New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default Good set for a dragonblooded

I am planning to make a dragonblooded for an upcoming campaign. I was planning on having him to be the tank of the group, but I can't decide on a few specifics. Particularly, what race I should make him, and what would actually work with the personality I give him. I am trying to make him a bit mentally unstable, think the Psychos from Borderlands, but only when triggered by certain things. Any suggestion for the race and skill levels?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Good set for a dragonblooded

Psycho like the people from Borderlands, but only triggered? Sounds like a Barbarian to me. Maybe a Frenzied Berserker so whenever he gets hit with something he has to make a save or go CRAZY!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Psycho like the people from Borderlands, but only triggered? Sounds like a Barbarian to me. Maybe a Frenzied Berserker so whenever he gets hit with something he has to make a save or go CRAZY!
    This. This. All of my This.

I encourage everyone to play a Frenzied Berserker and then go walk into a room full of sharp pointy objects
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

But the problem is, I'm not doing the Dragonblooded RACE, I'm doing a class. The DM said we couldn't multiclass for this campaign, but we could choose any class that would fit with the story and landscape, and the story is essentially we are hired by a company to retrieve something, and we are on a giant archipelago of floating islands, so it's rather fitting. I am just going to have to make do with what I had. I decided to use the silver dragon linage, meaning I can be lawful neutral and I have a 30 snow cone attack.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2samspan View Post
    But the problem is, I'm not doing the Dragonblooded RACE, I'm doing a class. The DM said we couldn't multiclass for this campaign, but we could choose any class that would fit with the story and landscape, and the story is essentially we are hired by a company to retrieve something, and we are on a giant archipelago of floating islands, so it's rather fitting. I am just going to have to make do with what I had. I decided to use the silver dragon linage, meaning I can be lawful neutral and I have a 30 snow cone attack.
    ...What class?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    ...What class?
    Looks like a homebrew from D&D Wiki.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khosan View Post
    I'm out. no. nuh uh.
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I'm out. no. nuh uh.
    What's so wrong about that? I actually didn't know it was homebrew, someone sent me a link and I didn't see it was in the homebrew section.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

What's so wrong about that? I actually didn't know it was homebrew, someone sent me a link and I didn't see it was in the homebrew section.
    It's D&D wiki which is infamous for being obviously unbalanced. That is why nobody really uses it... Got a Gtitp link?
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

For future reference: Unless the URL of the page includes :SRD, everything on D&D Wiki is homebrew. It is kind of notorious for being a bit random in balance; it will generally be either way off the top end or unusably weak. The particular one you've stumbled on doesn't look terrible, at first glance, but it's also re-covering ground that official Wizard material has done probably half a dozen times... Check out the Dragonfire Adept from Dragon Magic for the best-regarded one.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    For future reference: Unless the URL of the page includes :SRD, everything on D&D Wiki is homebrew. It is kind of notorious for being a bit random in balance; it will generally be either way off the top end or unusably weak. The particular one you've stumbled on doesn't look terrible, at first glance, but it's also re-covering ground that official Wizard material has done probably half a dozen times... Check out the Dragonfire Adept from Dragon Magic for the best-regarded one.
    Sorry, I'm a bit new to DnD, I must admit.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't worry about it. Alright how about this, you play a Dragonfire Adept and use the Proto-Creature template from the Krynn Bestiary. You are an attempted clone at (whatever race you are) and are fairly unstable. The template gives you rage like a Barbarian's so you can work up the madness standpoint from there again.
    You are fully aware that you are a sort of failed attempt at replicating something, so you decide to follow the one class that allows you to emulate and fit in with some of the most respected creatures in the world. Dragons. It's okay your DM doesn't allow multi-classing, Dragonfire Adepts are really best with 20 levels of just DFA.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Flumph

It happens to a lot of people. The wiki is the obvious place to go for information but it doesn't clearly distinguish between the official stuff released under the Open Gaming License (OGL) and its unmoderated homebrew.

The System Reference Document (SRD) can be found here. You'll only find stuff from a few books but everything there's official content.