New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Unpopular Other media opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post

The whole point of Grave of the Fireflies is that it's all their fault.

It's based off a biography a guy wrote in order to apologise for being an absolute idiot who got his sister killed.
    Yes, the true story is depressing. The boy survives and grows to manhood and forever looks back on his youth with sorrow and regret, knowing he killed his sister with his pride, and he takes responsibility for it with his memoirs... and is still alive today and still dealing with his memories of the war, and still dealing with the sadness and survivor's guilt.

In the movie, he deals with the sadness and guilt for all of a couple months before joining his sister in happy-fun-dreamtime land full of awesomeness and happiness. There is a vitally important distinction here. One is kind of sad, but no more sad than any other story of civilians dying in any war ever... or even more sad than the story of countless thousands dying of hunger each year in our modern world... The other is actually mind-numbingly depressing. The movie is distinctly NOT the latter in my opinion.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

the matrix trilogy was excellent

300 was good precisely because it was a phallocentric blood orgy

Trigun sucked (chiby-chan, nuff said)

the second kill bill movie was far better than the first.

Stephen King's superiority thirded, as well as a bump for Bachman, rest his soul
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    Awesome sigitars by Abardam and Mysticaloctopus
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

The collaborative homebrew setting I'm working on: Nutopia

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Verrukt View Post
    the matrix trilogy was excellent
    Half-seconded. I liked the second part quite a bit when I saw it. The third one, not so much, and it ruined the second one for me retroactively.

Quote Originally Posted by Verrukt View Post
    the second kill bill movie was far better than the first.
    Wait... there are people who think otherwise?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Semidi View Post
    Citizen Kane is the most overrated film ever, ever, ever.
    Sweet Jesus, QFT. It's a movie about a spoiled old man who is overly possessive. The end.

I've seen people mention it, but I didn't realize that ANYONE thought Dane Cook was funny.

Here's one that would boil some blood - I think actor John C. McGinley (Dr. Cox from Scrubs) is pretty untalented. From Platoon to some random comedy movies he did to Scrubs, his characters don't seem to vary much. They speak in a quick, agitated voice, ramble, and call people girl's names. At least in that movie with John Candy he was gay. That was his most "wild" role.

Faust by Goethe isn't that compelling. Granted it probably was 200 125ish (got a little carried away with my rounding) years ago, but today it's really not worth the read.

I think Japanese-brand automobiles are much higher quality that American-made. I've worked at both Nissan and Saturn for brief periods - Saturn is definitely a cut above most other US brands, though.

Watching sports on TV is boring - doesn't matter what sport. If you're not playing it, OR if you're not in a crowd of 10000 with a beer and hot dog, there's no point.

Pro Wrestling is incredible. The stunts they can do are mind-blowing - saying "THEY'RE NOT REALLY PUNCHING EACH OTHER" doesn't detract from that.

Grey's Anatomy is just like every other doctor show ever. Thank God our medical schools started having a physical beauty requirement to graduate.

Never read a Harry Potter book out of apathy. Never watched an episode of Lost or Heroes out of the same.

I still think Tom Cruise is great. As long as he keeps making great movies, he can have do whatever he wants in his personal life.

Seann William Scott could probably be a good actor if he was ever given a chance. Until then, he'll just keep being typecast.
    Last edited by TheGreatJabu; 2007-11-14 at 10:07 PM.
    "This man wishes to be accorded the same privilege as a sponge!" - Henry Drummond, Inherit the Wind

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Let's see...

-The dialogue for the ENTIRE Star Wars series was bad at best (except MAYBE Empire Strikes Back) and absolute crap at worst (see Attack of the Clones; "Well done, my young padawan." I think I actually was in pain at that line...). The original series had bad dialogue, the prequels had even worse dialogue. The movies themselves? Eh...to be honest, aside from the action and the galaxy that Lucas made, they weren't all that great, either.

-Oh, and Hayden Christensen is quite possibly the worst actor alive. Thank god Ewan was there to help him out.

