New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

frown Tired all the time

Normally, I have horrible insomnia. It's been this way for years - I can't sleep even when I try, and some nights I'm awake all night. Chronic migraines don't help.

but after moving in with a friend a few weeks ago, I can't seem to get up - I turn off my alarm clock without realizing it, I start feeling tired again after only two or three hours of wakefulness, and my sleep schedule has shattered into a million sharp, pointy pieces.

I'm starting to worry this may have bigger cause. Does anybody have any input for me?
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Tired all the time

Your friend may be drugging you.
    ____

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    Chronic migraines
    As someone who gets terrible migranes periodically, I think I found your problem.
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2011-03-17 at 08:14 PM.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Being in a new, relatively unfamiliar place will do that to you. Your sleep will not be as restful as when you're in a well-known place.

You could also be unfamiliar with the ambient noises of your new living area. I used to live within spitting distance of a busy highway; when my family first moved there, I couldn't sleep well for weeks because the sound of the traffic kept waking me up. Later, when I moved away to a more quiet area, I couldn't sleep because the lack of the traffic noises was unsettling.

My point is, there could be many causes for your new sleeping problems. It's pretty much impossible to give you a clear answer with so little information.
    My forum avatars appear to have decomposed in my absence. C'est la vie.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Could be any number of things.

When I was in high school, I was tired all the time, to the point of taking naps during the SAT and AP exams.

Turns out I had obstructive sleep apnea and with CPAP treatment, it's much, much better now.

If you have the insurance, you can talk to a sleep physician to see if it's something physically wrong with you.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I slept for about 23 hours a day. I would take a nap on the couch, wake up, move to a chair, then fall asleep again. You might want to have your blood sugar tested. Of course, I do say that about everything.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    Before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I slept for about 23 hours a day. I would take a nap on the couch, wake up, move to a chair, then fall asleep again. You might want to have your blood sugar tested. Of course, I do say that about everything.
    No, you're right. Diabetes and anemia are some of the most common causes of being tired all the time. Other ones are lack of any exercise (even if it's just walking around to places), chlamydia or simply really bad sleep itself (i.e. little or no REM).
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

From the ones said here, The most likely causes then are lack of exercise and lack of REM. I'm not worried about my blood sugar, as the friend I'm staying with stops at seven eleven on his way back from work every second day or so, so I'm getting no lack of sugar. I'll see about getting my blood sugar tested though, and another friend may be able to hook me up for learning about sleep apnea, so maybe that's it.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. Guess I'm going to go put those into practice now

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

From the ones said here, The most likely causes then are lack of exercise and lack of REM. I'm not worried about my blood sugar, as the friend I'm staying with stops at seven eleven on his way back from work every second day or so, so I'm getting no lack of sugar. I'll see about getting my blood sugar tested though, and another friend may be able to hook me up for learning about sleep apnea, so maybe that's it.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. Guess I'm going to go put those into practice now
    The problem wouldn't be a lack of sugar (although that can be an issue). The problem in my case was sugar that wasn't being countered by insulin (too much sugar). You have symptoms when you have too much or too little sugar, to grossly oversimplify it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thumbs up Re: Tired all the time

Good man. That's a good start.

11. - Top - End - #11

Have you been consuming any mysterious pills lying around?
    True story: My Boy's friend saw some tablets belonging to his mother, and thought - somehow - that they were vitamins. It said to just take a couple a day, but he was all "Pffft, I wanna be strong and healthy!" and took half a dozen or more a day. All of a sudden, he just couldn't wake up. He was sleepy all the time, and kept having naps.
    Turns out these "vitamins" were a sleeping aide (like a mild sleeping tablet of some sort). His mother called him a moron.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

hehe, no I haven't been taking any pills of any kind whatsoever, except for the vitamin C tablets I take, since my stomach can't handle citrus. I've always been wary of medications because my brother has a lot of health problems, so I try to make damn sure what I'm taking before I take it

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

He's lucky to be called a moron by his mum; an overdose of sedating medication can potentially result in death.
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think in any case your best option is to consult a medical professional, if you can. I personally don’t really trust doctors but you should be careful self diagnosing yourself sometimes two entirely different conditions have more or less the same symptoms. Hope you get well soon!

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Amiel View Post
    He's lucky to be called a moron by his mum; an overdose of sedating medication can potentially result in death.
    I think it was more along the lines of "natural" sleep aid than proper sleeping tablets, but yeah.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would see a doctor, it could just be it's easier to sleep there for some reason and your body is making up what it can of your standing sleep deficit but there are quite a few, some rather serious, medical conditions that could be causing this as well.

Is anything else weird going on with you?
    Last edited by Toofey; 2011-03-17 at 11:14 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toofey View Post
    Is anything else weird going on with you?
    Not that I can tell, beyond being unemployed. The room is so warm and nice though. Well, except for the floor. That's damned cold, but I'm not exactly in contact with that when I'm sleeping. Anyways, I can't really see anything I'm doing as out of the ordinary from previous actions, and even the warm room bit has been done before with no different effect

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I think it was more along the lines of "natural" sleep aid than proper sleeping tablets, but yeah.
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but Cyanide is natural.

If the big change happened when you moved, (not a month or two after or before), it may be an environmental thing. Have you tried opening a window in your room at night: Fresh air can do wonders if it's a problem of fungus, chemical agents (counting cleaning fluids here), mice (they do... excrete), or poor ventilation.

And I will not accept "but it's cold" as an excuse. That's what blankets are for. I sleep in the buff with windows open in subzero temperatures.
    Last edited by golentan; 2011-03-17 at 11:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    And I will not accept "but it's cold" as an excuse. That's what blankets are for. I sleep in the buff with windows open in subzero temperatures.
    I'll try that tonight then. I have been sleeping with the window closed, and I spend a lot of time in here. and yes, I only moved here about a month ago

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but Cyanide is natural.
    I said "natural", not natural.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I'm just saying that the common side effects of sleep aids are related to how they almost always work, rather than their origin. Unless they're placeboshomeopathic, an overdose on a sleeping pill is an overdose on a sleeping pill regardless of how the bottle's labeled.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

22. - Top - End - #22

*le sigh*
    My point is, I think what he took is to sleeping tablets what, say, echinacea is to cold & flu medicine. It'll do something, but not nearly to the same degree. No doubt it's still possible to overdose, but it takes a lot more effort.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2011-03-17 at 11:54 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

I'm not worried about my blood sugar, as the friend I'm staying with stops at seven eleven on his way back from work every second day or so, so I'm getting no lack of sugar. I'll see about getting my blood sugar tested though, and another friend may be able to hook me up for learning about sleep apnea, so maybe that's it.
    Consuming a lot of sugar means squat if you turn out to have a condition that prevents your body from properly processing it. Sometimes you can have underlying conditions you didn't know about so it's good to get tested now and then.
    Last edited by MoelVermillion; 2011-03-18 at 12:02 AM.
    Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Prime32 for the awesome Noel Vermillion avatar.

24. - Top - End - #24

What's your stress level like? If you've just moved, unemployment is recent or becoming an important issue, etc. your body could be reacting to the change in stress. You could suffer from either insomnia or needing excessive sleep as a result of stress.

Two other medical reasons you could be needing so much sleep- hypoglycemia or hypothyroidism. Migraines and needing lots of sleep are both symptoms of hypoglycemia, and lack of energy (along with a slow metabolism) is a potential symptom of hypothyroidism.

Both of these are hard to diagnose correctly without medical tests, so one more bit of incentive to talk to your doctor about it.
    I drive a quantum car- every time I look down at the speedometer, I get lost.

As a juggler, I may not always be smarter than a banana. However, bananas aren't often surrounded by children asking for hugs and autographs.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrion View Post
    What's your stress level like? If you've just moved, unemployment is recent or becoming an important issue, etc. your body could be reacting to the change in stress. You could suffer from either insomnia or needing excessive sleep as a result of stress.

