New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

Default Poisoning the Poison Immune

One of the players in a campaign I'm in is playing an archer that shoots arrows with poison on them. The problem is, at our level (15) most things are immune to poison either from spells, race, or as a class feature.

I'm wondering if there is some way, by RAW, to poison creatures that are immune to poisons. We have a counter for those immune via spells for magic items (Arrows of Greater Spell Storing with Greater Dispel Magic stored in them), but that still leaves a ton of stuff immune to his shtick.

We have access to Druid and Wizard casting if that matters
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGoW View Post
    95% of martial problems can be solved by Tome of Battle...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Poisoning the Poison Immune

PAO them into something that's not immune to poison. Though that likely obviates your need to poison them in the first place. Serpent Kingdoms and Tome of magic have spells that can remove extraordinary and supernatural abilities on certain things, so if the immunity results from one of those things that can help.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember to be careful what you wish for. With a method like that, a wizard with minor creation, and a few buckets, the campaign might come to an abrupt end.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

4. - Top - End - #4

Daemon

Found the spell in Serpent Kingdom to remove ex/su abilities. Sadly, that still doesn't solve the issue of demons, devils, undead, constructs, oozes, etc. that are immune to poisons due to race.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Are you able to get any ravishes? IIRC they arent poisons and are thus not precluded
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Poisons suck at high levels. If the player's specifically invested resources in poison abilities, retraining and Psychic Reformation are not bad options.

But for the only answers I can think of to your question:
    Ravages are specifically not poisons,but act like them. If you're fighting evil things, they at least get around immunities (though on the same principle, most of the things that make poisons almost resemble viable higher-level options don't apply to ravages).

There are also two diseases I can think of that are generally treated as poison: the compsagnathus from Dragon Magazine, and the Ratfolk Alchemist from Pathfinder. (But poison and disease immunities generally come as a package deal, so those probably aren't helpful.)

But actually getting around the immunity usually means bringing in big and smashy enough tools that not using them to just end the fight is a bit silly.

7. - Top - End - #7

Daemon

yeah, I realize they suck at high levels. But the player likes the concept of sneaking in the shadows, shooting people, and letting the poison kill them.

So I'm wondering if there are ways to make them work. Ravages could work, except that they are expensive as hell, and have pretty low save DCs

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Undead immunities can be handled by Spark of Life, a level 3 cleric/level 4 druid spell from the Spell Compendium.

Downsides to the spell are the fact that it's a single target Will-negates touch spell. Upsides are that all undead immunities are removed, including ability damage, fatigue/exhaustion, nonlethal damage, sneak attacks, sleep, death effects and (yes) poison.

If you've invested a lot of resources into ability damage or poison, it can help, but generally if I'm going to be hitting undead enemies with a Will-negates effect, I'd rather it be Command/Control Undead or Undeath to Death.

Also not sure of any equivalent spells for oozes, constructs, etc.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

9. - Top - End - #9

Daemon

I guess I could use Spark of Life as a basis with the DMG rules for custom spell research to try to get something.

Even if I agree that the spell isn't worth it when used by a caster, in spell storing arrows, fired by a party member that shoots minimum of 8 arrows a random, it can still be very effective in spreading some poisonous love ^^

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

For things that need to breathe and aren't underwater breathers, aboleth mucus from savage species. It isn't a 'poison' per say, but has the victim that fails the save ( i think dc 19 ) be unable to breathe ( unless is underwater and can breathe underwater if victim needs to breathe air to live ) for 3 hours.
    Last edited by animewatcha; 2012-10-06 at 02:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by demigodus View Post
    Even if I agree that the spell isn't worth it when used by a caster, in spell storing arrows, fired by a party member that shoots minimum of 8 arrows a random, it can still be very effective in spreading some poisonous love ^^
    Spell Storing never works with arrows, for two reasons:
    • The arrow isn't wielded after firing.
      Any time the weapon strikes a creature and the creature takes damage from it, the weapon can immediately cast the spell on that creature as a free action if the wielder desires.
    • The arrow is destroyed on impact, meaning it's no longer Spell Storing.
      Generally speaking, ammunition that hits its target is destroyed or rendered useless, while normal ammunition that misses has a 50% chance of being destroyed or lost.
      A damaged magic item continues to function, but if it is destroyed, all its magical power is lost.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Spell Storing never works with arrows, for two reasons:
    • The arrow isn't wielded after firing.
    • The arrow is destroyed on impact, meaning it's no longer Spell Storing.
    Hey, no need to ruin their fun. Assume it works until ruled by the DM otherwise.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

13. - Top - End - #13

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by animewatcha View Post
    For things that need to breathe and aren't underwater breathers, aboleth mucus from savage species. It isn't a 'poison' per say, but has the victim that fails the save ( i think dc 19 ) be unable to breathe ( unless is underwater and can breathe underwater if victim needs to breathe air to live ) for 3 hours.
    Holy, that is scary for 20 gp. Next time I have a low level adventure, I'm getting a few of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Spell Storing never works with arrows, for two reasons
    While I'm pretty sure that, by RAW, you are correct, the DM seems fine with it so far (he was the one to point us to Greater Spell Storing after the other player asked about Spell Storing arrows that store up to lvl 6 spells).

So at least, in my current game, they are allowed. At least until the DM sees those arguments anyways...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm a Pathfinder player, and sadly, this issue came up in my last campaign:

The party Alchemist was very Bomb/Poison focused and realized that at even before 15th level, the amount of things Immune or Highly Resistant to poisons were so staggering that he simply made poisons so he could sell them. I mean yeah, he was making a rather nice net profit as an adventurer/apothecary, but he wasn't having fun anymore. So my DM improvised and gave monsters that weren't immune to poison class levels to balance the scales so he could use his poisons.

At the end of the day, beyond the Optimization, theories, and rules, D&D/PF is a game and games are meant to be fun. If one player isn't having fun because the DM is throwing a lot of monsters that are immune to what he's doing, then the DM has failed
    Current Avatar:
    Captain Roy Valiant by Lord Fullbladder

Former Avatars:
    Deepwyrm Drow Warblade by gurgleflep
    Kakashi Avatar by Dispozition
    Draenei Spellbreaker by KaptainKrutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Anecronwashere View Post
    Cleric: Right, I cast Infict Serious Wounds on that guy.
    DM: Sorry, you kissed too many babies this week, you heal him instead
    Cleric: Quick! Someone find me a dog to kick

15. - Top - End - #15

Daemon

Well, to be fair the guy mostly started to look into this after my Druid (with Friendly Fire cast on himself) proceed to murder one of his party members right in front of him. And he realized that he can't shoot me, and even if he someone stabs me for minor damage, he can't poison me.

So it wasn't the DM's fault in this case. He mostly started looking into ways to kill me, hence I decided to try to give me pointers. I started this thread because I was just clueless on getting around the poison immunity.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

i believe drow of the under-dark had magically infused poisons that bypassed immunity to poison. ( i don't own the book so i cant check)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    i believe drow of the under-dark had magically infused poisons that bypassed immunity to poison. ( i don't own the book so i cant check)
    Yes, they're on pages 94-95. Basically the creator needs both Craft (poisonmaking) skill checks and to cast a different, specific spell for each magic-infused poison they make. Differing from the other item creation rules, it's not possible to use cooperative crafting for magic-infused poisons; the poison maker must also cast the spell.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've also seen poisons in a module that were "abyssal poison" that specifically said people immune to poison were not immune to this.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Ask your DM for permission to concoct a 'special poison' for those with immunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dungeon Masters Guide, page 297
    Oozes, plants, and certain types of outsiders (such as Taa'nari) are immune to poison, though conceivably special poisons could be concocted to specifically harm them.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Grollub View Post
    I've also seen poisons in a module that were "abyssal poison" that specifically said people immune to poison were not immune to this.
    I'm sorry for thread necromancy but this is really haunting me. Do you remember something more about this?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mod: you know what else comes from the Abyss? Thread necromancy.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)