New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

Yeah, Caster was pretty amazing there. And cute. Aaaand a weird fangirl...
    Still, I stand by my earlier point of Berserker in episode 5 totally blowing my mind. I guess it's the big, big, BIG child in me.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 0Megabyte View Post
    Is that... Caster? I mean, yes, it's Caster. It's obviously Caster. But I am having trouble believing my eyes.
    *Looks at Avie*

Well you would, she's still a cruel heartless b*tch to you yes? Or anything that isn't Souichirou related

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Caster seems generally cute and nice in Carnival Phantasm, so it shouldn't be too weird. Even if she's based actually one of the greatest sociopaths in Greek mythology, which says quite a bit.
    Would you believe there is actually a substantial ancient consensus for Medea as a sympathetic character? To start with her infatuation with Jason is essentially a curse from the gods to aide him. Further after saving the Argonauts butts and getting knocked up by Jason, he decides she is not politically advantageous enough to keep around and is going to push his "barbarian" wife to the side. Even her killing them to ancient Hellenic eyes something rather like getting an abortion today, a kindness compared to their fates. Since were functionally foreigners if Jason remarries.

Well at least all according to a play by Euripdes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Still, I stand by my earlier point of Berserker in episode 5 totally blowing my mind. I guess it's the big, big, BIG child in me.
    Yeah episode seven technically doesn't blaze much new ground, but Berserker getting focus as more then an immovable object is mind blowingly hilarious.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Banned

Oh, I know. But I was thinking about the whole bringing her little brother along, then chopping him to pieces to slow her father's ship down with fishing them up, as well. And the whole murdering whoever Jason prefers over here. Although, really, everyone involved with Jason seems to be a quite a ****. Not the least Jason himself, just not quite to the same extend as Medea.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I know. But I was thinking about the whole bringing her little brother along, then chopping him to pieces to slow her father's ship down with fishing them up, as well. And the whole murdering whoever Jason prefers over here. Although, really, everyone involved with Jason seems to be a quite a ****. Not the least Jason himself, just not quite to the same extend as Medea.
    Meh I think Jason is about as pathetic as you can get in Greek Mythology. I remember having a discussion about him as a Servant and the general consensus was that he would be weak as crap unless you let him summon the other Argonauts because he doesn't do a damn thing.

Given that everyone is **** in Greek myth I'll put him as worse then Medea because he doesn't give as much. And quitely grow an appreciation for increased Good/Evil moral structure since the days of myth.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Firbolg in the Playground

Jason would be the most powerful servant because his noble phantasm would be the Argo, which would let him summon other servants. He'd be like Gilgamesh but with heroic spirits instead of noble phantasms. He'd suck himself though. He's be a rider class since that seems to be the "summon allies" class. On that note, Arturia would probably be stronger as a Rider since the full list of Knights of the Round table makes the full list of the Argo crew look pathetic.

Jason and the Argonauts is to Greek Mythology what Secret Wars was to marvel comics after all. Jason is like the Beyonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    I'd cite Sailor Moon back at you, but then I remembered they're royalty/nobility themselves, so it's more of a story of imperial conflict with the common man getting tragically caught in the middle.
    Sailor Moon teaches us that all anti-monarchist revolutionaries are secretly puppets of evil abominations from beyond the Stars (or from the Sun itself in the first story arc) and that righteous dictatorships should be enforced using all powerful life extending artifacts left behind by a deceased master race.

...and that is why there are so many fanfics that turn the Sailor Senshi into the badguys.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2011-11-11 at 07:36 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Orc in the Playground

Wasn't (wouldn't?) that life extending thing available for everyone?
    Exception cannot prove the rule. It disproves it.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Barbarian in the Playground

WHY DIDN'T ANYBODY TELL ME HOW AMAZINGLY ENTERTAINING AND BRILLIANT MAWARU-PENGUINDRUM IS?

Seriously, I just marathonned the 21 episodes we have to date and I think I'm in love. If the ending doesn't go off the tracks, it will be my personal nomination for Anime of the Year (Yes, over Madoka).

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    WHY DIDN'T ANYBODY TELL ME HOW AMAZINGLY ENTERTAINING AND BRILLIANT MAWARU-PENGUINDRUM IS?