Two other medical reasons you could be needing so much sleep- hypoglycemia or hypothyroidism. Migraines and needing lots of sleep are both symptoms of hypoglycemia, and lack of energy (along with a slow metabolism) is a potential symptom of hypothyroidism.

Both of these are hard to diagnose correctly without medical tests, so one more bit of incentive to talk to your doctor about it.
    As far as my stress level goes, it's been fairly stationary my entire life - either I have a high stress level that I've had for such a long time I don't notice it anymore (unlikely), or I'm such a laid back person that stress doesn't come into the equation often enough for me to notice. If it has any relevance, I have Aspergers. Maybe that contributes somehow

Also, none of my family has any history of those two medical problems, so it's unlikely, but something to get checked out - thank you for mentioning them.

I had no idea that there were so many causes for migraines and sleep problems

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I'm gonna jump on the "lack of exercise" bandwagon. Seriously, try going for a walk. Sedetary life is bad for you. It sounds wierd, but doing nothing is exhausting, and not in a good way. Back when I used to play WoW, I used to be tired a lot just from sitting there and playing all day, and not even doing stuff, just hanging out in town and chatting. When I quit, I started getting more active, and I've found that I'm tired at the proper time (when I want to go to sleep), and awake and alert most of the rest of the time. Its seriously so much better.

Peruse through Deth Muncher's thread for inspiration on things to do to get your active level up. Don't start too crazy, just try going for a 30 minute walk for no reason that to walk around. It'll be good for you!

Also, do you take a multivitamin? You mentioned Vit C suppliments. You might want to look into a multi that has a full range of Bs, along with your essential metals like Zinc and Magnesium. B6 and B12 stimulate natural energy production, while a lot of the other goodies in a multi regulate various body processes that are vital to well being. If you aren't eating healthy (and by healthy, I mean 4+ servings of green veggies and 5+ servings of whole grains per day), a multivitamin is the 2nd best thing you can do for your body, aside from eating right, and probably the easiest and cheapest as well. A 90 day supply of my multi costs me about $25. Thats like, $8 a month. You probably spend more than that at the 7-11 your friend stops at in a week.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2011-03-18 at 10:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

Another thing can be diet.

Getting plenty of "fresh"* fruit/veg? I had a week of feeling really tired and when I thought about it - not a single portion of fruit/veg for several days. Soon as I started eating properly again I was ok.

Dehydration can also cause you to feel tired.

<edit>
    Ninjad.
    Vitamin B complex supplements are a good idea.

* dried, canned, discombobulated and all the other ways that count
    Last edited by Phishfood; 2011-03-18 at 10:13 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, canned or frozen veggies are better than no veggies at all. Granted, food processing takes a fair bit of the nutritional content out of it, but some is better than none.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

I am going to advise you to see a doctor.

Likely, it is 'just' a bought of depression brought about by the move, exacerbated by any number of factors. Change in DST, not getting as much light in your room in the morning, Insomnia catching up with you, not eating 5-9 fruits and veges a day, not exercising 30 minutes 3 times a week, any other stress in your life, And believe me, I have been pretty frickin' depressed when I had to go through my own boughts of unemployment, so I would lay odds on that stress being a good amount of the cause.

However, The 'just', is that as horrible, devastating and problematic as depression is, it can be treated, and will sometimes resolve on it's own. But because you have had a sudden change in sleepiness/fatigue/etc, it could also be other more major issues that would be better caught now, rather than later.

So though it might be a bit of a hit to the pocket book, I'd make an appointment with a primary care doc and see if anything is up.

I am currently concentrating on RL stuffs. If you need me PM me.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to add my voice to those saying to see a doctor. It is a symptom, it's a problem, and that's what doctors are there to fix! You can get good advice from them on diet, exercise and dietary supplements, and get the peace of mind that it isn't anything more than the move that's causing it.

Otherwise, I'd say get out in the fresh air and get your heart rate raised. Don't wait for your friend to go to the 7-11, jog down to a corner shop or something instead. Don't drive to wherever it is you go, try walking there, if it's possible.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me