New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Predictions for Star Wars Episode 9

I'm just putting this down on a webpage so I can either be surprised or have something to point towards later.

I think Star Wars Episode 9 is going to be:
    "Star Wars-The Apology"

Regardless if you liked 8 it or not, I expect the vast majority of its actions and statements to be retracted by JJ Abrams and undone.

Snoke will turn out to be a Disembodied evil force spirit and have a duel off with Spirit Luke who will be superpowerful and sleek.
    Reys Parents will be revealed as significant and that Kylo was lying to her.
    The outlook on the force will be very optimistic
    A New Rebel fleet will burst out of the ground like turnips.
    The First Orders Fleet will be restored as to the same as before
    Anti-Tracking mcguffins will be introduced to cancel out tracking mcguffins
    Hyperspace Jump attacks will be shown as impossible and only done by experimental engines or something
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Predictions for Star Wars Episode 9

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Hyperspace Jump attacks will be shown as impossible and only done by experimental engines or something
    My money is on "they'll be ignored."
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Possible, but I do think JJ is the type to win brownie points for this sort of deal.

Disney did not loose money on TLJ. But again Shareholders don't think like that. It was expected to perform worse then TFA and it performed worse then that and the toy sales are slumping seriously.

They need a big rallying cry for everybody to say that TLJ was a fluke and a easy way to undo that is to just retract everything the did in TLJ. The critics will rave about it regardless. Maybe a DOUBLE subversion!!!!!! Thats like double the smart!
    A little condescending

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Agreed. In fact I expect all problematic technical matters to be ignored going forward. Technology in the galaxy far, far away will do whatever the plot demands of it from this point forward, never mind the lore. This was already in TFA and it is absolutely part of the JJ Abrams playbook. He did the same think with the Trek reboot.

Things I predict will be true for Episode IX:

- It will underperform financially to an even greater degree than TLJ did (and yes the verdict is in, TLJ came in around 200 million below forecasted expectations).
    - The Knights of Ren will finally be included. These guys are a sunk cost at this point. There are costumes. There is VFX prep. Not having them is millions thrown away.
    - A Rebel/Republic fleet capable of challenging the First Order will emerge from nowhere.
    - There will be a superweapon of some kind. It is likely to be spherical.
    - The ST will continue to lack substantial non-human characters.

Predictions dependent upon what happens with Solo:
    - If Solo tanks and gets eaten by a combination of Deadpool 2 (premiering a week prior) and the various blockbusters premiering in June the non-Disney studios will throw up a wall of counterprogramming against Episode IX. It is likely that one of these films will star The Rock.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    - If Solo tanks and gets eaten by a combination of Deadpool 2
    This is what happens when you monopolize everything to such a degree.

Disney will be competing-WITH ITSELF now.
    A little condescending

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Agreed. In fact I expect all problematic technical matters to be ignored going forward. Technology in the galaxy far, far away will do whatever the plot demands of it from this point forward, never mind the lore. [...]
    Things I predict will be true for Episode IX:

- It will underperform financially to an even greater degree than TLJ did (and yes the verdict is in, TLJ came in around 200 million below forecasted expectations).
    - The Knights of Ren will finally be included. These guys are a sunk cost at this point. There are costumes. There is VFX prep. Not having them is millions thrown away.
    - A Rebel/Republic fleet capable of challenging the First Order will emerge from nowhere.
    - There will be a superweapon of some kind. It is likely to be spherical.
    - The ST will continue to lack substantial non-human characters.

[...]
    So true!

The mnost important thing is that IX ends in a way that opens up the story for the countless future movies and toys and games and stuff they want to make.
    Thus, it has to end with a rebel alliance, sorry resistance that looks like the rebel alliance which has all kinds of reasons to fight and the hope that they can eventually win.
    The empire, sorry, the first order which looks like the empire, has been beaten up somewhat, but it is a very credible and dangerous threat.

In other words, a rehash of RotJ, just with the FO being left alive (which the empire WAS after RotJ but you needed to read the EU to know that, or THINK )

Also I'm really sure one sith, sorry, dark side user who does not call themselves Sith, will be alive and continue the tradition. I think Kylo will survive and he and Rey will have a "mystery box" kind of a relationship with each other where the question "will they or won't they?" will be left unanswered for the fans to explore.

This JJ guy is not the most immovative storyteller either. I really liked the Star Trek movies, but they were reboots. Reboots well done in a certain kind of way, but Reboots. Star Wars VII showed that reboots are the name of the game with JJ Abrams.
    So I expect Abrams will deliver a movie that is very much a reverence to Star Wars, but not a logical continuation of TLJ. And given his love for mystery boxes, it will not have a satisfying ending in the sense that it explains things.

Things will happen. And a lot of lense flares might help to persuade people that the shiny Star Wars franchise is back. But answer stuff? I'd be surprised, given what people said about Lost.....
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Whole lot of people are going to need to either be fired or drug into behind locked doors meetings and told in no uncertain terms that one teeny slip up or toe out of like and they will be thrown out with all there office content right behind them and not only black listed from Disney, all Disney staff will have a picture of them and standing orders to abduct and murder out of sight, on sight.

If that happens, we *Might.* get a movie in the ballpark of Return of the Jedi or The Force Awakens or maybe Revenge of the Sith. At best. (Though I will concede we might after that get some quality stuff if they do either get these people under control or get them gone.)

If that does not happen, then either it won't matter because the crowd that didn't get fired or threatened into getting there act in gear will just throw it out after episode 9 so that they can go back to the episode 8 model until it does happen, or, they'll manage to make sure to muck it up to stick to there guns from episode 8 during episode 9 and go from there.

Given that they apparently foolishly trusted most of these people in the first place and in at least 1 case, gave him a contract for 3 movies and a TV show, I sincerely doubt the needed firing is going to happen.
    "I Burn!"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Timeskip. Rey levels up using the book. Ren has trouble ruling his empire.

Luke's Force Ghost haunts Ren, possibly Rey as well.

Unlikely but interesting: Snoke and Luke ghosts being the angel and devil on their shoulders.

Rey v Ren duel ends in draw, both knocked out. Rey rescued by friends, Ren killed by Hux.

Possible: Knights of Ren v Rey's new trainees.

A new Rebel fleet shows up from somewhere. Most of it is slaughtered yet again.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

We're going to get more mystery boxes. Nevermind that there's still a mystery from the last film to be solved (what is written in the Jedi books?), JJ Abrams loves giving us more without answers planned out.

There's a lot I dislike about TLJ, getting down to insignificant things such as being a Finn/Poe shipper rather than a Finn/Rose shipper (Finn and Poe are just so adorable together!). But I do like that it took the most annoying mystery box ('who are Rey's parents') and gave it the obvious answer.

So, I forsee the following happening:
    -The Knights of Ren either appear or are confirmed not to be around. Probably the latter, so we can have a Knights of Ren: A Star Wars Story film.
    -The Resistance gains a fleet from somewhere, and becomes a thorn in the First Order's side inconvenient technology such as hyperspace ramming or tracking through FTL is ignored.
    -Rey becomes more awesome for no real reason, and her flaws from TLJ (being unwilling to listen to others, being impulsive) are ignored.
    -Rey is a Jedi, like her father before her. P.S. that totally believable revelation from the last film? An evil lie.
    -Kylo gets redeemed.
    -If the FO survives Kylo leaves, and it's taken over by General Hux. Hux turns out to be a better leader than Kylo in later films, but not as good as Snoke.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2018-02-14 at 08:06 AM.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

It's a JJ Abrams movie, that means it will be full of mystery boxes that mean nothing that neeeeerds will get all excited about on the internet until the next one shows how empty they were all along at which point the neeeeerds will be sad.

11. - Top - End - #11

I think Star Wars Episode 9 is going to be:
    "Star Wars-The Apology"
    I'm not sure ''apology'' is correct. It's more like ''the mess continues''.

The basic problem is having random people do a set trilogy with no overall oversight. Each person is making their own, stand alone, Star Wars film. And worse, your getting everyone doing the ''I'm the super duper Star Wars Expert and everyone else is wrong, and I, will make the movie the right way!"

It's bad enough that many people don't get that with a Shared Universe, you have to accept some limitations and you can't just do whatever you want. Far too many people are just like "I'm the greatest and can do whatever I want". Now, more normal people can accept this, but not everyone can.

Then toss in the insane level of political correctness...like everyone saying over and over again ''Star Wars must have strong female characters''.....and then worse, they don't even try to do that. Like, wow, Rae is the Super Most Powerful Jedi 4Ever....you know, because she IS a girl.

So the mess will just continue.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron View Post
    I'm not sure ''apology'' is correct. It's more like ''the mess continues''.
    As in the Apology to shareholders. To me personally, Im unenthused. By this point the trilogy IS a mess even on a very basic term and even "Salvaging" it will leave it lopsided.

What I listed where not things I was HOPING they would do but the sort of thing you do to make Fans "Happy".
    A little condescending

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I (sadly) must agree.

JJ Nothing new/clearly solved EVAR!!" Abrams will redo a lot of the good stuff from TLJ, probably keep the bad stuff (and twist it so that its more MYSTERIOUS BRO!), and we`ll timeskip to do so.

Say 10 years.

And we`ll be exactly where RotJ was: Desperate strike of the Rebels to beat the Evil Order, which will succeed to remove its leadership, but elave enoughg there so that they wont have "won" won.

And enter next trilogy.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

14. - Top - End - #14

Luke wakes up from a terrible dream. It's five years after the OT, and Obi-Wan says his final farewell to Luke.
    We find out Leia is pregnant with her and Han's first child; twins, actually. We find out that The New Republic is struggling to finish off the last of the Empire's forces, mostly due to the tactical genius of their new commander...

I joke, but that's just about the only thing I'd accept at this point. JJ, Disney, if you're reading this, I'm willing to overlook the nonsense that you've pulled with the new canon if you stop this madness now. Please?
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Luke wakes up from a terrible dream. It's five years after the OT, and Obi-Wan says his final farewell to Luke.
    We find out Leia is pregnant with her and Han's first child; twins, actually. We find out that The New Republic is struggling to finish off the last of the Empire's forces, mostly due to the tactical genius of their new commander...

I joke, but that's just about the only thing I'd accept at this point. JJ, Disney, if you're reading this, I'm willing to overlook the nonsense that you've pulled with the new canon if you stop this madness now. Please?
    Oh, that would of course be fantastic. As unlikely as me winning big in the lottery mayhap, but fantastic nonetheless.

One vcould even spin it to Luke creating all that as a manifestation of his Angst AND a prophecy at once AND bring a more logical, interesting and Tactical Plot (neve before noticed Sarcasm and Thrawn have the same coloring here. Coincidence? I think not ^^).
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

The opening crawl will reveal:

- Luke's sacrifice has inspired millions across the galaxy, and the Resistance has had a flood of new recruits and support from various systems.

- Leia has passed away and Poe has taken command of the new Resistance Army.

- Rey has been studying the texts and has become more powerful than we could ever imagine.

- Kylo has been on the warpath and has conquered a ****-ton number of planets/systems.

- Finn and Rose have opened a sanctuary for abused dog-horses run by enslaved children that they give cracker-jack rings to.

I don't think they'll retract things like Hyperspace Ramming/Tracking. I think they'll just ignore it. They may have to gloss over it to keep things a little tight, maybe by saying that only the Raddus/Supremacy could ram/track for whatever reasons.

Luke will return as a ghost, and I think there's a good chance that Snoke would return as well, but only as something for Kylo to overcome one more time in an actual Force battle.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Hyperspace tracking will probably now have a scrambler so that you can't do it anymore.

Ramming: Given who's working on it, I expect it to go something like this.

"Oh, Hux was such a moron he dropped his shields to keep more power in the engines and weapons to hit from out of range, but Saint Hodo was so amazing and brilliant and perfect that she remembered that with shields down, ramming was possible and a light speed ram could cause the debris form the first collision to take out the other ships and thus let the transport ships get to the base!"

We won't see it again, unless the bad guys are being lead by "A Moron.". Whom will coincidentally only ever be male according to in universe canon and lore, even if out of universe we can see how truly unimpressive they are.
    "I Burn!"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Rey v Ren duel ends in draw, both knocked out. Rey rescued by friends, Ren killed by Hux.
    Not gonna lie, I would consider seeing the film just for that. I'm planning to skip it at this point, but if it has that specific moment, it might be worth sitting through whatever the rest of it was to see. It would be so satisfying to see Ren cast aside the same way Snoke was.

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post

Only in our wildest dreams...
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Only in our wildest dreams...
    Your dream, my nightmare.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Uh, I think it will be gangbusters marketing for a 2-out-of-5 star movie. That's basically what J.J. Abrams does.

The thing to remember about movie-making, as a business, is that directors aren't getting their money from audiences. They're getting their money from producers. It's the producers who essentially gamble huge sums of money in hopes of seeing a decent Return on Investment on the back end. And because of this quirk in financing films, the director's job isn't to sell a movie to the audience. His job is to sell the movie that the producer thinks the audience wants, which is not the same thing.

That's J.J. Abrams' real strength as a director. He's the anti-auteur for producers that are scared of turning over their IP's to a director. Sure, the product is middling at best, but what's important is that he keeps everyone happy, he keeps the production running on-time and under-budget, and there's absolutely no studio note he won't dutifully take and incorporate into his film, no matter what it does to the film, or how deep into production he is. Because he's there for the producers, and kind of assumes that he can simply lie and jank his way to a great opening weekend. So far, that assumption has always paid off.

As for what's actually in the movie? That's really besides the point. Whatever there needs to be to make a stellar trailer, which is the only thing he's gunning for. Beyond that, it's pretty much just a Transformers film, with less outright disdain for the source material.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McStabbington View Post
    The thing to remember about movie-making, as a business, is that directors aren't getting their money from audiences. They're getting their money from producers. It's the producers who essentially gamble huge sums of money in hopes of seeing a decent Return on Investment on the back end. And because of this quirk in financing films, the director's job isn't to sell a movie to the audience. His job is to sell the movie that the producer thinks the audience wants, which is not the same thing.
    The producers are a known quantity. The ultimate person in control of Star Wars is Kathleen Kennedy. She has the final say. Her decision making process so far has not been especially good, particularly in not pulling Rian Johnson's all new trilogy from production after the disastrous fan response to TLJ. One can debate that movie's merits, but the massive fan outcry is not a question and there's no reason to reward the person behind such controversy.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

To make this work using TLJ...

1)Open the movie with what looks like recorded footage from Star Killer Base, the Supremacy and Crait.
    The death of Han makes it clear this is being watched by Imperials who have been kept in line by Snoke holding their kids hostage.
    Well Snoke is dead and someone deliberately released the First Order's footage of the battle of Crait on the Holonet revealing Luke Skywalker's final battle effectively announcing if anyone's going to fight the First Order it needs to be now and it's clear the message was received because the entire galaxy has risen to the challenge!

Yes demonstrate how they received that message because why would anyone be inspired by someone unless they had damn good reason to do anything about it!

2) Even the Imperials want to fight against the First Order!
    Have a rogue group intercept the Falcon and offer help how about reveal Finn's family?!

3) Have Luke be dropped off on the Falcon instead of die?
    Rian admits he made a mistake not having Luke's hand drop to the ground so use that!
    Rey gets the training she needs, enough of this ****ting on Star Wars provide answers not meaningless mystery boxes as this is supposed to be the last Skywalker Saga movie!

4) Who is providing the First Order with their tech?
    The Chiss?
    Imagine if the New Republic was becoming seriously Anti-human because of the First Order?
    Would explain why the largely human Resistance was underfunded and with Snoke not being human maybe he used his spies to tag all the Resistance supplied ships so the FO could easily track them?

5) Reveal the map to Luke was a ruse Leia set up to discover how badly Snoke had infiltrated the New Republic.
    The true map was in R2 the entire time meaning LST literally sacrificed his life to help Leia!

6) Reveal Phasma is Snoke's other apprentice, seriously let her do something this time!

7) Let Luke survive so he can go happily into obscurity rather than continue this farce of killing off the OT in your movies!

8) Show more aliens?

23. - Top - End - #23

I bet 100 gold that the hyperspace attack's technicality will not be mentioned with one single word in SW IX.

At best they mention it happened. But I doubt even that.

Remember Abram's Star Trek 2?
    They had this super super teleport device which Khan used to port from earth to the Klingons.
    That would surely be handy.
    Kinda makes spaceships unnecessary.
    That's precisely why its never mentioned again.
    Likewise, Khan's blood which can resurrect dead people.
    The next time someone dies NOONE remembers that it even existed
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    Remember Abram's Star Trek 2?
    They had this super super teleport device which Khan used to port from earth to the Klingons.
    That would surely be handy.
    Kinda makes spaceships unnecessary.
    That's precisely why its never mentioned again.
    Likewise, Khan's blood which can resurrect dead people.
    The next time someone dies NOONE remembers that it even existed
    Yeah, with the interstellar teleportation I've seen it done extremely well maybe a couple of times. I'm fine with such devices replacing spaceships, but the only time I've seen them both work is where spaceships are specifically used for economic independence. I've also see reviving the dead work in a story, but not in a way that was hamfisted into it.

I mean, the federation is at a high enough technology level that, once they have a working anti-dead serum, they can just synthesise all the components and not have to rely on KHAAAAAAAAN. I get that the interstellar teleporter might be a prototype transporter derivative, but transporter technology already went a bit wonky once they let you transport instantly to a ship going FTL outside the system.

Spoiler: Wrath of Khan spoilers for those who haven't seen it
    Show
    I find the blood serum especially annoying because it reminds me of Wrath of Khan. Even though it was a late edition, setting the seeds for Spock's return works because it's using an established bit of Star Trek lore, it forms the basis of an entire sequel, and it can't be easily repeated. Spock's death scene is also so good that I refuse to actually see The Search for Spock, the film was actually a great potential ending for the franchise.

Kirk's return is shortly after his on-screen death. The MacGuffin comes out of nowhere when they need to get Kirk back, leads to a rather pointless action scene, and is forgotten about even though it would cause a huge change in federation society. It felt like Kirk's death was added into the story to remind of us Spock's sacrifice, but that scene was one of the best sacrifices in all cinema and lead to an emotional ending, whereas Kirk is back on his feet before you can say 'space herpes'.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    The opening crawl will reveal:
    Sounds good.

Lets see, so to ''copy'' Return of the Jedi.....

1)Finn is caught by Space Mob guys and locked in an Ice Cube. Then all the other main characters will ''sneak'' in and free him.

2)The New Empire Will make Galaxy-Killer Base....it's a Whole Evil Galaxy Base....that can fire a blast of energy that can destroy a Galaxy.

3)Ren will trick the rebels into attacking Galaxy-Killer Base and have TWO legions of his best troops ready to attack them.

4)The main characters will ''sneak'' into the Other Galaxy; Rae will go to fight Ren alone like on a cliff or something...everyone else will have to turn off the Evil Galaxy Shield.

5)The main cast will encounter cute, furry green rabbit people...befriend them...and they will help attack the Empire's forces.

6)Rae kills Ren, the heroes turn off the shield, and the rebels blow up the Galaxy-Killer Base....

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

The producers are a known quantity. The ultimate person in control of Star Wars is Kathleen Kennedy. She has the final say. Her decision making process so far has not been especially good, particularly in not pulling Rian Johnson's all new trilogy from production after the disastrous fan response to TLJ.
    Brand Strengh. The problem is that if they pull an entire trilogy with a director, their stocks will PLUMMET. They NEED the illusion of strengh.
    They need EVERYBODY to believe that everybody LOVES their new products more then they even need people loving their products.
    It means they admit that TLJ wasn't good, which as the middle of the way for their first trilogy is disastrous.
    A little condescending

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

But again Shareholders don't think like that.
    Yet another example of why the transfer of power from management to shareholders was a mistake.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Yet another example of why the transfer of power from management to shareholders was a mistake.
    That’s sarcasm right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    That’s sarcasm right?
    Not at all! The business philosophy of protecting shareholders' interests in a firm over management's*, labor's, the community's, consumers' and other moral/social/non-equity stakeholders' only gained predominance within the last fifty years, and over that time has led to the systematic ruination of all those non-equity stakeholders' interests as well as the general public's. It was a mistake.

It's also one we'll just have to live with, because as your comment demonstrates, it's a practically unquestionable dogma at this point and there's no will whatsoever to challenge it.

* Formerly, management's interests predominated, which wasn't exactly sunshine and rainbows but did mean there was an identifiable body upon which other conceptual stakeholders could make demands and with which they could negotiate.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-02-15 at 10:24 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The producers are a known quantity. The ultimate person in control of Star Wars is Kathleen Kennedy. She has the final say. Her decision making process so far has not been especially good, particularly in not pulling Rian Johnson's all new trilogy from production after the disastrous fan response to TLJ. One can debate that movie's merits, but the massive fan outcry is not a question and there's no reason to reward the person behind such controversy.
    I'm aware of that, and it doesn't alter my analysis.

Ultimately, I think the central mistake that Kennedy made is, quite simply, is that she should have focused less on meeting demand than taking it slow and re-building the brand. At least until quite recently, there was one studio that I trusted implicitly to put out a quality product each time, every time. That studio was Pixar. And there's a reason for that: because movie by movie, they had built that reputation by belting out classic after classic. The run that Pixar had between Toy Story and Wall-E is one of the best strings of movies put out by one studio since the original run of Disney films back in the 30's. And given that Pixar had been spun off of Disney, and had then-recently been reabsorbed back into Disney, I expected that they might follow suit with Star Wars, which, let's face it, needed to be rehabilitated after Lucas had spent about ten years slowing eating through all the good will he had earned over the preceding twenty. I expected them to take the time that was needed, and get the story right, and put out a classic that would make things right with the world.

That expectation ran into a rather sharp snag when Disney announced that, for the foreseeable future, it would be putting out one Star Wars film a year, every year. Were the plans already in place? Didn't matter. Did they have an idea for the stories and direction of the universe? Didn't matter. What happened if there were production delays? Didn't matter. What was important was making their deadlines with films that didn't go over budget. Which is a desire that is not compatible with taking the time you need, and getting the script absolutely right.

After that, things pretty much went the way they had too. As I said, if you want to make certain a movie comes in on time and under budget, J.J. Abrams is very, very good choice. That's his superpower. But it doesn't translate into particularly good films, because Abrams really doesn't care what's in the script. He'll shoot whatever you want, and then say there's a mystery in the script as a marketing gimmick, and then browbeat the nerds who complain about the plot holes by calling them the fun police. He's cool with whatever the final product turns out to be, and passive-aggressive in the extreme with anyone who isn't.

The point being, J.J. Abrams isn't the problem, not really. The problem is that Star Wars needed the same level of care and attention that Pixar paid to its films during its run of success to rehabilitate the franchise. When Disney bought the franchise, to be blunt, I was long since past the point of not wanting to buy a single Star Wars item ever again. Lucas had poisoned the brand that badly for me. A mere three movies later? They're at the exact same point with the Abrams Trilogy and the off-year films. I was underwhelmed by The Force Awakens, Rogue One and The Last Jedi, and now I know not to trust reviews about the franchise. If you still like it, hey, great for you. But I'm already tired of the franchise, and I just don't see any good reason to return.