New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Crack Pairings IV - You Can't Unread It

Wow. I'm really flattered and slightly intimidated by how much you guys like my story. I mean, yay, you like it! but at the same time, what's next? Somehow my RedcloakxIFCC Christmas story is seeming woefully inadequate.

Also, a quick question about my writing style. I have a tendency to put mild jokes/puns in stories, especially if the story is serious. You may not have noticed that I was attempting to joke, as I've a notoriously weird sense of humor, but is that appropriate, or do I need to restrain myself?

...And that is how I met your father.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseMuncher View Post
    Also, a quick question about my writing style. I have a tendency to put mild jokes/puns in stories, especially if the story is serious. You may not have noticed that I was attempting to joke, as I've a notoriously weird sense of humor, but is that appropriate, or do I need to restrain myself?
    You can't make crack without... something.

I did notice them, and it fits my sense of humour just fine. No restraining needed.
    This post may contain sarcasm.
    DeviantArt

3. - Top - End - #423
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanaril View Post
    You can't make crack without... something.
    Permanently deafening someone?

Ooh, ooh! Make one with Durkon and that guy. And remove the furry.

As in, shave both of them.

And has anyone noticed the last five crack pairings have been V/As? Not that several of them were really good, but...
    Last edited by silversaraph; 2009-12-14 at 08:04 PM.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's the way the other elf used V's own emotions against her; he didn't just rape her, he made her think it was her own fault. That not the same as hitting someone, or even killing someone in anger, it's a premeditated revenge solely for the sick satisfaction of the person doing it, and that person knows full well what they're doing is wrong. That the other elf even dared to pretend he had the moral high-ground while doing that is what makes me so angry.
    Then that means that I pulled off what I was trying to communicate. He actually planned out doing that. He lay awake at nights after crying for Aegidius, plotting what he would do to make his 'murderer' pay. Having her wander back to the scene of his death was like an early Christmas present. He knew that what he was doing was wrong, but he never felt bad for it. In his mind, Vaarsuvius needs to be taught a lesson, and what other way to teach a lesson to a 'smug, unruly, murdering bitch' than to dominate her in the most horrible way possible? He wishes that he could have choked her to death while or after he had done it, but he felt she would suffer more if he let her live. So, yeah, he's a horrible person who has a very refined sense of cruelty.

I'm also thinking of trying to imagine Reddy or Vaarsuvius confronting him as a brain/writing exercise. How do you think it'd go down?

Quote Originally Posted by silversaraph View Post
    And has anyone noticed the last five crack pairings have been V/As? Not that several of them were really good, but...
    I shall fix this!

I was working on a little writing stretch, and a story developed. Not sure how far I'm going to go with it, but here it is. I'll let you figure out the pairing for yourself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Every time he woke up, she was there.

She was human, so he was afraid at first. She never tried to kill him, but she was still human.

Whenever she looked up from the hearth she was tending, she would just smile mildly. Sometimes, she would even stand and brush her lips against his temple, murmuring something in a language that he did not understand.

When she first did it, he recoiled in disgust. How dare she, a human, kiss him? She only looked at him in mild confusion, shrugged, and went back to tending the hearth. He slipped back to unconsciousness again soon after.

The next time she did it, he wasn’t so shocked. With calmness came awareness. Her lips were soft and much warmer than any other’s, but he found the feeling pleasant. The first time he didn’t recoil from her touch, she smiled and wrapped the blankets a little tighter around him.

He didn’t know how long it worked like that. Her gentle healing during bouts of unconsciousness and chaste kisses between tending the hearth. He slipped in and out of consciousness and time became fluid. He prayed to his god to protect him, but he never received a response. Eventually, he gave up.

The human women always kept up her quiet vigil.

---

When he first was able to see further than two feet in front of him, he stood up from his bed. He promptly fell down.

The woman immediately was by his side, clucking softly, and slipped his arm over her shoulder, helping him up.

“Thank you… whoever you are.”

He didn’t think that she understood him, but her smile said that she understood the tone. She helped him back into his bed, but he stayed sitting up, excited to examine his immediate surroundings for the first time in who-knew how long.

His eyes jumped everywhere. The room he had been sleeping in was red and black with a hearth and three beds, his included. Simple and rather anticlimactic after such a long time wondering. When he looked closely at the woman who had tended to him with such care, he had a pause.

Now that he saw her, she didn’t seem particularly… human. Definitely of the human species if one merely looked at obvious aesthetics, but there was something about her distinctly non-human.

Her hair was curly and blond, falling just past her shoulders. Her eyes were gentle and blue. Her face seemed perpetually blushing with the heat of the fire she was constantly tending. Her skin seemed to glow gold.

He was a little afraid, but her smile soothed him.

The other beds made him curious. He had to squint to see them clearly—his eyesight was still bad, for some reason, and he saw that someone was curled up under the blankets in each one. He glanced at the woman, the question obvious in his eyes.

She shrugged, smiled, and touched the blankets of one of the neighboring beds lightly.

---

He was practicing walking when he heard a groan from the bed next to him. His grip on his own bedpost was tight as he looked over at the covers with interest. The woman looked up from the hearth, eyes looking as though they were glowing from an inner light.

Another woman, definitely pure human, pushed back the covers, black hair messy and ragged, skin sweaty. Her eyes were clouded with the fever he was only just recovering from, her dry lips moving over and over again, a mere rasp escaping them. “Soon… Soon… Soon…”

He warily edged towards the bed. The glowing non-human woman watched him, eyes mild and unassuming, as he tentatively knelt by the moaning human.

