New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Skyrim III: Get rich selling protective knee gear!

I wasn't sure about the thread title, but considering the "took an arrow to the knee" was pretty much a given ("I used to be High King, then I took an arrow to the knee") and everything else before it is alterable anyway...

Previous threads:
    Skyrim I (looking for the link)
    Skyrim II

Handy things:
    Official forums
    Perk calculator
    Some things you need to know about Skyrim (in this thread)
    The Wiki

Mods:
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-12-16 at 11:01 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim III: I took an arrow to the knee, then I reversed a meme.

I'd suggest adding the Silver Ebony Gear mod to the list.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I found some other nice mods, though they didn't offer extra options or fixes. At first I kind of wanted to only include mods that expand upon the game or fix bugs, but then I took an arrow to the knee and realized that I could just split the list of mods into seperate categories, including "Extra Options", "Audiovisuals", "Fixes", and so on.

I will edit the first post soon to reflect that.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Anyone know if using a staff increases the skill the staff is tied to?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    Anyone know if using a staff increases the skill the staff is tied to?
    I believe so.

Is there a mod to fix horses' gravity? Because my horse somehow made a double jump and killed itself upon hitting the ground. It was amusing the first time, but not something I want to happen again.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    I believe so.

Is there a mod to fix horses' gravity? Because my horse somehow made a double jump and killed itself upon hitting the ground. It was amusing the first time, but not something I want to happen again.
    They need to add flying horses. That way they don't die when you fall, & you can hit those pesky dragons!

(Don't ask how to live through the fall after you dismount though)
    Last edited by Anderlith; 2011-12-04 at 06:29 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

I am the only one who found the dialogue with Meridia very akin to the one with Stratos from Ultima VIII? Particularly when...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...you bring her the beacon. A benevolent superhuman being lifts you in the sky speaking with that voice (yeah it's the voice that made me remember), and gives you a gift.

I don't think it's a reference, but still

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Link to first thread if you're still looking.
    Wonder if we should make a short list of tips & tricks to stick in first post aswell.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

found a poor soul on the bethesda forums: http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...7e-2966186.jpg

and to the tips and tricks thing, it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea, a few that I know to live by
    1. never spend perks until you are certain on what you will play
    2. dodging is critical
    3. SAVE OFTEN
    4. daedric princes are more often than not evil, and anytime they are mentioned in a quest, you can expect evil to be committed

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    I believe so.

Get Shadowmere through the Dark Brotherhood questline, that will be a move in the right direction. Have not yet searched for modfixes on those myself.

They need to add flying horses. That way they don't die when you fall, & you can hit those pesky dragons!

Before that, they need a mod that adds mounted combat. As is, you cannot do anything but ride around (and take damage) while mounted.

Other stuff I want to see added is polearms (combined with the above, lances would be awesome) and disguising. That will make all those looted and stolen outfits some good! Add a disguise kit to add make-up on your character to make them look like the other sex or a different race and you're good to go.

Would be popular for crossdressing enthusiasts too.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

I'm all for spears, as long as you don't hold them like you did in Morrowind. THere is a lot of movement to using a spear.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Before that, they need a mod that adds mounted combat. As is, you cannot do anything but ride around (and take damage) while mounted.

Other stuff I want to see added is polearms (combined with the above, lances would be awesome) and disguising. That will make all those looted and stolen outfits some good! Add a disguise kit to add make-up on your character to make them look like the other sex or a different race and you're good to go.

Would be popular for crossdressing enthusiasts too.
    Polearms would be awesome, as would mounted combat.

And flying horses.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    Polearms would be awesome, as would mounted combat.

And flying horses.
    I'm waiting for a mod that lets me keep all of my doggies at my home.

EDIT: Dragonborn Dance Mod? Hells yes.
    Last edited by Bad Situation; 2011-12-04 at 09:50 PM.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I don't mod. It frightens me.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Situation View Post
    I'm waiting for a mod that lets me keep all of my doggies at my home.

and I'm waiting on one for the 360

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Situation View Post

... I must install that. Especially if I can force NPCs to dance.

Know why?

Because "player.placeatme 000387C0", "Tai" on the created creature, repeat.

...Then I'd need Fraps.

So I can upload it...

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    I don't mod. It frightens me.
    I used to not mod, like you.

Then I had to restart, and go through a damn tutorial. several times.

Now I mod.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

17. - Top - End - #17

If you use the Become Ethereal shout you can survive any fall and any damage, making it my favourite shout to use when fighting anything but dragons. Power attack? Ethereal. Fireballs? Ethereal? Need to go to the northern ice wastes for a quest and end up jumping off the cliff at winterhold? Ethereal.
    Note: you can't shout while falling, you have to do it BEFORE you jump :p

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Completely unrelated, but is it possible to play Skyrim as a "Lawful Good" person? It seems the majority of the quests involve murdering people (Dark Brotherhood), burglary and thuggery (Thieves' Guild), just plain thuggery as well as turning into a monster (Companions), tomb robbing (College of Winterhold as well as a number of other sidequests) and various horrendous acts like cannibalism and human sacrifice (Daedric quests).

