New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2!

1. - Top - End - #631
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Guild Wars 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Just ordered GW2 online, should be here by the weekend. In the meantime I must ask, how long does it take to get to level 30 (On average)? I want to play a Minion Master Charr and a Flesh Golem will help immensely with that so I'm interested in knowing how long I have to grind with my friend (Who will be rolling a Charr Warrior until I can meet up with his Norn Guardian and we can wreck face).
    Leveling goes pretty quickly. And you don't need to wait to meet his Norn, the cities are all connected so you can group up as soon as you finish the starter instance.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Ferret View Post
    Leveling goes pretty quickly. And you don't need to wait to meet his Norn, the cities are all connected so you can group up as soon as you finish the starter instance.
    This.
    But to elaborate on it, depending on how many hours you put in per session, it can be done in two day or two weeks. It's really hard to answer that question when no one but you knows your play style or the amount of time you set aside when you sit down to play.
    To give you one example, I rolled new characters [at least one] for each beta weekend. By the end of the weekend I had at least one level 20 every time. Remember that was trying out multiple characters. So if you really wanted to power level it can be done in two or three days.
    I wouldn't count on that for your first character, nor would I recommend it in a general sense because you'll miss out on a ton of the fun in the game. But it can be done without too much trouble if that's really what you wanted.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

By playing nonstop, you usually gain one level every 30 to 60 minutes. The first 5-10 levels are much faster though.
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ettin in the Playground

Do we actually have a guild anywhere? European would be nice but I'm willing to transfer to a US server.

Just finding the game very lonely at the moment.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

Our unofficial official guild The Charrdians (at least the one for the people on mumble) is on Piken Square. That silly server that always loses in WvWvW.

6. - Top - End - #636

ClericGuy

We do have a guild. What's your IGN? I'll send you an invite, if I can. If I can't, Ogremindes will do it.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mucco View Post
    By playing nonstop, you usually gain one level every 30 to 60 minutes. The first 5-10 levels are much faster though.
    I found it actually gets quicker again as you get up around 50. Might just be mental, but that bar seems to fly up just running across a map. CM is pretty quick and gives pretty good XP/min compared to AC imo. Have not done any instances after that point

*EDIT*
    XP Graph and info. Seems it gots more linear after 50 or so. I think that combined with I've stopped trying to clear all areas and just going to new areas that are level appropriate is making it seem like the levels are going quicker. Leaving an area at 75% is killing my minor OCD, but I'll get back there. /shakefist
    Last edited by Hullabaloo; 2012-09-18 at 08:52 AM.

8. - Top - End - #638

ClericGuy

My OCD seems to be stronger then. I must not have more than one area, at any time, with some hearts done and some to do. 100%ing Lornar's Pass was quite long, but it's such a beautiful area! The vistas there are awesome.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Troll in the Playground

Xp gains get pretty spiky too right after the dailies reset. From what I've seen every step in a daily gives 3% of your exp bar and I believe there are 13 steps + final reward which is nearly 50% of a bar just for doing things you're normally doing anyway. Not sure how much the monthly gives. I should get that done tonight (just need the WvW kills).

10. - Top - End - #640
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh god.. the Dredgehaunt Area's vista were such a FREAKKIN' PAIN

I never, ever will step a foot into the area again, except maybe for the instance. I got my 100% completion, I'm outta here!

11. - Top - End - #641
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by mucco View Post
    My OCD seems to be stronger then. I must not have more than one area, at any time, with some hearts done and some to do. 100%ing Lornar's Pass was quite long, but it's such a beautiful area! The vistas there are awesome.
    That's me with one exception of why I might allow it to happen. If I'm going somewhere in a zone I haven't been to because of my story quest, I'll usually do hearts on my way through. These areas I will leave for the times when I decide I want a change of scenery from whatever zone I'm currently trying to complete (particularly if that area has a lot of bugged events...Gendarran Fields, I'm looking at you).

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinizer View Post
    Our unofficial official guild The Charrdians (at least the one for the people on mumble) is on Piken Square. That silly server that always loses in WvWvW.
    I may take a look at Piken square then, as I've been ponderin switching servers(wandering around on tarnished coast is starting to get a bit creepy, as it feels like moonguard, but with most of divinity's reach acting as the goldshire inn)
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

I've managed to get my Mesmer's Jewelmaking and Tailoring to 100. Not bad. Now I'm wondering about the crafting professions for my Warrior, though. Initially I took Weaponsmithing and Armorsmithing, but I don't think it's such a good idea now because they use the same resources. Maybe I'll take Huntsman, since he uses a bow as a backup weapon.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I've managed to get my Mesmer's Jewelmaking and Tailoring to 100. Not bad. Now I'm wondering about the crafting professions for my Warrior, though. Initially I took Weaponsmithing and Armorsmithing, but I don't think it's such a good idea now because they use the same resources. Maybe I'll take Huntsman, since he uses a bow as a backup weapon.
    The real bottleneck in those two craftings is not the ore its the fine materials. Things like teeth, fangs etc. And you'll have that same conflict with Huntsman. For least conflict you'd want one of the Fine Material skills (Armorsmith, Leatherworking, Tailoring, Huntsman, Weaponsmithing, Artificing) and one of the non-fine material ones (Cooking, Jewelcrafting)

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. Well, there's always plenty of cooking ingredients everywhere, so I guess I'll try that.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ettin in the Playground

Okey smokey, my ID is DocMesa.8016 . Guildy invitey goodness would be appreciated...

17. - Top - End - #647
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

I did Artificer and Tailor on my Mesmer main, ignoring Tailor pretty much.
    Then Armorsmith and Jewelry on my main alt. SInce Jewelry uses different mats then most professions.

Then my alt alt is doing cooking, and suppling everyone else with tasty stuff, while getting whole levels per crafting sessions. Distpite not really playing him, he is 13 from crafting.

Also
    Quote Originally Posted by Hex on the OE website
    You can now discover with items straight out of the collectibles tab - chefs rejoice!"
    Last edited by Hullabaloo; 2012-09-18 at 12:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ettin in the Playground

just found the great wall of....whatever the tengu lands are. Is the area accessable yet?, or is it an empty space like gilneas was in wow?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    just found the great wall of....whatever the tengu lands are. Is the area accessable yet?, or is it an empty space like gilneas was in wow?
    I don't think you can get in there. I tried to get in via the west side of Lion's Arch, thinking it was another area, but it's just closed off.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Troll in the Playground

It's closed off right now. (Just like the Crystal Desert for which there is an access in Fields of Ruin already.) I'm expecting one of the expansions will add it (probably the one involving Cantha if there is going to be one.)

Oh, and for anyone who happens to hang around on Piken Square; we've got a guild on there with quite a few gitp folks in case anyone's interested. (The Charrdians)
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #651
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

So I've been gradually leveling my engineer up whilst also trying to get into crafting (chosen leatherwork and huntsman as they seemed like the obvious choice) a quick question on crafting: is crafting your own gear rather than relying on drops and shops good enough to spend all that time leveling it up?

Otherwise I've gotten into switching between rifle, grenades and mines fairly fluidly and am working through my personal story quests having just dealt with some awfully nasty grizwhirls.

If anyone else is on Whiteside Ridge my name is Thalric.2135

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Octopus Jack View Post
    So I've been gradually leveling my engineer up whilst also trying to get into crafting (chosen leatherwork and huntsman as they seemed like the obvious choice) a quick question on crafting: is crafting your own gear rather than relying on drops and shops good enough to spend all that time leveling it up?

Otherwise I've gotten into switching between rifle, grenades and mines fairly fluidly and am working through my personal story quests having just dealt with some awfully nasty grizwhirls.

I'm not sure if all armour and weapon crafting professions are fast enough with leveling(until you reach level 70-80 stuff anyway) to keep relevant most of the time, but the non-weapon/armour based ones seem good(cooking[the food increases xp gain, sometimes magic find, and you can also make most dyes with it] and jewel crafting[jewels and jewelry are very rare], and maybe artificing[not sure what this one makes]), also, after helping someone(may have been you, it was an engineer doing the carnival story quests, and he was in the tarnished coast guild nvm, he was mostly using pistols and flamethrower, so probably not you, though it is funny how many humans choose the carnival storyline[I also chose it on my humans]) run some of their story quests, I may give them a try, as they look like a lot more fun then I expected(the human ones at least).
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-09-18 at 06:19 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)

23. - Top - End - #653
    Barbarian in the Playground

IIRC the Tengu were supposed to be a playable race, but canceled/delayed/whatever for reasons I cannot remember.

Based on the script thats in their for voices/emotes/armour and such, and the mention of an Asura Gate being made/connected between lions arch and The Dominion of Winds, they are expected to come out at some point. Most likely giving us more information about Cantha and the Elder Dragons.
    (I think at some point a Tengu also mentions Choosing sides and doing it soon or something like that, but that bit I do not remember exactly and the wiki is no help.)

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ettin in the Playground

I wonder if they had planned for the tengu as you said, but cancelled it due to wow releasing pandaria around the same time as guildwars launching?(hopefully they will eventually add them, as they look neat and seem like they could be a fun race to play, and I can't think of many, or any mmos with a bird people race)
    Meow(Steam page)

25. - Top - End - #655
    Troll in the Playground

So my thief is around level 78 now and I'm not sure if I want to stick with my P/D build for level 80. Also I realized that the executioner trait doesn't seem to work with condition damage which really means I need to change that trait line.

Currently have 10 points in the first line (so my steal poisons and deals damage). I'm also almost complete the Shadow line so I gain 2 initiative when I stealth, blind people around me and gain regen. Finally I have the full 30 points in the precision line but it really seems pointless since I'm mainly power/condition damage/vitality geared and I mainly use bleeds. I suspect I should probably ditch the whole Precision Line and go into the bottom trait line for condition damage and more initiative.

Also I just started a guardian. I like the greatsword, but does anyone have any suggestions on my secondary weapon set? And what traits to build towards (only level 11 now though).

26. - Top - End - #656
    Banned

My guard uses melee greatsword or sword /focus depending on the situation and ranged scepter/shield or staff depending on the situation.
    As to traits, no one can answer that but you. Everyone's play style differs, so everyone's trait choices will differ as well.
    Last edited by Shadow; 2012-09-19 at 09:40 AM.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Orc in the Playground

...Is it just me, or are guardians a must in any higher-level dungeon run?

I've not seen a class that can tank and control/hold aggro as well as them, and a party that seems not to have one wipes significantly more often. I mean, I guess necro makes for a soft tank, but still.

(...Also Neftren, mind showing me the ropes for the CoE run? Really would like that Inquest greatsword )
    Last edited by Treayn; 2012-09-19 at 12:55 PM.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Octopus Jack View Post

It really depends on how fast you level, but the short answer is "no". By the time I could craft level 40 Huntsman gear (and without using my mats on a second profession either), I was already level 65 or so. To get from 375 to 400 of any profession takes a reasonably moderate grind (mostly just getting enough mithril and the fine crafting materials). Granted, you could buy the mats and craft, but that just begs the question "Why not just buy the gear off the TP, since it's dirt cheap already?"

I mostly used crafting as a means to get a few quick levels to catch up to the next zone's level bracket, since you don't always get to the next level bracket for finishing a zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    So my thief is around level 78 now and I'm not sure if I want to stick with my P/D build for level 80. Also I realized that the executioner trait doesn't seem to work with condition damage which really means I need to change that trait line.

Currently have 10 points in the first line (so my steal poisons and deals damage). I'm also almost complete the Shadow line so I gain 2 initiative when I stealth, blind people around me and gain regen. Finally I have the full 30 points in the precision line but it really seems pointless since I'm mainly power/condition damage/vitality geared and I mainly use bleeds. I suspect I should probably ditch the whole Precision Line and go into the bottom trait line for condition damage and more initiative.

Also I just started a guardian. I like the greatsword, but does anyone have any suggestions on my secondary weapon set? And what traits to build towards (only level 11 now though).
    Condition damage is really lousy in the end-game right now, at least in dynamic events and such. It's so easy to stack bleeds and vulnerability, and there's a hard cap of 25 stacks, so it's hard maintain good uptime on your bleeds on top of everybody else's.

As for the Guardian, make sure that one of your weapons is ranged. A ranged weapon is practically mandatory for sections of the high-level dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Treayn View Post

I've not seen a class that can tank and control/hold aggro as well as them, and a party that seems not to have one wipes significantly more often. I mean, I guess necro makes for a soft tank, but still.

(...Also Neftren, mind showing me the ropes for the CoE run? Really would like that Inquest greatsword )
    Guardians aren't necessarily a must-have, but there should be at least one or two of the heavy armor classes in the party. Or as a rough rule of thumb, there should be more beefy types than squishy types.

And I'd be happy to do CoE with you anytime. If you're on Tarnished Coast though, the entrance has been bugged for a few days, so we'll have to cross-server with someone else (not too hard if we spam Lion's Arch Overflow for people).

29. - Top - End - #659
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Treayn View Post
    ridiculous statement imo

Ive seen to many shouts with that (ie some guy shouting for 20 min 'LF1M must be guardian'). While I have not complicated anything above 50, I dont see any requirement remotely saying you NEED a guardian. They do seem to be the OPed class right now, but there is nothing that they can do that a party with any talent cannot do.

This is not saying that they do not help, or cant make it easier. But there is no way that they are a Must.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    after helping someone(may have been you, it was an engineer doing the carnival story quests, and he was in the tarnished coast guild nvm, he was mostly using pistols and flamethrower, so probably not you, though it is funny how many humans choose the carnival storyline
    That was me, actually. And yeah, it seems that the overwhelming choice is circus for humans.

Also, I've got to agree with the poster above about using one Fine demanding craft and one that doesn't need them. Leveling Leatherwork and Jewler is pretty easy, and the gear is all useful - I don't grind at all, by the way, all of my crafting mats are easily found in normal play.