He wanted to recoil from her. She was human. She was dangerous. She was one of the people who beat him down and took everything away from him. She was one of the people who chased him down with fire and who left him with all those scars on his stomach and who killed his family…

She was also sick, and the blond human-looking-non-human had tended to him. Couldn’t he be just as kind and merciful and provide some sort of tenderness for this ill woman? How was he any better than humans if he left a sick woman to die just because of her species?

He shifted a little so he was leaning on his hands. He slowly picked up the soft cloth in a basin filled with water that the non-human woman at the hearth kept there and gently dabbed the black-haired human’s sweaty brow. She let out a pitiful moan, eyes rolling slightly to look at him, but he wasn’t sure if she could see him through the thick fever-induced film over her pupils. “…Soon? Darling?”

She knew Common.

He wouldn’t lie; it felt wonderful to be with someone who he could understand.

He forgot she was human for a moment, wiping her brow again gently and smiling. “Soon? Don’t worry; you’ll be back with him soon.”

He realized belatedly that he didn’t know that. The last he remembered before his fever was falling into a weird blue and purple portal thing with a chicken.

What ever happened to that chicken?

The woman let out another soft moan and her eyes closed. She was unconscious again.

---

It was a long time before the woman regained awareness of her surroundings.

It started when he was by her bed, dabbing her forehead again and cooling her down. Her eyes were half-closed, filmed over as usual, and her messy hair stuck to her face, sticky with sweat.

The film in her eyes thinned for a moment and very briefly, their gazes met.

The woman immediately jerked back, eyes rolling with fear, breath coming in quick gasps. “Goblin!”

His response was instinctive. His cleric’s instinct clashed with his goblin’s instinct, but in the face of the woman’s illness, the cleric won. He reached out, touching her shoulders, and smiled in the most calming way he could. “Don’t get excited. You’re really sick.”

“You’re… a goblin…”

“I know. You’re a human.”

The black-haired woman didn’t resist it when he gently pushed her back on the bed. “Goblin…”

“Yeah. Don’t worry—it’s really unpleasant, but you’ll get better. I have the same thing, but my fever’s already broken.” He put the cloth in the water and drew her covers over her shivering body. “Try to keep your body temperature up—it’s trying to kill whatever’s got you sick.”

“Goblin… where’s… Soon?”

“Soon?” He smiled sympathetically. Had he been in this situation before the illness, he would have left the woman to suffer her feverish hallucinations, but his time sick and under the tender care of the non-human-human woman admittedly made him feel more empathetic. “Is Soon your husband?”

She nodded slowly, sweat trickling down the side of her face.

“I don’t know where he is. When I started recovering from whatever we have, you were already here. No one else who speaks Common is around.” He tentatively patted her hand. “You’re sweating. That probably means that your fever’s breaking.”

“Name?”

One of his ears perked a little in surprise.

“Your name… want… name…”

The woman blindly clutched his arm, fingers digging hard into his skin. He winced in surprise, his heart skipping a beat from fear, and he quickly reminded himself that this human was not going to kill him.

“I’m Yutrin.” He tentatively touched the woman’s hand. “Who’re you?”

“I’m… Mijung…”

Her hand fell away from his arm and she fell unconscious again.

The non-human woman at the hearth looked up and smiled mildly.

---

After that, Mijung’s recovery came quickly.

Before Yutrin knew it, she was impatiently trying to walk without support, and he found that he had to catch her several times. Each time she would twist a little in his grip, but she would never struggle enough so that he dropped her. The non-human woman rarely stood up anymore, content to allow the goblin cleric handle Mijung’s recovery, though she often glanced up to make sure that they did not need help. He missed the feel of her lips against his temple, though he’d rather die than to admit to it.

He never initiated conversation with Mijung. Though it was nice to hear someone speak Common again, he never forgot that she was human. He knew that she posed no threat in her condition, but he was afraid. He had a feeling that she sensed his fear. Soon after her first return to sensibility, she started giving him smiles. Never a touch—that would terrify him and disgust her—but she would always be willing to smile.

“So. You’re Yutrin.”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“Do you have any idea where we are?”

“None. I haven’t been outside of this room since I recovered from the same fever you had.”

“What’s the last thing you remember, then?”

“Getting eaten by a pink and purple rift in the sky. With a chicken.”

“…You know, usually I’d laugh, but that’s pretty much
    my story. Minus the chicken part, of course.”

A curious look.

“You really don’t want to know why I had a chicken. Don’t ask.”

Then the last of the patients started to groan.

---

Mijung and Yutrin were tender in their care of the last patient. Yutrin carried the kindness the non-human had shown him, and Mijung carried the nursing he had done for her.

They couldn’t exactly understand the patient very well. He murmured in chopped up Common and Dwarven, never quite stringing together a proper sentence, and he would all too often be seized by convulsions.

“Do you think that he’s going to make it?”

“He has to.”

Yutrin felt more and more frustrated with his lack of healing spells. The Dark One hadn’t answered his prayers once since he had awoken. Mijung was understanding, though, and told him that he did well enough without his magic.

Though both had to privately admit that their patient was a strange one. A dark-skinned dwarf with blond hair, a braided beard, and a battle ax against his bed. Yutrin was terrified of the ax. What if the dwarf woke up one day fully sensible and cut off his head?

“You don’t have to be so nervous. We’re all civilized here.”

“Civilization has nothing to do with it. You don’t know what it’s like to spend your whole life knowing that, if anyone without green skin and pointy teeth find you, you’re going to be murdered.”

After a few days, Mijung dragged away the ax and hid it under her mattress, ready to be given back to their patient once he had a full grip on the world around him.

The non-human woman contentedly tended to the fire.

Thoughts?

Spoiler
    Show

The April Squickies Award for Best Crack Pairing Story

Thank you so much to Kaytara for the avatar! It's of Redcloak's and Vaarsuvius's love child.

5. - Top - End - #425

I has a confession.

*hangs head low*

I do not read V/RC.

*prepares for stoning and beatings*

I just never got around to it, seeing how awesomely long they are. *raises little shield*
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #426
    Colossus in the Playground

So that's the snarl world?

But who's the non-human woman?

7. - Top - End - #427
    Bugbear in the Playground

....I'm suddenly happy after reading that, but I don't know why.
    Doliest's crimes against good taste
    Spoiler
    Show

An Uwe Boll fan, and proud of it. LONG LIVE THE BOLL!

Also a Michael Bay fan.

Likes Jar Jar

Likes FATAL..... No, I'm sorry, but no. Everything else on this list? I like, but while I've done many horrible things in my life, I WILL NOT claim to like FATAL.

Let's Playing Final Fantasy with extreme prejudice

Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    Forgive me, Mr Tolkien. You do not deserve what I now do to you.

8. - Top - End - #428

Quote Originally Posted by Water-Smurf View Post
    Thoughts?
    Uh... who?
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2009-12-14 at 08:54 PM.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

9. - Top - End - #429

What?
    Spoiler
    Show

Also a Michael Bay fan.

Likes Jar Jar

Likes FATAL..... No, I'm sorry, but no. Everything else on this list? I like, but while I've done many horrible things in my life, I WILL NOT claim to like FATAL.

10. - Top - End - #430

I'm guessing the non-human woman is one of the Greek/Roman gods?

11. - Top - End - #431
    Dwarf in the Playground

The human woman always kept up her quiet vigil.

Also, yeah, I'm confused.

Also #2:

Sorry. I really suck at story things.
    Last edited by Saeyan; 2009-12-14 at 10:05 PM.

I draw pictures:

(haven't been updated in a while and you can read the comic here)

12. - Top - End - #432
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mm, I think a little levity is usually a good thing. Nothing in your story really ruined the serious tone, though honestly I can't remember any specific instances of jokes in it (maybe I failed my humor check, or I just don't remember them because they were subtle).

Using the appropriate amount of humor and not having it fall flat is something I worry about constantly as well. I mean, currently I'm writing Roy, who often makes sarcastic or snarky comments, and I wonder if I've been getting it right or if the jokes are just failing to make anyone laugh.

Ugh, I should really write another chapter. Stupid work. Stupid finals.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BatRobin View Post
    I just never got around to it, seeing how awesomely long they are. *raises little shield*
    They're not that long. (Says the person who has read 100k+ word long fics in one sitting.)

Mostly they're just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Saeyan View Post
    I think you've got the idea; teary-eyed and lots of reminiscing about V.

I'm also thinking of trying to imagine Reddy or Vaarsuvius confronting him as a brain/writing exercise. How do you think it'd go down?
    Explosively?
    You know no one's as good as you at understanding your characters...

As always, a lot would depend on the circumstances. Before the whole soul-splice shenanigans - before the dead Azurites - I think V would have be able to deal with it. Most likely with a well-placed Fireball, although possibly by just walking away from the situation. But right now I don't think V's self-confidence is quite up to surviving such a blatent reminder of what happened. She's slowly getting there with RC's help, but it's slow progress and could easily be shattered again. From the way the illusions about the dying elf affected her, I'd guess she still hasn't got over that, although I hope that she now realizes that none of it was really her fault.

Whether or not the other elf has changed at all in the meantime would also affect things. It's hard to make a judgement about him from that short section, whether or not it was a one-time thing he regretted doing later, or whether he was just a horrible elf teenager who grew up to be an equally horrible adult. If it's the latter he'd almost certainly try to break V down again, and even just a few hurtful comments could have a bad effect.

If Reddy met him, knowing what happened, then the elf would just find himself on the wrong end of a Disintegrate. RC doesn't seem the type to have qualms about killing people, especially if he thinks they deserve it.
    Last edited by Zanaril; 2009-12-15 at 01:30 PM.
    This post may contain sarcasm.
    DeviantArt

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

Saeyan's got the right idea. Considering that Tiasal has V's hair, something like him only seeing her from the back and just freezing with shock would be obligatory. :D

I liked your recent story, Water-Smurf. You like writing goblins, right? :D
    Yet all forms of love have a sexual undertone, whether or not one's willing to acknowledge it. That's just how the chemicals in our brains work. Oxytocin causes bonding and love, but it is also the chemical that causes a want for sexual intimacy. Freud was right when he said that all boys, at least on some subconscious level, want their mothers, but it goes deeper than that. If anyone loves anyone else, even if they aren't aware of it, a part of them wants physical intimacy. (I really should stop reading The Hite Report...)
    Hm... If that's the only piece of evidence, then I don't really agree with your conclusions.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sexual love/desire is pretty specific, it's the pull to someone specific who you want to reproduce with. The same chemical being responsible for other similar (in their working mechanisms) responses is a very long way from saying that all of those responses share the 'reproductive urge' quality of the sexual response.

As an analogy, according to Wikipedia.... "Endorphins [...] are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates during strenuous exercise, excitement, pain, consumption of spicy food and orgasm, and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a feeling of well-being. Endorphins work as "natural pain relievers.""

