New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Post Re: Pathfinder Homebrew Class: Wild Shaper

Mine looks like a druid because it's a picture of a druid wild shaping

I really dislike yours also though...sorry. It's just too much.

Maybe this...?
    Spoiler
    Show

Some good old totem warrior stuff...
    Spoiler
    Show

or...
    Spoiler
    Show

and the classic werewolf...
    Spoiler
    Show

Hope one of those works
    Extended Signature here.

Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder Homebrew Class: Wild Shaper

Quote Originally Posted by Vilpich View Post

Note: wild shape functions slightly different for them than normal druids. the duration he can stay in form is nearly infinite at lvl 8

Is that a good thing? I don't see a problem right off the bat, but it doesn't feel right that he's just almost permanently transformed by 8th level...
    i built this as a class to be one where the character could lose himself in. leave civilization and become something truely fearsome, an alpha-beast of the wilderness, so to speak.

While it is entirely possible to spend a lifetime in a chosen form, it still is a choice the player can make for themselves.

I just gave them the ability to really enjoy wild shape again. i mean look at it in comparison to 3.5... by the goddess its a tiny ability now (but no more).

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

i like the third one you posted.

kindof like
    Spoiler
    Show

probably the best so far.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34

The last one is excellent.

This suggestion isn't as good IMHO, but you might still like it...

Spoiler
    Show
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

i like it as a second but the last one i posted is perfect, i think. that one looks like it would have a bite attack, the class doesnt really have one naturally.

Vilpich, i have a query. do you think i should add an entry for some aquatic abilities?

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by LordErebus12 View Post
    i like it as a second but the last one i posted is perfect, i think. that one looks like it would have a bite attack, the class doesnt really have one naturally.

Vilpich, i have a query. do you think i should add an entry for some aquatic abilities?
    Probably worth it, although they shouldn't be hard to use since it's very situational.
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

7. - Top - End - #37

Probably worth it, although they shouldn't be hard to use since it's very situational.
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vilpich View Post

Added the Aquatic Adaption and Back to the Seas abilities

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Question Re: Pathfinder Homebrew Class: Wild Shaper

any more creative ideas?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I started making a class like this once or twice, but gave up because wild shape isn't something I am an expert with. Kudos for you for going for something this ambitious on your first posting here. From experience, people picking at your creation is a really good thing, they're trying to help make it even better.

For my pickings, someone earlier mentioned that when wild shaped you lose the benefit of all your magic items. This was true in 3.5, but nothing in the Pathfinder Druid text mentions it, just says look at Beast Shape I, which doesn't mention equipment at all either. Maybe that limitation from 3.5 isn't present in 3.5? Wild shaping would be MUCH stronger if you still get your Ring of Protection bonus.

Is there a Wild Shape rules expert that could weigh in on this?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage View Post
    I started making a class like this once or twice, but gave up because wild shape isn't something I am an expert with. Kudos for you for going for something this ambitious on your first posting here. From experience, people picking at your creation is a really good thing, they're trying to help make it even better.

For my pickings, someone earlier mentioned that when wild shaped you lose the benefit of all your magic items. This was true in 3.5, but nothing in the Pathfinder Druid text mentions it, just says look at Beast Shape I, which doesn't mention equipment at all either. Maybe that limitation from 3.5 isn't present in 3.5? Wild shaping would be MUCH stronger if you still get your Ring of Protection bonus.

Is there a Wild Shape rules expert that could weigh in on this?

Wild Shape (Su): At 4th level, a druid gains the ability to turn herself into any Small or Medium animal and back again once per day. Her options for new forms include all creatures with the animal type. This ability functions like the beast shape I spell, except as noted here. The effect lasts for 1 hour per druid level, or until she changes back. Changing form (to animal or back) is a standard action and doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity. The form chosen must be that of an animal with which the druid is familiar.

A druid loses her ability to speak while in animal form because she is limited to the sounds that a normal, untrained animal can make, but she can communicate normally with other animals of the same general grouping as her new form. (The normal sound a wild parrot makes is a squawk, so changing to this form does not permit speech.)

A druid can use this ability an additional time per day at 6th level and every two levels thereafter, for a total of eight times at 18th level. At 20th level, a druid can use wild shape at will. As a druid gains levels, this ability allows the druid to take on the form of larger and smaller animals, elementals, and plants. Each form expends one daily use of this ability, regardless of the form taken.

At 6th level, a druid can also use wild shape to change into a Large or Tiny animal or a Small elemental. When taking the form of an animal, a druid's wild shape now functions as beast shape II. When taking the form of an elemental, the druid's wild shape functions as elemental body I.

At 8th level, a druid can also use wild shape to change into a Huge or Diminutive animal, a Medium elemental, or a Small or Medium plant creature. When taking the form of animals, a druid's wild shape now functions as beast shape III. When taking the form of an elemental, the druid's wild shape now functions as elemental body II. When taking the form of a plant creature, the druid's wild shape functions as plant shape I.

At 10th level, a druid can also use wild shape to change into a Large elemental or a Large plant creature. When taking the form of an elemental, the druid's wild shape now functions as elemental body III. When taking the form of a plant, the druid's wild shape now functions as plant shape II.

At 12th level, a druid can also use wild shape to change into a Huge elemental or a Huge plant creature. When taking the form of an elemental, the druid's wild shape now functions as elemental body IV. When taking the form of a plant, the druid's wild shape now functions as plant shape III.

Beast Shape I
    School transmutation (polymorph); Level sorcerer/wizard 3
    Casting Time 1 standard action
    Components V, S, M (a piece of the creature whose form you plan to assume)
    Range personal
    Target you
    Duration 1 min./level (D)
    When you cast this spell, you can assume the form of any Small or Medium creature of the animal type. If the form you assume has any of the following abilities, you gain the listed ability: climb 30 feet, fly 30 feet (average maneuverability), swim 30 feet, darkvision 60 feet, low-light vision, and scent.

Small animal: If the form you take is that of a Small animal, you gain a +2 size bonus to your Dexterity and a +1 natural armor bonus.

Medium animal: If the form you take is that of a Medium animal, you gain a +2 size bonus to your Strength and a +2 natural armor bonus.

I see your point, looking at the druid for pathfinder, that old rule of items merging into the skin of new form has been removed with the downgrade. yet the armor ability Wild, allowing armor to give its bonuses to all forms while in wild shape, still remains.

not saying armor is even worth a thing to this class, just the armor ability remains.

Perhaps we can say items change shape but still keep rough locations on body?

Say a ring of protection becomes a earring for your wolf form. the necklace of fireballs becomes a choker. your cloak of charisma becomes a scarf. The items become wind charms on the branches of your tree form.

Perhaps each item effect simply show up as tattoos on the wild shape form, invisible to those without magical sight, like detect magic or arcane sight.

this is of course my personal opinion and homebrew, and the whole thing depends on how creative the DM and Players are with altering item shapes.

i think the class will become too overpowered if i must add an ability to ignore it (this in turn means i've accepted the fact that druids suffer from not having this), when the druid doesn't seem to suffer from it anymore as well. perhaps its best left to the DM.
    Last edited by LordErebus12; 2012-05-14 at 07:21 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Id also like to call attention to the Oracle class, it gains a penalty for some abilities. not every class must contain everything, as well. too many abilities and a class cannot balance correctly with the current classes, ruining the brilliance of Pathfinder's balance.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

in any rate, unless someone has something to add, id call it about finished
    Last edited by LordErebus12; 2012-05-25 at 06:45 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Nice work. I may have to borrow some of those secondary abilities for my own Shapeshifter class (for my own extensive-houserules home game), I've been kinda hurting for flavorful non-prime-shtick stuff to add to the progression.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Perhaps we can say items change shape but still keep rough locations on body?

Say a ring of protection becomes a earring for your wolf form. the necklace of fireballs becomes a choker. your cloak of charisma becomes a scarf. The items become wind charms on the branches of your tree form.

Perhaps each item effect simply show up as tattoos on the wild shape form, invisible to those without magical sight, like detect magic or arcane sight.
    I support this idea. Turning into a dinossaur covered with mystic tatoos would be awesome!

I always liked the concept of a shape shifiting warrior, Beast Wars was awesome, after all. So I'll give some ideas and suggestions.

I think Intuitive Defense should come earlier, maybe even at 1st level. Being limited to class levels prevents dipping. Beast Stride could come into play a few levels earlier too.

Why does it not have a good Fortitude Save? Is it just in order to differentiate it from the druid? 'Cause a gut who can shape his own body and become huge beasts doesn't sound frail or sickly.

I have a doubt, when you choose wild adaptation, do you choose one and apply it to all shapes you turn into, or you can use any one of them but just one at a time and as you gain experience, become able to use more of them at the same time? I feet the text could be clearer about this.

Finally, I think there are too many different bonuses to keep track of, Perception, Initiative, AC during surprise rounds, AC against attacks of opportunity, bonuses from favored terrain, bonuses from all sorts of different shapes...
    I'd try to unify some of these, or at least make sure they improve at the same rate, like "every 4 levels, all my bonuses increase by 1" instead of "this bonus increases every 3 levels, this one increases every 4 levels after level 2, this one is static and the last one changes whenever I am in X situation or doing Y"
    Instead of a numerical bonus to Initiative, let it ad Wis to it, like the Inquisitor, maybe following the same limits of Intuitive Defense. It easier to remember. The bonus against AoO and during surprise rounds? Make them the same, or give it an steady increase in AC like the Monk's.

That's all. Love the class, please add a picture of Dinobot from Beast Wars and say it's a Warforged Wild Shaper!
    Homebrew Stuff:

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    I support this idea. Turning into a dinossaur covered with mystic tatoos would be awesome!

I always liked the concept of a shape shifiting warrior, Beast Wars was awesome, after all. So I'll give some ideas and suggestions.

