New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! Community World-Building Game III: Prepare Your Inbox! (Messages Are Comi

Quote Originally Posted by Shnur View Post
    I have one colonization question:

This means that if I started colonization of region 42 previous round and Lord_Burch started colonization of this region in this turn, that I have been succesful even without roll, or that I will get +2 bonus (As if I have won in first round) or that I won´t get any bonus?
    In case Lord_Burch hadn't pulled back, he could only have colonized region 42 with military force. Because you have a one round lead on him, it would not be possible for others to use diplomacy to colonize region 42. They'd have to risk going to war with you to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    So, Morph, it looks as if both myself and Silverbit are pursuing claims to the throne in Eyrecradia. How does that work? I assume roll 1d6 and add diplomacy, but is there any bonus for a better claim?

How to Press Claims & Exploit the Ties of Blood
    A Comprehensive Guide, by mademoiselle Kusajishi Shimona

A situation has arisen! Another country is without a ruler! Or perhaps they have a ruler that you simply don't like very much, while you do like their land?

In case they happen to be a player, you can stake your claim and press it in an act of war! Don't forget to send your declaration of war to them!

In case they happen to be an NPC, you're in luck! It's pretty easy to press claims on them. In the world of Telluris, nobody knows why some just happen to be easier to press against. Perhaps the Weave of Fate simply weaves more strongly around those who might alter the course of history.

You can press a claim if you:
    1. Have a relative of your ruler married to a direct descendant of one of the target region's earlier rulers. The more recent that ruler ruled, the stronger the claim!
    2. Have ancestral ties to the target region. These claims are generally less strong than a marriage claim, unless a large amount of your people can trace their lineage back to that region. [This only works for regions, not full countries.]
    3. The target country used to be part of your country, but they split off due to either revolution or peaceful splitting on part of either the people or previous rulers of your country.
    4. You've fabricated a claim in an earlier round that was still during your current ruler's rule.

To press a claim, you must:
    1. Spend an action on it, of course!
    2. Roll a Diplomacy check and link it in your actions post (just like all other rolls should be).
    3. If the result is at least 6, there is some support for your claim. If the result is at least 9, there is a lot of support for your claim. If there are other players pressing claims at the same time, the highest roll wins.

If you have some support (check result of at least 6) and have rolled the highest, you must spend another action next round to gather more support for your claim (requiring another Diplomacy check result of at least 6). If you have a lot of support (check result of at least 9) and have rolled the highest, you'll have claimed the target region or country by the end of this round.

Other claimants (players with a claim) who lost may attempt to create rebellions in the target region or country in a revenge attempt--or a final resort to get the target region or country for themselves should the rebellion prove successful somehow.

Claimants may also forfeit their claim to support another claimant, providing a +2 to the other claimant's Diplomacy check result.

If there's anything that needs clearing up or adding, I'll hear it.

Also, Tekorva has automatically acquired the Heartwaste due to their leader being married to the heir to the Heartwaste.

Furthermore, depending on how many claimants Sulvan's Fury will get, due to their unique inheritance laws, I may even put up a little competition thread for it.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-03-10 at 07:48 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

2. - Top - End - #632
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! Community World-Building Game III: Prepare Your Inbox! (Messages Are Comi

Now I'm wondering where "Mademoiselle Kusajishi Shimona" is from She's probably Salterri or something! Ahhh!!

Seriously though morph, looks good. New clarifying rules are good things.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-03-10 at 07:53 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    You... uh... at least you got some nice, emotional RP the first time around? Dunno.
    Sorry, only joking.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

Raaneka has new heraldry!

Spoiler
    Show

It needed a berunda... a bird with a rider... a bird with two heads... GET IT?!
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel horribly guilty having stolen so many people from Cantus, which you'd been planning for much longer. Thanks for the compliment, anyway. I did work hard.
    It is fine. For starters I can guarantee not everyone will like Cantus Sai. My fluff is long, wordy and filled with needlessly complicated crap, which does naught but confuse. Furthermore, the ones holding the festival itself are not nice and if not for recent goings on, I really doubt many people would attend. On top of that, the line between cool and creepy is blurred for me. Already I know not to assassinate any of my characters there (publicly at least), but there is a real potential for me to cross lines when a lot of people are there to speak with each other more than watch my weirdness. Which is fine, but I tend to post a lot and have 12 character profiles written for the event. Finally, my festival occurs once every twenty years. The Final Visitation? Mmm, probably not!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    Who all is attending Cantus Sai? Especially Zap, but HisHilyAngel, will you be there? I have some trade and such to discuss.
    The opening post of the Cantus Sai thread has a list.