Seriously, I just marathonned the 21 episodes we have to date and I think I'm in love. If the ending doesn't go off the tracks, it will be my personal nomination for Anime of the Year (Yes, over Madoka).
    How should we know you didn't know? ^^'
    It's pretty good but I'm behind like two episodes... it's a bit straining to watch if you try to get everything that happens on screen and I'm worn out.
    But yeah, it got a great overall quality and some episodes are just amazing. (Though, strong competition for anime of the year. PMMM and Steins;Gate are both up there, probably others)

9. - Top - End - #519

I don't even know about that anime. It seems that I've missed the usual anime season link. Do someone here still have it?

Anyway... it seems negima is ending? And the ending will be a pretty weird one... though weird might be not the perfect choice of word.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

I think ending might be a relative term with Negima. You could very effectively spin another hundred chapters out with no problems at all, just from what's been left hanging. Still have to go find Nagi after all. I doubt we will have another single arc (if it can be termed that) of the Magical World's length but with the timeline of the big project its too early to call things even close to done.

11. - Top - End - #521

Penguin Drum is the "sit back and be subjected to it even if you have no idea if you like it" show in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenno Seremel View Post
    Wasn't (wouldn't?) that life extending thing available for everyone?
    Everyone who bows down before the reincarnated princess of an otherworldy master race. Everyone else gets exiled to space and corrupted by a planet of pure evil. At least until that backfires and they have to blow that planet up using time travel to duplicate their rediculously powerful muguffin.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2011-12-04 at 12:43 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Anyway... it seems negima is ending? And the ending will be a pretty weird one... though weird might be not the perfect choice of word.
    Yeah. At this rate it will be less "weird" and more "nice boat".

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #523
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Everyone who bows down before the reincarnated princess of an otherworldy master race. Everyone else gets exiled to space and corrupted by a planet of pure evil. At least until that backfires and they have to blow that planet up using time travel to duplicate their rediculously powerful muguffin.
    And what made you think exiled ones were up to any good? Alternatively they could kill them… not quite better :}

14. - Top - End - #524

And what made you think exiled ones were up to any good? Alternatively they could kill them… not quite better :}
    Nothing. From what you see of them they're sociopathic murderers (but some of them get redeemed in the anime where defeat means friendship is in play). But that never stopped fanfic writers.

Executing a terrorist on the spot is better than sending him into space so he can merge with a planet to become an evil god and then killing him once he's poisoned the entire earth and turned your daughter evil. But you can't really blame someone for knock on effects they couldn't have predicted. Unless its a time travel story and you know what's going to happen because it was your younger self who blew up his planet form.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2011-12-05 at 04:58 PM.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sailor Moon teaches us that all anti-monarchist revolutionaries are secretly puppets of evil abominations from beyond the Stars (or from the Sun itself in the first story arc) and that righteous dictatorships should be enforced using all powerful life extending artifacts left behind by a deceased master race.

...and that is why there are so many fanfics that turn the Sailor Senshi into the badguys.
    Why does that suddenly remind me of Assassin's Creed?
    A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.
    In real life that is.
    Everywhere else, you're screwed.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Orc in the Playground

Nothing. From what you see of them they're sociopathic murderers (but some of them get redeemed in the anime where defeat means friendship is in play). But that never stopped fanfic writers.

Executing a terrorist on the spot is better than sending him into space so he can merge with a planet to become an evil god and then killing him once he's poisoned the entire earth and turned your daughter evil. But you can't really blame someone for knock on effects they couldn't have predicted. Unless its a time travel story and you know what's going to happen because it was your younger self who blew up his planet form.
    Fanfics… I stop reading those long ago to preserve my sanity (^ ^)' Because if you try hard enough you can even get Nanoha with Hellsing sound over it (there is one on Youtube) regardless of whether it makes any sense or not. It was… amusing, though.

As for the other… well, we have Australia's history.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Fanfics… I stop reading those long ago to preserve my sanity (^ ^)' Because if you try hard enough you can even get Nanoha with Hellsing sound over it (there is one on Youtube) regardless of whether it makes any sense or not. It was… amusing, though.

As for the other… well, we have Australia's history.
    Nanoha Hellsing is entirely appropriate. I wish the subbed version of that vid was still around.

18. - Top - End - #528

Howdy y'all, so I'm back looking for more recommendations on shows that you think I would like.

Shows I have seen:
    Mushishi: this has been my favorite show so far. The Art, the Acting, The Writing all were brilliant.
    Samurai 7: this show come in a very close second.
    Moribito, Guardian of the Sacred Spirit: This was a pretty top notch show.
    Full Metal Alchemist: This come in at a slightly more distant fourth, it seemed to me thet it couldn't decide if it wanted to be serious or cartoony and that bugged me
    One that I can't remember the name of about these girls with wings that had get over their personal insecurities in order to pass on. It was all right, but I really wanted to smack most of the characters upside the head and tell them to get over themselves.

Way down at the bottom are these ones:
    Samurai Champloo: It is beyond my tolerance for coarseness.
    Tri-Gun: I didn't watch much, the art is pretty far into the uncanny valley for me.
    Cowboy Bebop: Again, the art drives me up a wall, as does the voice acting.

Well, I hope that give a good picture of my tastes and sensibilities. Thank you in advance, and also for your past endeavors on my behalf (as I have received sound advice from y'all before) .

19. - Top - End - #529
    Banned

I'm not sure you understand what the term uncanny valley means. It means something that looks realistically human enough that all the ways it doesn't look human stands out all the more, which seems an odd thing to apply to Trigun given the degree of exaggeration and stylization in character designs and animation in it.

Also, I'm really not sure what to recommend for you based on that summary since your taste seems to be pretty diverse, yet also pretty specific. Also, I believe you're the first person I've ever heard state a dislike of either the English or Japanese voice acting of Cowboy Bebop. So, yeah, at this combination of likes, dislikes and opinions I'm pretty stumped.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

I find the decision not to watch a show because of its artstyle very weird - especially since Trigun is good and Bebop is pretty amazing. I mean, I can find a show's artstyle weird at times (Martian Successor Nadesico is a good example - those huge, staring eyes...), but that doesn't stop me from watching and usually I get used to it over time. And more often than not, it's worth it. As for voices, if you don't like the dub, you can just watch it subbed.

Anyway, you could give Twelve Kingdoms a try. It starts in a pretty cliche "girl gets spirited away to a fantasy world" way, but it's actually not that kind of show. It's a sociopolitical tale about the responsibilities of a ruler.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #531

Quote Originally Posted by Nibleswick View Post
    One that I can't remember the name of about these girls with wings that had get over their personal insecurities in order to pass on.
    Haibane Renmei.

22. - Top - End - #532

I'm not sure you understand what the term uncanny valley means. It means something that looks realistically human enough that all the ways it doesn't look human stands out all the more, which seems an odd thing to apply to Trigun given the degree of exaggeration and stylization in character designs and animation in it.
    That is exactly what I mean by it. The way that the characters are exaggerated and stylized just hits my buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Anyway, you could give Twelve Kingdoms a try. It starts in a pretty cliche "girl gets spirited away to a fantasy world" way, but it's actually not that kind of show. It's a sociopolitical tale about the responsibilities of a ruler.
    Thank you, I shall give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    Haibane Renmei.
    Thank you, that is the one I meant.

Thank you all very much for your help.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Banned

I kinda figured that, but it's exactly the opposite of the uncanny valley so I wasn't quite sure it was correct. Anyway, I'll honestly have to agree with you that the designs and animation in Trigun aren't terribly appealing and definitely one of the weakest parts of the show.

24. - Top - End - #534

So, I've been watching the Twelve Kingdoms, and I must say it is pretty dang brilliant. I'm twelve episodes in right now, and I have enjoyed every minute of the various characters ascents and descents to and from sanity. I have particularly liked watching Sugimoto come so close to understanding so many times only to have it pulled away at the last minute. It is so fulfilling now that she gets it. Also, lingering in my mind is; where is Asano? Rules of naritive causality state the he can't be dead, so I'm rather excitedly watching fo his return.

In other words, thank you for suggesting it.

25. - Top - End - #535

Asano and Sugimoto have much bigger roles in the anime than in the original light novels, where they were the heroine's friends and... that's it. They stayed behind in Japan rather than being transported to the kingdoms with her. So they may feel out of place. At least the anime version did some pretty interesting things with the latter. The former, not so much.

26. - Top - End - #536

Finally finished reading all the available Billy Bat chapters. Have I ever told you how bat**** insane, pun totally intended, that series is?

Apparently Naoki Urasawa can only get insaner. Master Keaton is a one hundred percent sober detective series. Then he made Monster. And Monster is downright mundane compared to 20th century boys. And 20th century boys is down to earth compared to Billy Bat. It's almost like Dr.McNinja on how you think. 'alright, what can he write next, he can't be any crazier than this' and then he did make something crazier. How I envy those writers.

edit: And I can't believe I forgot Yawara, his older comic. It's because I almost can't believe it's made by the same person. Yawara is a standard romantic comedy. The progress of insanity still holds true.
    Last edited by Fri; 2011-12-09 at 01:55 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

About negima, it's astounding how badly he's maintained the masquerade. And it used to be such a big deal too. Seriously, does the entire 3-A know now (those that didn't already know beforehand I mean)? To be fair though, some of it wasn't his fault.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

All of 3-A knows though what they know in particular doesn't seem to have been addressed directly.

And Mahora still doesn't if you look very closely you'll see a "isn't it CG" handwave again.

Also ultimate showdown Negi vs Class 3-A place your bets. I don't think its even a contest personally.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Colossus in the Playground

So; since I couldn't find a separate thread I assume manga discussion falls under the parameters of this thread too?

Regardless, after a long, long break from experiencing any new works I have in a bit over a week went through:
    Tsukihime (Visual Novel, Manga & Anime)
    Tsukihime Plus Disc (Visual Novel)
    Melty Blood + Act 2 (Manga)
    Clannad & After Story (Anime) + Tomoyo After (Manga)
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2006 Anime)

All of them were incredible experiences (except the Tsukihime anime, which was incredibly lame after the VN and manga). It also appears I'm currently incredibly confused; all of them were quite heavy.

That said, few things:
    - Should I also go through the Clannad VN? What about Haruhi manga? I'm pretty sure I'm watching the 2009 anime on Haruhi next alongside the original Clannad movie, but beyond that I haven't planned out too far.
    - I'm a newly converted Type-Moon fan based on Tsukihime & the immediately surrounding works (playing through Kagetsu Tohya next). I especially loved the style of the story and the way the world felt consistent and especially the characters. Should I go through the Fate franchise and Kara no Kyoukai too? Is it similar enough in those aspects? Would you recommend them?
    - I've got about 10 years worth of works to catch up on (I've watched an extremely limited number of animes and read no manga recently). Which ones should I prioritize? I'm thinking I want to at least go through the big titles like FMA: Brotherhood (I've seen the original anime but never read the manga nor Brotherhood), Death Note, Hellsing & One Piece. However, any big suggestions would be more than welcome.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    - I'm a newly converted Type-Moon fan based on Tsukihime & the immediately surrounding works (playing through Kagetsu Tohya next). I especially loved the style of the story and the way the world felt consistent and especially the characters. Should I go through the Fate franchise and Kara no Kyoukai too? Is it similar enough in those aspects? Would you recommend them?
    I would say Fate is superior to Tsukihime. While it sounds like you were going to read the VN first anyway, I'm still going to bring up the adaptations (FSN's 3 routes are Fate, Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel in order):
    The anime is mostly based on the Fate route with some added scenes, some of which are inspired by ones from the other routes. It's good, but not as good as the VN.
    The manga goes a similar route, but with different added scenes. And IIRC it was never finished.
    The movie is a set of scenes from Unlimited Blade Works with little tying them together; it assumes you know the plot already.

Ignore Fate/zero for now - it has way too many spoilers for all three routes.

Oh, and don't forget the Melty Blood games, which are set after Kagetsu Tohya.

I have no idea what to say about Kara no Kyoukai - the original work is impossible to find, but the movies are interesting and well-animated. I hear a lot of stuff is cut, but familiarity with Tsukihime helps to clear things up a bit. Note that Kara no Kyoukai is officially in an alternate universe to the rest of Type-Moon's works, but all this seems to mean is that vampires don't exist.

EDIT:
    - I've got about 10 years worth of works to catch up on (I've watched an extremely limited number of animes and read no manga recently). Which ones should I prioritize? I'm thinking I want to at least go through the big titles like FMA: Brotherhood (I've seen the original anime but never read the manga nor Brotherhood), Death Note, Hellsing & One Piece. However, any big suggestions would be more than welcome.
    Re: FMA, Brotherhood is basically a direct adaptation of the manga, but it adds a new first episode and compresses things that were covered by the first anime. I feel the first anime was better put-together in general, so I'd go for the manga.

Other big titles: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Puella Magi Madoka Magica... (watching these at the same time probably isn't a good idea)
    Code Geass is often compared to Death Note, and, well, it's interesting to do so. As in, I could see "compare and contrast the characters of Light Yagami and Lelouch Lamperouge" as a question on an English paper if they were classical novels.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-12-14 at 08:22 PM.