New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread X: Playground Cosmic Principle

I was interested in the question myself, and from what I could tell, most DnD characters didn't have any sexuality at all. The deliberate avoidance of fluff in Fourth Edition might be throwing this off, though.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

I was interested in the question myself, and from what I could tell, most DnD characters didn't have any sexuality at all. The deliberate avoidance of fluff in Fourth Edition might be throwing this off, though.
    Well, Exalted is geared a lot towards more adult themes than DnD, so there's that. But any game can have sexuality involved depending on who runs it.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Well, Exalted is geared a lot towards more adult themes than DnD, so there's that. But any game can have sexuality involved depending on who runs it.
    Yeah, but exalted goes out of its way to mention interpersonal relationships in its characters and world building. And it does it without a Harlot Random Encounter Table.

Old shames can be fun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Yes, any can, but while in most games you add it after the fact, so to speak, Exalted is pretty direct about sexuality and it's there by default. Not many games have character-buyable powers explicitly and uniquely devoted to sexing people, after all. And that damn meme about everyone in Creation being bi and always in the mood did not come from thin air, you know
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-04-30 at 05:55 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Well, to correct my earlier statement.

For the most part (so far as I know; I don't have the Book of Erotic Fantasy, so who knows), D&D really isn't concerned with that sort of thing. On the other hand...

The setting of Exalted was created when two Titanic beings both identified as female were getting it on. Two entirely separate Titanic beings both identifying as male are probably the ones with the healthiest relationship written (ultimate bromance GO). If you don't think they have the best relationship written, there's a happily married lesbian woman and gay man instead.

There's a sidebar in MoEP: DBs about how homosexuality is tolerated, even celebrated and viewed as advantageous in places (warrior-bond, no illegitimate children) - although being soft or effete is not, as DBs are at heart soldiers.

There are more subtle bits. In D&D the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity is a cursed item, in theory with the implication that it's something sprung on you unexpectedly that you want to get rid of as soon as possible. In Exalted a Stone of Gender Transformation is a significant and valuable magical treasure.

There are also spirits, who can and will have relationships with humans despite being a spider or a rainstorm or a large assemblage of wheels which may not have any clear gender identity at all. There's Luna, who is whatever, whenever ze feels like doing something different. There are female ghosts, who have to seek out living women if they want to have children.

Neomah are in the corebook. They do a lot of things - they can shapeshift male/female/neither/both. They can let people who normally couldn't or wouldn't breed have children - men, women, physically asexual beings, Tya, whatever. Speaking of, there are the Tya, who identify as men, and Righteous Tsunami, who puts a face on the Tya and makes them badass.

I guess with all that, it's definitely the least heteronormative setting I've ever seen.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2012-04-30 at 10:45 AM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

6. - Top - End - #216
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    There are more subtle bits. In D&D the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity is a cursed item, in theory with the implication that it's something sprung on you unexpectedly that you want to get rid of as soon as possible. In Exalted a Stone of Gender Transformation is a significant and valuable magical treasure.
    The hearthstone lets you voluntarily change your sex, and you can change back afterward - the cursed item forces you to, and keeps you that way.

Yeah, I'm gonna say it's cursed.

Speaking of, there are the Tya, who identify as men, and Righteous Tsunami, who puts a face on the Tya and makes them badass.
    Unfortunately, Righteous Tsunami's relationship to the Tya is problematic considering that the Tya weren't a thing 'til hundreds of years after she was born, making the idea that she was one pre-Exaltation dubious.

On that note, I see Dean Shomshak's written up something nice to explain that little plot-hole, but we'll have to wait and see if it makes it to canon.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2012-04-30 at 11:27 AM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

I guess with all that, it's definitely the least heteronormative setting I've ever seen.
    I think it falls short of Free Market by a little bit. Post-scarcity sci-fi where people can just hop into other bodies, alter their own genetics, and create/swap/reconfigure memories and personality traits pretty much at will. In that setting, "heteronormative" has ceased to be a meaningful concept at all (and has been for generations). Hell, "gender" and "sex" and "sexuality" are hardly meaningful to define. "Are you a boy?" ceases to be something anyone in the setting would ask when you could have ten thousand additional minds gestalted to your own, while simultaneously existing in fourteen bodies, all with entirely different non-male/female genitalia, and the person you're talking to has willingly and purposefully hooked up his consciousness to the net so that anyone passing by can dynamically rewrite his memories (out of boredom, of course) or download their current state and spit out an identical clone of them, or whatever.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

I play only heterosexual characters.

I'm a rebel.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    The hearthstone lets you voluntarily change your sex, and you can change back afterward - the cursed item forces you to, and keeps you that way.

Of course, DnD does not have a non-cursed version, to my knowledge. By contrast, Exalted mostly lacks the cursed version.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

10. - Top - End - #220
    Firbolg in the Playground

On that note, another problem the Tya have is that the omniscient narrator apparently doesn't respect the Tya's gender identity.

Note that despite the fact that said narrator points out how Tya identify as male and refer to themselves with "he" instead of "she," the narrator always uses "she" when referring to one.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah. There are masks that allow you to change your sex and appearance at will in D&D too, normally used for disguise. Those are magic items with money costs and such. The Girdle is cursed because it springs on you even if you don't want it and can't be removed short of a Break Enchantment spell.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Banned

On that note, another problem the Tya have is that the omniscient narrator apparently doesn't respect the Tya's gender identity.

Note that despite the fact that said narrator points out how Tya identify as male and refer to themselves with "he" instead of "she," the narrator always uses "she" when referring to one.
    That sucks, what about the Dereth?

~

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Free Market
    Okay yes, forgot about Free Market.

The second least heteronormative setting I've seen in a while, then.

That probably still qualifies it as Pretty Gay, though.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Okay yes, forgot about Free Market.

The second least heteronormative setting I've seen in a while, then.

That probably still qualifies it as Pretty Gay, though.
    Indeed.

The world being created from hot lesbian action is one of my favorite touches to the setting.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Yeah. There are masks that allow you to change your sex and appearance at will in D&D too, normally used for disguise. Those are magic items with money costs and such. The Girdle is cursed because it springs on you even if you don't want it and can't be removed short of a Break Enchantment spell.
    Ah, I didn't know those were a thing. ^^;

Well, I will try and salvage my position by saying that although benign sex-changing magic exists in D&D, the Girdle is probably better-known and more iconic, and that it's probably a D&D player's first introduction to such within the game.

And it does portray sex-change as something snuck upon the player that they want to get rid of as soon as possible, also as something lulzy.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, I didn't know those were a thing. ^^;
    Well, the Alter Self spell is in core. That's usually used to change into troglodytes, aquatic elves, or raptorans, though.

There's also changelings. They can change their bodies at-will. Think Tonks from Harry Potter, except Tonks never changed gender. The roleplay excerpt for changelings even included changes between genders.

I don't know of anything else.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

If you use the spell Demon of the First Circle to summon a Neomah & bind them to make you and your otherwise ineligible partner a baby, do you still have to give them an extra piece of flesh for their own, or does the spell's binding supersede that?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

I had a random fridge logic moment last night.

Does creation have a horizon? Or would someone standing on a crows nest near wavecrest be able to see all the way to An Teng if weather conditions were clear enough?

Because it seems to me that if creation is flat, it wouldn't have a horizon unless the light did some freaky things the closer it got to the ground, and the only limit on visibility on the high seas would be the distance at which everything got "fogged over."
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    If you use the spell Demon of the First Circle to summon a Neomah & bind them to make you and your otherwise ineligible partner a baby, do you still have to give them an extra piece of flesh for their own, or does the spell's binding supersede that?
    I imagine they will still expect payment for services rendered (creating life for you and all that), but Creation's Exalted have a reputation of being by-and-large ungrateful bigoted pricks, so if someone just banishes the poor thing back to Malfeas without so much as a 'thank you', I doubt they would be particularly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Does creation have a horizon?
    It's imposed by whatever that realm's source of physics is. So, the Loom of Fate creates a horizon even though Creation is flat. The Yozi being totally boss creates a horizon in Malfeas. And so on.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Bugbear in the Playground

Does creation have a horizon? Or would someone standing on a crows nest near wavecrest be able to see all the way to An Teng if weather conditions were clear enough?
    Well, there are limit to human sight independend of curvature of the Earth

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

It's not canon, but it wouldn't be too crazy to say that despite being "flat" in terms of not being a ball, the surface of Creation is curved upward toward the Center somewhat.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    It's imposed by whatever that realm's source of physics is. So, the Loom of Fate creates a horizon even though Creation is flat. The Yozi being totally boss creates a horizon in Malfeas. And so on.
    Yep. Or, in computer terms, the horizon is caused by reality having a drawing distance (which, yes, you can overcome with Charms).

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I had a random fridge logic moment last night.

Because it seems to me that if creation is flat, it wouldn't have a horizon unless the light did some freaky things the closer it got to the ground, and the only limit on visibility on the high seas would be the distance at which everything got "fogged over."
    Holden outright said that past a certain distance you just can't see, because Creation has a draw distance of sorts. Probably to prevent the whole "Solar archer standing atop the Imperial Mountain and shooting people on the other side of the world" thing.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Holden outright said that past a certain distance you just can't see, because Creation has a draw distance of sorts. Probably to prevent the whole "Solar archer standing atop the Imperial Mountain and shooting people on the other side of the world" thing.
    UNLESS said Solar Archer has Awareness Cheese.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

robably to prevent the whole "Solar archer standing atop the Imperial Mountain and shooting people on the other side of the world" thing.
    In Exalted, that's not cheese. That's something Solar archers should be able to do.
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2012-05-01 at 05:43 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    In Exalted, that's not cheese. That's something Solar archers should be able to do.
    Yes, but if they can do it from the start then things get tricky. That's probably something of a high essence charm. In fact, I'm almost certain that there's a charm in DotFA, either original or errata, that does this.

The thing we're talking about is available much sooner: I think it's possible at chargen.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Yes, but if they can do it from the start then things get tricky. That's probably something of a high essence charm. In fact, I'm almost certain that there's a charm in DotFA, either original or errata, that does this.

The thing we're talking about is available much sooner: I think it's possible at chargen.
    I'm not aware of anything that can give you unlimited range at chargen, nor anything that can allow you to be aware of human sized targets at super-extreme ranges that is low enough to grab right out of the gate. Those two features are the crux of such long range sniping.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    I'm not aware of anything that can give you unlimited range at chargen, nor anything that can allow you to be aware of human sized targets at super-extreme ranges that is low enough to grab right out of the gate. Those two features are the crux of such long range sniping.
    7BP on essence to 3

There Is No Wind:
    Prerequisites: Any Archery Excellency, Archery 4, Essence 1
    Effect: For 5m an exalt over essence three can negate all non-wound penalties to an archery attack and increase the range to her maximum visibility.

Unsurpassed Sense Discipline + Keen Sense Technique + 2nd Awareness Excellency: Quite ridiculous and not-mechanically-limited-to-range visual prowess. Counting the mites on someone's eyebrows from 500 yards away at night seems like it would carry quite a bit of range when it comes to picking out humans in broad daylight...

Though IIRC essence 5 is where you do get a perfect vision effect, so that wouldn't be at chargen. Anyone have a reference on an unlimited sight charm available at essence 4 or lower?
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Banned

E3 isn't over E3.

~

30. - Top - End - #240
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Voracious Bolt

Once upon a time, there was a very hungry Raksha. When the fare of the Wyld grew bland, it turned its attention to Creation, which was filled with tasty souls and hapless mortals. Into this alien, dangerous realm it ventured, and fed for some time - gladly consuming the armies that neighboring nations give it as appetizers.

Until one day a Solar came and riddled the ravenous Raksha with arrows, shot from so far that the poor Fair Folk never had a chance to gnaw at the archer before being struck. Finally, the things it had consumed escaped from the holes in its body, and the brightly glowing Solar advanced on the tattered thing.

At that moment, from an exquisite set of porcelain that Fate had left behind, three black and bronze clad figures rose to strike down the depleted Solar. The Raksha, seeing itself deprived of a most exceptional fate, grew wroth and, copying the treacherous martial artists, turned its hunger into bolts for its foe to use.

When the Teacup assailants were dealt with, the Solar could not fully destroy the Raksha that had, in the end, helped it survive. Instead, a strange bargain was struck, and the Raksha was never hungry again - while the Solar's supply of arrows, visual acuity and accuracy were unsurpassed.

2 dot Behemoth (6 committed motes)
    Assumption of the Person's Heart - the Bolt manifests as a Wyld taint on its carrier, forming odd appetites at times.
    Assumption of Earth Form - the Bolt cannot help but appear as a bracer decorated with rough gems, and its senses are not troubled by darkness.
    Imposition of Law - the Bolt cannot miss with a bow, and this is a talent it can share with the one it is bonded to.
    Mind's Grip Rigor - the Bolt is aware of everything there might be to consume within sight, and its sight is unsurpassed and always active - and can be communicated to its carrier.
    Luminous Exhalation - the Bolt's hunger is unlimited, and each thing it wishes to consume becomes another arrow, for itself or the one it is bonded to.

If you just want Keen Sight Technique, use a 1-dot Adjuration (1 committed mote) to get all the time it via Mind's Grip Rigor. Or a 2-dot to add Assumption of Earth Form for perfect vision in total darkness.