New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: The Definitive Guide to the Tippyverse, By Emperor Tippy

I think it is highly interesting, and I like it, but I am not seeing eye to eye with you in regards to TC.

Your own fluff states that the world existed before the spell, and then some wizard invented it which changed the world.

This creates a problem in that I see no reason that some other Wizard out there decides that he wants to end the threat of a teleport invasion and research/invent an anti-teleport spell that can be used to protect vast stretches of area.

If TC was invented, that means other counter-spells of similar power could be invented*(naturally that doesn't mean they have, but if a PC or a DM using this setting decided too, they could totally do it.)

*Isn't there some rules in the DMG or something about inventing new spells for a niche that doesn't have any?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    There are a few teleportation-proof methodologies capable of protecting a city. Also, teleportation means you only need *ONE* standing army of sufficient force to fend off any given opponent, because that one force can be deployed literally anywhere within your TC supply train.
    When EvilBad City realizes your network is protected by n standing armies, they can easily conclude that n+1 armies will defeat you. Cue arms race. I'm not sure there's really an upper bound to that... assuming your network has x possible entry points, having more than x armies available only makes sense if you're sending in multiple waves or in some sort of war of attrition. On the other hand, assuming x is the upper limit, EvilBad City can create a new entry point x+1 by just dropping a new TC within the target area.

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    If this is more commonly used, then you will have a 'teleportation circle station' outside the city limits (since TC won't port you into the Forbiddance area).
    I'm not sure this would work... given that invasions would be extremely rare, your residents would conclude that the area immediately around the station is safe enough, and they don't want to bother walking (or whatever non-TC transporation method) all the way back and forth between the station and the city, so they just set up shop outside the station. The city would essentially just relocate to the most convenient spot, most likely outside the Forbiddance area.

Tippy, would Mirror Mephit Abuse provide a cheaper shortcut to unlimited wishes? Lesser planar binding is available at ECL 7, which can give you a simulacrum-efreet with three wishes essentially for free. If the efreet isn't doing it for you, the mirror mephit can create a simulacrum-black ethergaunt (17th level wizard casting). Find some way to increase the mirror mephit's caster level by +3 (orange ioun stone + bard's inspire greatness, perhaps?), and you can create a simulacrum-solar.

Also, is there a way to use genesis or create some sort of demiplane to make a city immune to invasion? I'm fuzzy on how the security of genesis works. I suppose whatever method you use to get from the TC on the ethereal plane to get inside the demiplane could be seized/destroyed and an enemy force, but I don't see that a seige would work due to the create food traps inside the demiplane, or the high-level spellcasters inside creating a new TC/entry point.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    You gate in a Solar, have him use his Permanency SLA to make the TC permanent, and have him use his Wish SLA to get you another scroll of Gate. Play around with higher CL Gate Scrolls and you can set up an entire network for the cost of one gate scroll.
    I take issue with a setting that is based on abusing gate. You might as well go the simularcum= infinite wishes route.

That said I really like the general idea. Is the setting viable without abusing spells like planar binding, gate, simulacrum and wish?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by VladtheLad View Post
    I take issue with a setting that is based on abusing gate. You might as well go the simularcum= infinite wishes route.

That said I really like the general idea. Is the setting viable without abusing spells like planar binding, gate, simulacrum and wish?
    I would say it is.

The keys are Permanent Teleportation Circle (expensive, but doable without abuse) and item creation traps (also expensive, but doable without traps).

The rest is just gravy.
    -Dyllan

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doughnut Master View Post
    I see. So there still is a market for craftsmanship and specialty items. However, why would there still be trade between cities? There seems to be no reason why one particular city would have these crafting capabilities and another would not. While there's reason for trade between individuals, each city seems like it could function perfectly well in isolation.
    Each city can function perfectly well in isolation. And honestly, the biggest trade item is relatively minor magical items that have been developed by persons in one city or another.

As for knowledge, it would seem difficult to protect as magic allows anyone to have a photographic memory, firms would not only have to worry about documents and trade secrets being stolen, but their mere observation poses a security risk. This, in turn, would seem to continue to foster isolationist policies within each city, lest they give up their edge to foreign agents.
    The reason the cities aren't particularly isolationist (and some are far more so than others) is that the ability to keep out and ferret out infiltrators really isn't possible.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Not anything, any creature. Even ignoring that, wouldn't the Weirdstone's own effect block it? The wording of Weirstone is broad enough to include Wish's "Transport Travelers" function. The only question is what "regardless of local conditions" refers to, specifically whether "conditions" refers to purely to physical conditions, or whether it includes magical conditions and emanations under its umbrella as well. I'd be rather skeptical of any attempt to magically transport something out of an area that bans magical transportation, without stronger wording to back it up. As-is, we sort of have an IHS situation where sufficiently-broad interpretations create hilarity, but RAW is decidedly ambiguous on the subject.

(EDIT) Google revealed the weakness to me - you can only PLACE them regardless of local conditions, the caveat does not extend to TAKING them. So even with the most generous interpretation you can Wish something into a Weirdstone's effect, but can't wish the Weirdstone or anything in its radius back out.
    If you want a weirdstone gone you can always just Wish a disposable minion right next to one and have them break it.

I still don't think you could bring army-sized populations through in anything like a timely fashion - not because the spell can't theoretically transport that many, but because the logistics involved in doing so become prohibitive at anything past a few people a round. That said, a few highly-trained and magically-powered people could wreak much havoc in a short time, so it's not that huge of an issue.
    It depends a lot on the specifics involved, but yes the logistics are the hardest part (and they still aren't prohibitive).

Really, the difficulty I see is that even with concentrated forces like the Cities you describe, it's actually still too easy for enemies to do huge damage if they wanted. Your forces are concentrated, but so are your other resources, all the key strategic points an enemy might want to capture or destroy. I don't think any garrison could mobilize rapidly enough without additional teleportation and instant communications, and at that point it doesn't actually matter what sort of area they service. A garrison alerted by Sending and mobilizing through a TC or Mass Teleport can potentially service an entire plane with almost equal effectiveness as their home town. At that point, Cities become almost the worst sort of eggs-in-one-basket setup... unless Weirdstones work and you can effectively turtle up.
    Keeping an entire plane scouted out so that you know once the enemy arrives isn't exactly trivial, and they use permanent telepathic bonds not sending. Strategic points in the Cities are covered by anti-teleport defenses of one stripe or another, meaning that an invasion force taking out key targets is difficult.

And weirdstones do exist and offer some protection. My point has been that they still don't offer the kind of protection that would keep out another cities military. Between infiltrators, wish, arriving outside the covered area, and a few other methods they can simply be brought down relatively easily.

It could actually give utility to martial classes like rogues. HQs are protected with AMFs to keep out spies who would disguise themselves, but a clever fellow with mundane tools could try to penetrate an organization, find or otherwise witness whatever needed to be learned and then high tail it back home for a modify memory session with the company bard.
    Most of the classes do have a point and are used. Although the defenses would make a rogue doing what you describe insanely difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleKing View Post
    Alright I am not going to discuss the mechanics here. Want to discuss the fluff and philosophy.

Starters how do the dieties react to this? Most Dieties get the power from being worshipped. Main reason for worship is to recieve aid and guidance. So if you take out the need for aid then most of the Dietie's power will dry up. Something tells me they won't associate with the people of the Cities at best. At worst this could lead to war/punishment. This would be especially true for dieties tied to harvest for example. Gating Solars so as to use their abilities may be one of the key points of pulling off Tippyverse, but…what if the Solars says no? What if the use of abilities is refused?
    Deities in the Tippyverse are more Eberron than Faerun. And they still receive plenty of worship by those in the Cities, it just tends to favor different gods (Boccob, for example, makes out like a bandit).
    Another one are the Wish Traps. To me Wish isn't an automatic effect since it could be granted based on the whims of some entity. Cheapening that may not go over so well said entity so another might anger.
    Wish is solely the casters own power, it's not granted by any other entity (that would be Miracle).

In another area stemming from certain dieties having no more interaction with the Cities they would gravitate towards the ones in the Wilds. As such while quite a few would end up as stated how many more would be empowered by this? Would those towns with so few magic other than Sorcerers, Druids, Warlocks, and some others not have an influx of certain divine magic due to those dieties? As such to me the Wilds would start to have a Nature-y Divine feel while the Cities have a substantial Arcane feel to them.
    It could work perfectly fine in your setting. It's not the one I use but it's by no means against the basic point of the Tippyverse.

Quote Originally Posted by A_S View Post
    Until one sneaky martial adept infiltrates your city and Iron Heart Surges the entire Forbiddance out of existence.

...kidding.
    Don't be, it's perfectly acceptable to IRS Forbiddance away.

But this does bring up a question: the OP says things are mostly by RAW, but how ridiculous does the ridiculous stuff have to be before it's been ignored by the setting? Is it just trying to account for the effects of extremely powerful spells on a campaign setting, or also for the effects of extremely poorly written rules with clearly non-RAI consequences (like IHS)? Some of these seem like they might have some serious impacts on the way a world functions.
    It depends specifically on the rule/situation. The Tippyverse is mostly focused on integrating magic into the setting in a reasonable and effective manner while still preserving the ability to have any kind of campaign at any level in the setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Talentless View Post
    I think it is highly interesting, and I like it, but I am not seeing eye to eye with you in regards to TC.

Your own fluff states that the world existed before the spell, and then some wizard invented it which changed the world.

This creates a problem in that I see no reason that some other Wizard out there decides that he wants to end the threat of a teleport invasion and research/invent an anti-teleport spell that can be used to protect vast stretches of area.
    Sure, and if he manages it (pure DM fiat) then the entire setting changes. It can be great fun to play a game like that. Points of Light had my group playing both extremes, it was my PC's who set up the initial teleport network, another set of characters who played a large role in the CoWC period, and eventually yet another group who oversaw the mass reordering of the world when the leylines powering the traps that the cities depend on were redirected into a great warding that stopped teleportation over the entire world. Great fun. But that's all setting specific and not the core Tippyverse.

If TC was invented, that means other counter-spells of similar power could be invented*(naturally that doesn't mean they have, but if a PC or a DM using this setting decided too, they could totally do it.)

*Isn't there some rules in the DMG or something about inventing new spells for a niche that doesn't have any?
    Yep, but it's not an area covered by the Tippyverse because it's not a rule as written (or intended).

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Tippy, would Mirror Mephit Abuse provide a cheaper shortcut to unlimited wishes? Lesser planar binding is available at ECL 7, which can give you a simulacrum-efreet with three wishes essentially for free. If the efreet isn't doing it for you, the mirror mephit can create a simulacrum-black ethergaunt (17th level wizard casting). Find some way to increase the mirror mephit's caster level by +3 (orange ioun stone + bard's inspire greatness, perhaps?), and you can create a simulacrum-solar.
    There are plenty of ways to do stuff cheaper. It's not something I really worried about, because even using the costs to produce without any tricks to cheapen it, you would still get the TC network eventually and it would still lead to the rest (eventually).

Also, is there a way to use genesis or create some sort of demiplane to make a city immune to invasion? I'm fuzzy on how the security of genesis works. I suppose whatever method you use to get from the TC on the ethereal plane to get inside the demiplane could be seized/destroyed and an enemy force, but I don't see that a seige would work due to the create food traps inside the demiplane, or the high-level spellcasters inside creating a new TC/entry point.
    Genesis is used, how specifically depends on the setting and city. Points of Light saw it mostly restricted to the personal realms of the high end mages and not the cities in general for various personal reasons.

It's not a setting based on abusing gate. The setting would already exist without or without gate, all gate changes is how cheaply and easily the infrastructure can be set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyllan View Post
    I would say it is.

The keys are Permanent Teleportation Circle (expensive, but doable without abuse) and item creation traps (also expensive, but doable without traps).

The rest is just gravy.
    Exactly. And really, all you actually need are the Teleportation Circles. Sure, you end up with massive farming areas that enjoy the protection of a cities army but that can be just as fun (if not more fun) to play in and doesn't much change the basic themes of the setting. It opens up some additional weaknesses while closing others and tends to alter the cities population figures but it doesn't change the base setting.

The key point of the Tippyverse is the existence of rapid, industrial scale, teleportation magic at a reasonable price.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Thanx. I am actually thinkng of running this in my next campaign and I prolly will run it lite.
    Teleport circles will have been created from high level wizards and the profit for casting two such circles and making them permanent is traditionally given to the wizard responsible until he is satisfied. Even assuming the creation of such a circle every 3 years they should have redifined the world in just a hundred years or so.

What changes if you remove item creation traps or if you allow only create food and water traps?
    Last edited by VladtheLad; 2011-11-09 at 08:47 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quite an interesting read, I do have 1 question though: When successfully attacking an enemy city why is the city generally destroyed and not conquered?

Sure its a second point to defend, but the widespread usage of Teleportation Circles makes it quiet easy to achieve. Not to mention that you now have a second cities worth of Golem Manufactoring devices, as well as other goodies from captured/killed opposition, to rapidly boost the newly captured cities defences.

8. - Top - End - #68

Do diplomancers exist on Tippyverse?

Because, if they do it means they go like this:

"Ow, hey there. How about you let me take this pretty stones that does not let people teleport into the city and do stuff?"

or

"Hey! You, master of all magic and owner of town. I know you have these wish and gate traps capable of doing stuff and you doesn't let other people mess with them, but if I promise to be a good boy (or girl) and not to break the stuff, would you let me use,like, forever?"

And I'm not even talking about the jumplomancer, pun-pun and hulking hurlers and the heavy broken stuff...

9. - Top - End - #69

What changes if you remove item creation traps or if you allow only create food and water traps?
    You end up with enclaves of raw materials spread across the world (well unless you do things like you genesis to make a plane of silk or steel etc.) that are linked by TC's to their city and guarded by that cities army. The people in the cities produce goods like in any other D&D city or town.

What the Tippyverse really does is concentrate almost the entire population in a very small (relatively) area and removes virtually every reason for them to exit that area. Whether that area is but a single city (in the case of trap use) or a city and resource enclaves/colonies (in the case of no traps) doesn't really change that. Without the geographic constraints you can farm in, say, Iowa and yet have your city in Hawaii without any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Parra View Post
    Quite an interesting read, I do have 1 question though: When successfully attacking an enemy city why is the city generally destroyed and not conquered?
    Because most of the fighting is going on inside the city and such fights usually have thousands of high level casters fighting each other. There is rarely anything left intact. Then there is the fact that unless you can convert the conquered cities military forces or have a military around twice the normal size then you won't have the forces to actually police the conquered city and it will rapidly fall apart. Now add in that all the other cities are unlikely to want you to conquer more territory so they have special operations going on in the area to destroy the city. In the end, conquest is much more difficult than destruction while offering relatively little gain.

Sure its a second point to defend, but the widespread usage of Teleportation Circles makes it quiet easy to achieve. Not to mention that you now have a second cities worth of Golem Manufactoring devices, as well as other goodies from captured/killed opposition, to rapidly boost the newly captured cities defences.
    Assuming that you can take any of that intact. Craft Contingent Disjunctions set to things like "The city falls" aren't uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by lorddrake View Post
    Do diplomancers exist on Tippyverse?

Because, if they do it means they go like this:

"Ow, hey there. How about you let me take this pretty stones that does not let people teleport into the city and do stuff?"

or

"Hey! You, master of all magic and owner of town. I know you have these wish and gate traps capable of doing stuff and you doesn't let other people mess with them, but if I promise to be a good boy (or girl) and not to break the stuff, would you let me use,like, forever?"

And I'm not even talking about the jumplomancer, pun-pun and hulking hurlers and the heavy broken stuff...
    Sure, they exist. But they aren't effective thanks to all of the leadership having Mind Blank up. And in the trap based cities you can fairly easily have the entire population mind blanked (which is incidentally what makes divination's to know when the enemies are going to attack such a bitch).
    Last edited by Emperor Tippy; 2011-11-09 at 09:13 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mind Blank doesn't protect against a diplomancer. A Diplomancer merely provides an excellent point that others see as ingenious. If they way to do this through magic such as reading minds then yes that part is stopped by Mind Blank yet most of diplomancing is mundane. A simple skill check.
    Thanks to my cancer looking at one to two months left to live. Prayers are always welcome and have fun.

Live like your dying because today could be your last day.

I do have access to my laptop so can be on more often until my time is up. I do plan on making the most of it without investing into any long-term pbp.

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleKing View Post
    Mind Blank doesn't protect against a diplomancer. A Diplomancer merely provides an excellent point that others see as ingenious. If they way to do this through magic such as reading minds then yes that part is stopped by Mind Blank yet most of diplomancing is mundane. A simple skill check.
    Fanatic is a mind-affecting effect and thus prevented by Mind Blank.

It's up to the DM if Friendly or Helpful will get you what you want to know.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Player's Guide to Faerun has a CL20 magic item called a Weirdstone. 250 k gp? I think?

It blocks teleportation in a couple of miles radius IIRC. As well as any form of planar travel.

Doesn't block you leaving it, I think.

EDIT:
    I see this has been brought up already.
    Last edited by jseah; 2011-11-09 at 09:54 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73

Because most of the fighting is going on inside the city and such fights usually have thousands of high level casters fighting each other. There is rarely anything left intact. Then there is the fact that unless you can convert the conquered cities military forces or have a military around twice the normal size then you won't have the forces to actually police the conquered city and it will rapidly fall apart. Now add in that all the other cities are unlikely to want you to conquer more territory so they have special operations going on in the area to destroy the city. In the end, conquest is much more difficult than destruction while offering relatively little gain.

Assuming that you can take any of that intact. Craft Contingent Disjunctions set to things like "The city falls" aren't uncommon.
    Fair points. And now that I think about it, these sorta things probably did occur in the settings history, thus creating the neccessity of things like the Disjunction Self Destruct Wards.

Still though it doesnt feel quite right, from an Evil Expansionist Cities pov, that you dont get to lord your superiority over a conquered population and bend them to heel.

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Parra View Post
    Fair points. And now that I think about it, these sorta things probably did occur in the settings history, thus creating the neccessity of things like the Disjunction Self Destruct Wards.

Still though it doesnt feel quite right, from an Evil Expansionist Cities pov, that you dont get to lord your superiority over a conquered population and bend them to heel.
    And thus is born a quest for high level play, with the PC's carefully sneaking in in advance to disable the crafted Disjunctions.

You can conquer and capture a City, it's just far more difficult than destroying one (which isn't exactly easy in the first place).
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Does this setting deal at all with the Weave?

It seems that all of this constant and heavy use of magic might threaten to drain the energy of the area, causing these cities to fall into becoming dead magic zones.
    If something doesn't work, hit it.
    If it still doesn't work, hit it harder.

16. - Top - End - #76

Does this setting deal at all with the Weave?

It seems that all of this constant and heavy use of magic might threaten to drain the energy of the area, causing these cities to fall into becoming dead magic zones.
    No Weave, but numerous campaigns have dealt with Bad Things happening that cause an area to become a dead magic zone. Like the city that was trying to cover it's self in an Enhanced Magic effect (see planar traits) and messed it up, getting Dead Magic instead.

Frankly, most of those kinds of things end up being plot points or campaign hooks. The city falls because of X (dead magic zone for example) at level 5 and the players are lost in the wilderness thousands of miles away from any other city and with no idea how to get to them (as a campaign hook for example).

One memorable quest for a party of mine was having to retrive an item from a city where one thousand years to the outside world was one round to the city. The players had to guard a Planar Shepard who was the center of a bubble of regular time from all of the cities inhabitants that ended up un time locked as they passed by.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

17. - Top - End - #77

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tippy
    Each person can activate the trap on their turn. Run lines on all 4 sides of the 5 foot square and you get 960 people through per round using the run speed for a human. You can actually get more through but I didn't feel like figuring the numbers.
    I just envisioned 960 people going through a TC in a span of 6 seconds.
    Does the other end of the TC just look like an enormous pile of bodies as hundreds of people all teleport to the same spot?

That's actually kind of hilarious.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

What about a "random city table" with weaknesses, some of them being vulnerable to dispel magic - like effects? :D

The people are fed by traps, what does the lowliest folks do, garderners and maids? :)

19. - Top - End - #79

If you read the Honor Harrington series by David Weber, those would be the Dolists. When food, clothing, shelter, and healthcare are all free people only work if they are bored and/or feel like it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

20. - Top - End - #80

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Yorae View Post
    I just envisioned 960 people going through a TC in a span of 6 seconds.
    Does the other end of the TC just look like an enormous pile of bodies as hundreds of people all teleport to the same spot?

That's actually kind of hilarious.
    They continue their movement. Assuming all of them have equal movement (or agree to only use a portion) then I assume there is a bijective map of starting position to ending position. As a simple linear example where any person can move 6 sqaures

ABCXYtc --> tcABCXY
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    When EvilBad City realizes your network is protected by n standing armies, they can easily conclude that n+1 armies will defeat you. Cue arms race. I'm not sure there's really an upper bound to that... assuming your network has x possible entry points, having more than x armies available only makes sense if you're sending in multiple waves or in some sort of war of attrition. On the other hand, assuming x is the upper limit, EvilBad City can create a new entry point x+1 by just dropping a new TC within the target area.
    Right, but that's no different than any other tactical situation. The solution to an army is to bring a bigger army. The point here is that they can't simply drop your entire force right into the middle of your defenses.

Also, the opponent would need to have information on x, which is by no means a given. There's plenty of means of bypassing scrying and divination, and x is dependent on the number of mutual defense treaties and how well they are being used. If a city has more treaties than the OPFOR realizes, they're going to get pwned.

I'm not sure this would work... given that invasions would be extremely rare, your residents would conclude that the area immediately around the station is safe enough, and they don't want to bother walking (or whatever non-TC transporation method) all the way back and forth between the station and the city, so they just set up shop outside the station. The city would essentially just relocate to the most convenient spot, most likely outside the Forbiddance area.
    I fail to see how invasions would be extremely rare. Given Tippy's timeline, they were exceedingly common. Thus the constant threat of invasion would keep at least the infrastructure behind the Forbiddance.

Keep all major economic facilities and infrastructure within the forbiddance area. If the peons wish to get themselves killed over convenience, that's their problem. The city will be nice and safe.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2011-11-09 at 02:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

22. - Top - End - #82

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    They continue their movement. Assuming all of them have equal movement (or agree to only use a portion) then I assume there is a bijective map of starting position to ending position. As a simple linear example where any person can move 6 sqaures

ABCXYtc --> tcABCXY
    TC doesn't end the move action?
    I guess even if it does, they can still just use their standard action to move again and not collide (assuming that the 4 people entering simultaneously from each side aren't colliding as well).

I can see the process for going through a circle being a bit like an airport, where its a bit of a hassle to organize it and you have to go through customs, maybe have guards check what you are transporting in/out of the city, but you put up with it because its still incredibly quick compared to hoofing it cross-country.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Yorae View Post
    TC doesn't end the move action?
    No. Why would it? You move onto it, as an instant automatic effect you get teleported, and your action continues from your new location as if nothing happened. However much of your movement was left unused in getting to the TC, you have that much still available on the other end.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

24. - Top - End - #84

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    No. Why would it? You move onto it, as an instant automatic effect you get teleported, and your action continues from your new location as if nothing happened. However much of your movement was left unused in getting to the TC, you have that much still available on the other end.
    Good point. For some strange reason, I was thinking you'd have to stop on the circle (ending your action), get teleported, and then start moving again. In either case, you can still keep moving, because you either have remaining movement or you have your standard left to convert to a move.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

If you read the Honor Harrington series by David Weber, those would be the Dolists. When food, clothing, shelter, and healthcare are all free people only work if they are bored and/or feel like it.
    Though Tippyverse > Haven in that the only limitation for the Cities is (theoretically) living space while having infinite food/health care via resetting traps, whereas the PRH could just keep building up indefinitely but was "limited" by its treasury budget.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

In a world where everything needed for living is supplied for free, imagine the percentage of the population that you could enlist into the army...
    -Dyllan

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dyllan View Post
    In a world where everything needed for living is supplied for free, imagine the percentage of the population that you could enlist into the army...
    About 1/4 to 1/3 as troops. Supply issues and specialized support (spies, medic, engineering, and research corps) cut the numbers down. And that is assuming everyone can make it into some form of military group, which not everyone is mentally capable of handling.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

I can't help but picture the city from Aeon Flux. Well groomed on the inside of a nice big wall with no (or very few) exits and spell turrets around the top. While outside is an overgrown hostile and dangerous wilderness.

I wonder if sewage and disease would be a problem? Probably not sewage. Purify food/drink is a cantrip, but what about disease? Could medical traps keep up with an epidemic as it jumped from city to city?
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

In a world where food/shelter/health care/goods was provided for with no real cost to those who made it, what would that do to trade/currency?

Supply and demand would destroy these Cities economies.
    Precious metals would become non-precious (magic traps making currency/ anything) and thus worthless. (Gold is weaker than iron/steel/mithral/admantine etc). magic items would abound (once again with the traps), so they would be just as worthless. What would be considered precious then?, If any item could be manufactured with relatively little cost (once you can wish in anything the initial cost doesn't matter because it pays for itself).

I imagine people would just hand out ubermagic enchanted whatevers like candy on Halloween. except everyday would be halloween.

I also see knowledge being the only thing precious. Knowing how many entrances/exits/TC spots into a City would be worth far more than a couple billion +1 swords to a City that wanted to invade. But how could you transfer that into currency?
    "The objection to fairy stories is that they tell children there are dragons. But children have always known there are dragons. Fairy stories tell children that dragons can be killed."
    -Terry Pratchett

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
    Precious metals would become non-precious (magic traps making currency/ anything) and thus worthless. (Gold is weaker than iron/steel/mithral/admantine etc). magic items would abound (once again with the traps), so they would be just as worthless. What would be considered precious then?, If any item could be manufactured with relatively little cost (once you can wish in anything the initial cost doesn't matter because it pays for itself).
    This is dealt with in the OP.