New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Fresh Prince's Daily Draw Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAquilaDei View Post
    Are you trying to antagonize me into working harder?
    He does that. And it's actually more effective than I'd care to admit.

I deserve this, really. Yeah, there are a lot of threads dangling. As I've already said, I'm drawing a series of eight pictures, and allowing myself to get distracted by other things while doing so. I'm going to finish all eight sketches before starting colouring any of them. This is in part because I intended to use these pictures to test out Paint tool SAI and I wanted to make the most out of the free trial (I can't buy it any time soon, as I don't have a proper personal computer t install it on anymore and probably wont have for a while).
    My few remaining grievances with SAI vanished once I figured out how to install custom brushes, now as far as I'm concerned it's the program I'm going to spend the next two or more years with. Good luck acquiring a proper PC!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    He does that. And it's actually more effective than I'd care to admit.
    Like it could ever not work on me, it requires no skill at all.

My few remaining grievances with SAI vanished once I figured out how to install custom brushes, now as far as I'm concerned it's the program I'm going to spend the next two or more years with. Good luck acquiring a proper PC!
    Oooh, that's one nice endorsement. And thanks.

Alright, so yesterday i did nothing but move a few lines around on a few sketches you've already seen, today...

...is slightly better.

Day 148

Frost

and

Clockwork

3. - Top - End - #243
    Orc in the Playground

Day 149

Light

You might remember the doodle a while back.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Orc in the Playground

Day 150

Faces looking upwards.

Me studying faces at length is still a thing that needs to happen. Also necks. Necks are important and I draw them much too long.

EDIT: Pardon the lack of updates on day 151 and 152.

I've hit some life and the next three weeks are going to be a little bumpy. I have been drawing some, but it's nothing very presentable. Hopefully I'll have something to show you tomorrow.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-06-15 at 05:26 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Orc in the Playground

Day 153 and 154

Frogs

Does not actually contain frogs.

(She isn't actually barefoot but it isn't worth it to draw her shoes because the water will be quite opaque)

I might add more birds.

Pardon the lack of updates. These last few days' work hasen't felt worth turning the scanner on for. As I said, I will have little time to draw in the upcoming three weeks and I don't feel like wasting anyone's time with my ten minute scrawls (one of the people whose time is being wasted is me, after all). So expect a handful of updates and then I'll resume as normal around the sixth of July.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Orc in the Playground

Guess who has two thumbs and isn't dead yet?

You! Yes you, reading this!

I'm sorry if you don't actually have two thumbs, it was wrong of me to assume.

Alright so I haven't been drawing absurdly much but all eight Medium sketches are now done. So, Whooo, yeah! Let's do a celebratory compilation post. I'll post them in the right order and everything.

Day 155-176(?) (I'm pretty sure it has been three weeks)

Light

You have already seen this one, so, nothing earthshattering here. As said before, I'll play some with light, water and clouds here.

Shade

This one gave me a lot of trouble and I think I've redrawn her face at least half a dozen times. It is quite heavily revised since you last saw it, hopefully you'll find it as much an improvement as I do. An attempt to tell a story with a picture.

Rain

Slightly edited, but I wouldn't judge you for not noticing the changes since they are tiny. Eventually, I will try to depict rain and water here (And trees, I guess).

Frogs

Not edited since last you saw it. Water, birds and faces at angles.

Frost

Not edited since last you saw it. In which I will eventually tackle reflections, as well as a starry sky.

Clockwork

Not edited since last you saw it. Heavy machinery, and patterned cloth.

Heat

Minute edits, I guess you could play spot the differences. Nothing mindblowing, just some foreshortening.

Wind

And a new one, woohoo! Basically light beta, more clouds, faces at angles and light.

So, since I wont install Paint tool SAI until in five or six days, I would very much like to hear any of your nitpicks so I can correct things in the meantime.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-07-01 at 08:24 AM.

7. - Top - End - #247

Guess who has two thumbs and isn't dead yet?

You! Yes you, reading this!
    Hurray! I was getting worried because everyone else who's ever took a swing at my challenge has failed before hitting day 200.

