New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Tale of People & Discovery

Hmm. Oops. Lady Therazen is supposed to be the guy's sister, not his wife!

(Though I suppose this is medieval and that's not necessarily mutually exclusive. )

Just a minor clarification, then: Umajin is unmarried, Therazen is his sister, and Ryazen is actually his mother; the line of succession is egalitarian.

Anyway, I make a lot of jokes about Conquest, but I don't think I'm going to do too much invasion right this second. Building up trade routes and such is more important, and Umajin isn't quite dumb enough to ruin that.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Yes, the Dwarves make for ideal partners.

Though I'll have to work something out with THEChanger, as he has Fish that my people so very very much desire.
    "The cold hard lands,
    They bites our hands,
    They gnaws our feet;
    The rocks and stones
    Are like old bones
    All bare of meat.
    But stream and pool
    Is wet and cool:
    So nice for feet!
    And now we wish
    To catch a fish
    So juicy-sweet!"

@Percy:

Bloodfire is a viscous red liquid that forms naturally in my western deserts; when used properly, a small vial of it can feed a bonfire large enough to roast several oxen at once on it for a week.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey guys, I've got a kingdom idea!
    Eyrecradia, a coalition of three elf tribes: The Moss Elves, Ore Elves, and Gem Elves. They're distrustful of non-elves, and are pagans.
    The Moss elves hail from Caelythe, a "forest" of stalagmites at most a mile high covered in moss at the bottom of a large chasm.
    The capital of Eyrecradia is Sylvania, a town hewn from the stone in the cavern.
    Finally, there's Makarieth, a gem-filled tunnel home to the Gem Elves.
    That's what I've got so far.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    [I]
    @Percy:

Bloodfire is a viscous red liquid that forms naturally in my western deserts; when used properly, a small vial of it can feed a bonfire large enough to roast several oxen at once on it for a week.
    Lovely poem. ^^ Also you my dear have a distressingly fully inbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Eyrecradia, a coalition of three elf tribes: The Moss Elves, Ore Elves, and Gem Elves. They're distrustful of non-elves, and are pagans.
    The Moss elves hail from Caelythe, a "forest" of stalagmites at most a mile high covered in moss at the bottom of a large chasm.
    The capital of Eyrecradia is Sylvania, a town hewn from the stone in the cavern.
    It sound intriguing and we do have a serious shortage of Elves. Though underground does normally spell Dark Elves in this matter, your variations do sound fun and interesting.
    Last edited by Percy; 2014-01-15 at 03:31 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Percy View Post
    I'm afraid I can't take credit - stole it from Tolkien.

Aaaand... Try now?

6. - Top - End - #216

Tell me about it.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Is Silverbit the only player with dwarves who isn't using the dwarf avatar?

8. - Top - End - #218

@Dwarves: Long live the dwarves (and/or people with silver in their usernames!)!

@Traders: I'm happy to trade with anyone who can access underground stuff. I trade in iron, stone and coal, all very useful and at such low prices (I'm going to have to look into that bloodfire stuff; I'm sure we can weaponise it somewhere down the line.)!

@Arkhosia: your Eyrecradian elves sound really cool! I don't think I've ever seen anyone make moss or gem elves before.

I think I'll make a map with the names of all the countries on it, it's a bit confusing to have to go by number all the time. Watch this space.

Edit: Yes Zabbarot, I'm the only non-dwarf avatar here (well, he could be a tall dwarf...). Thank Ceika for that !
    Last edited by Silverbit; 2014-01-15 at 03:30 PM.
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you, good to know. I was wondering what should I do in the first round with me bonus.

Also Morph, why are some borders on the map black dots now? And if I may say this: Sulvan's Summit is not int the Sulvan's Hammer mountains. Sulvan's Summit is the large mountain just above the number 21 on the map.
    Didn't Wombat already answer that? Some borders have been black dots since the beginning, because they're on a part of the map where white wouldn't show up.

Fixed the bit about Sulvan's Summit.

Actually that does present quite an opportunity. In ancient and medieval times many kingdoms had their power based on controlling trade routes. I think that the game should take land in consideration when people are trading.

For example if I wanted to trade with Recaiden, that means our caravans would have to pass through Elemental and BladeofObliviom. This means a lot of things. They could not allow it, which is one thing, we could set up a deal with them to allow it, or simply they could tax our caravans and thus get collateral income. Not just from the tax but from the caravans themselves, who will need to be resupplied during their journeys. Thus a trade route benefits not only the two persons involved, but also those who's lands are part of the trade route as well.
    Exactly so! Though tax is essentially immaterial as there aren't mechanics tied to it, players should keep in mind that not everything is tied to the game mechanics, both to leave them more working room to play with and to make it easier to administrate.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Hmm. Oops. Lady Therazen is supposed to be the guy's sister, not his wife!

(Though I suppose this is medieval and that's not necessarily mutually exclusive. )

Just a minor clarification, then: Umajin is unmarried, Therazen is his sister, and Ryazen is actually his mother; the line of succession is egalitarian.
    Fixed!

Sounds like a plot hook. A good start.

Elves are outrageous. Truly, truly, truly outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Is Silverbit the only player with dwarves who isn't using the dwarf avatar?
    If we had avatarists on board, I'm sure Percy and Silver Ablaze would scurry to get improved ones.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-01-15 at 03:29 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Tell me about it.
    Try now? Should be space.

11. - Top - End - #221

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Didn't Wombat already answer that? Some borders have been black dots since the beginning, because they're on a part of the map where white wouldn't show up.

Fixed the bit about Sulvan's Summit.

Exactly so! Though tax is essentially immaterial as there aren't mechanics tied to it, players should keep in mind that not everything is tied to the game mechanics, both to leave them more working room to play with and to make it easier to administrate.

If we had avatarists on board, I'm sure Percy and Silver Ablaze would scurry to get improved ones.
    1. Yes he did.

2. Aye but there is still something for which you are soooo gonna hate me for this. But the Summit is not the Tallest but the Largest as in circumference. The Hammer has the Tallest mountains. >.< I am sorry... but Dwarves tend to be naggy and I am trying to stay in character... Also need to get drunk now :o... Where's the Mead?!

3. It will make it very interesting to play, I love this part of these games.

4. I want a better Dwarf Avatar!!!!

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Obligatory.

1. Yes he did.

2. Aye but there is still something for which you are soooo gonna hate me for this. But the Summit is not the Tallest but the Largest as in circumference. The Hammer has the Tallest mountains. >.< I am sorry... but Dwarves tend to be naggy and I am trying to stay in character... Also need to get drunk now :o... Where's the Mead?!

3. It will make it very interesting to play, I love this part of these games.

4. I want a better Dwarf Avatar!!!!
    I'll change it then.

I used to have a bottle of mead in my room. Then Christmas happened.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

@Percy:

...Um, C'nor?

In order to cook beef, you need to get it to about 63 degrees celsius before it is considered safe to eat, much less "roasted". Now, "several" is a vague term, and cattle vary significantly in weight, so let's say that you mean five average-sized cattle just to simplify things.

Wikipedia says 753 kilograms, which is good enough for this purpose.

So, you're talking about enough energy to heat about 3765 kilograms of Beef to 63 degrees celsius, in a "small vial". Now, let's say we're starting in a fairly warm environment, like Los Angeles in July: About 28 degree air, which conveniently gives the meat 35 degrees to cover per gram.

Now, one calorie is the amount of energy required to heat one gram of water by one degree celsius, and is equal to 4.2 joules. Beef isn't water, but let's pretend that it is for the sake of argument. Thus, the amount of energy required to cook 3765 kg of beef to 63C from 28C is 131,775 calories, or 553,455 joules, or 553.5 kilojoules.

Now, to put that in perspective, that's about equivalent to the kinetic energy of a 1500 kg object moving at 92 kilometers per hour.

Go ahead and multiply that by however many sets of Oxen you'd be cooking in a week. Also note that I'm assuming no heat loss whatsoever, which is improbable to say the least.

Also remember that this is a "small vial" we're talking about here, with no additional fuel.

EDIT: Actually, I made a really stupid error near the bottom here, because I forgot that I was working with Kilograms rather than Grams. Starting with the "Total Calories" statistic, go ahead and multiply everything by a factor of 1,000. Yeah. So that's actually 553 megajoules, which is about the same total amount of energy that you would get out of 3.5 gallons of crude oil.

0.o
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2014-01-15 at 03:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224

DwarfFighterGuy

Obligatory.

I'll change it then.

I used to have a bottle of mead in my room. Then Christmas happened.
    Haha, yes indeed he has...

And thank you for putting up with me crazy beard. I actually do have a beard irl, hence the Dwarven love...

@Underground Folks: I just got an interesting idea, completely original and not by any means copied from Dragon Age. Would anyone who makes their living in the Underground and even some of those on the Surface, be willing to work together and establish an underground highway? It would shorten travel times for caravans by a lot!

If you want more details I could make quite a detailed case for it. And for peaceful trading in general no matter its medium, land, sea or underground.
    Last edited by Percy; 2014-01-15 at 03:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225

I'd be down for that. It might take a few turns, but if we all contribute at least one Curiosity action a 5-year period it should be built.

Edit: behold, the (not very well done at all) map with names on! I didn't do a very good job at cropping this; the app I was using threw a bit of a wobbly. Anyway, if you can zoom in, it should be alright.

Big image:
    Spoiler
    Show

Edit again:
    Yeah, that's terrible. Ah well, it's mildly useful as a reference.
    Last edited by Silverbit; 2014-01-15 at 04:06 PM.

Show

16. - Top - End - #226

Depending on how far south the thing stretches, I would be willing to contribute. The city of Hrathan proper is mostly underground, after all.

Also, if areas 25 and 26 are not claimed, would they be up for grabs? I like islands (Although with alliances and this underground stuff I think I'll be busy for a while).

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm also planning on making roads. And bridges. Mostly everywhere. That's what we Lyradisians do!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

18. - Top - End - #228
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Anyone willing to mine towards my kingdom, talk to me, i might consider an alliance!

19. - Top - End - #229

DwarfFighterGuy

The way I am thinking of this in my head is that the Underway (the Underground Highway) could be stretched to the center of every province thus allowing an entire underground network of safe and efficient trade routes. Not to mention that these trade routes would not be afflicted at all by climate change or seasons. Nor by any surface anomalies or raids, thus making the investment in trading caravans through the Underway much safer.

However because this will quite a mouthful to achieve, it is only fair that if a Nation wants to link one of its provinces to the Underway, for it to contribute to its expansion in that direction. While that Nation would not have to do the digging and securing the stability of the Underway towards its province, it will have to provide the necessary resources to those who will. Either way, it is left to each Nation to decide how it wants to contribute so it can later profit.

I also suggest that the Underway be built in such a manner that it would not allow army movement through it. Maintaining the Underway neutral would be vital for economic prosperity world wide.
    Last edited by Percy; 2014-01-15 at 04:16 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Please add me to the waiting list, I would love to be involved.

I do, however, have another idea. That would be to create something like a Knights Templar or HJospitalier associated with the Lord of Fire. I would run the head of the order. We don’t have a kingdom, but are associated with the Lord of Fire, and so any region where that is accepted may have our presence.
    For terrain, I would list three major centers of worship
    People- who become knights

Resources- what the centers do.
    Military- have to indicate where it is located, allowing it to split to ½ a point. If it is located in a land being attacked, the defender (provided we are on good terms) would add that ½ point- essentially making it a tie-breaker.
    It could be fun to negotiate with rules to expand our holdings, or increase / reduce our presence, or go into new land (of others) to spread the faith.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

@Underground Folks: I just got an interesting idea, completely original and not by any means copied from Dragon Age. Would anyone who makes their living in the Underground and even some of those on the Surface, be willing to work together and establish an underground highway? It would shorten travel times for caravans by a lot!

If you want more details I could make quite a detailed case for it. And for peaceful trading in general no matter its medium, land, sea or underground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbit View Post
    I'd be down for that. It might take a few turns, but if we all contribute at least one Curiosity action a 5-year period it should be built.
    It'd certainly fall under the Big Projects thing, especially for those parts where you need to actively mine to make good roads. All participants spending one action per turn on it over the course of five rounds would make it complete, but it would prove to be very handy and no doubt lucrative for the underground nations and their trading partners.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    Depending on how far south the thing stretches, I would be willing to contribute. The city of Hrathan proper is mostly underground, after all.

Also, if areas 25 and 26 are not claimed, would they be up for grabs? I like islands (Although with alliances and this underground stuff I think I'll be busy for a while).
    Regions 25 and 26 are reserved for former Conquest players, one of whom said he might join if there were islands. If they aren't claimed in due time, they will be opened up or become NPC nations that you can do with what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I'm also planning on making roads. And bridges. Mostly everywhere. That's what we Lyradisians do!
    Do they talk a lot?

(Context: In Dutch there is a saying: "Praten als Brugman." Literally translated it's "Talk like Bridgeman." It means to talk a lot, fast, and well.)

22. - Top - End - #232

I was more joking around.

Eyrecradia
    Region 5B
    Terrain:
    Eyrecradia consists of various caverns connected by tunnels.
    The capital of Eyrecradia is the Ore Elves' home of Sylvania, a city hewn from a spacious cavern. The back wall of the 3 walled cave (the 4th wall is the only one with an entrance) has hewn from it a large, ornate temple with shrines to the various gods they worship. This is also the home of the ruler, the High Cleric, also known as the Pretoria or Praetorius. Yes, Eyrecradia is a theocracy.
    Another location is Caelythe, a "forest" of stalagmites covered in moss and various mushrooms home to the Moss Elves. Caelythe's most notable feature is the moss canopy above the Moss Elves reside on.
    The final location is Makarieth, a gem-filled tunnel complex home to the Gem Elves, who also live in homes hewn from the rock walls.

People

There are 3 races: the Gem Elves, with dark grey or obsidian skin, diamond emerald, lapis lazuli, topaz, opal, ruby, or amethyst-colored eyes and hair, who are extremely hardy; Ore Elves, with stone-grey skin, copper, electrum, cobalt, brass, bronze, or iron-colored eyes, and metal-colored hair that are renowned for their versatility, and the Moss Elves, with pale grey skin, green eyes, and beige, green, white, or red hair and bioluminescent blood known for their exceptional weaving, navigation, and scouting skills

Resources:

Mushrooms, moss, and precious metals

Imports:
    Wood, meat, water, fruit, vegetables, and leather (lighter than hide and easier to use).

Religion:
    Pagan animist.

Current Ruler:
    Arkho'sarra Turath.
    Spoiler: Family Tree
    Show
    Arkho'sarra, moss elf (31)

Diplomacy: 5
    Military: 3
    Curiosity: 2
    Faith: 3
    Luck: 4
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2014-01-19 at 08:05 PM.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    I'm interested in this. I've not got long before I go out, though, so I'll have to post more later.
    Currently the choices are limited. This is because not all countries have been fluffed out yet, and I don't want to see regions end up claimed but nothing done with them.

You'll have to contact one of the players in the mountain regions (see the map for where the mountains are) to ask if you can have an underground kingdom in that area.
    I have sent a PM to Logic about a possible underground nation, but until I receive a response I don't really want to write it all up.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

24. - Top - End - #234

You win the game instantly.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

25. - Top - End - #235

@Arkhosia: ooh, elves that aren't cliched! Is this even possible !

Could there be a connection between your Ore Elves and my Rezdissi dwarves? They look rather similar. Something to ponder.

Show

26. - Top - End - #236

So, I've got a couple of questions. First, if I form a Great Kingdom/Empire, and I have various other vassal rulers under me, do I get more actions per turn(or rather, does each ruler/vassal get their own five?) or is it additional rather than multiplicitive? And, can we create trade agreements before the game begins?

27. - Top - End - #237

@Arkhosia: ooh, elves that aren't cliched! Is this even possible !

Could there be a connection between your Ore Elves and my Rezdissi dwarves? They look rather similar. Something to ponder.
    *bows*
    Thanks and sure!
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2014-01-15 at 04:40 PM.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

28. - Top - End - #238

I was thinking maybe some crossbreeding between normal dwarves and Ore elves to create my grey skinned, slightly taller mineral-related dwarves. It'd be a cool thing for the history books.

Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

A few concerns I have with a network of tunnels is the possibility of a few things:

1. Assassins, swat teams and spys. They would easily get around without hibition.

2. Small towns, villages and such. Many of these places rely heavily on traders going through, and the removal of such creates a disparity that will make many of these types of places to fail. And while some of you may be able to subsist on that, most of my small towns and places are in place for a reason.

3. What does a tunnel accomplish that a road will much more easily as well? If I'm hearing you all correctly, any such country that is willing to have the tunnel system must also be willing to accommodate the project. Well, what if a region that desires the system to connect them is cut off by a country that isn't? Dig through anyway? That's a good way to start a war.

4. Sabatoge. Tunnels are easy to collapse, especially with the existance of things like Bloodfire, and such, things could go down fast. If the tunnel is wide enough for it not to be an issue, its wide enough to accomidate a small army. If it isn't, it isn't worth it to make the effort.

5. Upkeep. The amount of people needed to patrol these tunnels, the condition of lands, the constant fluctuations of power...lighting, monsters, disasters...
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-01-15 at 04:47 PM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

30. - Top - End - #240

I was thinking maybe some crossbreeding between normal dwarves and Ore elves to create my grey skinned, slightly taller mineral-related dwarves. It'd be a cool thing for the history books.
    I'm okay with that!
    Maybe it was with a clan that had been separated with their kin?
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show