New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Realizations that make you feel really stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    For a year working in England, I managed to receive that exact same service on a daily basis, without any tipping. The service was excellent not because I bribed the servers but because they were consummate, well-remunerated professionals.

Perhaps the strangest conceit of American tipping culture is that it is somehow improves the service received. I have been in restaurants in over a dozen countries across three continents, and I can safely assert that the US is nowhere near the top in most metrics, and right at the bottom in at least a couple.

Grey Wolf
    It improves it relative to what we would get for the minimum wage they would otherwise be paid, if only because it means the difference between them being able to both pay the rent and eat two meals a day and having to choose one of them to give up. I don't have a lot of nice things to say about how most restaurants treat their workers, but I wont pretend it doesn't get them to care about their work.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Yes the big spaces of Alaska and Texas are impressive, as are the carbon and cows, but where do the most people in the U.S.A. live?

Oh that's right, my home State of California

And where is the

best weather in the U.S.A.

if not the world?

My hometown of Oakland, California.

You also have LA traffic and - worst of all - San Fransisco.
    *lightning*
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post

*reads how The City's name has been misspelled on a day his bosses bosses bosses bosses boss, the Honorable Mayor Edwin Lee lies in state at the City Hall rotundra*

*teeth grind*

*head throbs*

*eyes twitch*

*realizes auto correct had changed caribou to carbon*

*deep breaths*

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

*reads how The City's name has been misspelled on a day his bosses bosses bosses bosses boss, the Honorable Mayor Edwin Lee lies in state at the City Hall rotundra*

*teeth grind*

*head throbs*

*eyes twitch*

*realizes auto correct had changed caribou to carbon*

*deep breaths*
    I don't think you have a right to complain about misspellings; you mixed up plurals and possessives - in the OPPOSITE direction from how people usually screw it up. Also, you misspelled rotunda.
    Last edited by Fiery Diamond; 2017-12-16 at 02:00 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    When I walk into the restaurant I go to regularly, the maitre d' calls me by name and seats me instantly, the server brings me my chips and my coffee when she first appears, and my meal is already being cooked. That's what I'm tipping for.
    So you tip because you get the expected service? Or well, expected service for a place you frequent.

To clarify, I'm not against tipping. I like to tip, I did it during my student days and ate out less than most of my friend to compensate. I'm against expected tipping, the idea that I should do it because I care about the server being able to make rent. Because I should not be the one doing so, that should be the employer.

Note that over here not only are restaurant meals significantly more expensive than eating at home, tipping is being formalised as a 'service charge' and being added directly to card payments (although sometimes you get the option to refuse). I'm completely fine with this, I just wish they'd increase the price of the meals by the 10% they do the service charge for. I've seen people tip twice before, the automated tip on the card payment and an extra few quid for excellent service.

I think the last time I didn't tip was because it was excellent service, once we'd been given menus. But the menus took half an hour, which meant we were late for our play, and so we weren't in the best mood when we left.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    For a year working in England, I managed to receive that exact same service on a daily basis, without any tipping. The service was excellent not because I bribed the servers but because they were consummate, well-remunerated professionals.

Perhaps the strangest conceit of American tipping culture is that it is somehow improves the service received. I have been in restaurants in over a dozen countries across three continents, and I can safely assert that the US is nowhere near the top in most metrics, and right at the bottom in at least a couple.

Grey Wolf
    Yeah, I've strangely noticed that here in the UK the one restaurant I'll regularly eat at that's anti-tipping also has the best service of the bunch, in one case noticing that my friend and I were students and talking about going somewhere afterwards and so giving us our bill while we were eating. I've met servers who take pride in giving good service not because they get large tips but because they want customers to be happy. Heck, I've met barmen who refuse tips (which are generally of the 'and get yourself a drink' variety) or just treat the tip as a normal purchase.

Note that the restaurant I was in that gave the best service was a vegetarian place in San Francisco (did I get it right Mr 2D8HP?), but that was because we arrived and our server immediately recognised my Granny as her old maths teacher, meaning it began with 'let me get you the best table that's not taken Mrs [redacted]'.

Heck, I used to think my country's Healthcare was bad. But then I took a look at America and was immediately glad for what I have.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh, so it's like Texas to you. So I am Texan to America, which is already Texas to England. Meaning I am, in fact, in the greatest place ever created by the hands of mankind.

