New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXX: Trixie Treats!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Perhaps Equestria isn't such a great place after all? Maybe they don't name their foals till they are 4 or 5 years of age (or the pony equivalent) because infant mortality rate is so high. Or perhaps the parents give a name, and then force their child to into the personality.
    Reminds me of this article in regards to the similar process of Smurf names.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bayonet Priest View Post
    So I'm playing in a DND 4th edition campaign and we just hit level 2. The setting is intentionally generic and we're allowed to pick setting specific material from wherever we want. I decided to take a Dragonmark, the Mark of Scribing, as my level 2 feat. I thought that its effects, namely the ritual casting and 4 bonus languages, really fit my character's backstory (he was an arcane academy drop out who wound up as an archivest/secretary to a cabal of diabolists for a little while. Don't judge him, there was girl involved.) Then my brain made a connection and after I saw it I couldn't unsee it. Dragonmark = Cutie mark. Now I can't help but picture him with a tome of eldritch lore tattoo'd on his ass.

Just thought I'd share that cause I thought it was kind of amusing.
    I've actually been thinking about a ponified version of the Eberron setting for some time. The dragonmarks are a result of a strange phenomenon in which ponies gain the exact same cutie mark. These magically increase their skill at their special talent. Ponies with these talents banded together to form the Dragonmarked houses and they gained a monopoly on a certain type of industry. For example, Applejack and her family could team up with the other farming ponies to create House Vadalis.

Aberrant marked ponies could have cutie marks related to "darker" talents and magic that isn't related to the 12 houses.

Too bad there isn't an earth Alicorn, though. Celestia and Luna work as Siberys and Khyber, but there's no stand in for Eberron.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    We now have some "offical" names for the background ponies.

Not better, I fear, than the fanon, though I do like the idea suggested of adopting the canon names as second names (or otherwise combining them): "Lyra Heartstrings", in particular, has a very nice ring to it, doesn't it?
    That's cute. And I'm okay with Golden Harvest. But that's just because I'm a big fan of 60's kung fu movies. I still kind of like Carrot Top better.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    Too bad there isn't an earth Alicorn, though. Celestia and Luna work as Siberys and Khyber, but there's no stand in for Eberron.
    Doesn't that story involve Khyber ripping Siberys into chunks and then Eberron hugging Khyber to death?

I think the metaphor is breaking down really fast, although I respect the intent. Eberron rules.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    ...well, depending on setting, asking why they just don't use forcefield might just be like asking 'we send electricity on tiny wires, why we just don't use pure electrons instead'?
    What's your point? You don't use a taser if you can shoot lightning directly...

As I have said, there is simply NO WAY that an unsupported monomolecular wire can be used as a whip (or likely, even as much of anything; virtually any electric current down a monomolecular wire is going to be enough to melt it).

Atomic bonds are simply not strong enough to withstand the loads involved on an individual level. To do anything, not even be used as a frame work for stuff to work on. They just aren't. So, if your mono-whip has to be supported by a forcefield - what that really means is it IS a forcefield, because a monomolecular strip is, in all practicality, at human scale completely negligable.

Magic can certainly be a science, but science is not magic.

(And if you could make a substance THAT STRONG, you wouldn't use it for whips, you'd make armour out of it, and damn the costs, because it would be very probably actually nuke-proof. And if it's so expensive to make to make you can't make enough to do that, you really, really, REALLY wouldn't use what little you had in an inefficent weapon.)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie
    Anyway, I saw enough materials cut by thin, wire blades to not laugh the idea, all it needs is just something to weight/secure the end not in handle.
    Cutting something with a wire works under a completely different physical mechanism to hitting with a whip; a physical whip does not work like a sword (common tropes aside). It simply does not WORK that way. And again, it doesn't matter, because a monofilament wire isn't strong enough to DO anything, because atomic bonds are so ridiculously weak on an individual level at the scale you are talking about. (This, of course, is all leaving aside the very real possibility of not being able to make a one-atom-wide structure survive at all in the first place. WIND will be enough to knacker up a structure that fragile, let alone contact with a solid object (like, say wet tissue paper.))

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie
    Plus, one of the most iconic weapons of all sci-fi has monomolecular edge, so I guess that's enough to make me fine with them
    What's that?

You don't mean a lightsabre, surely; because they don't have a monomolecular edge, because the blade's not made of matter, it's made of energy (and doesn't cut through the same function, same as a laser and a knife don't.) But I can't think of any other very famous sci-fi edged weapons. Enlighten me.

Also, a monomolecular edge is, again, a completely different kettle of fish to a monofilament; the former is merely a (regular) blade that's really sharp (giving you the maximum ratio of applied force to surface area), while the latter is unusuable for anything above molecular level magnitude.

I mean, seriously, I am trying to impress on you all how utterly tiny a molecule is in comparison to a human-sized target that it's supposed to be cutting.

It's saying you can cut an object the size and weight of 13600 Nimitz aircraft carriers1 - a cube 24 x 24 x 24 aircraft carriers, total dimensions roughly 8km by 2km by 2km - with a string the same weight as a human (at about 80 kg or thereabouts) unravelled, to assume roughly the same proprotions (2m whip equalish 2m human), to itself 8km.

It is just Not. Happening. [Morbo voice]Physics does not work that way![/Morbo voice]

You can't claim to be using science, as opposed to fiction, without actually, you know, using science.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Lyra will always be a filly Lyra to me. Heartstrings is a pretty last name. Carrot Top stays, Noteworthy gets a pass because I never liked 'Blues', Berry Punch and Berryshine both sound alcoholic enough to be interchangeable for me.
    Blues Noteworthy doesn't sound too bad to me (though yeah, I was never struck with Blues, either).

Someone on ED suggested that Berry Punch's full name is Berryshine Punch and the former was a nickname (which again, I could see.)

Except for the horn part I guess, I'd missed that...!

Yeah, I got nuthin'.

1That's a seventeen million times the mass of an 80kg human at 100000000kg (100000 tons) per carrier.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not better, I fear, than the fanon, though I do like the idea suggested of adopting the canon names as second names (or otherwise combining them): "Lyra Heartstrings", in particular, has a very nice ring to it, doesn't it?
    I like Lyra Heartstrings and Blues Noteworthy. Golden Harvest Carrot not as much.

Then again, I like Ramona T. Colgate as a full name too.

Berryshine? Well, we've seen multiple background ponies with the same cutie mark, and I don't think it's definitive that cutie marks have to be unique to a single pony.

That or Berry Punch sold her horn to buy booze.
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

6. - Top - End - #756
    Orc in the Playground

And the Hasbro pendulum, once again, swings toward HATE HATE HATE.
    TOLERATE TOLERATE TOLERATE
    Last edited by Darthteej; 2011-11-02 at 08:54 PM.
    Sup ho.

Avatar by the profilic kaptainkrutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Really, getting mad at a story for using tropes is about as sane as getting mad at the book it's printed in for using atoms.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darthteej View Post
    And the Hasbro pendulum, once again, swings toward HATE HATE HATE.
    TOLERATE TOLERATE TOLERATE
    It's not like they can use anything for actual products, that they make money one, that they didn't make up themselves; they wouldn't have any legal legs to stand on. The risk would be just too great.

What would rather have - "officially" named background pony toys or no background pony toys?

You were never going to have gotten fanon names on a released toy product - even if, by some miracle, they made reference to fanon in the cartoon. It's one thing to make aside to the fans in a show trailer, totally another to release a product named by someone else, even a collective someone else (and someone had to have come up with the names in the first place.)

Derpy/Ditzy (and for the record, as I've said before, I have always preferred Ditzy Doo) may be an exception, and if she does turn out to be, everypony should be grateful they got one.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2011-11-02 at 08:59 PM.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ettin in the Playground

It's not like they can use anything for actual products, that they make money one, that they didn't make up themselves; they wouldn't have any legal legs to stand on. The risk would be just too great.

What would rather have - "officially" named background pony toys or no background pony toys?

You were never going to have gotten fanon names on a released toy product - even if, by some miracle, they made reference to fanon in the cartoon. It's one thing to make aside to the fans in a show trailer, totally another to release a product named by someone else, even a collective someone else (and someone had to have come up with the names in the first place.)
    I'm not allowed to trash talk Hasbro on the blog, so hi Ponythread. I'm back.

My immediate overreaction is that I would rather give back all of my other pony toys than have any official background pony toys at all if this is what they're going to do with them. Not that I would wish there were no toys at all - that would mean there is no show. But I will put all of my ponies back on the shelves they came from right this second.

You can't have her, Hasbro. She's mine.

9. - Top - End - #759

I prefer Noteworthy to Blues. Lyra Heartstrings as a full name works, or maybe Heartstrings is a stage name. Golden Harvest does little for me.

As for Berryshine, maybe the horn is a stra...

Actually. No. I'm not going to make that joke.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athaniar View Post
    We now have... uh-oh. Brace yourselves, the fanon is exploding!

*hides under shield*
    0.o
    Why are you underneath me?

SiuiS, is this that birthday gift you were talking about?

PHOE!! I LOVE
    YOU PHOE!!
    Hi ^^
    Last edited by Brazen Shield; 2011-11-02 at 09:19 PM.
    Thank you ShadowySilence for the awesome policepony avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I love my filly~

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

"Noteworthy Blues" doesn't like a terrible name to me. Kinda poignant sounding, I think. "Lyra Heartstrings" is workable too, although I won't be able to help thinking of Lyra Belacqua/Silvertongue every time I hear it.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wait, I missed another shambling abomination shuffling out of the mad science labs of Hasbro?

Do tell
    /popcorn
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

Its okay everypony its okay, that is clearly not Lyra. She has spiky short bluish-grey hair with a white streak, and this Heartstrings has a white hair in addition to a Hime cut. We've seen cutie marks repeat before after all.

Like this Berryshine unicorn is clearly not our Berry Punch earth pony.

Only the show can name ponies, not Hasbro!

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    So. Guys.

Lord English appeared.

I want to see him as a pony. Or a diamond dog. Or maybe a dragon or something.

Uh, or just continue doing whatever you're doing. I'm cool with whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboyinc View Post
    I'm fairly certain that making him a pony or a diamond droog would take away from how utterly terrifying that face is.
    I suppose you're right. I was so swept up in excitement I lost control of my common sense.

Ok, I decided it would be awesome if he was some sort of Draconequis thing. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post

My immediate overreaction is that I would rather give back all of my other pony toys than have any official background pony toys at all if this is what they're going to do with them. Not that I would wish there were no toys at all - that would mean there is no show. But I will put all of my ponies back on the shelves they came from right this second.

...Oh! Hi!

ITHINKYOU'REAWESOME

*Flees*

15. - Top - End - #765

Also!!
    Spoiler
    Show

Kippy!! You're such a part of the MLP fandom you're even on the SHELVES with them in stores!!
    Thank you ShadowySilence for the awesome policepony avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I love my filly~

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Derpy/Ditzy (and for the record, as I've said before, I have always preferred Ditzy Doo) may be an exception, and if she does turn out to be, everypony should be grateful they got one.
    Are you expecting us to be reasonable?

That's ridiculous.

17. - Top - End - #767

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post

We're always here for when you need to trash talk enormous faceless corporations.

I'm kinda with you, though. Which is disappointing - I want really badly for Hasbro to sell me the things I want, and their constant refusal to do so is progressively frustrating. Shut up and take my money.jpg

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly Hasbro doesn't depress me. This depresses me. Some pony needs to explain how this is going to work or we're going to have to smack a filly to the moon.
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2011-11-02 at 09:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brazen Shield View Post
    Also!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why the hell is Sweetie Belle's head almost as big as Princess Celestia?

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Honestly Hasbro doesn't depress me. This depresses me. Some pony needs to explain how this is going to work or we're going to have to smack a filly to the moon.
    And suddenly, the flaw in our plan becomes apparent. Can we really ignore something that's cannon on the wiki?

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    Are you expecting us to be reasonable?
    Yes.

Actually, that is exactly what I'm expecting.

Has Hasbro not practically bent over backwards in trying to engage the fanbase as best they can? Have they not been far more accomodating than many big companies would have been?

This fandom is based on love and tolerance, preportedly. This thread more so.

So, yeah, when something comes along that, for blindingly obvious legal reasons, does not match up exactly with fanon, I do actually expect a reasoned, tolerant response from everypony; they've at least earned some leeway, have they not?

(I mean ye gods, compared to most big companies of late...)

I'm frankly a little disappointed at the knee-jerk negative reactions. (I'm extremely surprised to see it from you, of all ponies, Phoe.)

Or has it not occurred to you, the possibility that some well-meaning Hasbro employee or employees, who thought it might have been jolly fun to put out all the background ponies that are so clearly beloved, in some official way, to the best of their abilities, within their legal constraints, who might now be feeling a bit sick and guilty over the back lash? Or weeping miserable tears into their pony plushy, because they were just trying to help and do something cool and now everyone hates them?

No?

Or are we assuming everyone at Hasbro is a Bleakbane-esque, money-grubbing, moustache-twirling manic who specifically does this to annoy you all personally? (Heaven forfend anyone working at Hasbro might actually like doing their jobs or anything...)

Tsk, tsk.

Now, ponythread, I want you to go and sit in that corner and think about what you've done, until I've finished meditating.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground

And suddenly, the flaw in our plan becomes apparent. Can we really ignore something that's cannon on the wiki?
    Why not? I'm ignoring the existence of Discord. Ignoring something as minor as the official name of a background pony seems absolutely reasonable in comparison to that.

22. - Top - End - #772

Ooh, wiki wars. This is not likely going to be pretty.

EDIT: For the record, I agree with the Commander. If MLP was, say, Sony's instead of Hasbro's property, the first YouTube videos would have been met with a snowstorm of C&Ds. Never mind custom ponies and plushies on ebay.
    Last edited by Topaz; 2011-11-02 at 09:49 PM.
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

Course we can, the wiki has [inserttouretteswearranthere] authority and seems to be under the inclination that the toys represent the show at all. Its horrendous and disturbing.

It makes me mad that somebody just jumped like that. And the comments bear me out.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, sweet,delicious, edit wars.
    This should be good...minions, fetch me ze popcorn!
    On the actual topic of the names, I don't like them. But there are obvious reasons for not using them and I'll just use the power of Fanon Discontinuity on them.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty sure everyone decided the canon names were cognomens. Anyone just want to go with that?

26. - Top - End - #776

Wait wait wait wait wait

I was denied flamewars over Luna because everyone loved her too much

And now I'm getting my chance for flamewars over background ponies!

TROLL POWERS ACTI -

On second thought, I'll not.

She'll always be a filly to meeee~

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

I've found my solution guys

*use magic on self*

I'm pretty sure everyone decided the canon names were cognomens. Anyone just want to go with that?
    Excuse me what are these "canon" names. Did a new episode leak or something when I didn't notice?

Excuse me I think I might write a Lyra fic.

28. - Top - End - #778

I'm not mad about this. I think Aotrs has the right idea of it here. It would have been nice if they gave them the names we gave them but there are reasons they couldn't and there was no malice behind it.

You'll never see me calling them by anything but their real names though. Lyra will always be Lyra and nothing can change that. She'll always be that silly little pony who sits like a human and is married to Bon-Bon. They haven't taken her away from anyone.

Edit: Hell, maybe someday I'll actually own a couple of them. I'd love to have a Lyra and a Big Mac. Not to keen on Berry though, she isn't supposed to be a unicorn.
    Last edited by Bayonet Priest; 2011-11-02 at 09:58 PM.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

Lyra Heartstrings and Berryshine Punch both work perfectly well for me. Likewise, Noteworthy seems a very 'old fashioned' name, the kind you'd expect to be nicknamed over entirely, so Blues as what people actually call him seems right, too. Golden Harvest just isn't a name, though.

The linked discussion seems to cover it nicely though, the Toy division's main concern is making sure the names they use can actually be copywrited properly and safely, and are widely ignored as far as cannon uses in all other properties they deal with. It's pretty safe to ignore, or incorporate the names as you see fit, because they'll only become canon if they really catch on. It's not particularly worth drama.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm frankly a little disappointed at the knee-jerk negative reactions. (I'm extremely surprised to see it from you, of all ponies, Phoe.)
    I don't know what kind of standards you hold me to, but I am allowed to, just this once, take an unreasonable stance and be upset that something I loved more than any other single piece in this series that I adore has suddenly become stuck in this quagmire of controversy and argument over a stupid bit of molded plastic.

I am not a robot or a being of perfect logic and reason. I have emotions and I am damn sure allowed to experience them. Would you prefer I stuffed them somewhere else until they hurt me?