It seems like there's no way to play a paladin in Skyrim at all.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Somebody PM me if you find a mod that gets you a freely ridable (flying) dragon mount or lets you transform into a dragon. (if they had included a shout like that, the game would be downright perfect)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Completely unrelated, but is it possible to play Skyrim as a "Lawful Good" person? It seems the majority of the quests involve murdering people (Dark Brotherhood), burglary and thuggery (Thieves' Guild), just plain thuggery as well as turning into a monster (Companions), tomb robbing (College of Winterhold as well as a number of other sidequests) and various horrendous acts like cannibalism and human sacrifice (Daedric quests).

Depends on how lawful your good is. Tomb robbing is not evil or unlawful. The Jarl of Whiterun himself wants you to plunder a tomb.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Threeshades View Post
    Somebody PM me if you find a mod that gets you a freely ridable (flying) dragon mount or lets you transform into a dragon. (if they had included a shout like that, the game would be downright perfect)
    Emphasis mine, and it would rock!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nhbdy View Post
    Emphasis mine, and it would rock!
    Replace Call Dragon with BECOME Dragon. Sounds like epic win to me.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Depends on how lawful your good is. Tomb robbing is not evil or unlawful. The Jarl of Whiterun himself wants you to plunder a tomb.
    Okay, so people in authority ask you to plunder tombs all the time and the people who'd bury their dead in there are long dead themselves, but still it seems like apart from the main quest there's little Truth, Justice and Imperial Way for a guy to crusade for. I guess the best way to say it is that there's no way to make things in Skyrim BETTER, only keep them from getting worse. And even then, you can actively make things worse by building the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood back up.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2011-12-05 at 01:14 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, if you want to add a fall into the story then the Companions would work. Yes you do turn into a monster, but the end quest can be worked out as a quest of redemption for you and the
    Spoiler
    Show
    Harbinger, because the final quest gives you an opportunity to rid, possibly, you and the harbinger of the beast within.
    Last edited by hunt11; 2011-12-05 at 01:18 AM.
    Herpestidae made my Naktem avatar.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hunt11 View Post
    Well, if you want to add a fall into the story then the Companions would work. Yes you do turn into a monster, but the end quest can be worked out as a quest of redemption for you and the
    Spoiler
    Show
    Harbinger, because the final quest gives you an opportunity to rid, possibly, you and the harbinger of the beast within.
    That doesn't change the fact that even BEFORE that big change some of the jobs you receive amount to just plain thuggery. Specifically the quests where apparently someone has a beef with someone else, and hires the Companions to beat the stuffing out of them. It's like the opening quests for the Thieves Guild, except for some reason the person you beat up doesn't hate you forever afterwards (DAMMIT TALEN-JEI WILL YOU STOP MAKING ME FEEL BAD ABOUT THREATENING YOUR FIANCEE?! I GOT YOU THE AMETHYSTS FOR YOUR ENGAGEMENT RING AFTERWARDS, YOU SHOULD BE THANKING ME FOR HELPING YOU GET HITCHED TO HER! )

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

And even then, you can actively make things worse by building the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood back up.
    Do you know why there's a Thieves Guild at all? And why they wear uniforms, especially uniforms that guards can recognize?
    A person in authority (I believe it to be a jarl or a steward) once told me. You see, the Thieves Guild keeps the other thieves in line. They keep thievery stable, and prevent other forces of instability from moving in. Thievery is only one part of the Thieves Guild. The other part is keeping the non-union bandits and thieves in line. They do this with the full support and acknowledgement of the authorities in the region, and in return they are allowed leeway when it comes to their own criminal activities. After all, the Thieves Guild has rules, punishes you when you don't follow those rules, and doesn't kill people. They also preach loyalty, obedience, and don't do anything to fundamentally overthrow the powers that be.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

That doesn't change the fact that even BEFORE that big change some of the jobs you receive amount to just plain thuggery. Specifically the quests where apparently someone has a beef with someone else, and hires the Companions to beat the stuffing out of them. It's like the opening quests for the Thieves Guild, except for some reason the person you beat up doesn't hate you forever afterwards (DAMMIT TALEN-JEI WILL YOU STOP MAKING ME FEEL BAD ABOUT THREATENING YOUR FIANCEE?! I GOT YOU THE AMETHYSTS FOR YOUR ENGAGEMENT RING AFTERWARDS, YOU SHOULD BE THANKING ME FOR HELPING YOU GET HITCHED TO HER! )
    Well, going by this wiki, you can ignore that quest and ask the other members for a quest. For example, for my current character the first quest for the guild after joining up was exterminating a cave full of trolls.
    Herpestidae made my Naktem avatar.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Okay, first: If you don't want that bar brawl mission for them, get your first mission from Aela rather than Farkas - Aela's is far simpler: an animal's gotten into someone's house. Kill it. You're helping someone who would die if they dared enter their own house. Good for you, have a brownie.

Farkas's brawl job is nowhere NEAR morally underhanded. It's a perfectly acceptable avenue of conflict resolution in the Nord mind, and I've never seen that quest point to a non-Nord, yet. (Some women, yes, but Nord women respect the tradition as much as the men and have no reservations about entering the ring.)

But the big thing, the really big thing, about the Companions is that they aren't monsters. Yeah, they're werewolves, but they don't let the blood control them - they hone it into a weapon and wield it with all the care, precision, and discipline they would a sword. That is what the Silver Hand never bothers to understand, that the Companions aren't the enemy. Feral werewolves are a problem, but the Companions extremely picky about who they let into the group, much less who the choose to upgrade - nobody who gets that far in the group lacks the self-control needed to dominate the beast blood. They are also very tightly knit, and respond strongly to one of their own being attacked.

As for being a lawful-good type, I think my first guy fit the bill pretty well:
    Spoiler
    Show

* Joined the College - there's very little morally questionable here.
    * Joined the Legion - fought for the rightful ruler who best served the people.
    * Joined the Companions - good men and women who do honorable work for good coin. Bit of a blood war breaks out, but while both sides are responsible for escalating it, it was the opposition that started it.
    * Declared war on the Dark Brotherhood.
    * Helped Meridia and Azura, the good Daedra. Gave the others the finger. (Well, other than Sheogorath, I guess. Can't say no to a whimsical scot.)
    * Worked in good faith with the Jarls of Whiterun and Morthal - good people looking after their own.
    * Completed the main quest - worked for the betterment of all sides (except Ulfric personally), saved the day, but refused to choose vengeance over earnestly sought redemption.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2011-12-05 at 02:11 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    I never understood that one. Polearms were the WORST weapons in Morrowind, by far, and yet people are raging at Bethesda for not having them in Oblivion, or Skyrim.

The only mod I am interested in in that list is the inventory interface mod. Is it done? I won't install anything that is Beta. Other than that I must say all I have installed are texture enhancers. This is the first Bethesda game I don't feel a need to mod.

Now there are a few mods from FO3/NV I would like ported though, especially a time-scale mod I always used: It set time in the wild to the same as everywhere, but if in combat, and indoors, it set it to 1:1 (1 minute in real time = 1 minute in the game). Far more realistic.

I would also love to get a proper lightsource mod; there is no need to ever carry a torch, since well, all dungeons are bright as daylight (slight exaggeration) without any lightsource. Outdoors the nights are also too bright.

Since we already have proper storms in Skyrim there is no need to port Nevada Skies.

Oh and to repeat my question, since I ended up being the last person to post in the last thread:
    I need a spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The quill that got lost in the lake? How do I proceed to find it? I don't get any quest marker for it anywhere.

Edit:

As pointed out above, if you had asked Aela, you would have gotten a "gooder" quest: Kill a frost wolf that snuck into a house, to save the people living there. (In retrospectm, this is also the first hint about the werewolf thing, since she comments about it just being the beast's nature...).

Anyway, turning into a werewolf (not a normal werewolf, mind you, but one in full control of one's abilities!) is in itself not an evil, or even chaotic act. I think your problem is that you are so hard-coded into "Dungeon And Dragons Paladin" that you have a hard time playing a knight in shining armor in any other game. You need to let go of the alignments, because there ARE NONE, and instead focus on simply roleplaying a warrior (maybe with healing magic and conjured weapons) that is also a good person and always puts the good of others first. It's as simple as that.

Edit: also, as Calemyr points out, this is not the Forgotten Realms. This is Sparta Skyrim, where an honorable duel is binding by law, and an unonoranble duel can be accepted, if the bastard had it coming.

Now my little girl is much more grey than you want; but even doing the thief guild questline you can do more good than bad,
    Spoiler
    Show
    although you swear your soul to a daedra lord

but after you do the initiation in the Champions, your main tasks circle around killing off...
    Spoiler
    Show
    the silver hand. They SOUND good, but as soon as you see them in action, you find out that they are very very bad people.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2011-12-05 at 02:19 AM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Oh and to repeat my question, since I ended up being the last person to post in the last thread:
    I need a spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The quill that got lost in the lake? How do I proceed to find it? I don't get any quest marker for it anywhere.
    There is a large ship docked in Riften. Go to the ship's west most point (the bow I believe) and swim in the direction the boat is pointing. Look underwater and you should find a small boat wreckage.

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Nocturne is actually pretty fair. Her terms are pretty much 'if I tell you to do something; do it.' And if you see one of her subjects in trouble you said them. She also expects you not to steal her stuff, which is understandable. From there you just serve as this metaphysical embodiment of luck who wanders around doing you want.
    Last edited by Bad Situation; 2011-12-05 at 02:30 AM.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