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Also, Tekorva has automatically acquired the Heartwaste due to their leader being married to the heir to the Heartwaste.
    I love it. The rules as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    It needed a berunda... a bird with a rider... a bird with two heads... GET IT?!
    I wish I could draw well or I would offer a custom berunda for you.

EDIT - Broken quotebox. Typo
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-03-10 at 10:59 PM.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    It is fine. For starters I can guarantee not everyone will like Cantus Sai. My fluff is long, wordy and filled with needlessly complicated crap, which does naught but confuse. Furthermore, the ones holding the festival itself are not nice and if not for recent goings on, I really doubt many people would attend. On top of that, the line between cool and creepy is blurred for me. Already I know not to assassinate any of my characters there (publicly at least), but there is a real potential for me to cross lines when a lot of people are there to speak with each other more than watch my weirdness. Which is fine, but I tend to post a lot and have 12 character profiles written for the event. Finally, my festival occurs once every twenty years. The Final Visitation? Mmm, probably not!
    True, true. This is a once-in-a-lifetime thing, literally. Though I have a more grand ending for Humperdink, which will be very different.

As to your lines and style, I personally like it. Could it be clearer? Probably, but that just means you're a writer who's got a well developed headworld. I continue to read Cantus Sai with interest.

I love it. The rules as well.
    Course you love it. You get the Heartwastes.

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post
    Sorry, only joking.
    That means you won't be coming to the Visitation?
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2014-03-10 at 11:23 PM.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    EDIT: Lord Burch & Elemental, you guys attending Cantus Sai for the diplomacy talks right?
    Certainly. But Elemental needed to sleep which is why he hasn't yet. Will get onto that very shortly.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

8. - Top - End - #638
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, I don't appear to have a lot of support in Eyrecradia. My roll isn't brilliant.
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

9. - Top - End - #639
    Barbarian in the Playground

Population:67,000

Terrain The rocky cliffs and bluffs of the Drugaudian Steppes are a veritable maze of barren rocks and yawning chasms lining most of the Western borders of the Geographic Limitations of the Western Informational Hub. or GLWIH

The location is barren and desolate. A feature the residents of the GLWIH chose for just such a purpose, the terrain itself deterring the prying eyes of strangers.

If one were to seek the Thorpe and villages of the GLWIH, they would likely wander the White Wastes for days before dying a slow cold death from hypothermia.

Many believe the Residents make their homes in the great mountain which locals call Emohesab. But no one has ever found concrete proof to support the claim.

Resources
    Coal
    Scientists
    Iron

Need - Food

People
    The inhabitants of GLWIH are skittish at best, and cowardly at worst. They are mercantile dealers of information and manipulators of secrets. They will happily align with the baser more... native... Cultures nearby out of self preservation.

The few who have met with one face to face describe them as obsessively formal and good humored, and yet despite this they always leave with the feeling of mistrust. A racism the Lesser Tieflings of GLWIH are working to overcome.

Leader
    Dutchess Alexia the Heron is an industrious and cautious woman.

Curiosity: 3+1
    Diplomacy: 2
    Military: 2
    Faith: 2
    Luck: 2+1
    Clicky
    Last edited by tortor; 2014-03-11 at 05:24 AM.
    I have seen the top of the mountain and you will worship me as though I were a GOD!

10. - Top - End - #640

So, assuming there is nothing wrong with that post.... That's the nation in Region 52!
    I have seen the top of the mountain and you will worship me as though I were a GOD!

11. - Top - End - #641

Aaaaand. 4 of my 5 actions this round will be secret, but unless I am told otherwise I believe that they would all be... Curiosity (4 different actions centering on it)

Can you spend resources on improving an action? (say you're making a giant laser as a project, and you have gemstones to make that easier, or you're going to war and have poop tons of food to feed your soldiers)

Juuuuust Curious~

12. - Top - End - #642
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just a slight note tortor, you can only have one secret action a round. Aside from that, you might need to format the nation post properly but it all looks good to me.
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tortor View Post
    So, assuming there is nothing wrong with that post.... That's the nation in Region 52!
    The format I recomend is the following:

Region Name
    Region #, User Name
    [Your Royal Heraldry if you have one]
    __

[Link to Original Rolls]
    (from the dice thread in Morph's first post)

Ruler Name

Current Stats:
    Diplomacy:
    Military:
    Curiosity:
    Faith:
    Luck:

Population:

Original Stats:
    Diplomacy:
    Military:
    Curiosity:
    Faith:
    Luck:

(after your first round, please list in a spoiler what the original stats of the ruler were before you update them, so that we might be able to back check for errors later)

[link to Family Tree, if you have one]

Region Details

Spoiler: Terrain
    Show
    Make a description of your region, as well as three landmarks or notable regions. Please be sure to bold the title of these 3 things.

Spoiler: People
    Show
    Describe the Race of your people, and the culture or characteristics that you feel are note worthy. You can split it into different characteristics within this post as you wish, just make sure to clearly state the basics in the first couple sentences if possible.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show
    List three major resources that your country in known for. If you have any questions about resources, send a PM to a GM and they can assist you. Make sure you do not list something magical as a feature. In addition to 3 resources, please list 1 resource your country NEEDS to import to function.

Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    Describe you country's religion here. If you are just starting out, make sure it is one of the listed basic religions, or the Lord of Fire. Any other fluff you wish to describe toward your customs within this is fine and encouraged.

Spoiler: Technologies
    Show
    If you are just starting out, you will have no notable technologies that others do not have. However, as you country progresses in things, such as Curiousity advancements, you can list these here.

(Any other things for your country can be listed below, within or without spoilers, as you wish. )

Aaaaand. 4 of my 5 actions this round will be secret, but unless I am told otherwise I believe that they would all be... Curiosity (4 different actions centering on it)

Can you spend resources on improving an action? (say you're making a giant laser as a project, and you have gemstones to make that easier, or you're going to war and have poop tons of food to feed your soldiers)

Juuuuust Curious~
    You cannot have more than one secret action, as Silverbit said. See the OP for more on secret actions. As for using resources to improve an action, yes, but for certain things you'll need the technology to do so. For instance, if I wanted to reenforce my throne room with adamantine, I'd need the tech for manufacturing it, unless I'm already receiveing adamantine that IS manufactured, or something.

EDIT: You can also rearrange your numbers in any order you wish for your first ruler (not that you have a lot of variation of your numbers).
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-03-11 at 06:27 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

14. - Top - End - #644

Noooooooooooooooo

My whole nation-state is ruined

;-;

*flops*

New plans then...

Establish trade with the Catfolk... request grains and offer Iron since they have no weapons grade materials. - Diplomacy

Investigate Better Mining Techniques - Curiosity

Investigate The Properties of Coal - Curiosity

Investigate Thermal Energies - Curiosity

Secret Biddness - Curiousity

15. - Top - End - #645

I will comply with said formatting once I have enough $#!☆$ to give about formatting (IE tommorow)

Thanks for the template~

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ettin in the Playground

We also have an "IC" thread dedicated to posting peoples actions and fluffs. You should put your 5 actions there instead.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

17. - Top - End - #647

I see no link to such a thread?
    EDIT: Nvm I'm dumb.
    Last edited by tortor; 2014-03-11 at 06:51 AM.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ettin in the Playground

Noooooooooooooooo

My whole nation-state is ruined

;-;

*flops*

New plans then...

Establish trade with the Catfolk... request grains and offer Iron since they have no weapons grade materials. - Diplomacy

Investigate Better Mining Techniques - Curiosity

Investigate The Properties of Coal - Curiosity

Investigate Thermal Energies - Curiosity

Secret Biddness - Curiousity
    Yeah, the IC thread is linked at the top of the first post. Also, are your people Human? Or what race?

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

19. - Top - End - #649

Definitively Lesser Tieflings...

No one understands us...

Also posting in IC now

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    So Morph, what do luxury goods do? Like, spices and art and wine and stuff? Obviously some resources have building applications, some tools/weapons or what not, food diversity increases population boosts, but what about luxury goods? Population increase affected there too? Something else? I'm addressing the question to Morph, but really, anyone with an idea feel free to add on.

My feeling is that they should give some bonus against things like diplomatic undermining of a culture or faith religion spreadig. Essentially, if there are enough shiny, tasty, and fun things in a culture then foreign ideas don't take hold as easily.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    My feeling is that they should give some bonus against things like diplomatic undermining of a culture or faith religion spreading. Essentially, if there are enough shiny, tasty, and fun things in a culture then foreign ideas don't take hold as easily.
    That's a pretty good idea actually.

At the same time maybe defense/open border type treaties make those actions easier : P
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ettin in the Playground

Just noticed this - 51 was claimed by Arkhosia, and now 52 by tortor...but Morph has already said these two regions are part of a kingdom in the round 7 post -

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    Regions 51 and 52 have been discovered by Guilder and Qarimos! They're together part of the Kingdom of Quira, where the pyramid kings rule their faeborn peoples. Not much is known about it.

EDIT: in fact, tortor, it says in the atlas of the first post that region 59 is reserved by you.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-03-11 at 08:18 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    That's a pretty good idea actually.

At the same time maybe defense/open border type treaties make those actions easier : P
    Another good idea. But it does mean more for our poor, overworked GM and assistant GMs to keep track of.

Oh, The Jeweled Cities now have a flag! Still no crest, though.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ettin in the Playground

Another good idea. But it does mean more for our poor, overworked GM and assistant GMs to keep track of.

Oh, The Jeweled Cities now have a flag! Still no crest, though.
    I already keep track of open borders and stuff in the alliances section.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

Any particular reason for four rings of twelve stars?
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2014-03-11 at 09:19 AM.
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That means you won't be coming to the Visitation?
    It merely means that I won't make another visitation.

I can change an action, but I'm short on time at the moment so it won't be changed for several hours.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    That reminds me, I never did say how many resources 14B, 20B, 32 and 50 had, did I? Was a bit of a rush, since there was so much trouble in getting the round up in the first place.

Maybe I should make some rolls to determine that...

Nahh, they all have two Good resources, both to be determined by the first colonizer/new player claimant. ... Region 32 has 14000 inhabitants. ...Terrain features, people and religion are, as always, entirely up to the first one to possess the region fully.
    What did my population in this region amount to now?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I thought you were in 59, but if you're actually in 52 I'm certainly not complaining. 59 would be a good place for me to set up.

Population:67,000

Terrain The rocky cliffs and bluffs of the Drugaudian Steppes are a veritable maze of barren rocks and yawning chasms lining most of the Western borders of the Geographic Limitations of the Western Informational Hub. or GLWIH

The location is barren and desolate. A feature the residents of the GLWIH chose for just such a purpose, the terrain itself deterring the prying eyes of strangers.

If one were to seek the Thorpe and villages of the GLWIH, they would likely wander the White Wastes for days before dying a slow cold death from hypothermia.

Many believe the Residents make their homes in the great mountain which locals call Emohesab. But no one has ever found concrete proof to support the claim.

Resources
    Coal
    Scientists
    Iron

Need - Food

People
    The inhabitants of GLWIH are skittish at best, and cowardly at worst. They are mercantile dealers of information and manipulators of secrets. They will happily align with the baser more... native... Cultures nearby out of self preservation.

The few who have met with one face to face describe them as obsessively formal and good humored, and yet despite this they always leave with the feeling of mistrust. A racism the Lesser Tieflings of GLWIH are working to overcome.

Leader
    Dutchess Alexia the Heron is an industrious and cautious woman.

Curiosity: 3+1
    Diplomacy: 2
    Military: 2
    Faith: 2
    Luck: 2+1
    Clicky
    Anyway, here's my thoughts, in no particular order.

"Geographic Limitations of the Western Informational Hub" is quite the mouthful to say, and reads more like legalese than a halfway useful name. Also, when you start talking about their borders, everything you say is redundant because your nation is apparently named specifically after said borders. Also your nation is in the Far East, so describing it as "western" is a touch odd.

Also, just saying that your people are hard to find isn't going to deter invasion or even necessarily slow it down. That's not really a complaint, but it's something you should know, since based on the write-up you seem to be banking on the idea that your people are a bunch of mysterious secret agents or something and nobody knows how to find them unless they want to be found. Hidden Elf Villages don't work so well when you don't have magic to hide them with.

Presumably the description of "baser...more 'native' cultures" is from an in-character perspective, since saying that from an OOC perspective would strongly imply that your race really was somehow more civilized and special than everyone else's. If so, that's fine, but it's a little odd that the next paragraph IS clearly from an outside perspective which can be jarring to a reader.

Also, note that your nation probably won't stay mysterious for very long if you do a lot of trading and communicating with other people, and if you don't do that you'll most likely suffer a swift death. Bit of a catch-22 there.

As a final note, I'd leave "Lesser Tieflings" out of this, simply because we're not dealing with D&D here. You can't really be a "lesser" anything if there isn't something else to compare it to, like "Greater Tieflings" or standard Tieflings. In fact, where does the name Tiefling come from, anyway? Why not simply call them "Fiend-Blooded" and let Morph figure out where that fiend blood came from anyway, or perhaps come up with an original name and see where it goes from there?

Anyway, I'm not much of an authority on anything, so these suggestions should all be taken with a grain of salt. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by HisHolyAngel View Post
    God bless your soul. You are the worlds greatest person, and my personal hero. May Yphine bless our nations with longtime friendship and prosperity.
    Well, I am pretty awesome.

May the frost leave your crops untouched but bathed in the morning light.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Well, I am pretty awesome.

May the frost leave your crops untouched but bathed in the morning light.
    Would you do me the honor of acting like religious fanatics with me. <3

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh wow... It has been a bit since I've brought Tendaji out. He's already 68 @_@ So now I'm pruning my family tree a bit, realizing just how many people on here have probably passed away.