New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: 2016 Holiday Ornaments (and 2017 Monster Calendar) are on sale now!

Phooey--I got behind schedule in holiday prep this year and didn't start my shopping until now. I've had an OotS calendar at my office every single year since they first started coming out, and now I'm going to have to find something else for next year.
    choralconductorsingerprogrammermomwebdesigner

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The PDFs are happening.
    Awesome! Thanks Rich. I've bought the previous calendars, but couldn't justify the shipping price this year, so this makes me very happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Some updates:

• We are definitely sold out. Looks like the printer just didn't print enough, for whatever reason. We're exactly 50 short from what we ordered, and there's no extra box sitting somewhere as far as I know. I'm getting a nice credit toward next year's calendar order, but reprinting those last 50 was not even offered.
    • The PDFs are happening. I just need to get them converted and put up on Gumroad. In fact, since people have been asking for this for a few years, I'm going to go ahead and put all 4 calendars that we've done so far up on Gumroad. Look for them later tonight; I'll make another announcement in this thread when they're available.
    Pity for the missing box but I'm glad that we are getting the possibility to have the PDF! :)

Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #64

Some updates:

We are definitely sold out.
    Sucks they shorted you, but at least you don't have storage issues this time.

The PDFs are happening.
    W00T, I'll rebuy the lot.

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by Edna View Post
    Phooey--I got behind schedule in holiday prep this year and didn't start my shopping until now. I've had an OotS calendar at my office every single year since they first started coming out, and now I'm going to have to find something else for next year.
    You could always print the PDF on nice paper at a Kinkos or something.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm going to go ahead and put all 4 calendars that we've done so far up on Gumroad.

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    Kinko's (or, more accurately, FedEx Office) actually specifically has the ability to make calendars. Now while these are simply calendars with photos on the top half, I am aware that these guys are very versatile, and I would be amazed if they didn't have the ability to print the PDF in calendar form.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Wouldn't they need a release? I have no idea about the legal aspects of this, but I'd imagine they'd treat it like professional photos. I'd advise looking into the legalities before trying anything.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Wouldn't they need a release? I have no idea about the legal aspects of this, but I'd imagine they'd treat it like professional photos. I'd advise looking into the legalities before trying anything.
    Indeed, making a bootleg calendar out of the released PDFs strikes me as one of those things you shouldn't do. I wont speculate on the legality, but it seems... crass. And I suspect the Giant will be coming in with his Red Voice to comment on the idea soon too.

Edit: well never mind then.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2016-12-15 at 11:12 AM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #69

Then print it on your home printer on nice paper. They sell paper in that size.

This isn't really a copyright issue, why else would you purchase a PDF of a calendar other than to print it out, same as the monster minis PDFs.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

The PDF versions of the calendars are now live and available to buy on Gumroad:

• Here are links:
      2017 Monster Calendar
      2016 Villains Calendar
      2015 Heroes Calendar
      2014 Tenth Anniversary Calendar
      Discount Calendar Bundle: Buy all 4 calendars together and get 30% off the total price
    • The calendars have a specific notice on the back granting permission to print them for personal usage. That should be enough so that your local copyright-fearing print shop will be willing to print one out for you, if you want to hang it up and use it as an actual calendar. It will still have a watermark on the front cover.
    • The art on these calendars is high-res (300 dpi) but it is NOT the infinitely scalable vector art I use for the book PDFs. The reasons are complex and technical but amount to, "The transparency I use doing the shading just wasn't working when converted to PDF." I may someday figure out how to troubleshoot it, but I've tried every trick I know already. However, the good news about this is that a really complex transparency-laden PDF was likely to get messed up being printed out anyway, whereas this format should sail through a printer with no problems at all.
    • Full announcements on the News page and Twitter are coming, eventually.

If you have questions, go ahead and ask.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

The "Gumroad store" link in the news article leads me to a Page Not Found.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Yeah, someone noted in on Twitter, too. Fixed now. Thanks.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    I can't get FedEx/Kinkos to show me a price list without starting a project, but I checked Costco Photo Center (where I've had nice 12x12 prints done in the past), and they want $3.99/page for 12x12 prints on photo paper
    Last edited by Edna; 2016-12-15 at 03:31 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I can't get FedEx/Kinkos to show me a price list without starting a project, but I checked Costco Photo Center (where I've had nice 12x12 prints done in the past), and they want $3.99/page for 12x12 prints on photo paper
    Probably just better off buying some glossy paper and making a slightly lower quality print at home and hanging it wherever you want.

A near-professional quality print is gonna be costly for a low amount of pages.

(but, yeah, can't say those prices surprise me; there's a reason why Rich didn't want to do a short print run for the missing copies)
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Probably just better off buying some glossy paper and making a slightly lower quality print at home and hanging it wherever you want.

A near-professional quality print is gonna be costly for a low amount of pages.

(but, yeah, can't say those prices surprise me; there's a reason why Rich didn't want to do a short print run for the missing copies)
    Yeah, going to have to go that route. But my home printer only takes regular-sized paper, and shrinking the pages to 8.5 inches is going to make the dialogue on the actual calendar pages unreadable for middle-aged eyes.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeouch.

My printer at work can print 11x17's, so if I wanted to I could buy a pack of glossies and print them on it, then staple them all together,

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Yeouch.

My printer at work can print 11x17's, so if I wanted to I could buy a pack of glossies and print them on it, then staple them all together,
    Yes, I think finding a printer at work/school/friends is probably the best bet for most.

Also probably not the thread to keep yakking about this, though.

PS: Bought the set. They're not Vector quality, no, but they're still very very good. Even when blown up at 5x magnification they still look magnificent on my computer screen.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2016-12-15 at 04:23 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Discount Calendar Bundle: Buy all 4 calendars together and get 30% off the total price
    The calendars have a specific notice on the back granting permission to print them for personal usage. That should be enough so that your local copyright-fearing print shop will be willing to print one out for you, if you want to hang it up and use it as an actual calendar. It will still have a watermark on the front cover.
    Great, bought the bundle.

So... instead of waiting for the print calendar from Ook to arrive here in Germany in mid-January or thereabouts I could just go and print January so I can use the calendar starting on January 1st? That's new :)
    Last edited by Armitage; 2016-12-15 at 04:24 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Don't go to a photo center and don't use photo paper, that's too high quality. These are calendars, not photographs. Even the physical ones for sale are just glossy paper. You also want them to be foldable so you can bundle them together. Glancing at Staples real quick, it will cost about $10 total, which brings it in line with what people paid for a physical copy.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Yes, I think finding a printer at work/school/friends is probably the best bet for most.

Also probably not the thread to keep yakking about this, though.

PS: Bought the set. They're not Vector quality, no, but they're still very very good. Even when blown up at 5x magnification they still look magnificent on my computer screen.
    Thanks, that's excellent info.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you so much for putting the PDF on sale, Giant. I got overconfident because previous years always had extra calendars and when I went to order mine (later than usual), they were out of stock. I bought the whole bundle even though I already have the first 3, and I'll see if I can get this one printed somehow. Thanks so much for all your effort, even including a notice so that we can print our own calendar :)

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Lovely, thanks! I picked up the three calendars I didn't already have. In fact, the 2014 calendar was the last thing I ordered from Ookoodook to date, and my shipping fee exceeded the price of the calendar by a hefty margin.

I bought the latest book from Amazon instead. It didn't feel right, and the book got frayed a bit around the edges during shipping, but it was so much cheaper...

23. - Top - End - #83
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Do CafePress promo codes not apply to OotS merchandise?
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

12/15/2016 - Calendars Now Available as PDFs (Because We Sold Out)

So, Rich admits he's a sellout...? Or he sold out I guess.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hmm. A suspiciously calendar shaped package from ookoodook just arrived. I wonder what it could possibly be.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Physical calendar arrived. Delightful! I don't really use it as a calendar (too many calendars at home as is), but as a neat little artbook. It'll go on the shelf next to the other OotS books in short order.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

I need some monster identification help in May.

28. - Top - End - #88

[*]The PDFs are happening.
    Sweet! For some reason Hotmail thought that the mail from Giant in the Playground was junk mail. No big deal for me, but others might not check their junk mail folder.

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gamera View Post
    I need some monster identification help in May.
    Spoiler: Monster Identification
    Show
    In the background, you have a blink dog, a satyr, a lillend and a centaur.

At the table, you have Julio, some elf, a titaness, a pixie and what looks like a red slaad.

I'm still trying to find and ID everything in September. I'm up to ten monsters.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for my tracking number.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2