...and how large do they make suppositories over there?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    Unless it's west Texas, which has been scientifically determined to have the climate of Mordor.
    Oh crap. I’m moving to San Angelo in a few months. Hopefully that’s not west enough to be in Mordor territory.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    I've heard Alaskans say that they should split their state in half, thus making Texas the third largest state in the Union.
    That reminds me of this really cool stat: the US has the third largest population in the world. If we added a billion people to the country, it would still have the third largest population in the world.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Why would America want two frozen states?
    We already have more than two. Minnesota, Montana, Wyoming*, all of them are just as frozen as Alaska overall, and unlike Alaska they don't have a coastal region with the ocean keeping it warm. Granted, the colder places of Alaska are worse**

*Largely complements of windchill, because the Chinook winds don't screw around.
    **With regards to climate; Wyoming is worse in all other regards - and even then, the aforementioned Chinook winds are brutal.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Note that the restaurant I was in that gave the best service was a vegetarian place in San Francisco (did I get it right Mr 2D8HP?),
    Yes that's the correct spelling of The City.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

11. - Top - End - #131

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    In contrast, I can hear and try to pronounce the 'u' in 'colour', verses the more common 'color' of where I live.
    But that would result in it being pronounced in such a way as to rhyme with "velour". That doesn't seem right. That would be even wierder than pronouncing "theater" with a "-re" sound.

So you tip because you get the expected service? Or well, expected service for a place you frequent.

To clarify, I'm not against tipping. I like to tip, I did it during my student days and ate out less than most of my friend to compensate. I'm against expected tipping, the idea that I should do it because I care about the server being able to make rent. Because I should not be the one doing so, that should be the employer.
    Agreed; the system is badly in need of reform.

The system in place now is essentially a scam to let restuarants underreport their prices. (And while we're on the topic of misleadingly labeled prices there really should be a law requiring the listed prices of anything being sold anywhere to display the actual price after taxes and any applicable fees.)

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    ...panda "bears" aren't actually bears but more closely related to raccoons.
    You're thinking of red pandas. Those are unrelated to black pandas/panda bears in everything except name.

*lightning*
    And don't forget all the earthquakes. Common enough to lead to the hilariously biased result of the Mythbusters' test of tesla's earthquake machine (they could feel the bridge shaking but since they weren't knocked over and the bridge wasn't damaged they called it busted)
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-12-16 at 02:31 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes that's the correct spelling of The City.
    I thought it was 'London'.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    I thought it was 'London'.

By all reputable reports the surface of the World is divided into five parts:

1) The City (also known as San Francisco).

2) Places that we may get to by taking a BART train, besides The City (the Frontier)

3) Place you may go by taking a Cal-Trans train besides The City (called Silicon Valley for unknown reasons).

4) The watery realm of pirates and sea monsters.

5) There be Dragons!

Legends speak of another "The City" which is part of a place sometimes called "Lud's town" or "Londra", but as seen in the documentary film Reign of Fire, such a place is inhabited by Dragons, not people.

It is a reasonable assumption that many of the posts to this Forum are in fact from the talons of Dragons.

I've many co-workers who's ancestors came from "The land of the Dragon" (singular?) who have confirmed my understanding of the world beyond the Frontier, I also have co-workers who speak a language I believe they call "rushing" (despite often speaking slowly) and they insist that the land of their birth is inhabited by bears not Dragons. Since bears (such as the one on the flag of California) exist only as legend, it is reasonable to assume they are mistaken.

I've also heard tell of a "Land of Whales" (IIRC a whale is a type of sea monster), which has a flag of a Red Dragon. The written examples that I've seen of the language of the Land of Whales are clearly of a language that no human could speak without magic, so this land must have Dragons not people as inhabitants, as to why a land would be named after a sea monster is rather puzzling, I speculate that it is often innuded by the sea by tides perhaps? The whales are then left beached when the tides recede provided food for the Dragon inhabitants.

Much mention has been made regarding the quality of BBQ in various Dragon infested regions, which is obviously roasted by fire breathing Dragons.

I once tried a dish called "chile" that I was told came from a land of Taxes, which somehow was hot in the mouth even at room temperature and left a lingering burning sensation, obviously Dragon food.

I salute those of you who live amongst such dangers and wonders!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

I've also heard tell of a "Land of Whales" (IIRC a whale is a type of sea monster), which has a flag of a Red Dragon. The written examples that I've seen of the language of the Land of Whales are clearly of a language that no human could speak without magic, so this land must have Dragons not people as inhabitants, as to why a land would be named after a sea monster is rather puzzling, I speculate that it is often innuded by the sea by tides perhaps? The whales are then left beached when the tides recede provided food for the Dragon inhabitants.
    I've been to the Land of Whales, although it was just a brief passing to get to the Land of Ire, and I can tell you that the whales have learnt to counter this by covering the land in sheep. Therefore when the whales are beached they have time to get back to the sea before the dragons look up from their sheep munching and notice the new sources of food.

@Bohandas: I agree with you 100%. I'm used to VAT being included in the advertised price, so I always get annoyed when I visit America, try to buy something, and discover I was supposed to budget for the sales tax as well as what they're telling me what the item costs. What's the use of putting the price on there if it's not what I'm paying for it? $10 means $10, stop trying to tell me it doesn't.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    ...and how large do they make suppositories over there?
    We have to import those.

Extended Sig

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

I've been to the Land of Whales, although it was just a brief passing to get to the Land of Ire....

The Land of Ire!?

Oh that sounds dangerous:

ire
    noun
    /ɑɪər/

anger:

The team drew the ire of local politicians when it moved to a new stadium outside the city

(I think I have family in that land).

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The Land of Ire!?

Oh that sounds dangerous:

ire
    noun
    /ɑɪər/

anger:

The team drew the ire of local politicians when it moved to a new stadium outside the city

(I think I have family in that land).
    Given the events of the 20th century, it sounds about right.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Fun fact: the Greek word for "wanderer" was planetes, from which "planet" (because planets follow their own trajectories in the sky, instead of rotating with the stars).
    Plankton as well (because they drift with the current rather than swimming under their own power. Which now that I think about seems like the reverse logic to planets vs stars).
    Last edited by Wardog; 2017-12-17 at 02:50 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

The City

It's even first on the list.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    I have a handful of speech oddities based on false misconceptions about the meaning of certain words or terms that were never cleared up when i was young. They're rare enough that they don't usually show up in regular talk, but common enough that they do make me feel like an idiot sometimes.

The worst part is that even the ones that have been cleared up, I sometimes slip back into just out of the habit of me saying them for much of my life. Then I have to go "Yeah, that's what i meant" when it gets pointed out. That's really when I feel stupid.
    Yeah, same, although pronounciation-wise, not as to meaning... I thought you could reminsce, or that meander was said me-ander.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    We already have more than two. Minnesota, Montana, Wyoming*, all of them are just as frozen as Alaska overall, and unlike Alaska they don't have a coastal region with the ocean keeping it warm.
    You forgot North Dakota. To be fair, though, who doesn't?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    North Dakota doesn't exist, have you ever known anyone from there, or even seen a car with a North Dakota license plate?
    I certainly haven't.

There is a great ice wall at the northern border of "South" Dakota, which no one has crossed.

No one!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CircleOfTheRock View Post
    Yeah, same, although pronounciation-wise, not as to meaning... I thought you could reminsce, or that meander was said me-ander.
    What? Meander is pronounced "me ander."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That wasn't intended to be a comprehensive list - it also didn't include Colorado, where I live (although to be fair only part of Colorado really qualifies. The south is pretty hot.).

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    What? Meander is pronounced "me ander."
    Well, either you've got it wrong, or I do. If you're wrong, you've got something to add to this thread, and if I'm wrong I've got something to switch out on this thread for something else!

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    ...you mixed up plurals and possessives - in the OPPOSITE direction from how people usually screw it up...
    Thanks for the advice!

.....unfortunately I have the realization that with my incomplete grammar education I don't have the skills to even understand what my mistake was much less fix it.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the advice!

.....unfortunately I have the realization that with my incomplete grammar education I don't have the skills to even understand what my mistake was much less fix it.
    You used "bosses" (the plural form of boss, ie, multiple bosses) in place of "boss' " (the possessive form, such as your boss' pen). It's still pronounced the same, tho.

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Well, either you've got it wrong, or I do. If you're wrong, you've got something to add to this thread, and if I'm wrong I've got something to switch out on this thread for something else!
    You can google the word, and click on the little loudspeaker symbol to hear it pronounced. It is indeed pronounced "me-ander", or more formally, /mēˈandər/

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

29. - Top - End - #149

How do you say It?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

You used "bosses" (the plural form of boss, ie, multiple bosses) in place of "boss' " (the possessive form, such as your boss' pen). It's still pronounced the same, tho.
    So the boss of my boss would be "my boss's boss", or "my boss' boss"?