New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    I don't think there are swordsmen who can really challenge Zoro other than Mihawk and perhaps Shanks (and I seriously doubt he will cross swords with him), I am pretty sure Zoro's future enemies will have other kind of abilities, perhaps even being stronger fruit users perhaps even Logia types (of all his enemies the only one I recall being a Devil fruit user was Mr. 1, though I may be wrong)
    I'd say Vista and Shiliew of the Rain (Wait, THAT'S how they translated it, One Piece Wiki? Not Shinryu? Very lame) could pose a possible challenge in the New World, but remember that all of Whitebeard's forces just represented the might of ONE Yonkou. There are still three others who might have swordsmen able to give Zoro a run for his money, but that's just something to work towards.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

Damn all those characters I always keep forgetting about them...

You are right, I was thinking more on big names (the Yonkou's themselves) and not their crews.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #783
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    I'd say Vista and Shiliew of the Rain (Wait, THAT'S how they translated it, One Piece Wiki? Not Shinryu? Very lame) could pose a possible challenge in the New World, but remember that all of Whitebeard's forces just represented the might of ONE Yonkou. There are still three others who might have swordsmen able to give Zoro a run for his money, but that's just something to work towards.
    If I remember correctly, pretty much all of the translations, including Funimation's subs used Shiryu. However, his name was officially romanized by Oda in chapter 595. I still prefer Shiryu over Shiliew though.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Other zoan types might be affected though.
    X Drake/Marco on a Rumble Ball. World = Screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ettin in the Playground

Monster Point Drake.... can I say Godzilla?
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    X Drake/Marco on a Rumble Ball. World = Screwed.
    Hehe, sounds good to me.

Well... Zoro against Logia users would be pretty mean... unless he can infuse his swords with haki. Oh what am I saying, of yourse he can, he's the goddamn Zoro.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Monster Point Drake.... can I say Godzilla?
    You have my permission. :P

Though, I think I'd be more worried about Monster Point Marco.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Well... Zoro against Logia users would be pretty mean... unless he can infuse his swords with haki. Oh what am I saying, of yourse he can, he's the goddamn Zoro.
    We have no reason to believe he can. Well, nothing canon. The best inkling we have is that he trained under Mihawk, and Mihawk most likely can control Haki.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

We have no reason to believe he can. Well, nothing canon. The best inkling we have is that he trained under Mihawk, and Mihawk most likely can control Haki.
    Im not quite sure about that, if his Asura attack (the one used against that CP9 guy) isnt a version of Haki, then i dont know what else it could be.

For that matter, his ability to cut steel does feel quite a bit like Haki as well.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Im not quite sure about that, if his Asura attack (the one used against that CP9 guy) isnt a version of Haki, then i dont know what else it could be.

For that matter, his ability to cut steel does feel quite a bit like Haki as well.
    I'm not sure about the first bit, but the second bit makes sense ... I sort of had forgotten why he was able to cut steel, and I must admit, that is very Haki-like.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Where is the new chapter? Hmmm? *taps foot impatiently*

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

Where is the new chapter? Hmmm? *taps foot impatiently*
    Usually up on wednesdays?

12. - Top - End - #792

I'm not sure about the first bit, but the second bit makes sense ... I sort of had forgotten why he was able to cut steel, and I must admit, that is very Haki-like.
    I think I may have mentioned before that I though Zoro's display at the end of the Mr. 1 fight seemed very much like he was using Color of Observation haki.

-

So, I recently caught the latest three episodes and I'd recommend that everyone at least watch 521 and 522. There are some cool action scenes there worth watching, and the episodes do a good job of bringing the feeling of a new adventure.

-

Also, apparently, there is an official Fake Straw Hats theme song: We Were!

Edit: Sorry if anyone thought that bumping the thread meant that the new chapter was up.

Edit 2: Well, chapter is out now!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought Brook had this chapter won with his finishing move, but then Franky shot a Laser beam! A Laser Beam!

Also, Sanji and Jinbei's battle was pretty awesome as well. (Especially Sanji's anger mode.)
    Last edited by Vent Reynolt; 2011-11-16 at 03:29 PM.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So many beautiful double pages. Was sort of hard to tell what was going on in Zolo's finisher ... And what's the definition of Rengoku?

14. - Top - End - #794
    Titan in the Playground

The translation I read (Binktopia) did it as Purgatory Demon Slayer; but AFAIK Oni Giri is Ogre/Demon slash... so assuming Rengoku is purgatory it would be Purgatory Demon slash... I guess.

And I am pretty sure the monster trio can use haki to an extent at least... I know we don't have any clues on whether Sanji can use it. My personal theory is that he (unknowingly) uses the colour of Armament when using Diamble Jambé to protect himself.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

15. - Top - End - #795
    Bugbear in the Playground

So many beautiful double pages. Was sort of hard to tell what was going on in Zoro's finisher
    I figure Zoro beat Hyozou's attack from behind without even looking at him or turning around. I didn't quite understand where Hyozou got his new swords from, though.

Really, a load of great battle finishers showing what the various Straw Hats have learned. The least impressive was probably Chopper, if only because Monster Chopper is so huge and strong he can just smash through weaker enemies (meaning pretty much anyone not up to the level of the major players in the Whitebeard War) with ease. It'd be interesting to see him face off against other giant-size enemies and get more creative in his attacks.
    Spoiler
    Show

Usopp: Flashy AND effective.
    Brook: "I already cut you" is even cooler when it's infused with Hell-Ice.
    Jimbe/Sanji: Affecting such a huge opponent is pretty sweet, especially how Sanji managed to set the entire guy on fire.
    Franky: LASER BEAM! Pacifistas, eat your hearts out.
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #796
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah... some nice action today. Maybe a bit cramped together all of it but it was fun to watch and obviously everyone got up to a üretty decnt level of fighting power.

Though, I keep wondering how Ussop will keep stocked on his plants.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Yeah... some nice action today. Maybe a bit cramped together all of it but it was fun to watch and obviously everyone got up to a üretty decnt level of fighting power.

Though, I keep wondering how Ussop will keep stocked on his plants.
    Plants grow. Plants drop seeds. Seeds grow and become plants. Circle of life and all that.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    Plants grow. Plants drop seeds. Seeds grow and become plants. Circle of life and all that.
    Usopp's seeds grow into man-eating monstrosities... where does he grow them safely. That's my question.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Perhaps he just knows non-intuitive ways to beat them, and as such they're not a danger to him.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yeah, Ussop's finisher was odd. And was anybody else reminded of Fist of the North Star when they saw Brook's finisher?

21. - Top - End - #801
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter.
    Spoiler
    Show

Well... I was kind of surprised. There was not much happening, I guess, that's the bad part but Shirahoshi kind of being the savior is.. a nice turn of events. I already forgot about her power, I must admit. Been too long. But the sea kings seem pretty sentiont, whcih is kind of new.
    But I guess it's a nice finish to the whole story... moving on, now, please? To someone who is kind of a threat to the Strawhats?

22. - Top - End - #802

New Chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Admittedly, I was a bit disappointed by the resolution of this arc. Granted, I did expect that it would be Shirahoshi's power that would stop Noah, but I really wasn't expecting the Sea Kings to communicate back! Anyway, I'm much more interested in this "Joy Boy". King Neptune seems to know more about the subject than even the Poneglyph mentioned!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #803
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter...
    Spoiler
    Show

Nothing too special happening... Gol could talk to the sea kings, or at least kind of understand them like Luffy... I'm getting a bit annoyed but I think it's just me who feels Oda isn't too subtle with the 'Luffy is like Gol' hints. It's not too bad, though.

Well... Robin needs to help Chopper fix Luffy up, something about Destiny... and only Jinbei got the guts to defy the law and give blood to Luffy (what blood type is F anyway? o.o)

Oh, and Jinbei does join the Strawhats... i guess it's not that big a surprise but I still don't like it. I have nothing against Jinbei I just think he's not a good Strawhat.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

New chapter...
    Spoiler
    Show

Nothing too special happening... Gol could talk to the sea kings, or at least kind of understand them like Luffy... I'm getting a bit annoyed but I think it's just me who feels Oda isn't too subtle with the 'Luffy is like Gol' hints. It's not too bad, though.

Well... Robin needs to help Chopper fix Luffy up, something about Destiny... and only Jinbei got the guts to defy the law and give blood to Luffy (what blood type is F anyway? o.o)

Oh, and Jinbei does join the Strawhats... i guess it's not that big a surprise but I still don't like it. I have nothing against Jinbei I just think he's not a good Strawhat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Blood Type F means Blood Type "F*** this, I'm a F***in pirate!"

And I agree, Jimbei on the crew just sounds weird. It doesn't seem like he'd fit in with the group dynamic at all. Maybe as a temporary member like Vivi while they're underwater. He'd definitely be useful then.

I think the biggest thing is that he wouldn't have a specific position, unlike every other member of the crew (except maybe Nico Robin), and the fact that he's just too serious. I'm not sure how the Straw Hat group dynamic will work with him in the mix.

Also, if he does end up staying, I'm noticing a pattern here: the new recruits seem to be getting older over time. Nico Robin was 28, Franky was 34, Brook was 88 (but that was due to being a skeleton and all, he died at 36 I think), and now Jimbei is 46.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    What bothers me about Jimbei joining the straw hats is that he is already established pirate. And it does come rather late, the Straw Hats as a group have already experienced much together, and just spent two years honing their skills. To me, Straw Hats are a rookie (sort of) pirate crew who are on a journey of discovery, and I cannot see Jimbei fitting in.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    What bothers me about Jimbei joining the straw hats is that he is already established pirate. And it does come rather late, the Straw Hats as a group have already experienced much together, and just spent two years honing their skills. To me, Straw Hats are a rookie (sort of) pirate crew who are on a journey of discovery, and I cannot see Jimbei fitting in.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That too. Everyone else on the crew has their own specific dreams and goals to work towards. I guess Jimbei could work to forward human-fishman relations, but it doesn't seem like he could do that on the Straw Hat crew.

Then again, Oda often surprises and rarely disappoints, so I guess we'll have to see what happens.
    Last edited by DiscipleofBob; 2011-11-30 at 04:27 PM.

27. - Top - End - #807

Sooo... New chapter:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Obviously, the biggest development in this chapter is the revelation that Luffy can hear the voice of all things!

Okay, the biggest development is Luffy asking Jimbei to join the crew! Honestly, I've been supporting having Jimbei in the crew since Impel Down. For those still vehemently against him joining, though, remember that Jimbei hasn't actually accepted the invitation yet... so there's still a (small) chance that he won't join after all.

The past couple of weeks, I have been pretty annoyed by Hodi trying to be a legitimate threat, but the blood transfusion resolution actually made it worth it for me.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    Sooo... New chapter:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Obviously, the biggest development in this chapter is the revelation that Luffy can hear the voice of all things!

Okay, the biggest development is Luffy asking Jimbei to join the crew! Honestly, I've been supporting having Jimbei in the crew since Impel Down. For those still vehemently against him joining, though, remember that Jimbei hasn't actually accepted the invitation yet... so there's still a (small) chance that he won't join after all.

The past couple of weeks, I have been pretty annoyed by Hodi trying to be a legitimate threat, but the blood transfusion resolution actually made it worth it for me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone says no originally. Everybody. Robin doesn't count because she wasn't invited. Maybe I'm wrong, what did Brook do when asked, I forget. As awesome as it would, Jinbei is still more powerful then Sanji and Zolo, so ... That'd upset the balance of things. It's be interesting to say the least. The definite thing is that someone is joining. It's looking like Jinbei yes, but it could be Shirahoshi, though that's losing credibility fast, IMO. I'm still rooting for Hachan myself, I don't care if it isn't feasible.

Yeah, the whole blood thing was totally adorable, it gave me that warm feeling OP should. Especially since it seems Luffy was faking. Maybe I'm wrong though.

29. - Top - End - #809

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone says no originally. Everybody. Robin doesn't count because she wasn't invited. Maybe I'm wrong, what did Brook do when asked, I forget. As awesome as it would, Jinbei is still more powerful then Sanji and Zolo, so ... That'd upset the balance of things. It's be interesting to say the least. The definite thing is that someone is joining. It's looking like Jinbei yes, but it could be Shirahoshi, though that's losing credibility fast, IMO. I'm still rooting for Hachan myself, I don't care if it isn't feasible.

Yeah, the whole blood thing was totally adorable, it gave me that warm feeling OP should. Especially since it seems Luffy was faking. Maybe I'm wrong though.
    Continued new chapter discussion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Very true. Nearly every crew member said no immediately. Robin sort of invited herself in, and even though Brook said 'yes' immediately, he knew that his traveling with the Straw Hats was entirely contingent on him recovering his shadow from Gekko Moriah first. I could definitely see Jimbei refusing to join because he wants to stay behind and help Fishman Island. I think we'll just have to wait and see.

Also, good point on Luffy faking!
    Last edited by Vent Reynolt; 2011-11-30 at 08:21 PM.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #810
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Up until reading this chapter I would have howled and shook my fist if anyone had brought up Jinbei joining the crew… Now I'm pretty happy about it. I guess its just Oda reminding me why I like One Piece more than most other manga.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show