New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default True mind Switching a Terrasque

Here is a bit of a trouble-inducing question for you all, o knowledgeable souls of the playground! I have run into a bit of a problem, and I am looking to you for assistance.

Okay, so, imagine an epic scenario. People are going to ascend, become gods, etc, etc. Epic levels, growing powerful beyond belief, etc.

So, why would anyone want to ascend and become some lowly quasi-god in an arbitrary, faraway plane, when you can become a near-god-on-earth like being? That's right. Said character wants to become a Terrasque. Imagine finding such an enormous beast, knock it out (Hence causing it to fail its will save against the True Mind switch), cast alter self (perhaps with some DM allowed Manifest Psionic Alter self) to remain looking like a human for as long as you like, with all the EX-skills of a terrasque. For alternative fun, you can possibly coat your old body in quintessence, and swallow it whole. (or again, with DM's permission, a Spell-to-power Erudite that could cast Hoard gullet with Permanency and store it there)

So, the problem. 48 HD.

True mind switch can only be used on creatures with the same or lower HD as you have manifester levels... But getting all the way up to level 48 would be a rather... ardeous task, even by epic standards.

So the question is, what ways can be used to circumvent this? Are there any helpful ways that could temporarily increase your manifester level to a large enough degree that you could feasibly True Mind Switch a Terrasque at around level 30ish? Given that the duration is instantaneous, it would not be a problem if the ML drops down after the switch is complete, as long as it is as high as required during casting.

Assume that all books are available.
    Last edited by Dairuga; 2012-03-10 at 01:56 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: True mind Switching a Terrasque

What do we have to work with? Cause, for instance, Wilder 28 can wildsurge for +8 ML, closing the gap significantly.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

You can get this with the use of Mind Mage (Dr313), Cerebremancer, a Soul Manifester.

Alright, here goes:

Spoiler
    Show
    Human
    1 Sorcerer 1: Versatile Spellcaster, Heighten Spell
    2Psion 1: Overchannel
    3Psion 2: [Psi-Spell feat 1]
    4Psion 3: -
    5Cerebremancer 1: -
    6Cerebremancer 2: [Psi-Spell feat 2]
    7Cerebremancer 3: -
    8Mind Mage 1: -
    9Mind Mage 2: Practiced Manifester
    10Mind Mage 3: -
    11Mind Mage 4: -
    12Mind Mage 5: Shape Soulmeld
    13Mind Mage 6: -
    14Mind Mage 7: -
    15Mind Mage 8: Open Least Chakra
    16Mind Mage 9: -
    17Mind Mage 10: -
    18Incarnate 1: Azure Talent
    19Soul Manifester 1: -
    20Soul Manifester 2: -
    21Soul Manifester 3: [Free slot]
    22Soul Manifester 4: -
    23Soul Manifester 5: -
    24Soul Manifester 6: [Free slot]
    25Soul Manifester 7: -
    26Soul Manifester 8: -
    27Soul Manifester 9: [Free slot]
    28Soul Manifester 10: -
    29Cerebremancer 4: -
    30Cerebremancer 5: [Free slot]

So, Mind Mage is 8/10 manifesting/spellcasting, Cerebremancer is 10/10 manifesting/spellcasting, and Soul Manifester is 10/10 manifesting/meldshaping. With the 1 level in Sorcerer and Incarnate, that brings you up to 26/30 manifesting (11/30 meldshaping and 14/30 spellcasting); Practiced Manifester brings that up to 30/30 ML.

Mind Mage has the special ability that it adds its entire level to manifesting 1/day (that is in addition to the ML boost from the +1 level of psionic class). That adds 10 to your ML, bringing you up to 40.

Soul Manifester lets you invest 2 essentia into a power to increase the ML and DC by 2.

Overchannel adds +3 ML.

So that's 45 there without items.

EDIT:
    Now, having typed all that up... There is an epic feat in Complete Psionic called Improved Overchannel. It lets you add up to double your ML to a given power, but you take 2d8 damage for each increase. Just Reality Revision for a Delay Death and go nuts. It'll only be 36d8 on a Psion 30.

Alternatively, a STP Erudite using the Consumptive Field trick can get it up there.

Also, I think there might be a Taint-based psionic class in the Mind's Eye, and we all know how balanced that system is.
    Last edited by Elric VIII; 2012-03-10 at 03:18 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Taking a Bloodline from Unearthed Arcana will increase your Manifester Level by 3 for a minimal experience cost.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

There's also the Overchannel feat orange ioun stone. Or cast mental pinnacle and use a power stone of true mind switch or whatever.
    Last edited by Demonic_Spoon; 2012-03-10 at 03:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    I figure that's why d&d gods do so little - they're busy taking psychotherapy sessions to get rid of all the voices they hear.
    May have a optimization addiction.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Be a cleric 25, boost your CL (Divine spell power +6, Ioun stone +1, prayer beads +4, consumptive field +12 = +23CL), cast miracle, pay 5000XP.
    Last edited by ahenobarbi; 2012-03-10 at 05:34 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Seriously, do you have any idea what it costs to feed a Tarrasque? It eats a country per day!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Be a cleric 25, boost your CL (Divine spell power +6, Ioun stone +1, prayer beads +4, consumptive field +12 = +23CL), cast miracle, pay 5000XP.
    Unfortunately, a Miracle cant create a True Mind Swich.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_david View Post
    Seriously, do you have any idea what it costs to feed a Tarrasque? It eats a country per day!
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/heroesFeast.htm
    Enough for 12 creatures 1 creature per level, the tarrasque is a creature. Pay a cleric to cast that daily.
    Last edited by hushblade; 2012-03-10 at 06:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by the_david View Post
    Ring of sustenance? Semi-elemental plane of tasty burgers

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Unfortunately, a Miracle cant create a True Mind Swich.
    Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A miracle can do any of the following things.
    Duplicate any cleric spell of 8th level or lower (including spells to which you have access because of your domains).
    Duplicate any other spell of 7th level or lower.

(...)
    If the miracle has any of the above effects, casting it has no experience point cost.
    Alternatively, a cleric can make a very powerful request. Casting such a miracle costs the cleric 5,000 XP because of the powerful divine energies involved.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dairuga View Post
    Imagine finding such an enormous beast, knock it out (Hence causing it to fail its will save against the True Mind switch)
    Your first problem is that being unconscious does not prevent Big T from making his save against True Mind Switch. So you still need to get past his +20 Will save and SR 32.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Your first problem is that being unconscious does not prevent Big T from making his save against True Mind Switch. So you still need to get past his +20 Will save and SR 32.
    But in D&D unconscious = willing. I live my life by that rule.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

SR is not a problem... you need ML 48 for this to work, so you can not fail check. On this levels your primary casting stat will be easily
    15 (start) + 5 (leveling) + 5 (inherent) + 6 (enchantment from item) = 31
    so DC is at least 10 + 10 + 9 = 29. Not too good (you are targeting +20 will save) but you can lower that by debuffing it first.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elric VIII View Post
    But in D&D unconscious = willing. I live my life by that rule.
    That doesn't mean what you think it means.

Some spells specify that they only work on willing targets (e.g. teleport). That doesn't mean that an unconscious target automatically fails all saving throws.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

15. - Top - End - #15

I fear your plan is flawed in multiple ways. Allow me to point out a few:

1. The tarrasque has the tendency to sleep for a very long time, wake up, eat then go to bed again. So only do it if the player doesn't mind waiting a thousand years to play. And before you question this see point 2.

2. The primordials have complete control over the tarrasque and if you take over its body, you will either be controlled or you will piss off four really big guys.

3. I'm sure you are aware how many people want to kill the tarrasque and as soon as some powerful wizard founds out about you some fighting is gonna go down.

4. Technically most(if not all) of its abilities should cease to function if you use alter self since things like the deflective carapace and the ability to swallow whole is tied directly to it's physical properties.

5. Being a lowly quasi god is much cooler.

Send my greetings to the tarrasque.
    Last edited by Wavelab; 2012-03-10 at 09:12 AM.
    Extended Hombrew Signature

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Perhaps you could give it some negative levels (and find how to make them permanent) to get rid of some of its HD (but not its EX abilities)?

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelab View Post
    I fear your plan is flawed in multiple ways. Allow me to point out a few:

1. The tarrasque has the tendency to sleep for a very long time, wake up, eat then go to bed again. So only do it if the player doesn't mind waiting a thousand years to play. And before you question this see point 2.

2. The primordials have complete control over the tarrasque and if you take over its body, you will either be controlled or you will piss off four really big guys.

3. I'm sure you are aware how many people want to kill the tarrasque and as soon as some powerful wizard founds out about you some fighting is gonna go down.

4. Technically most(if not all) of its abilities should cease to function if you use alter self since things like the deflective carapace and the ability to swallow whole is tied directly to it's physical properties.

5. Being a lowly quasi god is much cooler.

Send my greetings to the tarrasque.
    Nothing a Ring of Sustenance and a good Bluff check can't take care of. I'm fairly certain you don't lose your Ex abilities when you Alter Self.
    Last edited by Shadowleaf; 2012-03-10 at 09:22 AM.
    English is a second language etc etc.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowleaf View Post
    Nothing a Ring of Sustenance and a good Bluff check can't take care of. I'm fairly certain you don't lose your Ex abilities when you Alter Self.
    Hmm that is true. And no you don't lose them but logically you are supposed to and a DM might rule that way.

19. - Top - End - #19

Hmm that is true. And no you don't lose them but logically you are supposed to and a DM might rule that way.
    You could take an RP-ish approach and argue that you have "assimilated" the Tarrasque and therefore have figured out how to improve your Human form (with natural plating, boosted blood coagulation and an extra stomach sack for swallowing whole).
    English is a second language etc etc.

20. - Top - End - #20

I think primordials controlling the tarrasque might be 4E-FR specific. With regards to your first point, if you're in a tarrasque body, I don't see why you couldn't just avoid going into hibernation with a Ring of Sustenance (if you even need that).
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elric VIII View Post
    *snip*

EDIT:
    Now, having typed all that up... There is an epic feat in Complete Psionic called Improved Overchannel. It lets you add up to double your ML to a given power, but you take 2d8 damage for each increase. Just Reality Revision for a Delay Death and go nuts. It'll only be 36d8 on a Psion 30.
    Why do you cause yourself so much trouble? ;)

Use Timeless body in the first round, then Improved Overchannel with your True Mind Switch. Damage? What Damage? ^^

Regards,

Thiramon
    Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe
    that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
    Frank Herbert, Dune

English is not my native language - please pardon my lack of grammar and vocabulary.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

Isn't there anything better than a Tarrasque to take over if you can reach ML 48? Some epic creature or something?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #23
    Spamalot in the Playground

Why?
    Miracle can do just about anything in theory - with deific (read:DM) approval. But if your DM is going to allow that he may as well let you research your own version of TMS with no HD restriction.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Miracle can do just about anything in theory - with deific (read:DM) approval. But if your DM is going to allow that he may as well let you research your own version of TMS with no HD restriction.
    So you can use miracle to do this,but DM may ban it.That's not "you can't do it".

26. - Top - End - #26
    Spamalot in the Playground

So you can use miracle to do this,but DM may ban it.That's not "you can't do it".
    You can't. Your deity does all the work, and the DM controls him, not you. All Miracle lets you do is ask.

You don’t so much cast a miracle as request one. You state what you would like to have happen and request that your deity (or the power you pray to for spells) intercede.
    If your deity does not grant your request, Miracle does nothing, by RAW. It is not Wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Why?
    Miracle has guidelines that govern its usage. It doesn't do "whatever". Guideline A can be accurately summarized as "no more powerful than an 8th level cleric spell". And True Mind Switch, being a 9th level psionic power, does not qualify. Guideline B is *INCREDIBLY* hard to adjudicate, but one thing's *definitely* for sure: there's no guarantee that the spell will actually do it(same with wish). I know some DMs simply ban Guideline B for simplicity's sake(tournaments especially).
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

(I see this as TO, so I don't worry about DM. Besides if DM doesn't want you to get big T's body [s]he has many more legit ways than "miracle doesn't work")

Well gods grants you every single cleric power, so you could argue "no, cleric can't do anything at all, diety (controlled by DM) does it".

Besides you can choose diety that will allow this. You can worship concept that is very much in line with that action.

And is about as powerful as examples given in Miracle description for XP-paying version.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Isn't there anything better than a Tarrasque to take over if you can reach ML 48? Some epic creature or something?
    Agreed. I mean just look at this

If I recall correctly that is the highest CR creature in the ELH and the one that is capable of dealing the most damage. The only problem is you'll look like a freak but hey you wanted to look like a tarrasque.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Really simple solution:

Dominate it first, order it to not resist the next power you manifest on it, Mind Switch.

(If your DM rules this is 'against the Tarrasque's nature' or an obviously self-destructive order and thus won't be obeyed, well, you've still got a Dominated Tarrasque, so you can keep it docile and in one place while you rig the save in your favor.. hire a Hexblade/Paladin of Tyranny/Blackguard to stand on it or something, get a Bard to Doomspeak it, whatever.)