So they're released in a variety of somewhat similar conditions (physical strain of some sort), but that's a long way from saying that exercise and pain are forms of orgasm. Or at least, if you DO say that, it's a completely meaningless statement. Similarly, falling in love and being in love is, biochemically, actually just an addiction to endogenically released amphetamines and endorphines, respectively. So the statement "Love is an addiction", while correct, doesn't really give us anything interesting to work with. It's intriguing on a superficial level, but nothing about it changes our practical approach to the situation. And that's how I see the "All love is sexual love" statement. You can say that all love has something in common with sexual love, namely the responsible chemical, but where does that get us?

That said, if there's more to it than just the chemical, I'd be very interested in hearing it. :)
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

15. - Top - End - #435

Quote Originally Posted by doliest View Post
    ....I'm suddenly happy after reading that, but I don't know why.
    That's good. I'm hoping that this may be a little more happy. (Actually, considering the way it's developing in my head, it won't be. But I hope to keep the happy feeling going.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    Uh... who?
    Which who?

Quote Originally Posted by Saeyan View Post
    Also, yeah, I'm confused.
    Don't worry. You should be right now. ^.^

What were the first two scenarios, exactly?

From the way the illusions about the dying elf affected her, I'd guess she still hasn't got over that, although I hope that she now realizes that none of it was really her fault.
    Vaarsuvius, once she feels she is responsible for something, very rarely changes her mind. It's the same with the elf.

She still thinks that she deserved what the teenager did to her.

Whether or not the other elf has changed at all in the meantime would also affect things. It's hard to make a judgement about him from that short section, whether or not it was a one-time thing he regretted doing later, or whether he was just a horrible elf teenager who grew up to be an equally horrible adult. If it's the latter he'd almost certainly try to break V down again, and even just a few hurtful comments could have a bad effect.
    He didn't feel bad for doing it later and he'd gladly do it again, but he wouldn't do it to someone else. He sees it as a punishment she deserves for 'killing' his best friend. He's dependent on this idea that there is someone to be blamed for the death of Aegidius besides Aegidius himself--if it's Aegidius's fault, then that means that he deliberately left his best friend alone. If it's Vaarsuvius's fault, then he doesn't need to be angry at anyone he loves and he can punish someone.

He still hates Vaarsuvius and would gladly hurt her again.

If Reddy met him, knowing what happened, then the elf would just find himself on the wrong end of a Disintegrate. RC idoesn't seem the type to have qualms about killing people, especially if he thinks they deserve it.
    It would probably be a spell a little less clean than Disintegrate, but yes, I doubt Reddy would have any problem killing him. ("Excuse me, do you know Vaarsuvius?" "Yes, she's the bitch that killed my best friend." "That must have made you angry. Did you punish her for that?" "Yeah. Made sure she got what she deserved." "She's my wife." "...Oh sh--" *ZAP!*)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    I liked your recent story, Water-Smurf. You like writing goblins, right? :D
    I don't know how they keep sneaking in! I like the elves!

But goblins are fun to work with. The ones I write have a tendency to be sweethearts. (You know, you probably wouldn't immediately think 'Sweetheart!' when you look at Redcloak...) Did I manage to pull that off with Yutrin? I have no idea what I'm writing him as at this point.

Hm... If that's the only piece of evidence, then I don't really agree with your conclusions.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sexual love/desire is pretty specific, it's the pull to someone specific who you want to reproduce with. The same chemical being responsible for other similar (in their working mechanisms) responses is a very long way from saying that all of those responses share the 'reproductive urge' quality of the sexual response.

As an analogy, according to Wikipedia.... "Endorphins [...] are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates during strenuous exercise, excitement, pain, consumption of spicy food and orgasm, and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a feeling of well-being. Endorphins work as "natural pain relievers.""

So they're released in a variety of somewhat similar conditions (physical strain of some sort), but that's a long way from saying that exercise and pain are forms of orgasm. Or at least, if you DO say that, it's a completely meaningless statement. Similarly, falling in love and being in love is, biochemically, actually just an addiction to endogenically released amphetamines and endorphines, respectively. So the statement "Love is an addiction", while correct, doesn't really give us anything interesting to work with. It's intriguing on a superficial level, but nothing about it changes our practical approach to the situation. And that's how I see the "All love is sexual love" statement. You can say that all love has something in common with sexual love, namely the responsible chemical, but where does that get us?

That said, if there's more to it than just the chemical, I'd be very interested in hearing it. :)
    The chemical is the only physical evidence. (Too much oxytocin in the brain is apparently one of the main causes for parent-on-child incest.) The psychological evidence goes further.

Warning: Some of the sources I refer to are a little graphic, but I'm doing my best to detail them in the most tasteful manner possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Making love rather than having sex, especially in the days when we don't want children, is more about intimacy and being connected than it is for pleasure. It has the potential of being a deeply spiritual and bonding experience. At a certain point, sex isn't about lust anymore and it's about wanting to express your feelings for someone.

If love runs deep enough, you want to express it. With the ties society puts on us, it is difficult to do it in a physical way. We can give flowers, sing songs, have dinners together, but it lacks the satisfaction one feels with some physical expression, like with a hug or kiss. I think it would be wrong to say that all love is sexual--I should have phrased that better--but I think that all love inspires a desire for intimacy, and that intimacy oftentimes can involve a desire for making love at the very least in a subconscious level. For example, in the Hite Report, several parents (equal ratios of mothers and fathers) sent letters saying that they felt the desire to 'make love' to their children (I found it creepy at first too, but hear me out). They all said that it wasn't sex they wanted, but some way of showing their kids how much they love them. (I'm a little unsettled by what this reveals about love, personally: kids can be damaged by sexual intimacy whether it's for pleasure or love.) More and more letters amount to the same conclusion, only about different members of the family--children expressed a desire for physical intimacy with their parents, siblings expressed a desire for physical intimacy with their siblings, and so on.