It's been making me think that I might be inherently awesome after all. And you don't want a Thanqol who is convinced that he is better than you in a way that you can't even compete with.
    Shade

This one gave me a lot of trouble and I think I've redrawn her face at least half a dozen times. It is quite heavily revised since you last saw it, hopefully you'll find it as much an improvement as I do. An attempt to tell a story with a picture.
    I like this but I think that jowl-cheek-line-thingy is slightly off.
    Rain

Slightly edited, but I wouldn't judge you for not noticing the changes since they are tiny. Eventually, I will try to depict rain and water here (And trees, I guess).
    I really like her mane.

Frogs

Not edited since last you saw it. Water, birds and faces at angles.
    I do really like this. As a thing.

Frost

Not edited since last you saw it. In which I will eventually tackle reflections, as well as a starry sky.
    Malevolent! I do like this even if I have no idea what that background thing is. An aqueduct over a submarine? Also, is he gripping a pillow?

Clockwork

Not edited since last you saw it. Heavy machinery, and patterned cloth.
    Feel like her feet should be slightly splayed outwards more. That inward facing thing is unstable and bad for your knees.

Heat

Minute edits, I guess you could play spot the differences. Nothing mindblowing, just some foreshortening.
    Cool cool.

Wind

And a new one, woohoo! Basically light beta, more clouds, faces at angles and light.
    Maybe imagination, but not enough flank? Lips are a bit feminine if it's a boy.

So, since I wont install Paint tool SAI until in five or six days, I would very much like to hear any of your nitpicks so I can correct things in the meantime.
    Good luck with SAI!

8. - Top - End - #248
    Orc in the Playground

Bwuh? Ah, I thought you had already gone to bed, happy surprises!

Hurray! I was getting worried because everyone else who's ever took a swing at my challenge has failed before hitting day 200.

It's been making me think that I might be inherently awesome after all. And you don't want a Thanqol who is convinced that he is better than you in a way that you can't even compete with.
    Personal goal is to make 731 days./secret (Maybe I'll even succeed in updating daily again, who knows)

I like this but I think that jowl-cheek-line-thingy is slightly off.
    Possibly, I might have exaggerated it.

I really like her mane.
    He is back, by popular demand!

I do really like this. As a thing.
    Woohoo!

Malevolent! I do like this even if I have no idea what that background thing is. An aqueduct over a submarine? Also, is he gripping a pillow?
    It is a submarine. He is clutching a captain's cap. Hmm, hopefully it'll show better in colour.

Feel like her feet should be slightly splayed outwards more. That inward facing thing is unstable and bad for your knees.
    Really? You learn something new every day.

Maybe imagination, but not enough flank? Lips are a bit feminine if it's a boy.
    Possibly, but I was actually going for a unusually thin frame in this one. And yes, it is a boy, so I might change the lips.

Good luck with SAI!
    Yup. If this doesn't work I'll either try Domo's suggestion or just bust out the watercolours.

9. - Top - End - #249

Bwuh? Ah, I thought you had already gone to bed, happy surprises!
    Normally, yes. But tonight? Tonight I finished Driver: San Francisco (Excellent) and am deliberately trying to exhaust myself because I write better when I'm tired (idiotic)

Personal goal is to make 731 days./secret (Maybe I'll even succeed in updating daily again, who knows)
    My own personal goal is 10,000 days. I love the sound of it in my head. Then, I shall have succeeded.

Yup. If this doesn't work I'll either try Domo's suggestion or just bust out the watercolours.
    How do you define 'not work'? Because I know the program works. The program can produce things like this. It's a question of how much you master it.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

Normally, yes. But tonight? Tonight I finished Driver: San Francisco (Excellent) and am deliberately trying to exhaust myself because I write better when I'm tired (idiotic)
    Aha.

My own personal goal is 10,000 days. I love the sound of it in my head. Then, I shall have succeeded.
    What, not even twenty eight years? What shameless underachievement.

