New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

Default Re: Something that bugs me about Hunger Games

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    At what point?
    At the point the dogs show up, in the scene where they are fiddling with holograms.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    At the point the dogs show up, in the scene where they are fiddling with holograms.
    I don't recall them saying "conjure the dogs with our replicators." or anything of the sort.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

all the scene is showing is them adding the dogs to the holographic imaging of the arena There's nothing to indicate that the holograms are coming to life and becoming actual dogs. Why would you think that?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

I don't recall them saying "conjure the dogs with our replicators." or anything of the sort.
    That would not be implying, that would be outright stating.
    I watched the movie yesterday (or the day before yesterday? something like that) and the boss tells the guy fiddling with holograms something like "put them here... can you put any more? good"
    The following scene the dogs just seem to pop out of the ground. If conjuration was not what they were trying to imply, they failed really hard in that scene.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

You have to realize that the hunger games arenas are designed so the gamemasters can insert any of the items at their disposal anywhere on the map. So when the people are fiddling with the holograms and he's saying "can you get a few more there?" he's specifically telling his crew where to place these monsters, likely there are doors or stealth craft or some other entry into the arena that allows this placement without danger of escape(forcefields?) We don't see the entry in the book but it's fairly obvious by the way that the parachutes are dropped and fires start that there are controls in place for the dispersal of anything be it succor or horror
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

That they controlled the boundaries of the arena was fairly obvious, though I think a big wall would have done the job better than a forest fire. When I was watching it happen I couldnt help but wonder what would happen if Katniss had returned to the boundary after the fire had burnt itself out.

Having never read the books and maybe it explains it better there, but on the big screen those mutant dogs very defiantly are shown appearing out of nowhere and exactly where the game controllers wanted right when they needed them to. Its never explained where they came from. Not even a throw away line to explain it. Nothing.
    If they were hidden in underground kennel/boxes what harm would it have done to show a the lid flap open and the dogs run out? or have a techie sat something like "we have x dogs nearby, should we release them?"

As its shown, they meld out of the ground as if by magic/uber-tech in a seeming response to a technician creating a hologram of them

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    Do not use fridge logic on Hunger Games the books or the movie. Both the books and the movie have unsustainable logic holes in the world setting to anyone with practical knowledge on how a world functions; we're not talking about quality or well-researched literature here. Remember these are mediocre novels aimed at young readers. And it rips off a Japanese manga, already dooming itself to be prone to plot holes.

A hilarious "Let's Read" blog criticizing the novel as the blogger reads it. It's very long but very funny IMO. As a hobby writer, I bookmarked it because it's like a glossary of creative writing faux pas.

A very interesting reading. Tnx for sharing.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Man, I'm in the middle of the second book and I can't put it down. Except I have to because I'm being blackmailed into reading Wheel of Time instead.
    Even though the second book
    Spoiler
    Show
    seems like a contrived way to put the two back in the arena. I'm kind of annoyed. Also, I liked the Katniss/Peeta arena romance of the first book better than the Katniss/Gale romance. But Peeta does have the problem of being too willing to do what the Capital wants.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Man, I'm in the middle of the second book and I can't put it down. Except I have to because I'm being blackmailed into reading Wheel of Time instead.
    Even though the second book
    Spoiler
    Show
    seems like a contrived way to put the two back in the arena. I'm kind of annoyed. Also, I liked the Katniss/Peeta arena romance of the first book better than the Katniss/Gale romance. But Peeta does have the problem of being too willing to do what the Capital wants.
    Absolutely, it's still a lot of fun. The writing is pretty compelling, and the characters work pretty well. It's just on the logic front that it falls down.

(Will have to check that link once I'm somewhere it isn't firewalled.)
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Absolutely, it's still a lot of fun. The writing is pretty compelling, and the characters work pretty well. It's just on the logic front that it falls down.

(Will have to check that link once I'm somewhere it isn't firewalled.)
    Most science fiction works fail the logic test--except perhaps the Asimov-type ones which were written with the mindl of passing the logic test. I actually think The Hunger Games does better than most--primarily because the first-person narration allows the author to avoid having to explain things. Plus, it isn't a traditional science fiction work; it is more of a dystopian fantasy along the lines of 1984 or A Clockwork Orange.

As a side note, the secret to winning The Hunger Games is to be:

Spoiler
    Show
    dead sexy

Because, if you are [see above spoiler] then
    Spoiler
    Show
    patrons will buy you a trident and you'll kick butt

Unfortunately, sometimes it is
    Spoiler
    Show
    better to lose the games than to win, because if you are a dead sexy champion then the capital will force you to prostitute yourself. If you refuse, they'll kill your half-mad girlfriend who hasn't been the same since she won the hunger games.

Why?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Because the capital oppresses the people of the districts for oppression's sake.

Spoilers run to the last book.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

All the good distopian works have some sort of point to them, though. The horror comes about because you can see why such a thing would exist.

That's not really the case here.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I havn't seen the movies. In the book my explanation was that they engineered a dog for each tribute ahead of time, and just released on the ones that resembled dead tributes into the arena.

As for the second book
    Spoiler
    Show

It is basically just setting up for the, quite good in my opinion, third book.

As for the setting of the series itself
    Spoiler
    Show

The Capitol DOES seem to have a lot of "Oppression for Oppression's Sake" going on. Though most of that seems to come from the failed uprising. It seems like a lot of the status quo was established by the victors in the old uprising, seeking to humiliate their opponents, with their behavior continued for generations by people with no real animosity towards the districts.

I wouldn't really call the Hunger Games "Horror", or even a Dystopian Fiction in the vein of 1984. It's just well-written fiction with no real agenda to it. It takes apart our cultural willingness to falsify and dehumanize people in the name of entertainment, but throughout the books the characters make use of that same dehumanization. It dosn't really criticize the idea, but it examines it closely and raises the stakes considerably.
    Last edited by BRC; 2012-09-05 at 12:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    All the good distopian works have some sort of point to them, though. The horror comes about because you can see why such a thing would exist.

That's not really the case here.
    In The Hunger Games it is
    Spoiler
    Show
    revenge for the civil war and cruelty for cruelty's sake. The capital runs the games to punish the people of the districts. There's probably a fear element as well since they've oppressed the districts for so long, they cannot ease up on the oppression. There's also a side element of entertaining the people of the capital. I can certainly see a society oppressing a conquered people as revenge and then continuing the oppression because the society doesn't percieve a way to end the oppression without a societal collapse.

Plus, there's the power aspect. Anyway, The Hunger Games is partly inspired by the Theseus myths--where the king of Crete forced the conquered Greek cities to send young people to be eaten in the labyrinth by the minotaur. So, the concept is really as old as history itself.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    Anyway, The Hunger Games is partly inspired by the Theseus myths--where the king of Crete forced the conquered Greek cities to send young people to be eaten in the labyrinth by the minotaur. So, the concept is really as old as history itself.[/spoiler]
    Inspired by the Minotaur myth? I'm sorry but that's giving the author way too much credit. It's very obviously a ripoff of the manga Battle Royale. The author can deny it all she wants, but you can find it in any Barnes & Noble or Borders bookstore in the manga section.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Inspired by the Minotaur myth? I'm sorry but that's giving the author way too much credit. It's very obviously a ripoff of the manga Battle Royale. The author can deny it all she wants, but you can find it in any Barnes & Noble or Borders bookstore in the manga section.
    Well, the author said it was inspired by the Minotaur myth:
    It’s very much based on the myth of Theseus and the Minotaur, which I read when I was eight years old. I was a huge fan of Greek and Roman mythology. As punishment for displeasing Crete, Athens periodically had to send seven youths and seven maidens to Crete, where they were thrown into the labyrinth and devoured by the Minotaur, which is a monster that’s half man and half bull. Even when I was a little kid, the story took my breath away, because it was so cruel, and Crete was so ruthless.
    http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/...CA6590063.html

Not everyone reads manga. In fact, I'll bet that the majority of Americans interested in literature are not interested in manga at all. It is far more likely that her influences were Theseus (as she says) along with other possible works such as The Lottery, 1984, The Most Dangerous Game, and Lord of the Flies.
    Last edited by snoopy13a; 2012-09-05 at 12:35 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Cruelty for Cruelty's sake makes a pretty crappy motivation.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Only in the sense that Star Wars is a ripoff of Buck Rogers, or that Battlestar Galactica is a ripoff of Star Trek.

I mean, have you read both sources? Beyond "some kids have to kill each other" there are no similarities. The origins, methods, characters, plots, and pretty much everything else are different.

And given the incredibly wild commonality of "people have to kill each other in a fancy gladitorial arena", I am in fact willing to believe that more than one person could have the stunning extra idea "and they're young".
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Banned

Not everyone reads manga. In fact, I'll bet that the majority of Americans interested in literature are not interested in manga at all. It is far more likely that her influences were Theseus (as she says) along with other possible works such as The Lottery, 1984, The Most Dangerous Game, and Lord of the Flies.
    Battle Royale was a novel before it became a manga. Anyone, the fact that most americans interested in literature fall victim to media prejudice doesn't really matter, does it?
    The way fans of Battle Royale keep calling Hunger Games a rip-off really irks me, though.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

There's also a little of power for power's sake, which is the Inner Party's motivation in 1984.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

There's also a little of power for power's sake, which is the Inner Party's motivation in 1984.
    1984 depicts them as embracing cruelty(among other things) as a path to power. It isn't a simple circular cruelty for cruelty's sake or power for power.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

You're right. That story idea almost certainly never existed before Japan invented it 16 years ago.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    You're right. That story idea almost certainly never existed before Japan invented it 16 years ago.
    [Extended] Sigging this.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Uh... let's take a real life example. There's enough food to feed everyone on the planet, yet Africa has how many starving children?

Exactly. That's the point. It's not about being able to PROVIDE food, but about being GREEDY enough to keep it all for the rich/well-off. The entire series kinda revolves around that idea, IIRC. That's the real reason behind the 'Hunger' Games, a fact mentioned by the old dude that runs everything, again IIRC.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

While you're there, take a look at any of the other numerous 'people killing each other for the amusement of others' stories out there. The first that comes to mind is Most Dangerous Game, but the concept, from a literary point-of-view, probably extends from AT LEAST Shakespearean times. I'm sure next you'll tell us that Justin Beiber doesn't write his own music, though.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow. That blog totaly deconstructs the book.

What at first seems like a feministic story satirizing pop culture is strangely sexist, with the idea that people must be BORN beautiful otherwise its just faking it therefore bad!

Its just such a low level of writing! But I read Eragon as a kid so the jokes on me.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Wow. That blog totaly deconstructs the book.

What at first seems like a feministic story satirizing pop culture is strangely sexist, with the idea that people must be BORN beautiful otherwise its just faking it therefore bad!

Its just such a low level of writing! But I read Eragon as a kid so the jokes on me.
    If that's in regard to the Capital's sense of style... I wouldn't call most of thaat beauty, more like disfiguration.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

If that's in regard to the Capital's sense of style... I wouldn't call most of thaat beauty, more like disfiguration.
    Thats because its heavy handed satire of that people that don't find themselves handsome or looking nice should just accept how ugly they look. Leave looking nice to the naturally born beautiful people. Otherwise you just look even uglier.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

But its cruelty for entertainments sake which has motivated many despotic and decadent empires throughout history
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosblade View Post
    Uh... let's take a real life example. There's enough food to feed everyone on the planet, yet Africa has how many starving children?

Exactly. That's the point. It's not about being able to PROVIDE food, but about being GREEDY enough to keep it all for the rich/well-off.
    I think the causes of world hunger are a lot more complicated than just "oh it's because greedy people are keeping the food."

I'm going to also have to agree that the claims that it ripped off Battle Royale seem rather exaggerated.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-09-05 at 07:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    But its cruelty for entertainments sake which has motivated many despotic and decadent empires throughout history
    What empires? All I can think of is Roman, which
    A) only convicted PoWs and criminals to gladiator sentence
    B) used it to keep the populace satisfied.

Both those points are missing from The Hunger Games.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting