New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: General WoD Discussion #2: Its time to Celebrate!

So I've been playing (or reading, or viewing, or whatever the verb is for a visual novel) Fate/Stay Night, and have realized that

a) almost all of the things Caster does could be duplicated by a pre-archmastery Mage, albeit one with mastery of four or five Arcana.
    b) the setting of FSN integrates pretty well with the World of Darkness.

Naturally I ended up thinking about how to run a Holy Grail War in the WoD. Servant summoning would use the rules from Summoners with some modifications to allow other supernaturals to summon. Servants would be equivalent to rank 4 or 5 spirits, significantly more powerful than average characters but not completely overpowered. After all,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rin manages to blow Berserker's head off once, nulls Caster's magic and nearly beats her to death, and a buffed-up Kuzuki nearly kills Saber barehanded.

Current ideas for the Servant line-up:
    Archer: ???
    Assassin: Hassan-i-Sabbah as an Ascending One (Hunter)
    Berserker: The Beast of Gevaudan (Werewolf) or Frankenstein's monster (Promethean)
    Caster: generic mage of Atlantis
    Lancer: Dracula or Longinus (Vampire)
    Rider: Orpheus or Inanna (Sin-Eater)
    Saber: Saint George (gender-flipped, of course) (Hunter)

Any suggestions or comments?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor the Fallen
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow
    It'd be like shooting a baby in the head with a .44, would you give experience for that? Theres no threat, theres not even a challenge beyond hitting the baby.
    Roleplaying experience?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

I think Archer would work well as an Obrimos Adamantine Arrow. His schtick is creating stuff from nothing, right?

Edit: Wait, you mean OC Servants. Well I have no clue either, then.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2012-10-08 at 06:21 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
    So I've been playing (or reading, or viewing, or whatever the verb is for a visual novel) Fate/Stay Night, and have realized that

a) almost all of the things Caster does could be duplicated by a pre-archmastery Mage, albeit one with mastery of four or five Arcana.
    b) the setting of FSN integrates pretty well with the World of Darkness.

Naturally I ended up thinking about how to run a Holy Grail War in the WoD. Servant summoning would use the rules from Summoners with some modifications to allow other supernaturals to summon. Servants would be equivalent to rank 4 or 5 spirits, significantly more powerful than average characters but not completely overpowered. After all,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rin manages to blow Berserker's head off once, nulls Caster's magic and nearly beats her to death, and a buffed-up Kuzuki nearly kills Saber barehanded.

Current ideas for the Servant line-up:
    Archer: ???
    Assassin: Hassan-i-Sabbah as an Ascending One (Hunter)
    Berserker: The Beast of Gevaudan (Werewolf) or Frankenstein's monster (Promethean)
    Caster: generic mage of Atlantis
    Lancer: Dracula or Longinus (Vampire)
    Rider: Orpheus or Inanna (Sin-Eater)
    Saber: Saint George (gender-flipped, of course) (Hunter)

Any suggestions or comments?
    I'm rather new to the WoD mythos (my first character hasn't even become any sort of supernatural yet), and don't know all that much about Fate/Stay Night, but Archer is defined by reliance upon weapons, right? Preferably long-ranged (though I know that the original Archer focuses on swords, he can at least throw them...)? I'd like to suggest the legendary Marine sniper Carlos Norman Hathcock II, having been recruited after Vietnam to serve in Task Force: VALKYRIE, and thus, even in the afterlife toting some pretty impressive armaments. Hunter, naturally.

(I'd suggest Simo Häyhä, but his date of birth would indicate that there probably wouldn't be as much high tech to draw upon with him.)
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2012-10-08 at 06:49 PM.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Hello everyone.

I got pretty much every single NWoD splatbook- Werewolf, Mage, Changeling, Promethean, Hunter and Geist.

so I'm thinking, I might as well round it out and get Vampire.

but here is where the classic problem comes in:

Masquerade or Requiem? I've searched the net, but I haven't found anything that gives me a clear answer as to which would be better for me.

as you can tell, I'm a newer player so…yeah, which would be better for me, a newer player to get? Masquerade or Requiem?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, since it seems that you're of very much an nWoD bent, I would say Requiem, as that is the nWoD version of Vampire.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Waaaaiiit a minute.

I just saw the Vampire Translation Toolkit Bundle. not only is it cheaper than Requiem, it has Requiem AND Masquerade AND the translation guide in it!

screw choosing, I'm gonna get both books for less than half the price! with a savings of six bucks if I had just gotten Requiem-

Edit: wait no, it lied. Reqiuem it is.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2012-10-09 at 07:11 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Hello everyone.

I got pretty much every single NWoD splatbook- Werewolf, Mage, Changeling, Promethean, Hunter and Geist.

so I'm thinking, I might as well round it out and get Vampire.

but here is where the classic problem comes in:

Masquerade or Requiem? I've searched the net, but I haven't found anything that gives me a clear answer as to which would be better for me.

as you can tell, I'm a newer player so…yeah, which would be better for me, a newer player to get? Masquerade or Requiem?
    Definitely Requiem. The Translation Guide helped clean up (some) of Masquerade's mechanics, but the fluff and setting and powers are still sloppier than a potato launcher loaded with Jell-O.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    I think Archer would work well as an Obrimos Adamantine Arrow. His schtick is creating stuff from nothing, right?

Edit: Wait, you mean OC Servants. Well I have no clue either, then.
    Actually, the Phantasmal Weapon spell can't create items with their own magic properties. Unlimited Blade Works would have to be an Imperial spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor the Fallen
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow
    It'd be like shooting a baby in the head with a .44, would you give experience for that? Theres no threat, theres not even a challenge beyond hitting the baby.
    Roleplaying experience?

9. - Top - End - #219
    Pixie in the Playground

So long story short, I got myself in over my head, by agreeing to ST a nWOD game. It seems like this system is a bit more complicated than expected. I can't seem to figure out which books are necessary. Right now, my group is deciding between Werewolf, Vampire, and Mage. Which of these is easiest for group play? Also, where can I buy these books? The WW website returns errors. What supplements are important to each main book? Help?

10. - Top - End - #220
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

...if you're running NWoD, the first book you need is the New World of Darkness core book. If your group insists on playing a type of supernatural right off the bat rather than base mortals (recommended for a new group), then you need that type's core splatbook - Vampire the Requiem, Werewolf the Forsaken, or Mage The Awakening. Any other books are purely optional bonus content.

Of those three, I'd suggest Werewolf personally - that is, if you're not willing to play base mortals. It has the highest level of expected group-cooperation and is probably the lowest power level for the three, though spirits can be complicated and confusing.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-10-10 at 08:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Pixie in the Playground

So people have changed their minds, and we have narrowed the supernatural down to Changeling or Werewolf. As the ST, I'm interesting in telling a combat light story, with a big overarching plot. Thoughts?

12. - Top - End - #222
    Bugbear in the Playground

As Glyphstone said, running simple mortals is by far your best bet as a new ST. But if your players are insisting on either Changeling or Werewolf, and you want a combat-light game, Changeling probably works better for that. Werewolves do lots of combat, and that's really all they're good at. You can do combat-light, sure, but combat is their main means of interacting with everyone around them.

That said, while Changeling lends itself better to combat-light games, it's noticeably more complex then Werewolf. So be warned: before you go into the game, you really want to know how the game works. Read through the core books, both World of Darkness and Changeling: the Lost, first, and don't let players pull from other books for you first game.
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Pixie in the Playground

So I found a Changeling scenario online, and if everyone agrees, we'll probably start with that. I do have some experience DMing for DnD, so I'll spend some time in the books, and see what I can see.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Pixie in the Playground

Okay, so I'm reading this scenario, and I've got a few questions.

Actually, I have a scenario myself.

Okay, so.

I have a PC with a 5 in Strength, and a 3 in Weaponry. His opponent has a 3 in Defense. The PC has a +1 weapon. So, the PC would roll 6 dice. (8+1)-3. 8's count as successes, and below eights are failed. If the PC so chose, they could expend one point of Willpower, to add three extra dice to the pool, for a total of 9. (8+1+3)-9). Any results of ten are rerolled further, adding to the success pool if they succeed. Rolling stops once no tens are rolled.

I'm fairly sure I have that right, but my question is this. If the PC is attacked that turn, can he further expend one will to increase his defense, or is he limited, similarly to Glamour?

15. - Top - End - #225

He's limited. Page 133 of the World of Darkness rulebook states that only 1 willpower point can be spent per turn, regardless of how it's used. So, if your hypothetical strongman spent willpower to attack his opponent, he cannot then spend more willpower to bolster his defense against an incoming attack.

The reason for this, from a narrative perspective, is that, by spending a willpower point, you are throwing all of your effort into that action. Once you have done that, you cannot then throw the same level of effort into other actions.
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Would wooden bullets work ? I have a feeling that they'd be too fragile and would disintegrate in the barrel but that is just a guess really. Anybody have nay better knowledge
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

17. - Top - End - #227

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Would wooden bullets work ? I have a feeling that they'd be too fragile and would disintegrate in the barrel but that is just a guess really. Anybody have nay better knowledge
    Wooden bullets can work, but as a lot of a bullet's power comes from it's weight, they wouldn't travel as far or hit as hard. Mind, this is from reading stories off of the Internet and other fantasy books.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

18. - Top - End - #228

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Wooden bullets tend to shake themselves apart and/or burn up and in any event won't penetrate far. A wood-core bullet likewise won't work, and slivers in a hollow-point are right out. Now, you could always use a hand crossbow, and the Hunter book has stats for a zip-stake, but my favorite method of "surprise, stake!" has always been to powder up some wood in a blender and offer it mixed into a drink to a vampire (especially effective if you have any Mandrakes).

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

19. - Top - End - #229

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    but my favorite method of "surprise, stake!" has always been to powder up some wood in a blender and offer it mixed into a drink to a vampire (especially effective if you have any Mandrakes).
    How does that even work? The stake needs to go through the vampire's heart, not just be in their body.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

nah, the real way, would be to powder up some wood and put in a steak for a vampire to eat.

and therefore kill the vampire with a wooden steak.

21. - Top - End - #231

Wooden bullets tend to shake themselves apart and/or burn up and in any event won't penetrate far. A wood-core bullet likewise won't work, and slivers in a hollow-point are right out. Now, you could always use a hand crossbow, and the Hunter book has stats for a zip-stake, but my favorite method of "surprise, stake!" has always been to powder up some wood in a blender and offer it mixed into a drink to a vampire (especially effective if you have any Mandrakes).
    Yeah, I have no idea how this is supposed to do anything to the vampire.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    nah, the real way, would be to powder up some wood and put in a steak for a vampire to eat.

and therefore kill the vampire with a wooden steak.
    "See, I told you it would work! It's common knowledge that vampires are cipplingly vulnerable to puns."

"And here I thought I was the only one."
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2012-10-14 at 08:17 PM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

and now I've got an idea for a texan Hunter who got confused over the spelling of "stake" and has carved some wood into the shape of a steak so he tries to go around and slay vampires by shoving a wooden steak through their heart.

24. - Top - End - #234

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Yeah, I have no idea how this is supposed to do anything to the vampire.
    Well, ideally you mix it in with actual Vitae (hence the Mandrake thing) before a setting in which the blush of life is expected (a rave party, Elysium, whatever). They gain a heartbeat and then the powdered wood lodges in their heart tissue.

Stealth staking. Your storyteller may or may not approve.

My extended homebrew sig

25. - Top - End - #235

Well, ideally you mix it in with actual Vitae (hence the Mandrake thing) before a setting in which the blush of life is expected (a rave party, Elysium, whatever). They gain a heartbeat and then the powdered wood lodges in their heart tissue.

Stealth staking. Your storyteller may or may not approve.
    I don't think I've ever met a storyteller that would let that slide -not for the least because that's not a 'stealth staking' so much as an automatic instant kill, since the 'stake' can't be removed once it's in.

26. - Top - End - #236

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I don't think I've ever met a storyteller that would let that slide -not for the least because that's not a 'stealth staking' so much as an automatic instant kill, since the 'stake' can't be removed once it's in.
    It worked great for me until I tried it on a closet Crone sorceress. When her ritual to destroy the stake went off she tracked me down and killed my character painfully.

My extended homebrew sig

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Does it ever explain why staking a vampire puts them to sleep? I know the sunlight thing is explained as a mystical weakness rather than a physiological one; VALKYRIE's gadget to emit light and radiation that's almost identical to sunlight might make a vamp go into fear frenzy, but won't actually ash it. But the stake thing, I'm not sure about. Is there some symbolic reason why a sharp piece of wood to the chest is significant, or is it a biological thing that "plant cells + vampire heart tissue = bad"?

28. - Top - End - #238

The winning answer is... No. The core book says that "Kindred offer a number of religious and occult theories for why wood has this power. Most Kindred simply accept it as a fact of life." It seems to be another case of, "Choose your own explanation that best fits your chronicle."

As for the powdered stake trick, I can think of another good reason it wouldn't work: the heart must be pierced by the stake. Tricking a vampire into drinking Vitae mixed with powdered wood and then invoking the Blush of Life wouldn't actually do anything unless your ST was being really generous.

29. - Top - End - #239

Even assuming the Kindred could keep it down in the first place; after all, just because he orders a so-rare-it's-bloody T-bone doesn't mean he's going to be able to avoid the part where he brings it up.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Task Force: Valkyrie actually has access to wooden bullets. They're made of soft splinters around a mistletoe core. They deal a limited amount of lethal damage to vampires and called shots can stake them from a distance.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.