How do you define 'not work'? Because I know the program works. The program can produce things like this. It's a question of how much you master it.
    You know I drew digitally using Gimp earlier. My computer broke more than a month ago. The very next day I install Gimp on my brother's computer. It is a new version. Everything that was accessible and obvious is gone. Basic functions can't be found. Options and sliders are for show only, fixed in their positions with no means of adjustment. And the stupidity of my efforts only make matters worse. Obnoxious. Obtuse. Worthless. Completely unsalvageable. Did not work.

11. - Top - End - #251

im in ur thread

stealin ur linework

12. - Top - End - #252
    Orc in the Playground

I could get used to this kind of theft. This has my approval.

Just a couple more days now until I start updating properly again.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Banned

Oh man. Ok.

I got through three pictures before I burnt out. I'm
    Sorry. I'm just not in a do anything except be silly or physically assault things kinda mood.

First one, hands. Top right hand, looks about right but the hand itself looks like it should be juuuuust slightly up an to the left. The top left hand looks wavy; having seen all the weird stuff my hand can do when I look at it funny, I'm not surprised. All In all, pretty good. So you recall where the bones in the hand are? Is this knowledge represented in the hand picture?

Second, dudes at a fire. Better than me so no comment. ;P

-

Tect told me
    You were lookin' for me. If it is time sensitive, try PMs, I have an almost empty inbox. It's currently full of nothing but thanqol's words and my broken dreams. Sorry, Fujiwara...

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Oh man. Ok.

I got through three pictures before I burnt out. I'm
    Sorry. I'm just not in a do anything except be silly or physically assault things kinda mood.

First one, hands. Top right hand, looks about right but the hand itself looks like it should be juuuuust slightly up an to the left. The top left hand looks wavy; having seen all the weird stuff my hand can do when I look at it funny, I'm not surprised. All In all, pretty good. So you recall where the bones in the hand are? Is this knowledge represented in the hand picture?

Second, dudes at a fire. Better than me so no comment. ;P
    D: I'm sorry SiuiS, I should have realised. I did not pay specific attention to the bones, I was just trying to draw my own hand.

Tect told me
    You were lookin' for me. If it is time sensitive, try PMs, I have an almost empty inbox. It's currently full of nothing but thanqol's words and my broken dreams. Sorry, Fujiwara...
    Not very time sensitive, I can wait. I would very much like your opinions on the Medium sketches. You can find them all in this specific post higher up on this page. Tect probably forgot what I said I wanted your opinion on, I can't fault him.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-07-07 at 03:45 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, tried out SAI. It is a net upgrade but there are a few things I still have to get comfortable with. So, brief detour, I drew a couple of way overdue cartoons for Grif and Tectonic, which took a bit longer than it had any right to. Turns out it takes two small horses and a dog to regain your groove.

Day 177-184

For Grif

and

For Tectonic

Now to start colouring Light.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-07-09 at 06:32 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Banned

Light
    Initially, love it.
    The net looks like a dress or garment of some sort. There's a faint corona of clear air about the head which, in line with the descending guide lines (which I expect would be light?) does a damn fine job of guiding the eye. Everything from the boobs up is dynamic and gorgeous, though when I zoom in the right hand gets a bit wonky.

The left leg looks odd to me, but I'm starting to think that may be a base difference in our preferred rendering of structure. There's nothing wrong with the legs - hay, a lot I envy - but they aren't how I would do them. Or could do them. Lot of trouble, legs.

The background and landscape are also really good. The cliff, the house, the birds the clouds, the sea... Celestia, the Sea! I'm envious.

Shade
    Quite the switch. Everything from the breasts down I want to dissect. The legs are just so, the hands look fantastic. The top hand seems like it is too flat but color could fix that. It's a matter of depth as much as position.

The room. The layout, I admire your composition. Spartan and functional. Not sparse, but not excessive. The piano, *the painting. Marvelous. The stool looks like it put up a fight.

The window is rather plain, but that seems intentional? Drawing the eye where it needs to go. The face gave you trouble, you said. I think it was less the face and more framing. The shoulders, the next and head are in the wrong positions, and it throws off the composition. The face and hair look good to me, but I know how unsatisfying real faces are, with their lines and wrinkles. There's something to be said for life drawing. We can't all be models.