Sometimes this love is expressed (and desire for intimacy met) by things like communal showering (families bond over it sometimes, but Vaarsuvius didn't respond so well) or touching (there were many letters about people remembering being nursed by their mothers or touching/being touched in non-sexual yet sensual manners) or nursing or whatever. It would only take a slightly different personality or response to a need for intimacy to want to express love through sex, even if the love isn't romantic. (For example, one of the letters details a sister, ah, rubbing her brother and how the experience drew them together.) I'm pretty sure that it would be against the rules to quote any of the stuff I'm referring to, but if you like, I can tell you which page and which book...

In short, it wouldn't be so far-fetched for Aarindarius to desire sexual intimacy with a girl he sees as a daughter because he wants to express love.
    Last edited by Water-Smurf; 2009-12-15 at 01:17 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Thank you so much to Kaytara for the avatar! It's of Redcloak's and Vaarsuvius's love child.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Oxytocin is a key player in mating and bonding behavior, but there are others that are also important. Vasopressin, in particular is interesting.

Spoiler
    Show
    These chemicals have been strongly linked to socially monogamous pair bonding in prairie voles. Some species of prairie voles form socially monogamous pair bonds following sexual behavior. The pair bonds can be interrupted by injecting chemicals that interfere with oxytocin and vasopressin. The chemicals do not interfere with sexual behavior. The chemicals interefere with the normal activity of oxytocin and vasopressin and thereby prevent the formation of pair bonds. Conversely, injecting chemicals that increase the activity of oxytocin and vasopressin causes monogamous pair bonds to form more easily. Increasing the activity of oxytocin and vasopressin can lead to pair bonding without the need for sexual behavior. Studies have also compared species of prairie voles that form socially monogamous pair bonds versus species of prairie voles that do not form socially monogamous pair bonds. The brains of species that form socially monogamous pair bonds contain more neurons that are more sensitive to oxytocin and vasopressin. (This is because the neurons contain more receptors, or chemical "docking ports," for oxytocin and vasopressin.) The findings of many studies have consistently shown that oxytocin and vasopressin play a critical role in socially monogamous pair bonding in prairie voles.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

17. - Top - End - #437

Which who?
    All of them.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

18. - Top - End - #438

Christmas crack. Yay! Tis the season and all that so here's mine, inspired by a Christmas song, in fact (if a rather depressing one). I call it:

A Winter's Tale
    Spoiler
    Show
    The nights are colder now.
    Maybe I should close the door,
    And anyway the snow has covered all your footsteps
    I can follow you no more.
    The fire still burns at night,
    My memories are warm and clear;
    But everybody knows it's hard to be alone
    At this time of year.

How coincidental that this very song should come on as I stare after you through the falling snow, obscuring you from my sight and filling in your footprints as effectively as if you hadn’t stepped there just a moment before. I know that losing you should hurt, and will, but for now there is just the spreading anaesthesia of shock. My only hope is that you never look back on our time together as a waste; I wouldn’t swap it for the world. I remember when we first met, all those years ago in high school.

X X X

“Man this Christmas party is so lame-ass, not even any hotties.”

“That being your only definition of a ‘good’ party, usually I wouldn’t agree with you but it does seem rather dull. Maybe we should get another drink.”

“I don’t know when we’re drunk you always go for the real charity cases.”

“I do not.”

“You do so, remember the last one? Eurgh...”

“Hey guys, look.” That’s one of the pros of having three heads, even with two of them arguing the third can still keep an eye out. We turned and saw her. A vision in green scales with five heads, I swear we were drooling.

“Hey, did it hurt when you fell from heaven?” Urgh, and that’s one of the reasons I hate having three heads. I could have cheerfully killed him right there, but instead I just used the foot closest to him to hold his mouth closed.

“I'm so sorry.” I began “Please just ignore him, he’s my stupid head.”

She had turned two of her heads towards us; the other three were still scanning the room and feigning indifference, and looked us up and down. Hoping she liked what she saw my third head queried shyly;

“Might I ask for your name?”

One of her other heads nudged her and she turned to look.

“Excuse me I see someone waving.” And she walked away.

“Wow.” “Indeed.” “Mmph mmm.”

“Oh sorry.” I said and released him.

“Man she’s hot. We totally have to get her name.” Going up to the nearest individual and asking them seemed to be the best plan, so we did.

“Hey, who’s the hydra?” we asked a passing dracolisk.

“Who? Oh that’s Stacey. Good luck with her mate!” he laughed “I hear that half the student population is trying to catch her eye.”

We watched her from a distance for the rest of the night.

The next year we were at the same lame party, just hoping to see her again.

“Sure, she’s hot but even I can see that this is a bit sad.”

“Shut up.” I snarled at him “Don’t even try to pretend that you don’t feel the same way about her so just shut up.”

“Guys,” whispered our third head “she’s here.”

Random Brownian movement of students had created a clear path between us. Not having seen her again since last year I realised my memory had not done her any justice. She was so beautiful our heart ached. She noticed us and smiled and I glanced down involuntarily to make sure our legs were still where they should have and we weren’t just a puddle on the floor. Oh god, she was coming towards us. I just had time to hiss quickly to the other two to try and not say anything stupid then she was in front of us.

“Hi.” She said, surprisingly shyly.

“Em, hi.” I managed to stutter.

“I was just wondering if, maybe sometime, you wanted to, you know, go out, maybe?”

I knew that all three jaws dropped open at that. Go out? What happened between last Christmas and now that changed her mind so dramatically? She wouldn’t even give us her name last year.

“Um, sure. I’d, we’d, like that.”

X X X

Of course it wasn’t till later, after we had become an established couple, that she told us she had been so startled by our first approach that her only thought had been escape. Over the rest of the year she had been kicking herself about the missed opportunity and vowed to ask us out if we were at the party again. The rest, as they say, is history. All through high school and university we were inseparable, until tonight.

X X X

“A toast!” I proposed, lifting my glass. “To a wonderful Christmas and an exciting new year!”

“The year ahead.” She echoed. Suddenly she looked a little guilty. “Actually, I wanted to talk to you about that.” She was playing with her claws, a sure sign she was nervous. “I got a job offer; it starts at the beginning of the year.”

“Really? But that’s brilliant!”

“The only thing is I'll have to relocate.”

“Where?”

“The Sunken Valley.”

It was as if I had just swallowed a lead ball.

“But that’s so far away.”

“I know but it’s what I want to do.”

“And that is?”

She cringed slightly, like she knew I wouldn’t like the answer. Oh god, what was it?

“A test for adventurers visiting the Oracle.”

“WHAT!?” I sprang to my feet “Are you mad? Have you taken leave of your senses? Actually putting yourself in the path of adventurers, to whom you are no more than XP I might add! Do I mean nothing to you? Also that Oracle is such a lech...

“Where do you get off lecturing me?” she shouted back, also on her feet. “You, like you haven’t already decided to work for some evil lich as some faceless mook. Oh no, you’re bound to not meet any adventurers there. This is what I want to do, don’t deny me that.”

“I...I don’t think I can let you do this.”

“You don’t need to let me do anything, Trigak! It’s my life!” and she was gone, trudging through the snow.

X X X

Maybe monsters aren’t meant to love.

I'm not entirely happy with it but when am I ever happy with my stories...

Thoughts?
    Avatar by me...yup that's how good my drawing is. As in not very good.

Crack-Pairings, Not Dead Just Moved. Someone Hasn't Been Looking In The Right Places.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleniel View Post
    Taekwondodo - your nick and your avatar are terrific. I want to award you something... how about enough melons to see you through the next ice age?

19. - Top - End - #439
    Banned

For some reason i LOL'ed at that last line.

Let's see here...

This is going to take a while

20. - Top - End - #440

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    All of them.
    Yutrin is (minor SoD spoiler)
    Spoiler
    Show
    the name I have given to the goblin cleric who first found the Snarl and fell into it when trying to see what it was by sending a live chicken through it. This brought the Snarl to the Dark One's attention.

Mijung is Soon Kim's dead/unmade wife.

The dwarf is Kraagor.

The non-human woman is a mystery.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #441
    Orc in the Playground

I was working on a little writing stretch, and a story developed. Not sure how far I'm going to go with it, but here it is. I'll let you figure out the pairing for yourself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Every time he woke up, she was there.

She was human, so he was afraid at first. She never tried to kill him, but she was still human.

Whenever she looked up from the hearth she was tending, she would just smile mildly. Sometimes, she would even stand and brush her lips against his temple, murmuring something in a language that he did not understand.

When she first did it, he recoiled in disgust. How dare she, a human, kiss him? She only looked at him in mild confusion, shrugged, and went back to tending the hearth. He slipped back to unconsciousness again soon after.

The next time she did it, he wasn’t so shocked. With calmness came awareness. Her lips were soft and much warmer than any other’s, but he found the feeling pleasant. The first time he didn’t recoil from her touch, she smiled and wrapped the blankets a little tighter around him.

He didn’t know how long it worked like that. Her gentle healing during bouts of unconsciousness and chaste kisses between tending the hearth. He slipped in and out of consciousness and time became fluid. He prayed to his god to protect him, but he never received a response. Eventually, he gave up.

The human women always kept up her quiet vigil.

---

When he first was able to see further than two feet in front of him, he stood up from his bed. He promptly fell down.

The woman immediately was by his side, clucking softly, and slipped his arm over her shoulder, helping him up.

“Thank you… whoever you are.”

He didn’t think that she understood him, but her smile said that she understood the tone. She helped him back into his bed, but he stayed sitting up, excited to examine his immediate surroundings for the first time in who-knew how long.

His eyes jumped everywhere. The room he had been sleeping in was red and black with a hearth and three beds, his included. Simple and rather anticlimactic after such a long time wondering. When he looked closely at the woman who had tended to him with such care, he had a pause.

Now that he saw her, she didn’t seem particularly… human. Definitely of the human species if one merely looked at obvious aesthetics, but there was something about her distinctly non-human.

Her hair was curly and blond, falling just past her shoulders. Her eyes were gentle and blue. Her face seemed perpetually blushing with the heat of the fire she was constantly tending. Her skin seemed to glow gold.

He was a little afraid, but her smile soothed him.

The other beds made him curious. He had to squint to see them clearly—his eyesight was still bad, for some reason, and he saw that someone was curled up under the blankets in each one. He glanced at the woman, the question obvious in his eyes.

She shrugged, smiled, and touched the blankets of one of the neighboring beds lightly.

---

He was practicing walking when he heard a groan from the bed next to him. His grip on his own bedpost was tight as he looked over at the covers with interest. The woman looked up from the hearth, eyes looking as though they were glowing from an inner light.

Another woman, definitely pure human, pushed back the covers, black hair messy and ragged, skin sweaty. Her eyes were clouded with the fever he was only just recovering from, her dry lips moving over and over again, a mere rasp escaping them. “Soon… Soon… Soon…”

He warily edged towards the bed. The glowing non-human woman watched him, eyes mild and unassuming, as he tentatively knelt by the moaning human.

He wanted to recoil from her. She was human. She was dangerous. She was one of the people who beat him down and took everything away from him. She was one of the people who chased him down with fire and who left him with all those scars on his stomach and who killed his family…

She was also sick, and the blond human-looking-non-human had tended to him. Couldn’t he be just as kind and merciful and provide some sort of tenderness for this ill woman? How was he any better than humans if he left a sick woman to die just because of her species?

He shifted a little so he was leaning on his hands. He slowly picked up the soft cloth in a basin filled with water that the non-human woman at the hearth kept there and gently dabbed the black-haired human’s sweaty brow. She let out a pitiful moan, eyes rolling slightly to look at him, but he wasn’t sure if she could see him through the thick fever-induced film over her pupils. “…Soon? Darling?”

She knew Common.

He wouldn’t lie; it felt wonderful to be with someone who he could understand.

He forgot she was human for a moment, wiping her brow again gently and smiling. “Soon? Don’t worry; you’ll be back with him soon.”

He realized belatedly that he didn’t know that. The last he remembered before his fever was falling into a weird blue and purple portal thing with a chicken.

What ever happened to that chicken?

The woman let out another soft moan and her eyes closed. She was unconscious again.

---

It was a long time before the woman regained awareness of her surroundings.

It started when he was by her bed, dabbing her forehead again and cooling her down. Her eyes were half-closed, filmed over as usual, and her messy hair stuck to her face, sticky with sweat.

The film in her eyes thinned for a moment and very briefly, their gazes met.

The woman immediately jerked back, eyes rolling with fear, breath coming in quick gasps. “Goblin!”

His response was instinctive. His cleric’s instinct clashed with his goblin’s instinct, but in the face of the woman’s illness, the cleric won. He reached out, touching her shoulders, and smiled in the most calming way he could. “Don’t get excited. You’re really sick.”

“You’re… a goblin…”

“I know. You’re a human.”

The black-haired woman didn’t resist it when he gently pushed her back on the bed. “Goblin…”

“Yeah. Don’t worry—it’s really unpleasant, but you’ll get better. I have the same thing, but my fever’s already broken.” He put the cloth in the water and drew her covers over her shivering body. “Try to keep your body temperature up—it’s trying to kill whatever’s got you sick.”

“Goblin… where’s… Soon?”

“Soon?” He smiled sympathetically. Had he been in this situation before the illness, he would have left the woman to suffer her feverish hallucinations, but his time sick and under the tender care of the non-human-human woman admittedly made him feel more empathetic. “Is Soon your husband?”

She nodded slowly, sweat trickling down the side of her face.

“I don’t know where he is. When I started recovering from whatever we have, you were already here. No one else who speaks Common is around.” He tentatively patted her hand. “You’re sweating. That probably means that your fever’s breaking.”

“Name?”

One of his ears perked a little in surprise.

“Your name… want… name…”

The woman blindly clutched his arm, fingers digging hard into his skin. He winced in surprise, his heart skipping a beat from fear, and he quickly reminded himself that this human was not going to kill him.

“I’m Yutrin.” He tentatively touched the woman’s hand. “Who’re you?”

“I’m… Mijung…”

Her hand fell away from his arm and she fell unconscious again.

The non-human woman at the hearth looked up and smiled mildly.

---

After that, Mijung’s recovery came quickly.

Before Yutrin knew it, she was impatiently trying to walk without support, and he found that he had to catch her several times. Each time she would twist a little in his grip, but she would never struggle enough so that he dropped her. The non-human woman rarely stood up anymore, content to allow the goblin cleric handle Mijung’s recovery, though she often glanced up to make sure that they did not need help. He missed the feel of her lips against his temple, though he’d rather die than to admit to it.

He never initiated conversation with Mijung. Though it was nice to hear someone speak Common again, he never forgot that she was human. He knew that she posed no threat in her condition, but he was afraid. He had a feeling that she sensed his fear. Soon after her first return to sensibility, she started giving him smiles. Never a touch—that would terrify him and disgust her—but she would always be willing to smile.

“So. You’re Yutrin.”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“Do you have any idea where we are?”

“None. I haven’t been outside of this room since I recovered from the same fever you had.”

“What’s the last thing you remember, then?”

“Getting eaten by a pink and purple rift in the sky. With a chicken.”

“…You know, usually I’d laugh, but that’s pretty much
    my story. Minus the chicken part, of course.”

A curious look.

“You really don’t want to know why I had a chicken. Don’t ask.”

Then the last of the patients started to groan.

---

Mijung and Yutrin were tender in their care of the last patient. Yutrin carried the kindness the non-human had shown him, and Mijung carried the nursing he had done for her.

They couldn’t exactly understand the patient very well. He murmured in chopped up Common and Dwarven, never quite stringing together a proper sentence, and he would all too often be seized by convulsions.

“Do you think that he’s going to make it?”

“He has to.”

Yutrin felt more and more frustrated with his lack of healing spells. The Dark One hadn’t answered his prayers once since he had awoken. Mijung was understanding, though, and told him that he did well enough without his magic.

Though both had to privately admit that their patient was a strange one. A dark-skinned dwarf with blond hair, a braided beard, and a battle ax against his bed. Yutrin was terrified of the ax. What if the dwarf woke up one day fully sensible and cut off his head?

“You don’t have to be so nervous. We’re all civilized here.”

“Civilization has nothing to do with it. You don’t know what it’s like to spend your whole life knowing that, if anyone without green skin and pointy teeth find you, you’re going to be murdered.”

After a few days, Mijung dragged away the ax and hid it under her mattress, ready to be given back to their patient once he had a full grip on the world around him.

The non-human woman contentedly tended to the fire.

Thoughts?

I was really confused at the start, but as I read more details I was like "Oh. oohhh... OHHHH...." I was scanning my brain for the third person killed by the snarl, at the end.

Great story, but where's mah crack?
    Last edited by silversaraph; 2009-12-15 at 08:21 PM.

22. - Top - End - #442

Quote Originally Posted by silversaraph View Post
    Great story, but where's mah crack?
    Obviously, they were all in love with the Snarl and you just weren't looking close enough.

23. - Top - End - #443

Unfortunately I've finished my Snarl X O-chul X Haley and I
    A. Couldn't work in snow and
    B. This story is utter ****.

Spoiler
    Show

“Well….this is unexpected.” O-chul stated calmly, staring around the vast white void that was apparently The Snarl’s realm. He had had the misfortune to be launched in here by The Lich alongside the recently captured Ms. Starshine.

“You mean the fact that it’s a feature less plain or that we’re both not dead yet?”

“Both.” O-chul responded. He finally looked over to his…ally? Cell-mate, if this could be considered a jail? Yes, Cell-mate should work fine for this, O-chul decided. He finally took notice of his Cell-mate and realized she looked….attractive? Yes that would be the correct word, attractive. He found this rather strange that he was attracted to her so suddenly considering his utter lack of familiarity with her.

“Hello? O-chul?”

Really her fiery-red hair was amazing, he really had a hard time stopping himself from reaching out and grabbing it. He also noted that her eyes were a delicious looking chocolate brown; he really was getting lost in those eyes.

“What’s the matter O-chul? Snarl got your tongue?”

That outfit was almost to much to bear; it was beautiful in everyway, just like her. He really felt himself loosing his mind being close to her….wait; since when was he this easily swayed by a pretty-so beautiful-NO, he was a paladin he didn’t lose his composure so easily he shouldn’t b-almost want to reach out and k- this wasn’t normal. This WAS NOT normal. This had to be-

“O-chul? Are you stil-” He wasn’t sure what Ms. Starshine was about to say; and quite frankly he doubted she did anymore because they both suddenly found themselves at each other’s mouths. They quickly wrapped their arms around each other and embraced passionately for several minutes.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________

Unbeknownst to either O-chul or Haley, a creature of chaos and disorder was watching from afar. It had been ready to attack them to release some of it’s frustrations…but they reacted differently to it’s realm than most had. They had not screamed or cried; they had started radiating strange emotions it had never felt before and for the first time in it’s ancient existence, it felt the anger ebb away to be replaced. It didn’t know what this strange….feeling was, but it felt warm in it’s stomach and shrunk down to mortal size. It slowly stalked on the two creatures as they shed their clothing and as it watched it felt as if these two should…not die; definitely not die; they should be protected at all cost so that this feeling would stay; and for the first time in it’s existence, The Snarl knew happiness.
    Spoiler
    Show

Also a Michael Bay fan.

Likes Jar Jar

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

So did Cracklord ever get that fic I asked for done?

25. - Top - End - #445
    Orc in the Playground

...and for the first time in it’s existence, The Snarl knew happiness.
    I don't know why, but this struck me as really sweet.

So did Cracklord ever get that fic I asked for done?
    It seems like he hasn't been on in a while.
    Last edited by Meg; 2009-12-15 at 09:04 PM.

...And that is how I met your father.

26. - Top - End - #446

Um; Cracklord last week and a half of posts have all been in the Twilight game he's DMing; not to mention he was sick for a couple of days, so unfortunately I'm guessing not yet.
    I don't know why, but this struck me as really sweet.
    Thanks; I really don't do squick very well so once the fluff season ends; I'm screwed.
    Last edited by doliest; 2009-12-15 at 09:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Also a Michael Bay fan.

Likes Jar Jar

27. - Top - End - #447
    Halfling in the Playground

I have a slight disagreement with stating that all forms of love have a sexual undertone: it seems to discount people who are asexual. Seeing as they are still able to form romantic relationships and are interested in types of intimacy that have nothing to do with sex that would argue that physical stimulation is perhaps a catalyst for "love" and not in fact the source.
    Also I recall reading a book in which a psychiatrist described people as being triggered by several different things in regards to feeling loved, and loving in return. Things like gift giving, or quality time would trigger the emotion more then physical intimacy.
    Which isn't to say that sex isn't a huge part of love for many people. But its like some saying I once heard that went "All bees are insects, but not all insects are bees."
    Crackers don't matter.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Um; Cracklord last week and a half of posts have all been in the Twilight game he's DMing; not to mention he was sick for a couple of days, so unfortunately I'm guessing not yet.
    sorry. I don't check this thread very often.

29. - Top - End - #449

Thanks; I really don't do squick very well so once the fluff season ends; I'm screwed.
    Don't be silly, the fluff season never ends!
    Avatar by me...yup that's how good my drawing is. As in not very good.

Crack-Pairings, Not Dead Just Moved. Someone Hasn't Been Looking In The Right Places.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleniel View Post
    Taekwondodo - your nick and your avatar are terrific. I want to award you something... how about enough melons to see you through the next ice age?

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Gallery View Post
    I have a slight disagreement with stating that all forms of love have a sexual undertone: it seems to discount people who are asexual. Seeing as they are still able to form romantic relationships and are interested in types of intimacy that have nothing to do with sex that would argue that physical stimulation is perhaps a catalyst for "love" and not in fact the source.
    It seems that vasopressin is more responsible for romance and monogamy and oxytocin is more involved in the sexual process and parent-child-bonds. Mind you, that is my impression from a very cursory reading of the literature and I could be totally wrong on this.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo