too much grief...

I'm re-reading the Archives. And it occurred to me that the entire run of OOTS is made of pure, unadulterated awesome, but we all have our favorites, the ones we go back to time and again when we're in need of a Stick-Fix.

One of my personal preferences is the sequence in Greysky City from strip #601 concluding in strip #622, where Haley, Celia, and Belkar are beseiged by the Thieves' Guild. Haley gets to shine like nobody's business, Celia is consistently hilarious, and the strip where Belkar is visited by the Shojo-vision and the action intercuts between Roy and Celia, Belkar and Shojo, and Crystal and Haley had me on the edge of my seat. For a comic about stick-figures. Awesomeness squared.

THEN, Belkar gets to save the day, Celia gets to save the day, and Haley gets to triumph, in that order. There are lots and lots of amazing arcs in the strip, and I'm enjoying the re-read, but this one gets my vote for coolest run.

Anybody else care to play?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite Arcs?

The siege of Azure City is pretty high on my list, though the New Year's sequence was rather fun, too. Azure City probably hits the high points for me, up to and including the crowning moment of "Ghost-Martyrs of the Sapphire Guard -- ATTACK!"
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

As it's called in the book, Heroism for Dummies (#377-400).
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

My favorite arc is a rainbow.

(Oh, you meant favorite story arc? In that case, probably Elan's The End of Innocence, starting with "I am your father", and ending with 200-foot flaming letters. Or possibly Elan & Julio.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

My favourite is the Desert Arc, all the way from its beginning to the formation of the latest version of the Linear Guild.

But "Land of the Rising..." would be the best singular strip.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

My favorite stretch would probably be the DSTP set, especially towards the beginning. We get to see new angles on the characters acting in unusual situations. Also, O-Chul.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I would go with the whole sequence from #336 to #400. "Elan grows up", as I like to think of it.

(Followed by the Therkla arc, which highlights Elan's new "responsible" character.)
    Last edited by veti; 2012-10-02 at 09:16 PM.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, I think it's a tie between Start of Darkness and the StickTales version of Hamlet for me.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Right, and thanks friends. I agree that "Land of the Rising" may indeed be the single most awesome strip in the whole series (and not for lack of other examples to choose from) and the look on Xykon's face at the end is absolutely priceless.

Elan and Julio Scoundrel? Check. Heartwarming and hilarious, even though Elan isn't one of my favorite characters. I have to grant him his moments, though. He got a time to shine confronting Kubota and then burying Therkla, and I loved his honesty with Haley when they reunited.

Abolutely anything involving O-Chul and/or the MITD is wonderful and fun to re-read.

On the villain side, there's Redcloak. His second-best arc began with his change of heart regarding the hobgoblins. His best arc, horrifying though it was, started when he crushed the Azure City Resistance and then took out Therkla effortlessly, and you got a sense of just what a ruthless chessmaster he could be when the occasion called for it. I look forward to seeing what else Rich has up his sleeve for him. (But I can wait, Rich. No rush. Take your time and get better.)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Bagger Baggins View Post
    On the villain side, there's Redcloak. [...] His second-best arc began with his change of heart regarding the hobgoblins. His best arc, horrifying though it was, started when he crushed the Azure City Resistance and then took out Therkla effortlessly[...]
    Redcloak killed Therkla???

I think you may have the wrong mixed-up young woman here...
    Last edited by Caractacus; 2012-10-06 at 04:25 PM.
    Caractacus

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

No, see, it was Redcloak, using a disguise spell to look like Kubota, who actually poisoned Therkla to throw the Order into confusion....

Not buying it, huh?

Okay, Tsukiko, then, and thanks for the correction. What can I say? It's Saturday, and I shut my brain off at 5 PM yesterday.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm a big fan of Dorukan arc (Dungeon Crawling Fools, I think). It isn't as serious, and the plot is shallow at best, but it's light-hearted and funny, and it gets props for that.

My favorite "real" arc is Don't Split the Party, because it's so chaotic. Elan/Durkon/V, Belkar/Haley, and Roy are engaged in various problems, and it was fun and satisfying seeing everything wrap up nicely. The Greysky City arc was really fun, since it gave depth to Haley, a favorite of mine.
    Thanks to flumphy for the avatar

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Gonna agree with Belkar in Greysky, although the siege of Azure City and Team Evil post-Vaarsuvius are up there as well. Also, the Orc Island. Comic relief at its finest - while still contributing to the plot!
    !

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

i just love the Redcloak Arc, in which he finally crushed the resistance, took out Tsukiko, and switched the amulet.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I am particular to Dungeon of Durokan. Sure, the story is lacking, but it is the start of my favourite webcomic and it reminds me of times when life was easier and more... fun.

It also still holds the best value as far as pure comedy goes and I am very fond of this, especially at these times. I also like the making fun of the system. In short, it's classic.

Not to say I don't find other parts good, because I do. But I really think that right now, Dungeon of Durokan is my favourite.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    It also still holds the best value as far as pure comedy goes and I am very fond of this, especially at these times. I also like the making fun of the system. In short, it's classic.
    I feel kind of churlish saying this given the way your post reads... but I always thought OOTS became funnier as it moved away from D&D humor to general humor. I don't think any of my favorite punchlines are rules-related.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bagger Baggins View Post
    One of my personal preferences is the sequence in Greysky City from strip #601 concluding in strip #622, where Haley, Celia, and Belkar are beseiged by the Thieves' Guild.
    Me too.
    Belkar's "turn of the tide" moment is totally drool inducing.
    I'd blend the "Thieves' Guild saga" together with the "Darth V saga".
    They're one after the other, and these two events are what bring the OotS back together from the brink of destruction.
    Also, they put the focus on my two favourite OotS members (although Haley has a large part, too) and change them radically.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I would go with Azure City as well.

The Ghost Martyrs of the Azure Guard and O-Chul are just great, and I like Hinjo and the paladin-couple. And "Mass Enlarge Person" and Greater Invisibility Zombie Dragon.
    "Badass... REAL Badass!"
    And the Sexy, shoeless GOD OF WAR!!!

All my favorite moments are around there.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    I am particular to Dungeon of Durokan. Sure, the story is lacking, but it is the start of my favourite webcomic and it reminds me of times when life was easier and more... fun...

...."I'm a pineapple chunk!"

'nuff said. the defense rests.
    Last edited by Kalrany; 2012-10-08 at 02:23 PM.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players were attacked individually on the road on the way to town by werewolves. To survive, they had to team up then and there without knowing anything about eachother (literally -- all character sheets were completed without other players' knowledge).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Strangely enough, I enjoy re-reading the Bandit Camp story a lot. It's basically my go-to arc when I want to get a quick OOTS fix.

It's not nearly as epic as most of the later stuff, but it works for me.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Darth V/Xykon fight. Small as it may be, it's packed full of drama, tension, and character development. It had V not only at the height of her power, with all the arrogance such supremacy brings, but it also completely strips her to her core, and I really liked that when she was at her very end, wholly defeated and nearly dead, with one choice left - run away and likely live, or stay to help and likely die - that she chose to try to help.

It had O-Chul's entire essence in those few strips, his willingness to endure months of torture for his cause, his unshakable will and bravery, his belief in goodness in his dialogue with the MitD, and his sheer badassery.

654 is the best strip so far in my mind. There's so much packed into that last "O-CHUL!" Even the ever-childlike and quasi-innocent MitD knows that absolutely everything is about to go down. Still gives me shivers every time I read it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

So hard to choose...
    I'd say Clifport city and almost tie the Miko arc from the firs encounter to the process.
    After years of disintoxication I'm back in the D&D tunnel

"I don’t understand God. I don’t understand how He could see the way people treat one another, and not chalk up the whole human race as a bad idea. I guess He’s just bigger about it than I would be."
    Jim Butcher-Dresden Files, book 3

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    As it's called in the book, Heroism for Dummies (#377-400).
    Thanks for linking this. Rereading the line "I wish this was a democracy so I could vote for that guy" made my day.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've got a particular affection for the entire Azure City sequence, partly because it was just straight up big, and partly because it's when, I feel, the Giant really hit his stride, both drama and comedy-wise.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Soul Splice takes my vote. It has, in my opinion, the best dialogue, fights, character development, and a 12th Level Spell Slot.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    The Darth V/Xykon fight. Small as it may be, it's packed full of drama, tension, and character development. It had V not only at the height of her power, with all the arrogance such supremacy brings, but it also completely strips her to her core, and I really liked that when she was at her very end, wholly defeated and nearly dead, with one choice left - run away and likely live, or stay to help and likely die - that she chose to try to help.

It had O-Chul's entire essence in those few strips, his willingness to endure months of torture for his cause, his unshakable will and bravery, his belief in goodness in his dialogue with the MitD, and his sheer badassery.

654 is the best strip so far in my mind. There's so much packed into that last "O-CHUL!" Even the ever-childlike and quasi-innocent MitD knows that absolutely everything is about to go down. Still gives me shivers every time I read it.
    This is why it is my favorite arc, too. (Also, I like "Guess what spell I cast before giving this to the bird")
    white text is the bestest you might want to look for it
    DeviantART