Rain
    Looked silly until the trees on the right resolved themselves. Nice depth.

The right leg is too long. The knee is too low to the ground, and throws off the balance below a bit. May have been stylistic, as sometimes one changes small details to avoid conflict with other small details; I think the proper knee would be too close to the cane? You work with a lot of open space, so the cane may have muddled the issue.

And I can't help but think I'm checking out a guy, which makes me sheepish

17. - Top - End - #257

And the long silence, in which you are unsure if someone you once knew on the Internet is dead or just playing WoW.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

I call WoW, then. You are failing us, Aki. Do you want to fail the Joker?
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

19. - Top - End - #259
    Orc in the Playground

And the long silence, in which you are unsure if someone you once knew on the Internet is dead or just playing WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    I call WoW, then. You are failing us, Aki. Do you want to fail the Joker?
    Again with the insults to my taste.

I will proceed to ramble defensively and incoherently now.

I'm sincerely sorry, to the both of you and anyone else reading this. Between a two week vacation abroad, Europa Universalis, a surprise two day stay at the hospital and a general lack of will to update here, I got more silent here than was fashionable. Sorry for leaving you hanging.

Curiously, drawing daily has by now become second nature but I don't feel that way about putting the drawings here afterwards. Presenting the work here doesn't really feel comfortable anymore since there has been a decline both in the quality and quantity of the scrawls produced.

I was getting really sick of myself not finishing the Medium series. Being a melodramatic douche I've been kind of considering simply not updating til it's done, but that will probably take a preposterous amount of time.

Light is finished since three weeks ago, for the record, and I just haven't broght myself to upload it and I'm honestly not sure why.

(Siuis, thanks a million for the criticism. I will respond to it in full at a later point and would very much like to hear your opinion on the rest.)

20. - Top - End - #260

Again with the insults to my taste.

I will proceed to ramble defensively and incoherently now.

I'm sincerely sorry, to the both of you and anyone else reading this. Between a two week vacation abroad, Europa Universalis, a surprise two day stay at the hospital and a general lack of will to update here, I got more silent here than was fashionable. Sorry for leaving you hanging.

Curiously, drawing daily has by now become second nature but I don't feel that way about putting the drawings here afterwards. Presenting the work here doesn't really feel comfortable anymore since there has been a decline both in the quality and quantity of the scrawls produced.
    I went through that period recently. A perceived decline leads to less and less effort going in which forms a self-sustaining cycle. Persisted more or less from Day 400 to 440.

Honestly, it's got the same fix as writing: If you don't challenge yourself and don't do new things then it won't be fun. Do the things you want to do; do the crazy experiments or splashes of colour that are still way beyond you but are fun anyway. Draw something funny!

Be passionate about what you do, whatever you do.

I was getting really sick of myself not finishing the Medium series. Being a melodramatic douche I've been kind of considering simply not updating til it's done, but that will probably take a preposterous amount of time.

Light is finished since three weeks ago, for the record, and I just haven't broght myself to upload it and I'm honestly not sure why.

(Siuis, thanks a million for the criticism. I will respond to it in full at a later point and would very much like to hear your opinion on the rest.)
    Join the ATG; ponies, daily themes, and deadlines. It's got me to get off my ass and produce four fully coloured and backgrounded pictures in a row.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

I can't help but notice that you haven't done much art in the last 4 days. 'sup?
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

22. - Top - End - #262
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    I can't help but notice that you haven't done much art in the last 4 days. 'sup?
    OH FINE, MUM You know I love you Domo.

Yeah, I should. Let's try doing this again.

Day 185-I-don't-even-care (the fifteenth of January will be day number 367, we can start counting again then)

So just a quickie today.

If I go missing without explanation for more than two days again just challenge/insult/plead/lure/guilt/shame me out of hiding, please.

Do you guys want to see the things I was drawing while I was being obtuse and silent?

I went through that period recently. A perceived decline leads to less and less effort going in which forms a self-sustaining cycle. Persisted more or less from Day 400 to 440.

Honestly, it's got the same fix as writing: If you don't challenge yourself and don't do new things then it won't be fun. Do the things you want to do; do the crazy experiments or splashes of colour that are still way beyond you but are fun anyway. Draw something funny!

Be passionate about what you do, whatever you do.
    I think I lost what little I gained in anatomy so I want to focus on that (or at least as focused as it gets in here). But I'll throw in something or other else too.

Join the ATG; ponies, daily themes, and deadlines. It's got me to get off my ass and produce four fully coloured and backgrounded pictures in a row.
    I don't think I will, if it isn't for someone else I usually don't feel the urge to draw ponies.

23. - Top - End - #263

OH FINE, MUM You know I love you Domo.

Yeah, I should. Let's try doing this again.

Day 185-I-don't-even-care (the fifteenth of January will be day number 367, we can start counting again then)

So just a quickie today.
    Love the texture of that sky.

If I go missing without explanation for more than two days again just challenge/insult/plead/lure/guilt/shame me out of hiding, please.

Do you guys want to see the things I was drawing while I was being obtuse and silent?
    Sure!

I think I lost what little I gained in anatomy so I want to focus on that (or at least as focused as it gets in here). But I'll throw in something or other else too.
    Anatomy is the hard, mechanical, technical extreme of drawing. Colour is the fun, fuzzy, creative other end. Don't focus too much on either one.

I don't think I will, if it isn't for someone else I usually don't feel the urge to draw ponies.
    Then take the challenges and use it to draw not-ponies!

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

Love the texture of that sky.
    :D

Sure!
    I'll dig the better among them up tomorrow.

Anatomy is the hard, mechanical, technical extreme of drawing. Colour is the fun, fuzzy, creative other end. Don't focus too much on either one.
    I would actually disagree with this, but maybe I'm just approaching colouring from an extremely unentertaining angle or something.

Then take the challenges and use it to draw not-ponies!
    I might.

Alright, two updates in a row, let's make this happen. You can all start betting on how long this lasts.

This was actually quite fun to draw.

Don't mind me just making babysteps in body shapes and shadows here. And apparently both of these men are vampires because they lack shadows. Wait no that's reflections. Also I made the sea much to dark and now everything looks like a mess.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Orc in the Playground

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

Airships are always there for me when I can't think of anything else.

Like so.

Also, I edited yesterday's picture a little.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Orc in the Playground

It was already getting late hn I started, so you are reated to something a little more rough.

Faces got goofy though, usually I'd just fuss over it til it looked okay.

Sincere question here, do any of you have difficulty seeing or understanding details in the sketchier pictures?

28. - Top - End - #268

It was already getting late hn I started, so you are reated to something a little more rough.

Faces got goofy though, usually I'd just fuss over it til it looked okay.

Sincere question here, do any of you have difficulty seeing or understanding details in the sketchier pictures?
    Yes. It also makes response a little difficult because it's very unclear what's a mistake and what's a temporary artifact of the sketching progress.

I recently got addicted to sketches and wound up making a unilateral decision to ink everything I did just to get me out of the habit. Been really paying off as far as arting goes, check my recent gallery.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Orc in the Playground

Yes. It also makes response a little difficult because it's very unclear what's a mistake and what's a temporary artifact of the sketching progress.
    Should have realised sooner. I still think that is a failure on my part that you should bring up, especially relevant as I don't really intend to go much further with these particular sketches. And I'll strive to get you all something a little more completed looking in the future.

I recently got addicted to sketches and wound up making a unilateral decision to ink everything I did just to get me out of the habit. Been really paying off as far as arting goes, check my recent gallery.
    I should leave comments more often to relieve you of the impression that I do not actually visit your thread daily, apparently.

Now, completely unrelated to anything else.

We have a framed scorpion in the house for some reason. I might draw it again at some point.

30. - Top - End - #270

I should leave comments more often to relieve you of the impression that I do not actually visit your thread daily, apparently.
    I don't think you've ever left a comment in my thread

*Search function*

Okay, you've left two comments, in my first Drawthread, neither of which were in response to anything I said or drew. Super.