New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The CHALLENGE continues!

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Glass Mouse, do you still have the setting stuff I PMed you? I ended up losing most of it recently because my computer messed up...
    I never delete PMs entirely, so I should have it somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up

Edit: Found it, but your PM box is full. Should I post it in this thread, or will you empty the PM box so I can send it there?
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2012-07-17 at 10:45 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

Oops. Sorry about that; there should have been room, but someone apparently felt it necessary to send a PM to test if I had room in my inbox before sending the thing they actually wanted to PM me. It's clear now.

And thanks!

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

Status!

Glass Mouse passes with a 1864 word short story.

ShadowySilence uploaded a poem. Are you still with us?

C'nor didn't send me anything.

HeadlessMermaid passes with six different photographs.

The Grimmace passes with the usual abundance of eight molecular poems, six microdreams, six longer poems, and two haikus.

Thus, ShadowySilence og C'nor FAIL this round!

Glass Mouse, HeadlessMermaid and The Grimmace PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 91 weeks
    Longest run: -

ShadowySilence
    Current run: -
    Longest run: 4 weeks

C'nor
    Longest run: 1 week

HeadlessMermaid
    Current run: 5 weeks

The Grimmace
    Current run: 5 weeks

It's C'nor's turn to choose a theme

I've used my Google Doc so consistently these last months that I've just included the link in my name (on the list). For those curious, every Sunday(ish) I upload my writings to the doc and delete the old ones.

By the way, C'nor, did you know that you can download all your PMs in a single file? It's at the bottom of the colomn, hidden in the "Move to folder..." option.
    I just thought it might be useful if you have a lot of PMs you want to save without clogging up the inbox
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

*looks around and notices a tumbleweed blow by* Will you look at that, it's time for status!

Glass Mouse passes with seven drawings, from Harlequin to self-portrait.

ShadowySilence is out due to disappearance.

C'nor didn't send me anything. Did you disappear?

HeadlessMermaid passes with six photographs, mostly of city details.

The Grimmace passes with eight poems, four moleculars, one haiku, two microdreams and 310 words of prose.

Thus, ShadowySilence og C'nor FAIL this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 92 weeks

ShadowySilence
    Longest run: 4 weeks

C'nor

HeadlessMermaid
    Current run: 6 weeks

The Grimmace
    Current run: 6 weeks

It's HeadlessMermaid's turn to choose a theme

Most of my pictures this week are in the Google Doc in crappy camera quality. They're for a meme, and I had no scanner, so I didn't want to inflict them on DA yet.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

5. - Top - End - #575
    Barbarian in the Playground

Um, OK, how about... helmets. Motorcycle, astronaut, construction worker, knight, whatever. Good luck!
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed I did. I forgot that I'd signed up for a class right after the play, so I suddenly had considerably less time than I'd thought I would.

I've been somewhat inspired on that backstory I was writing when I last posted here, though, so there'll at least be something from me this week... I'm not up for digging through my subscribed threads to find it right now, but it's currently in the Nexus Stories thread over in the FFRP section, under the title 'Dreams and Nightmares', just in case I forget to actually link to it at some point.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ogre in the Playground

As it turns out, this was a very good week for my writing. I got two new entries done in Talina's backstory, and a couple of insanely long posts written in an LoC game, all of which add up to 3,514 words.

Here are the backstory entries, in chronological order:

Dreams and Nightmares - Part 0: Thank you, please come again (Talina, Nycca)

Spoiler
    Show

Gods. I feel like finding someplace quiet and drinking hemlock, or something like it. Not that I will, because then no-one would look after the girls - the people here listen to me when I tell them they need to change something, maybe because I'm one of the few people willing to come here and help the girls without reporting them, and they're afraid I'll leave - but...

I didn't come three days ago because the streets were flooded, and then I had other places where I was supposed to go help people until now, so I didn't get a chance to get back here until I would have anyway. And after all, it's not like anyone had anything that the instructions I'd left with the girls wouldn't cover, so in theory, it should have been fine.

The thing is, they stuck Nycca into what they call the 'blind room'. The place is filled with photo lights; everything but the floor is covered with them, and they're left on permanently. And of course, her eyes are sensitive enough even to normal light, besides the fact that the damn things made it an oven, and got rid of pretty much any water in the air.

I pulled her out, and got something that will hopefully repair at least the worst of the damage into her eyes, plus some painkillers and a potion to restore her fluid levels, since she was dehydrated as hell, then got the bindings off her wings, and sat with her until she managed to get to sleep (which didn't take all that long, as she'd barely been able to get any sleep in there), but she wouldn't be anywhere near as badly off if I'd gotten here as soon as the streets weren't flooded...

I also want to take the one who ordered it, give him something to dilate his pupils, and shove him in there for a while, but I'm not going to do that, either, for the same reasons.

I did throw a royal fit once she was out, though. Told them that if they put anyone - but especially her - in there again, I'd make sure whoever did it got something to make them impotent for the rest of their lives, so at least that shouldn't happen again. Though I'm going to start coming in every day now, instead of every three anyway.

(413 words)

Dreams and Nightmares (Rewritten) - Part 1: Entrance (Talina, Nycca)

Spoiler
    Show
    I've done what I can, for now. The Harbingers have been informed that there's a slave-brothel in Fenwood. Or rather that there's one at a specific place, currently in operation; I'm sure they knew that there are probably dozens, given the size of the district, but sending enough people out to find them is impossible, even with magic, psionics and whatever crazy tech they've got.

Now it's just a matter of doing what I can to help the girls there while I wait, whether with potions when they get sick or just giving them a shoulder to cry on. Nothing else I can do, without getting myself arrested, and probably letting the ones running the place get away in the process. So why do I feel like crap for not doing more?

Dreams and Nightmares (Rewritten) - Part 2: Cleansing Flames (Talina, Nycca)

Spoiler
    Show
    It's been two weeks, and the Harbingers have done nothing. Apparently, it was easier for them to 'misfile' my report than actually do something about it. Bloody bastards.

But it doesn't matter now, I suppose. The place is burning merrily as I write this, despite the drizzle. Turns out they weren't expecting the 'healer-witch' who came in and tended to the girls to be able to sling combat spells for some reason. Guess they didn't realize that when most of what you do is sympathetic magic, anyone clever and with power can figure out all sorts of nasty things...

Anyway, everyone is out now. Finding work for them, and a place to stay in the meantime, is going to be hard, but they seem to be pretty resilient, so at least they should be mostly okay once I have. Not that they're fine, of course, but they will recover, with time and help.

Or most of them will, anyway. I'm worried about one in particular; a batgirl of some kind. From what one of the others could tell me - she wouldn't, or couldn't, speak, and I didn't push her - her name is Nycca, and she just... Stopped eating soon after she was captured. Poor girl looks like she was in one of the Veilking's prison camps back in the Starsong War. But all I can do is my best, and pray to Chaedarcha she recovers, and worrying about her here isn't going to help, even if it does make me feel better.

(These are basically the original two entries, and thus don't count for this week's Challenge. They're simply included here so that people who are interested in the story don't have to go hunting for them.)

Dreams and Nightmares - Part 3: That Sleep of Death...

Spoiler
    Show
    Nycca’s started writing a journal now. She doesn’t like to talk, so I suggested she might find it worked better for her, and judging by the fact that she's using the one I gave her, it seems like it does. Of course, spending her time hidden off upstairs writing has made her even more withdrawn. Sometimes it feels like whatever I do to try to help her, she turns it around somehow so that the consequences leave her worse off than she was before... Not that I think she's doing it because she has something against me or anything like that, but it does get frustrating.

And she's still shivering all the time, and not putting on any weight. I don't know why. She's been getting food, and the supplements and potions I've been giving her should have helped with the malnutrition by now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Apparently, Nycca doesn't want to keep living; she's been giving her food to Lenia, and putting the blankets we give her back as soon as we aren't looking. The same with everything else.

I'm not angry with her, more... Sad, and frustrated that I can't seem to help her. I did sit with her for a while, though, which she seems to like. I don't know if she could be said to enjoy it, exactly, but she seems like she appreciates it, and it does seem to make her feel better for a bit.

She's also hooked up to an IV now, so that she'll at least be getting some sort of nutrition, and I can make sure that the potions I make are actually used. She doesn't like it, but what am I supposed to do? Let her starve herself? If she asked me for poison, I don't know what my answer would be at this point, but I won't let her die like that.

Her nightmares are still bad too, but Sherry's going to be sleeping next to her, and I'm working on figuring out the sympathies to help. I'd do the same thing Sherry is while I am - I don't think Nycca would mind - but there are just so many other things I have to do... Most nights I've ended up falling asleep over my work, or laying down on the couch to wait for my head to clear because I can't see straight, and then finding out in the morning that the minute or two it was supposed to be ended up with my passing out for a few hours.

(431 words)

For those who read that and are interested, there's a companion story being written by Nycca's player, the current entries in which can be found here and here.

The first LoC post, which comes in at 878 words. The second, which is 1792 words long, can be found here

Also, I don't suppose that I can get credit for next week too, since I did twice as much as I needed to this week, can I?

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

Status time! Sorry about the slight lateness, I was without internet all of yesterday so I had to spend the morning catching up on some work-related things. Anyway!

Glass Mouse passes with 5.187 words of fantasy novel.

C'nor is back with style. He passes with 3.514 words of RPG backstories.

HeadlessMermaid passes with seven pieces worth of photos, from urban details to human portraits.

The Grimmace passes with four molecular poems, six poems, four microdreams and 331 words of prose.

Thus, no one FAILS this round!

Glass Mouse, C'nor, HeadlessMermaid and The Grimmace PASS this round!

We rock! One more week, Headless and Grimmace, and you'll get a prize

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 93 weeks

C'nor
    Current run: 1 week

HeadlessMermaid
    Current run: 7 weeks

The Grimmace
    Current run: 7 weeks

It's The Grimmace's turn to choose a theme

Great job, C'nor! I have to disappoint you, though, you can't spill over between the weeks. Would be nice, though. I could live off a few "writing rush" weeks all year

I kiiiinda sorta promised myself and my writing group that I'd write a novel before September. No idea if I can pull it off, but expect lots and lots of writings (and not many drawings) from me the next few weeks.
    And I had a nice idea for the helmet theme, too. Shoot.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

9. - Top - End - #579
    Dwarf in the Playground

Let's make the theme force. That's a good theme, I think.
    Awesome Lion Avatar by the wonderful Mr. Saturn. Thanks

I have a bloog now. Go check it out if you love strange poetry.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ogre in the Playground

Force, eh? Well, Kansheri is in the middle of a multi-deity war, so that shouldn't be too hard...

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel.... Star Wars.....
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

12. - Top - End - #582

Reminder!
    I'm away on a trip, I have access to the internet (obviously), and I'm taking a lot of photos, but I can't upload them. There'll be an influx eventually, but not before Monday-Tuesday.

Cheers. :)
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ogre in the Playground

Mermaid, I'll account for that

To you all: I'm away too, and I'll be back Monday, so status may post as late as evening (usual time is 11 am). Just wanted to give you a heads-up.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

Phew! Finally home and ready to do the status!

Glass Mouse passes with 6277 words of fantasy novel.

C'nor didn't send me/link to anything.

HeadlessMermaid passes with six photographs of various Lisbon city sights.

The Grimmace passes with four poems, four micropoems, three haikus and one molecular poem.

Thus, C'nor FAILS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 94 weeks

C'nor

HeadlessMermaid
    Current run: 8 weeks

The Grimmace
    Current run: 8 weeks

It's my turn to choose a theme, and I say (keeping in theme with my novel) possession

Grimmace: Two things.
    1) I count poems and haikus in regards to the Challenge, but microdreams and molecular poems are too short to count. It's not relevant right now, but I thought you should know.
    2) You just passed eight weeks, which means you earned a prize! I'll draw you one drawing of anything SFW and within my skill level - here are most of my previous prizes. Shoot me a PM or let me know here what you want me to draw
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2012-08-16 at 05:55 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

Gah, sorry. I have the stuff done, I think, but I've been out all day.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ogre in the Playground

Gah, sorry. I have the stuff done, I think, but I've been out all day.
    Send it to me asap, and I'll let you pass
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Send it to me asap, and I'll let you pass
    It turns out it looked like I'd written a lot more than I actually had, especially since some things that were half-finished I made changes to and/or completed after the deadline, making it a nightmare to figure out what's from when, so it seems I don't actually have enough.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

Aw, that's a shame. Next week, then!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ogre in the Playground

Hopefully, yes. I should have a fair start already, in fact, if recent posts are anything to go by...

20. - Top - End - #590

I'm back, and I uploaded the first quick batch - thanks for waiting! :)

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

Aye. Sorry it took a few days, but I've been away (again-again). The post is updated now.

And Headless, those photos mean that you've passed 8 weeks, which means you earn a prize, just like Grimmace. 'Grats, and let me know!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

Status!

Glass Mouse passes with 2095 words of novel, mostly a chapter about the main character getting possessed by her mother's spirit.

C'nor didn't send me/link to anything. Edit: I received 2,016 words worth of setting descriptions and RPing.

HeadlessMermaid passes with seven vacation photos. Edit: Make that six, mostly city and church photos.

The Grimmace passes with four poems and a 2683 words short story about a white canary.

Thus, no one FAILS this round!

Glass Mouse, C'nor, HeadlessMermaid and The Grimmace PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 95 weeks

C'nor
    Current run: 1 week

HeadlessMermaid
    Current run: 9 weeks

The Grimmace
    Current run: 9 weeks

It's C'nor's turn to choose a theme

Jeez, I've been away non-stop (at three different places) for the past eleven days. Minimum of writing done. Oh well - gotta chug on and get as far as I can with that novel :)

@The Grimmace: I tried to just skim your story to look for the theme, but it hooked me. Really creepy little story - I liked it a lot.
    Also, in case you missed it, you can still contact me for your 8-week prize
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2012-08-20 at 06:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

23. - Top - End - #593

HeadlessMermaid passes with seven vacation photos.
    Ummm... actually I missed the deadline.
    I uploaded 1 yesterday and 5 today. The previous ones, which you saw, were for the previous week. I guess I should be more helpful and inform you from now on whenever I post stuff, instead of letting you figure it all out on your own, which can be confusing. Sorry about that. :)

Here's to hoping this week's stuff will be posted before Monday this time. And now I'm off to reply to your pm. :)

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

My turn to choose a theme, hm?

I pick... Music and death.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessMermaid View Post
    Ummm... actually I missed the deadline.
    I uploaded 1 yesterday and 5 today. The previous ones, which you saw, were for the previous week. I guess I should be more helpful and inform you from now on whenever I post stuff, instead of letting you figure it all out on your own, which can be confusing. Sorry about that. :)

Here's to hoping this week's stuff will be posted before Monday this time. And now I'm off to reply to your pm. :)
    Oops! I just checked out the dates and completely forgot that you posted late last week. Summer really skews my sense of time.
    You don't have to PM me as long as they show up on the blog. I'll just try to remember more than a few day into the past

It's worth mentioning... C'nor just PM'ed me with enough writings to pass, and I was about to give him his week counter. So, if you want, the same laxness can apply to you, too. Equal rules, after all

But both of you, the laxness is only for once in a while. Next week, it's a fail.

Edit: C'nor, ooooh, I like that! Very dramatic theme
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2012-08-20 at 03:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks!

Though in the interests of honesty, I only really picked it because I knew I'd be doing some writing on the subject.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Dwarf in the Playground

@The Grimmace: I tried to just skim your story to look for the theme, but it hooked me. Really creepy little story - I liked it a lot.
    Also, in case you missed it, you can still contact me for your 8-week prize
    Thank you very much! I had forgotten how much I enjoyed writing short stories, maybe expect some more.

And I didn't miss it, I just have no idea what I want for the prize...Let's go with a Zebra on stilts with a rider who is obscured by some sort of cloak and large brimmed hat who is fishing into a classic round fish bowl with nothing in it but a single blue goldfish...is that okay?
    Awesome Lion Avatar by the wonderful Mr. Saturn. Thanks

I have a bloog now. Go check it out if you love strange poetry.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks!

Though in the interests of honesty, I only really picked it because I knew I'd be doing some writing on the subject.
    Don't tell anyone, but that's what I did for last week, too

Quote Originally Posted by The Grimmace View Post
    Thank you very much! I had forgotten how much I enjoyed writing short stories, maybe expect some more.

And I didn't miss it, I just have no idea what I want for the prize...Let's go with a Zebra on stilts with a rider who is obscured by some sort of cloak and large brimmed hat who is fishing into a classic round fish bowl with nothing in it but a single blue goldfish...is that okay?
    Hahaha, oh that's gonna be interesting! It sounds like you have a pretty specific idea in mind, so if you want to send me a quick sketch of where you want the elements relative to each other, I'll happily draw things according to that.
    If not, I'll just figure it out. Sounds like fun in any case
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

29. - Top - End - #599

C'nor just PM'ed me with enough writings to pass, and I was about to give him his week counter. So, if you want, the same laxness can apply to you, too. Equal rules, after all
    Oh, OK then.

But both of you, the laxness is only for once in a while. Next week, it's a fail.
    Yes ma'am!

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessMermaid View Post
    Oh, OK then.
    Fixed. I'll get to your PM tomorrow after work
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge