New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: FFRP Central: All players start here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    Trust me, there is no lack of literacy in the Nexus. I'd be incredibly surprised if you managed to come up with any vocabulary or manner of speaking which we would find abstruse, or possibly even orotund.
    A very Perspicacious observation. However, I just thought it neccessary to warn those that do not have access to the vast stretches of word-space. Funny thing? The fleeing sanity must be a general Freeform thing, considering it has been mentioned on numerous occasions in my original forum.
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bladescape View Post
    'Ello all. I've thought about joining this for a while now....

Those of you that take part in Structured Games already know me. I've done FFRPing before, Chat and Forum based, although more the former than the latter, and indeed have helped run and organize as well as help people with such.

Now, introductions the first post says? I'm not quite sure how seriously indepth it meant, so I'll forgo the 'I am blah blah, I do blah blah.'

Incidently, the Nexus was made in 2005? Which is intruiging, because somewhere on that year a similar place was made on the Chat/Forum FFRP place that I mentioned above. (Might've been 2006.) And I do find it intruiging how two different sites can come up with extremely similar ideas about the same time.(Kind of reminds me of the Car(I think it was the car anyways.) being invented on two different spots around the same time!)

Anyways, I do create rather a plethora of characters at times, and I look forward to not only getting involved in this all, but especially the Nexus as I have prior experience in similar settings.

I do believe I have rambled though, so feel free to skip over this post if you don't feel like getting rambled at. So, 'ello all.

(Warning: I have a large vocabulary, and can often spout words that most do not understand. I wonder quite a bit if I'm actually partially Autistic in several ways, but I've never bothered to try being diagnosed.)
    Can you put a link on here to the site similar to the Nexus?
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

3. - Top - End - #513

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    Can you put a link on here to the site similar to the Nexus?
    Not site. The site is much larger than the Multiverse And things generally are a bit more chaotic. It's also Chat based, rather than forum.

I'm remarking on the fact that it's a place where realities collide etc. etc.
    Last edited by bladescape; 2011-07-25 at 11:12 PM.
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

Hello everyone.

I want to ask some questions about Nexus, you see I come from another role-play that is also a fantasy kitchen sink setting, but has had some problems with things like very power characters and and certain indestructible materials.

now I know that you guys keep your super-powerful guys out of fights, but the role-play I come from such epically-powerful fights are what people come for, so please no suggestions about keeping really powerful characters out of fights, however, there are restrictions in place in the role-play I come from of how powerful they can be, the characters can be epically powerful but not powerful enough to epically godmod things.

now for the questions:

1. how do you deal with all the various different settings and rules from them colliding together?

2. how do you deal with certain materials being indestructible?

3. how do you deal with one-upping?

4. how do you deal with bad role-players? people who just use freeform as an excuse to godmod and do such jerky stuff?

these aren't really problems as such right now, except for #2, and the role-play has come along way from being the way it used to be, but I thought it would be good to find another role-play with similar characteristics to see how it deals with similar problems people may be concerned about.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #515
    Troll in the Playground

1. Defender's cosmology prevails. If you attack me, the rules of my setting prevail. If I attack you, your setting prevails. Caveat: If the fight is occurring specifically in a particular setting rather than the Nexus area, then the rules of that setting will have more sway.

2. Carefully. Nothing should be completely indestructible - there should at least be a One Ring style quest available to destroy something if needed.

3. Call a time-out in the OOC thread and talk it out.

4. Try and talk to them OOC and make them better roleplayers. Most people just need more experience. But there are always people who are jerks. Avoid roleplaying with people if it isn't fun for you to do so. Remember you don't owe anyone rp. But if you disengage from something, do it politely and with as little disruption to the scene in progress as possible. Ragequitting is never the best solution.

You might find the Nexus FAQs helpful as well.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

1. oh sorry, I should've been more specific, the world the RP is in, isn't in any cosmology, it welcomes all but they all take place in only one neutral world.

2. yea.....we are not too big on quests, we've tried them, they don't really work for us. instead near the beginning, I myself sorta, devised this material that sort of counters the other material, but both materials ended up sorta being indestructible except to each other, and now we keeping the materials on very limited amounts so that they aren't everywhere.

3. in the past, that sorta....didn't go well.....it got arguments instead....

4. the jerks were the ones attacking everyone and their bases....they are not there anymore.....but theres always the chance....

7. - Top - End - #517
    Troll in the Playground

1. But it allows fan versions of characters from established settings, right? Or homebrewed characters that have their own rules? In those cases, the defender's rules will prevail. And by that, I mean the defender of each particular action, not the overall defender of an encounter.

2. I have no further advice. Sorry.

3. Yeah. That happens here too. Of course the forum rules mean that arguments tend to be fairly polite and people try to avoid getting infractions for flaming, but arguments do happen. Usually a cool-off period helps, as do other non-involved people mediating a bit. Sometimes, in the more extreme cases (the most extreme being a ragequit) players will simply negotiate the results of an encounter in order to be done with it, without having force themselves to roleplay something that is no longer fun for anyone.

4. Memorize these words: "I'm sorry, but I would prefer not to be part of this encounter." If it's a location you control, you can add 'please take your character elsewhere'. If it's a public location, then presumably someone else who wants the fight will be around. If no one wants to fight them, then I guess they'll just be standing around looking foolish until someone gives them an 'I win the internet' trophy.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

8. - Top - End - #518
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hi there Lord Raziere. I believe Happy has answered the first, third and fourth question adequately enough. On the second question tough I think maybe I can help.

First, limiting it is a good idea, I mean we all can't have adamantium exo-suits because that would just be silly and overpowered. Very powerful things are rare for a reason, so everyone doesn't have the same super power.

Second, antimatter. I'm talking about matter that when it comes into contact with normal matter they both stop existing.

Third, black holes and extra-dimensional transportation. Black holes eat everything no matter how indestructible it is. Black holes will just make it part of itself. Now teleporting or creating portals could also work here. With teleporting if it's stopped part of the way through it just becomes scattered atoms. Cutting off a portal would cause whatever it is to now be severed in half on each end.

I guess what I'm saying is, think about it. There can always be a way thought up to counter some form of super power no matter what it is. Hope this and what Happy says helps.
    "Insert some witty comment here"

-Nexus Characters

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ApeofLight View Post
    Hi there Lord Raziere. I believe Happy has answered the first, third and fourth question adequately enough. On the second question tough I think maybe I can help.

First, limiting it is a good idea, I mean we all can't have adamantium exo-suits because that would just be silly and overpowered. Very powerful things are rare for a reason, so everyone doesn't have the same super power.

Second, antimatter. I'm talking about matter that when it comes into contact with normal matter they both stop existing.

Third, black holes and extra-dimensional transportation. Black holes eat everything no matter how indestructible it is. Black holes will just make it part of itself. Now teleporting or creating portals could also work here. With teleporting if it's stopped part of the way through it just becomes scattered atoms. Cutting off a portal would cause whatever it is to now be severed in half on each end.

I guess what I'm saying is, think about it. There can always be a way thought up to counter some form of super power no matter what it is. Hope this and what Happy says helps.
    1. well yes, but it still causes arguments
    2. The original form of my counter-material was basically a limited form of antimatter...still doesn't solve the arguments about it. and real antimatter is considered overpowered I think precisely because of that, allow antimatter, everyone will just get that and use it to destroy other people, not just the indestructible stuff, at least to the leaders logic, I myself think the RP is past that stage....
    3. black holes, overpowered, extra-dimensional transportation, no

this leads to our leader who makes the rules to ban a bunch of stuff and limit the materials, even though the role-players in my role-play by now are kinda mature enough not to do the things that used to be done...the leader still refuses, even though I'm pretty sure things could do some lessening of restrictions.

that and we are still kinda vitriolic with each other....but we totally are better than what we were years ago....kinda amazing order arose out of it at all really...

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I think that things like antimatter, black holes et cetera fall under the "just because you can use it, doesn't mean you necessarily should" rule. Well, it's not really a rule but still. In other words, just because a character can cause some sort of effect doesn't mean that it should happen if it makes things unfun for everyone around. It's covered in Darkcomet's guide to combat in the OP of this thread. It works better than saying "no, you can't use this and that".
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

I've decided I'm going to start a Heroix FFRP. And since I know that none of you know what this is, it's the name of various short stories I'm writing (and where Charlie from the X-Men FFRP comes from). The idea originally came to me when I was around 7 years old, and I've been working on it ever since.
    It won't be exactly be the same setting as the short stories, it'll be a mixture of my original, comical version of it and the more serious versions of it. It'll be set near the founding of the team, meaning I'll be able to adapt some of the short stories to FFRP Form.
    It's set in modern-day America in a fictional city in Flordia where superheroes are a fairly new occurence, caused by an asteroid that fell 5 years ago which activated a dormant gene in the DNA of the youth caught in it's wake (In one of the stories, a theory is given that even without the meteor, the gene, which only exists in the next generation [ie: children, teenagers] could've activated regardless of the meteor. The only thing the meteor did was speed up the Gene's opening.).
    Three years ago, the first young superpowered hero, a boy named Jacob who could fly and had superstrength, and superpowered villains appeared. Five months ago, the world's only super-team (Heroix) was formed to protect the innocent.
    Just one month ago, another meteor like the one before crashing into the city, causing the gene (assuming they had it) of those in the blast radius to open up.
    Player characters will be new recruits to the team. They could've either had their gene open itself (as in, had their powers for a couple years) or they could've just gotten their powers from the new meteor.
    Thoughts?
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

*looks around*
    Ohai.

I wondered if anybody here would be interested in some sort of HomestuckITP.
    If so, I'd not only like players, but somebody to help run it.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

13. - Top - End - #523
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    *looks around*
    Ohai.

I wondered if anybody here would be interested in some sort of HomestuckITP.
    If so, I'd not only like players, but somebody to help run it.
    Sounds like fun. I could help run it, Beans.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

Yey! Once some more people express interest we can start hammering out the dealios and what would be happenin' and all.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

15. - Top - End - #525

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Yey! Once some more people express interest we can start hammering out the dealios and what would be happenin' and all.
    I'll need to re-read the entire archive though.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

16. - Top - End - #526

I love Homestuck... I will assist you to the best of my abilities Beans.
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Total War: Broken City (Retired)

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

In which case I RUV YUU. :3

I've informed another person who I know likes HS, so we might get him and/or a few more people if he informs anybody else he knows who likes HS.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

18. - Top - End - #528

Homestuck ITP sounds awesome. I can think of a couple of people who might be interested, and I also think we should probably post in the Homestuck discussion thread.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

Posted there.
    Once we have some moar people we can start its own discussion/planning thread.
    Eeee! :3
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

20. - Top - End - #530

Oh, I think I'd rather like HomestuckITP. Count me interested.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll be starting the discussion thread.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

hey, y'know that freeform forum I was talking about some time ago?

well I think I found a problem:

what should I do if players get too hung up on the details of everything? like say, they need an explanation for every single power and such and will just keep complaining about how something like teleportation or magic is unexplained?

23. - Top - End - #533
    Troll in the Playground

Tell them it works because the rp universe needs it to work.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

24. - Top - End - #534

Allow me to suggest three eternally useful phrases:

A WIZARD DID IT!

SCIENCE!!

[EXPOSITION]!!!

All three of these should only be used in ALL-CAPS to maximize effect.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Pixie in the Playground

Magic is just someone harnessing powers that are beyond human comprehension. It cannot be explained. It just is.

If that explanation doesn't work for then, replace the word "human" with the word "your."

26. - Top - End - #536
    Dwarf in the Playground

Magic is usually explained as the entire universe as we know it work by different principles and thus amazing things can happen. Such as a fireball thrown by a wizard.

Also you can just lampshade it and if they keep bothering you about said lampshade you could try smacking them until they shut up.
    "Insert some witty comment here"

-Nexus Characters

27. - Top - End - #537
    Troll in the Playground

Say, I've never done thisbefore, but had an idea that kinda sorta brought me here:

The Interdimensional Evil Dating Service
    I suppose the concept may not speak for itself, so I'll elaborate. We have a silly setup with archvillains, overlords, monsters, and ThingsThat Should Not Be trying to make connections in this busy rough-and-tumble world. They join a dating service that holds a speed dating, which is the setup.

Play as many characters as you want, tone is not romantic, but is goofy and silly.

Whatd'ya think??

28. - Top - End - #538
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hi! You can call me Purity Icekiller here, or just Icekiller for short. I love making characters and watching them grow.

I should do fine in most RPs as long as I can comprehend the setting, although I prefer ones where magic is nice and available.

Looking forward to adventuring with you all!
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

29. - Top - End - #539

Quote Originally Posted by psiclone57 View Post
    Whatd'ya think??
    This. A thousand times, this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    This. A thousand times, this.
    I agree with Maggie.
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    Digimon: Recollections (OoC)
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars (OoC)
    ~~~~~
    Kyoko-atar by Coronalwave