New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freedom Thread

1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Freedom Thread

The large pig-like creature shuffles around in the underbrush, then stops, supposbly seeing you. It lets out a shrill cry, and rushes at you.

Charging at you, is a Dire Boar. Roll for initiative.

2. - Top - End - #32

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+6)[14]
    He's so going to wipe me out. My AC is not cut out to deal with something like that yet.

"Wake up now, guys!" Isac yells, rolling to his feet.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

3. - Top - End - #33

Relax. I'm the GM, I know how to not have monsters roll over you.

Anyway, you won init.. Your move.

4. - Top - End - #34

Spoiler
    Show
    How far away from me is he?
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35

You're standing at the center of the camp, with the fire behind you by five feet. The clearing the tents are in is about fifty feet in radius, and the tents are about fifteen feet away from you, flanking you. The boar is twenty feet away at the moment, straight ahead.

6. - Top - End - #36

Spoiler
    Show
    Minor Action - Hunter's Quarry on the Boar
    Move Action - Move to the Boar.
    Standard Action - Cut and Run (Ranger Encounter Power 106)
    Main Hand Attack = (1d20+9)[18]. Damage (1d6+5)[9]
    Off Hand Attack = (1d20+9)[23], Damage (1d6+4)[5]
    Hunter's Quarry Damage (If either hit) = (1d8)[7]
    Crit Bonus (If applicable) = [roll]2d6[roll]

Shift 15 ft as part of Cut and Run, after the attack, positioning myself on the Opposite side of the Dire Boar, rather than moving backwards.

Screwed up the crit bonus roll, but no big deal thanks to me not making a Crit!

Still hurting and weak from his prison stay, Isac careful moves forward, eyeing his target. With a flash, he thrusts his blades at the beast, and somehow ends up on the opposite side of the boar, it's backside, his blades still raised and ready to attack.
    Last edited by JackMage666; 2008-09-30 at 06:33 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37

Smooth. You just earned yourself another attack.

The boar lets out a roar, and spins around clumsily, allowing you time to attack again.

8. - Top - End - #38

Spoiler
    Show

Minor - None
    Standard - Jaws of the Wolf, Ranger Daily pg 106
    Main Hand - Attack (1d20+9)[25], Damage (2d6+5)[15]
    Off Hand - Attack (1d20+9)[10]. Damage (2d6+4)[12]
    Half Damage on a Miss
    Hunter's Quarry (If either hit) Bonus = (1d8)[2]
    Critical Bonus (If applicable) = (2d6)[12] (Use first if one crits, both if both do.)
    Move Action - Shift Backwards

Special - Planning on using Weave through the Fray (Ranger Utility pg 108) to shift 2 squares to his side as soon as he moves adjacent to me (it's an Immediate Interrupt.)

Isac grips his Katars hard, shoving them down at the beast, then hops back a steps or two. He hopes the creature falls to his blades this time, but a careful observer can see he rests on balls of his feet, ready to spring away from any danger.
    Last edited by JackMage666; 2008-10-01 at 09:14 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39

The boar attacks slowly and deliberatly this time, wary of both your blades and your quick feet. It hits you, slashing a gash near your knee.

9 damage.

This is a good time to explain my healing and hit points system.

Ok, divide your healing surges in half and round up. You now have groups of non-combat healing surges and combat healing surges.

This is pretty self explanatory. You use noncombat healing surges ouside of combat, and combat healing surges during combat. Same rules apply.

Also, when you take a long rest, instead of getting all HP back, you regain one combat healing surge, and one non-combat healing surge.

From now on, keep track of healing surges like that.

You may now resume with your regularly scheduled program.

10. - Top - End - #40

Spoiler
    Show
    He shouldn't hit me at all, since I planned to shift back as soon as it moved adjacent, as an immediate interrupt. That's what Weave through the Fray does! Also, my current AC is 19 (16 Base, with +2 Armor Bonus from the Leather, and a +1 Shield bonus from Two-Weapon Defense. Not sure if that helps, but figured I'd let you know

I'll resolve the damage after next round, due to the confusion I'm having with it hitting me or not.

Spoiler
    Show

Minor - None
    Move - Move to the Boar
    Standard - Two-Fanged Striked.
    Main Hand - Attack (1d20+9)[27]. Damage (1d6+5)[11]
    Off Hand - Attack (1d20+9)[24]. Damage (1d6+4)[7]
    If both hit, 2 more damage.
    Hunter's Quarry Bonus (if either hit) (1d8)[5]
    Crit Bonuses (If applicable) (2d6)[5][2](7)

Isac re-approaches the beast, and strikes at it again with both his blades. He looks tired, but he still stands.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by JackMage666 View Post
    He shouldn't hit me at all, since I planned to shift back as soon as it moved adjacent, as an immediate interrupt. That's what Weave through the Fray does! Also, my current AC is 19 (16 Base, with +2 Armor Bonus from the Leather, and a +1 Shield bonus from Two-Weapon Defense. Not sure if that helps, but figured I'd let you know

I'll resolve the damage after next round, due to the confusion I'm having with it hitting me or not.
    Well, you've already dodged him once. He would be much more cautious sometimes.

My style of DMing involves not playing by the rules at times. Makes the game a little more fun.

I don't have my books with me. Remind me what the crit threat for your weapons are. (or did they change the crit threat range system for 4e? Damnit, I need to do my homework.)

12. - Top - End - #42

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    Well, you've already dodged him once. He would be much more cautious sometimes.

My style of DMing involves not playing by the rules at times. Makes the game a little more fun.

I don't have my books with me. Remind me what the crit threat for your weapons are. (or did they change the crit threat range system for 4e? Damnit, I need to do my homework.)
    So... I kinda completely wasted one of my Power selections, then? The whole idea of the character, and pretty much the whole Two-Weapon Ranger class at all, is dodging and hitting hard, and if I can't do that, I'd like to be able to do a full rebuild. Sorry, my power selection is made to do exactly what you're not going to let me do...

There is not Critical Threat system anymore. On a Natural 20, you Crit. Since I have High Crit weapons, I deal an addition 1[W] of damage. Additionally, at Paragon level, you can take feats to increase the range of your Crit (though, like in 3.5, you only crit with that if you hit, unlike on a 20.) There are also some powers that increase them, and some rare Paragon Path abilities. So, no crits yet.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by JackMage666 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

So... I kinda completely wasted one of my Power selections, then? The whole idea of the character, and pretty much the whole Two-Weapon Ranger class at all, is dodging and hitting hard, and if I can't do that, I'd like to be able to do a full rebuild. Sorry, my power selection is made to do exactly what you're not going to let me do...

There is not Critical Threat system anymore. On a Natural 20, you Crit. Since I have High Crit weapons, I deal an addition 1[W] of damage. Additionally, at Paragon level, you can take feats to increase the range of your Crit (though, like in 3.5, you only crit with that if you hit, unlike on a 20.) There are also some powers that increase them, and some rare Paragon Path abilities. So, no crits yet.

Ok. You don't have to spoiler everything, you know.

Your character build is still valid, just remember that sometimes, something outside of the rules can effect the game, to your advantage or to your opponents. The rules aren't god; I am.

Anway, where were we? Ah, yes. The men have crawled out of their tents by then, and were quite surprised to fine your current condition.

The beast strikes back at you, but you sidestep his attack.

14. - Top - End - #44

I'm open to surpises. I just dislike that one of my powers is entirely useless now, since Immediate Interrupts don't seem to exist in your system. But, onto my turn...

Spoiler
    Show

Immediate Reaction (After the Boar missed), use Unbalancing Parry (Ranger Utility pg 106) to slide the boar directly between me and the rest of the camp (whatever that direction is). It also grants combat advantage to me until end of turn.
    Minor Action - None
    Standard Action - Two-Wolf Pounce (Ranger Daily pg 107)
    Main Hand - Attack (1d20+11)[21], Damage (2d6+5)[10]
    Off Hand - Attack (1d20+11)[17], Damage (1d6+4)[9]
    Hunter's Quarry Bonus (if either hit) (1d8)[6]
    Crit Bonuses (If applicable) (2d6)[3][3](6)
    Move Action - Shift backwards 1 square.

Isac shifts his weight with the boar missing, and pushes into it's flank, causing it to move between him and the camp. Distracted, he strikes at the beast with both his Katars again, hoping to fell the beast, but knowing that at least his companions are awake to help now. He then jumps back, giving a bit of space between the beast and himself.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45

The boar, at this point, quite slashed up, turns his tail and begins to run.

16. - Top - End - #46

"You want boar meat? Shoot it then!" He callls to the others, though is himeslef uninterested in finishing it off. He goes back to where he was sitting.
    Last edited by JackMage666; 2008-10-03 at 08:55 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47

"...The hell...." Some of them mutter, and head off to sleep. The rest of the night is uneventful.

I'll tell you what your exp award is when I get my books. I don't have them at the moment. If you want to figure it yourself, he was a level 6 brute.

18. - Top - End - #48

I dunno if they have it calculated for soloing enemies, actually... I'll check, though.

EDIT - Actually, I think you normally just divide the XP given in the creature statistic block. For a Dire Boar, it's 250 XP (don't know if you want to add, since I was soloing, or subtract, because it ran away.)

Also, I assume I get my own extended rest in, then? Also, hoe does the effect my Str penalty?
    Last edited by JackMage666; 2008-10-03 at 03:49 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49

All of the STR penalties are gone. Let's give you an extra 100 XP for soling it, and make it 350.

Anyway, as the camp is preparing leave, Robin comes to you.

"How much do you know about undeath?"

20. - Top - End - #50

Feeling quite refreshed, Isac wakes up and stretches. His muscles are sore, but they've returned to him. His wounds and bruises from the guards are healing nicely, and he didn't wake up the the cold brick walls of prison.

He frowns at Robin's question. "Not alot, though I've heard it provides particular benefits for those in your sneaky line of work."

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51

The man's face turns grim, as if remembering terrible events of the past.

"I've said it before, but things have changed in the years that you were in prison... Come; there's something I must show you." He says, and leads you to his tent. He enters the tent, and then comes out with a small tome.

"This book has documented the events of the last few years. I suggest you read it. We're going to wait a few hours before moving on, anyway; one of the horses escaped, and we need to recapture it (plot point shamelessly stolen from random TV series)."

22. - Top - End - #52

Isac takes the book, sits inside the tent, and reads carefully.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

Epic post to come. I'll write it up tomorrow and post it after school.

24. - Top - End - #54

Well, here goes. I’m writing this up on word, so I’m expecting this to last at least a page.

The first page is a large inked map of the land you live in. It consists of a small chain of islands to the north, and a huge continent to the south. You are currently at the apex of the coastline northward; it slants back south if you head East or West. There are two notable other features geographically, the Hendi river, which runs southward from your location, and the Supla Mountain range, which runs from Northwest to Southeast, starting about a hundred miles to your West, and running diagonally Eastward.

There are many large cities in your area, most notable Stoneforge and Diringson. Stoneforge is about a day’s journey away Eastward, and is a prosperous trading city. It is one of the few places where the general population is both aware and well informed about magic and all that it entails. Diringson, the other major city, is about three days East, and acts as the capitol of the Empire. I’ll talk a little more about the Empire later. Anyway, Diringson is both a military strongold, upheld by huge walls and manned by vast armies, and a fishing community. The entire community thrives on the Great Carp that swim the area. These dangerous fish can reach sizes up to fifteen feet long, and are excellent food if you manage to catch them.

I’ll move on to politics now. The main government is the Empire. It’s a dictatorship currently ruled by Matilzo. He conquered the land you’re currently in, known as Elanzia, and has ruled over it for thirty years. He has continued conquering lands for the last thirty years, and is quickly adding to his empire.

After fifteen years of his reign, the “Alliance,” a loose group of misfit rebels, has taken residence in the island chains to the north. The thick wilderness has made it impossible for his to destroy the rebels, and as so, they’ve spread into a sparse network around all of his conquered lands. Anyone looking around enough can find them in any major city. They steal from, kill, and generally harass smaller groups of the Empire’s men, but aren’t a huge threat.

Now, down to the real meat.

You’ve been in prison for three years. Three lonely, dark years. A year after you went in prison, the rebels found a articact; a small sphere that eminated dark energy. Sorcerers were able to draw upon this energy, and use this unlimited source of energy to attack the empire.

Unfortunately,t he source was corrupt. It twisted the minds of its users, 12 sorcerers that would become known as the Sworn. They created golems for piles of mud. They enchanted the rustiest dagger to a great flaming blade. The empire hunted down, and killed these twelve, after quite some battles against almost unkillable enemies. The man who did it was named Thompson Woodward. He found each of the twelve, and struck them down.

Months passed, and people thought that all was fine, but something dark happened. Thompson’s brother, named Meglo used the dark arts to raise each of the Sworn from death. The thirteen of them returned to the most distant island, and began crafting an abomination. An abomination that killed all of them.

“We have to go.” Said Robin, interrupting you.

25. - Top - End - #55

Isac closes the book and stands.

"Wait. Am I being contracted by the emporer himself here? Who else gives an Orc's wart about this mess?"
    Isac grabs his things, the plain Kukris included.

"And if I'm going to be fighting an immortal unkillable creature, I'm going to need some better things. You better have an enchanter on staff."

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56

He ***** his head, looking at you strangely.

"What are you talking about?"

Edit:

Lol. "C*cks" got filtered.
    Last edited by Silence; 2008-10-07 at 07:23 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57

"This book. The only reason it makes since is if you want me to track down and kill this thing. I know I'm not worth anything to the guilds - If I was, they'd have gotten me out alot sooner than 3 years after I was caught. So, who's contracted you to get me out, and for what reason?"

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58

"I don't think you quite understand. Come." He says.

He brings you to a horse.

"This will show you what has happened." He states, simply.

You follow him through a path that seems increasingly worn, until you come to an overlook.

From the overlook, you see Stoneforge. But it's a different city. The entire place is surround by a wall, and beyond that, trenches.

Spiked bits, traps, and magical symbols adorn the area around the city, and hundreds of men patrol the area.

"It is war. War against an enemy that we've never seen the likes of before." He states.

"Remember when I asked you about what you know of undeath?" He says.

"Whatever you do, forget it," He begins ", these are different..." He trails off for a moment.

"They are organized. Intelligent. Led." He finishes.

29. - Top - End - #59

"Oh."
    Isac sighs, and instinctively looks for exits that arn't well guarded.

"So why break me out then? I can't take out an army, even if I could take out the better part of one."

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60

"Yes, but you can bring hell to them. The book explains it better. You should finish it once we get to Stoneforge."