-300? Whoo. 300 tons of suck is more like it. Not being historically accurate is the least of its sins (since, by now, Hollywood all but ignores historical realism). If you've ever read the comic, Leonidas is supposed to be a rather reserved fellow who almost NEVER yells. Example:

Comic Leonidas:

"Madness? Madness?!
    This is Sparta. *kick*"

Movie Leonidas:

"Madness?

THIS! IS! SPARTAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!1111oneoneone"

And the action scenes...urgh. I don't understand why people think it's so great. The blood looked too fake, the killing scenes weren't all that cool (whoo, a guy swings a sword slo mo. Compare that to, say, Legolas skateboarding down a flight of stairs on a shield and flipping the shield out so that it gets buried in a chest. THAT is cool. Watching a guy swing his sword slowly is not.), the Spartans fought not only unrealistically (let's break formation and not deny the enemy their numeric superiority!) but completely differently from how the comic book Spartans fought. Looks like the ugly Spartan-wannabe dude got kicked out of the army for no reason, heh.

And look! The Persians are sending ninj-er, Immortals at us, wielding dual short swords! Cuz, you know, everything's better dual wielded. Nin-I mean, Immortal elites? Bah. They don't even know how to equip themselves properly. At least the comic book ones had spears and shields.

And yes, I'm quite bothered by the fact that the Immortals looked like ninjas.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post

-300? Whoo. 300 tons of suck is more like it. Not being historically accurate is the least of its sins (since, by now, Hollywood all but ignores historical realism). If you've ever read the comic, Leonidas is supposed to be a rather reserved fellow who almost NEVER yells. Example:

Comic Leonidas:

"Madness? Madness?!
    This is Sparta. *kick*"

Movie Leonidas:

"Madness?

THIS! IS! SPARTAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!1111oneoneone"

And the action scenes...urgh. I don't understand why people think it's so great. The blood looked too fake, the killing scenes weren't all that cool (whoo, a guy swings a sword slo mo. Compare that to, say, Legolas skateboarding down a flight of stairs on a shield and flipping the shield out so that it gets buried in a chest. THAT is cool. Watching a guy swing his sword slowly is not.), the Spartans fought not only unrealistically (let's break formation and not deny the enemy their numeric superiority!) but completely differently from how the comic book Spartans fought. Looks like the ugly Spartan-wannabe dude got kicked out of the army for no reason, heh.

And look! The Persians are sending ninj-er, Immortals at us, wielding dual short swords! Cuz, you know, everything's better dual wielded. Nin-I mean, Immortal elites? Bah. They don't even know how to equip themselves properly. At least the comic book ones had spears and shields.

And yes, I'm quite bothered by the fact that the Immortals looked like ninjas.
    You're complaining about the historic accuracy of a movie based on a comic based on a myth based on an actual event? As well as complaining about someone taking artistic license (with the blessing of the original author no less) in a movie based on a graphic novel treatment of an age old myth? If you have problems with the movie, then you must have a problem with the comic, because they're the same thing.

It's not a matter of accuracy to history, military tactics, or the source material. It is a question of: Did the film portray the story in an interesting, compelling, and above all entertaining way? In my opinion, yes, yes it did
    Last edited by Verruckt; 2007-11-15 at 12:38 AM.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    Awesome sigitars by Abardam and Mysticaloctopus
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

The collaborative homebrew setting I'm working on: Nutopia

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

But it was wrong...it was just so wrong...

*goes off to weep in a corner*

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatJabu View Post
    I think Japanese-brand automobiles are much higher quality that American-made. I've worked at both Nissan and Saturn for brief periods - Saturn is definitely a cut above most other US brands, though.
    I don't know about popularity, but I do know that that is simply undeniable fact.

Some things are better left in the darkest places...
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Steam

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

The ending to FMA was not disappointing to me. Neither was the movie.

Sports broadcasts bore me to tears.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

10. - Top - End - #40
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    The ending to FMA was not disappointing to me. Neither was the movie.
    Agreed. It's not like the Manga but the Manga pretty much jumped the shark for me.

My Dad always says that you can tell this by what cars the executives of American car companies drive.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, I still find the manga enjoyable.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

12. - Top - End - #42

My Dad always says that you can tell this by what cars the executives of American car companies drive.
    Hah! Your dad is a funny and correct man.

What are some of my other fun, unpopular opinions?

• Coffee isn't good. Beer isn't good either. I drink both, but it sure as hell will never be for the taste.
    • Mixed drinks can be manly (Irish Carbomb, anyone?)
    • Bleach is Dragonball Z. Doesn't change the fact that I still like it. But hey, I liked Dragonball Z - there's another unpopular opinion!
    • Nightmare Before Christmas was a waste of my time. Saw it for the first time last month.
    • I'll never own an iPod. It's pointless. A jumpdrive/mp3 player has greater utility and holds enough music for me.
    • I've never owned a phone with a camera or music in it. That's what I have cameras and music players for. (Also: Nissan would have burned me at the stake if they caught me with a camera phone - since their factory premises qualify as a foreign trade zone they can 'outlaw' recording devices on the grounds)
    • I like Wal-mart. (in some circles, saying that will get you frickin' CRUCIFIED)

I may just be out of the loop of critics, but I didn't realize that there was a strong group of people who disliked The Matrix. Apart from Neo being Jesus, I thought the series as a whole was good, myself. I can't support the statement about The Last Crusade being the worst Indiana Jones movie though - it had the Connery in it! Oh! There's one more I can part with.

• Timothy Dalton was a good James Bond, and his movies were fun to watch.

...this thread makes me feel like I'm in Confessional! I can say all the bad stuff with no fear of vicious reprisal! My punishment will only come in the afterlife, when I have to face down Saint Peter and Neo Jesus.
    Last edited by TheGreatJabu; 2007-11-15 at 07:31 AM.
    "This man wishes to be accorded the same privilege as a sponge!" - Henry Drummond, Inherit the Wind

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't like comedy anything. Comedy movies are terrible... like Anchorman or any of its 900 clones. I do however like outrageous popculture references (Movies like UHF and shows like FLCL)

14. - Top - End - #44

The Great Gatsby was awful, Mark Twain was awful, Faulkner's Southern stories were awful, Trout Fishing in America was awful, Lord of the Rings was awful, Updike is awful, Pynchon is awful, Saligner is awful, Lolita is the Great American Novel, and Dostoevsky, being sublime in every other way, has *no idea* how to write a book.

I think I might just be allergic to American literature for some reason, though. Although - *points upthread* - I haven't read or liked much of Stephen King's other work (save Misery), but On Writing is just about the wisest book the topic ever published short of Rilke.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

To be clear, before I state my opinions, I do not, DO NOT, mean something is bad when I say it is overrated.

I will be the first person to admit Ocarina of time is overrated, doesn't mean I don't love it to death.

Anime Opinions:

FMA is overrated

Cowboy Bebop is overrated

Dragonball Z is actually fun to watch

Ditty for Yu Yu Hakusho

Movie Opinions:

The Matrix movies were good

300 was good

Daredevil was good

Manga Opinions:

Naruto is still fun to read

Ditto for Bleach

And FMA

Comic Opinion:

Aquaman is an awesome superhero

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Setra View Post
    FMA is overrated
    The problem with saying "over-rated" is that you're not saying anything. From this comment I don't know if you mean that FMA is a crap anime that people are stupid for liking or if you enjoy FMA but prefer G Gundam (to use two extremes).

Anyway, Full Metal Alchemist is 'good', what more do you need than 'good'?
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

17. - Top - End - #47

Aquaman is an awesome superhero
    I disbelieve the illusion!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

The problem with saying "over-rated" is that you're not saying anything. From this comment I don't know if you mean that FMA is a crap anime that people are stupid for liking or if you enjoy FMA but prefer G Gundam (to use two extremes).

Anyway, Full Metal Alchemist is 'good', what more do you need than 'good'?
    Well by overrated I mean, simply put, people give it way too much credit.

It's nowhere near the best anime ever in my opinion.

19. - Top - End - #49

alcohol tastes like ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Blights are halted by the heroic, self-sacrificial actions of a couple of dudes. Throwing them into a land containing the ur-example of the modern pulp fantasy warrior is rather like tossing a sponge in the Pacific and wondering if it'll get wet.

20. - Top - End - #50

Let's see...

- Pro Wresting is awesome. No, it's not real--it doesn't even pretend to be.

- Nine books in, I still throughly enjoy the Wheel of Time series.

- More than the Lord of the Rings.

- The prequel Star Wars Trilogy grew on me. Really.

- Newspaper comics went straight to hell once Bill Waterson and Gary Larson hung up their hats. Peanuts is overrated (but still good).

- Inuyasha, Naruto and Dragonball Z aren't the worst anime ever.

- The majority of Adult Swim programming is completely unfunny.

- Stop wearing Chuck Taylors. I did it first, everyone else is just being trendy.
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't like the Simpsons. The cultural references are too far from my reality and I don't like black humor.

Austin Powers is perhaps the worst movie I've ever attempted to watch, in my opinion. I could not stand to watch even 5 minutes of its horrible "humor".

South Park is not funny for me.

Fullmetal Alchemist had a very decent ending. I could not really see it any other way given the direction the series took.

The Fullmetal Alchemist manga, while it has some things that are very silly, manages to keep a balance between silly and serious and it rather works well for it.

I did not like Tolkien's style of writing. His ideas are absolutely wonderful, but the way he wrote them makes me feel like I'm wading through a text tar pit. It's not advanced in my opinion: it's plain tedious to read.

Da Vinci's Code was actually a good book. Over-rated, yes (it's definitely not "THE BEST BOOK EVER!"), but it's good. I found the pacing to be addicting and it was a pretty decent fiction plot that had the added bonus of allowing controversy.

Magi Nation is actually a good game for the gameboy color.

"Lady in the Water" was actually a very nice movie. It was quite a twist on the idea of fairy tales and it really felt like a modern fairy tale, not like other "modern fairy tales" that I've seen or heard about, like the modern Cinderella or what-have-you.

Mission Impossible 3 was not a very good movie. The ending completely killed all suspension of disbelief and the plot wasn't all that awesome in my opinion either.

22. - Top - End - #52

ClericGirl

Catch - does your newspaper carry Heart of the City? Calvin and Hobbes fans tend to like that one.

Myself, I'm still very sore that Foxtrot was discontinued. But I don't imagine that's an unpopular opinion in these parts.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

23. - Top - End - #53

I don't think Scrubs is funny. Any of it.

24. - Top - End - #54

I enjoyed Eragon and Eldest.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Anime is a horrendous "art form"
    Stephen King is awesome
    Ditto for 300

Drizzt's Adventures are disgustingly over rated. I enjoy them but they aren't worth the hype.

G.R.R Martin and Pratchett is all you ever need to read, ever.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    I enjoyed Eragon and Eldest.
    Me too >.>

27. - Top - End - #57

Me too >.>
    I'll give you first choice, you want to be strung up first or second?

I made the mistake of mentioning that on the Gamefaqs message boards once, barely made it out alive.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    I'll give you first choice, you want to be strung up first or second?

I made the mistake of mentioning that on the Gamefaqs message boards once, barely made it out alive.
    The gamefaqs boards are almost as bad as /b/.

They don't count.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Catch View Post
    - The majority of Adult Swim programming is completely unfunny.
    In agreement there.

another random opinion.

I actually enjoy the really bad, cheesy old xmen comics.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

I disbelieve the illusion!
    You kidding?

Superstrength. Incredable durability. Telepathy. Summonning marine life (Weakest point) Lordship over oceans. Immense mystical knownledge (even if no spellcasting ability)
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !