New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Elementalist Handbook (Spheres of Power)

So, I've written a handbook for the elementalist from Drop Dead Studio's Spheres of Power.

Feedback is welcome.

Permission granted to be added to handbook compilation lists.
    Last edited by stack; 2015-08-11 at 04:43 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Elementalist Handbook (Spheres of Power)

Under Spellcraft, I'm guessing the word you meant was "shot."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Whoops. Good catch, I'll get that fixed when I get on a real computer. Glad someone is reading it, even though it isn't finished.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Good start to the guide. I would note under Skills that the major notables can be Traited into, and running a Human with 12 Int yields a spread of 6 SP/level (Bluff, Diplomacy, Acrobatics, UMD, Perception, and use the spare point to enable Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Knowledge, etc). Open Minded feat brings that to a very respectable 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Numerous updates made, including a bit about spellcrafting. All spheres feats are mentioned as well as a few notable others. Looking for suggestions for feats, gear, and builds.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Races and multiclassing added. Kirin style added to feats. Will continue to update formatting, hopefully table of contents functionality can be brought over from Word.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Archetypes added. Need to write the section on favored class bonuses.

Working out an effective melee build as well, based on natural attacks and the fire-wielder nature talent.

No one has any other comments? Go buy Spheres of Power so you can argue with me!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just a point: Elemental Defense was updated from the version you seem to be using. Now it's a blanket bonus against acid, electricity, fire, and frost.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Meyers View Post
    Just a point: Elemental Defense was updated from the version you seem to be using. Now it's a blanket bonus against acid, electricity, fire, and frost.
    Huh, I've had the old doc open! Well, bother, now I need to recheck a bunch of stuff.

Also, thanks for reading. I'm planning on going through the questions thread for more quotes. If you have suggestions for a more 'monkish' build, let me know, since I've rated melee options pretty low thus far but would be glad to be proven wrong, even if it means redoing a big chunk of the handbook.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Added in dipping info regarding the expanded options classes. Might still need some refinement there, but the guide should be mostly set outside of sample builds. Fixed the noted issue with favored element/elemental defense and added a few more relevant feats, such as dervish dance and animal ally. Melee concepts come in two flavors now, magus-dip and natural attacking fire-wielder. If anyone has any archetype suggestions that would significantly impact any dips, I'm all ears.
    Last edited by stack; 2015-07-06 at 03:02 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

ElfRangerGuy

I think Sculpt Blast doesn't deserve red rating. CL*10ft cone is a huge area. CL*20ft line is 133% of first Extended Range.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Divine Protection is crap now. It's an immediate action 1/day instead of just passive.

On phone, so I can't link, but it's from the acg errata.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
    I think Sculpt Blast doesn't deserve red rating. CL*10ft cone is a huge area. CL*20ft line is 133% of first Extended Range.
    I'll take another look at the math, but given what you can do with orb and wall I don't think that the extra cost is warranted unless you fight lots of hordes. Even then a giant line is lousy. Compared to other advanced talents, it is terribly disappointing regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Divine Protection is crap now. It's an immediate action 1/day instead of just passive.

On phone, so I can't link, but it's from the acg errata.
    So I've heard, I will update. May have ready on the master offline doc and future guides will reflect the change.

14. - Top - End - #14

MindFlayer

How does the Elementalist compare to single-target damage dealers like gunslingers? The guide says they are actually better controllers than strikers?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

With current errata I am not sure what kind of damage numbers a gunslinger tops out at, but I expect it is higher that an elementalist, unless you get a horde to run through an acid wall, into an air wall, then get bounced back into the acid wall or stack expensive metamagic. Without te enemy cooperating by moving through an energy wall you can't hit with more than two destructive blasts in a round. Assuming a reasonable level 20 CL of 25 (just a +5 staff, minimum optimization), you can hit twice a round with energy sphere (ref negates), plus a quickened blast if really burning through the SP. This means you can bring the pain if not concerned about SP (quicken, maximize, empower). 25d6 maximized would be 150, 175 if using acid and counting the second round, while empower would boost that another 90 ish, +25 for acid, so ~290/ round single target going all out, hit twice for 580 if using energy sphere, plus a quickened blast for 90, costing 16 SP. so you actually can build to nova hard. I should update for that, but I don't reccomend burning half your SP in one fight.

Edit - forgot favored element, add another 90 to the total.

My destruction expansion next year will allow for better damage without ridiculous metamagic useage.
    Last edited by stack; 2015-11-19 at 01:50 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

A more reasonable number for level 20 would be spending 2 SP for an energy sphere with d6/level, which with your first favored element and the acid blast type averages 142.5 damage per hit and you can use it twice a round. You can easily keep using these all day. Average CR = character level critter is about 364 HP, so if all saves are failed and there are no resistances/immunities to speak of then you might drop 1/round.

17. - Top - End - #17

MindFlayer

If you're writing the destruction handbook, can I put in a request? I'd love a way to do more damage to a single target that actually rewards striking a single target. Something like:

Ray (Blast Shape)
    You may focus your blast into a ray that strikes a single target. You do an additional +2 damage per damage die.

+2 might be too much, but something that isn't yet another controller effect.

Also, I'd love some way to hit multiple targets that didn't allow a reflex save. Something like:

Forked Blast (Blast Shape)
    When you spend a spell point, you may fire a destructive blast that strikes two targets instead of one. You take a -2 penalty to the attack roll of each. The caster can fire on an additional target for every 5 cast levels, but each additional target adds a cumulative -2 penalty to all attack rolls.

I have no idea how to balance this, but you get the idea.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

As someone who has seen the WIP (and is letting him playtest it in a game), I can assure you single target is getting some fun toys.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Second part first: there is a shape inspired by the warlock's eldritch chain, so that is covered.

For single target damage, there isn't any shape specifically boosting single target damage, but I don't think anyone should find it insufficient in that regard. That said, a way to focus more damage in a single target is reasonable. It will be hard to walk the line between 'just use energy sphere instead' and 'BBQ'.

20. - Top - End - #20

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    For single target damage, there isn't any shape specifically boosting single target damage, but I don't think anyone should find it insufficient in that regard. That said, a way to focus more damage in a single target is reasonable. It will be hard to walk the line between 'just use energy sphere instead' and 'BBQ'.
    Well, energy sphere basically lets you do damage as a move action for a number of round for a cost of 1 point up front, with the disadvantage that it's reflex negates and you are limited to what targets you can pick. For a single target affect, you could have a 1 point cost up front that let's you 'sustain' the attack against that target as a move action, possibly requiring another hit roll and repeating the damage from the original blast? Visually, it would be like the Emperor's lightning attack from Return of the Jedi.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.Gibson View Post
    Well, energy sphere basically lets you do damage as a move action for a number of round for a cost of 1 point up front, with the disadvantage that it's reflex negates and you are limited to what targets you can pick. For a single target affect, you could have a 1 point cost up front that let's you 'sustain' the attack against that target as a move action, possibly requiring another hit roll and repeating the damage from the original blast? Visually, it would be like the Emperor's lightning attack from Return of the Jedi.
    How about a touch attack to create a tether on the target that you can auto hit with damage each round as a move? Because I have that! Energy tether is probably my favorite new shape and it gets an entire archetype that basically uses it to become spiderman.

22. - Top - End - #22

MindFlayer

How about a touch attack to create a tether on the target that you can auto hit with damage each round as a move? Because I have that! Energy tether is probably my favorite new shape and it gets an entire archetype that basically uses it to become spiderman.
    Awesome. When does this come out? I'm on the Patreon.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Sadly it is currently slated for the September release, but may get moved up depending on other releases. I am trying to wrap up some details then move to scrutinizing it before turning it in. Hope to have that done this year, then playtest and edit as needed.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/geomancer

Is this entry on the Geomancer complete? It seems like a bit of a bare-bones. I mean I guess Archetypes don't change to much but I was under the impression that the Geomancer had a lot of unique stuff about it.

I want to try playing as a Spherecaster before I buy anything and playing as a Earthbender seemed fun.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, the entry for Geomancer is complete. It is not a very complicated archetype.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Geomancer could probably be fleshed out more considering the metal geomancing options in geomancer's handbook, can't recall if I noted those in there. I haven't even gotten the Orrery back up to date, haven't touched this in ages. Might try to fix that in the next few weeks.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Geomancer could probably be fleshed out more considering the metal geomancing options in geomancer's handbook, can't recall if I noted those in there. I haven't even gotten the Orrery back up to date, haven't touched this in ages. Might try to fix that in the next few weeks.
    Right that's what I was thinking of. Is that just spell stuff? I think it might be covered by the Nature article in that case but I'm not sure if that's all of it.

http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/nature