New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Slight Confusion

This is kind of a D&D question, so I apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forum.

When Tsukiko claimed to created a wight, here (7th panel), I was confused by what spell she used, if any, to create it. Anybody care to shine some light on this? Also please include the book it's in.
    Cornelius loves Illithids. Illithids love Cornelius. Therefore, all Illithids love toast and ice cubes. Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by SheepInDisguise View Post
    Haley will release the snarl, and it will bring candy upon the world!
    Username, and avatar, inspired by my favorite D&D character, an insane illithid-loving cultist sorcerer! He is cool. He has a dead illithid larvae in his brain! But that's okay. It's alive in his soul.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Slight Confusion

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius Grim View Post
    This is kind of a D&D question, so I apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forum.

When Tsukiko claimed to created a wight, here (7th panel), I was confused by what spell she used, if any, to create it. Anybody care to shine some light on this? Also please include the book it's in.
    She used the "plot zombification" feat, which lets you zombify any corpse without using a spellslot. Your avatar is awesome!
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2011-08-16 at 07:14 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

You can easily interpret the level draining rules so that Enervation or Energy Drain can create wights. Either that or the Giant houseruled that wights can be made from Create Undead. Just like how Darth Vaarsuvius used Create Greater Undead to create a floating dragon head with the victim's soul inside the undead creature. I don't think that's in any book.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    She used the "plot zombification" feat, which lets you zombify any corpse without using a spellslot. Your avatar is awesome!
    Heh, this post amuses me. I'm gonna have to pick up that feat.
    Which avatar is awesome? The one(s) in my signature, or the one I am using as an avatar? The latter is not made by me. Thanks anyway though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    You can easily interpret the level draining rules so that Enervation or Energy Drain can create wights. Either that or the Giant houseruled that wights can be made from Create Undead. Just like how Darth Vaarsuvius used Create Greater Undead to create a floating dragon head with the victim's soul inside the undead creature. I don't think that's in any book.
    Okay, that makes sense. Negative levels are fun!
    Cornelius loves Illithids. Illithids love Cornelius. Therefore, all Illithids love toast and ice cubes. Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by SheepInDisguise View Post
    Haley will release the snarl, and it will bring candy upon the world!
    Username, and avatar, inspired by my favorite D&D character, an insane illithid-loving cultist sorcerer! He is cool. He has a dead illithid larvae in his brain! But that's okay. It's alive in his soul.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

I always thought it was a Create Greater Undead spell.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    I always thought it was a Create Greater Undead spell.
    Create Greater Undead can only make shadows, wraiths, spectres, and devourers.

The comic takes a lot of liberties with the rules of necromancy, which is fine, seeing as it makes the necromancer baddies' powers much more interesting than the RAW would allow.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Per the SRD, any effect that inflicts negative levels creates a wight if the target is killed, unless the effect specifies another type of undead.

A character with negative levels at least equal to her current level, or drained below 1st level, is instantly slain. Depending on the creature that killed her, she may rise the next night as a monster of that kind. If not, she rises as a wight.
    It's an easy rule to overlook. I think the glossary of special abilities in the back of the DMG is the only place that mentions it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    It need not even be a spell per se. A magical ritual, taking several minutes if not hours and possibly several participants may do whatever the GM or plot decides it can.
    Brewing a new setting (3.5 ed D&D). The setting is complete and ready to play.
    Indeed, here is the recruitment thread for the first run.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

9. - Top - End - #9

Negative levels/energy draining can do anything in this comic, I mean it'd be too much effort to look this stuff up first, right?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MagusBloodsoak View Post
    Negative levels/energy draining can do anything in this comic, I mean it'd be too much effort to look this stuff up first, right?
    Look, the only thing that can do anything in a comic setting is radiation and this only applies during the Golden or Silver Age.

What, do you think Rich has infinite time to look up every rule so his comic is completely, 100% D&D accurate or that he'd rather tell an interesting story based more on his own ideas?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    tell an interesting story based more on his own ideas?
    This one.

She made a wight with Tsukiko's Amazing Wight-Making Spell, which happens to have no verbal component. Who cares? I sure don't.

If you are looking for moment-to-moment rules accuracy from this comic, you probably should stop reading. You are guaranteed to be continually frustrated and disappointed, because I don't care about that at all.

Asked, answered, thread locked before people try to guess what the stats of that spell are.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~