(i loved beast wars)

I think Intuitive Defense should come earlier, maybe even at 1st level. Being limited to class levels prevents dipping. Beast Stride could come into play a few levels earlier too.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4ddq6L2dQ1r7ut7mo2_400.jpg

Why does it not have a good Fortitude Save? Is it just in order to differentiate it from the druid? 'Cause a gut who can shape his own body and become huge beasts doesn't sound frail or sickly.

Its meant to be more focused on speed and reflexes, as well as in form.

I have a doubt, when you choose wild adaptation, do you choose one and apply it to all shapes you turn into, or you can use any one of them but just one at a time and as you gain experience, become able to use more of them at the same time? I feet the text could be clearer about this.

They do indeed apply! Was this not clear? I must make amendments.

Finally, I think there are too many different bonuses to keep track of, Perception, Initiative, AC during surprise rounds, AC against attacks of opportunity, bonuses from favored terrain, bonuses from all sorts of different shapes...

I cannot do this in my right mind, it was meant to not become a godly class, just a unique class with some new abilities thrown in.

I'd try to unify some of these, or at least make sure they improve at the same rate, like "every 4 levels, all my bonuses increase by 1" instead of "this bonus increases every 3 levels, this one increases every 4 levels after level 2, this one is static and the last one changes whenever I am in X situation or doing Y"

Its done this way to spread it throughout the class, in equal increments. I don't find it that hard to keep track of, but some have not been done before. the class feels familiar, but then is different.

Instead of a numerical bonus to Initiative, let it add Wis to it, like the Inquisitor, maybe following the same limits of Intuitive Defense. It easier to remember.

I will look at it and think on it but probably wont change it.

The bonus against AoO and during surprise rounds? Make them the same, or give it an steady increase in AC like the Monk's.

this would never work. one is governed by a feat and a static +4 and the other features hightened reflexes. now think of the wild shape AC bonuses. remember, a monk didnt have natural armor on top of wis bonus.

this created example took the beast hide wild adaption first. As soon as possible it took the dodge, mobility, and spring attack for feats at 5th. Now each round when it moves in to attack it strikes, then moves away (provoking AoO; granting +8 to AC from improved mobility and mobility feat). This works well with guerrilla warfare, ambush tactics, and stealth.

5th:
    Human:
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13
    (+2 Dex, +3 Natural)

Medium Beast:
    AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 15
    (+2 Dex, +5 Natural)

(improved mobility +8 vs. AoO's; +1 AC on Surprise Round)

7th:
    Human:
    AC 18, Touch 15, Flat-footed 16
    (+2 Dex, +3 Wis, +3 Natural)

Large Beast:
    AC 22, Touch 15, Flat-footed 19
    (+3 Dex, +3 Wis, +7 Natural, -1 Size)

(improved mobility +8 vs. AoO's; +2 AC on Surprise Round)

10th:
    Human:
    AC 19, Touch 16, Flat-footed 19
    (+3 Dex, +3 Wis, +3 Natural)

Huge Beast:
    AC 22, Touch 12, Flat-footed 21
    (+1 Dex, +3 Wis, +9 Natural, -2 Size)

(uncanny dodge, improved mobility +8 vs. AoO's; +3 AC on Surprise Round)

this means vs. AoO's we got a 30 for AC. not bad for 10th level. its merely how you can build it. I think a static bonus added on might be excessive.

That's all. Love the class, please add a picture of Dinobot from Beast Wars and say it's a Warforged Wild Shaper!
    Warforged are non-existent... but i'll work on it.
    Last edited by LordErebus12; 2012-05-26 at 05:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

anything else? ive built several characters that work right.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

What about burrowing? You've got swimming and flying!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

What does changing types with the 20th level ability actually give them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quick question about Wild Shape. If the Wild Shaper gets Wild Shape At Will at level 11, would not the additional uses per day at 12 and 18 be redundant? If so, maybe make 12 and 18 change it from a standard action to a move action and then a swift action?
    From Psychonauts -
    Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by togapika View Post
    What does changing types with the 20th level ability actually give them?
    Each time the transformation is made, you are cleansed of all poisons or diseases, are restored to full hit points, and heal all ability damage. You take on the physical characteristics.

all were mentioned previously directly in the description. one thing i do know is that changing your type means you can be treated as an animal, meaning spells and abilities don't effect you if they only affect humanoids.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goggalor View Post
    Quick question about Wild Shape. If the Wild Shaper gets Wild Shape At Will at level 11, would not the additional uses per day at 12 and 18 be redundant? If so, maybe make 12 and 18 change it from a standard action to a move action and then a swift action?
    changed the additional uses around, at 12th it is reduced to move action, then added a 17th level ability: Acrity and Grace.

this adds a unique spin on what you suggested, at one level lower.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    What about burrowing? You've got swimming and flying!
    Swimming is covered in adaptions; however, Burrowing, Flying and climbing are only covered by the Wild Shape ability.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

added an amendment to fast movement. This is due to the extremely high movement speeds of high level wild shaping.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Pathfinder Homebrew Class: Wild Shaper

anything else, guys? we are on a role here...

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

been wondering if someone could suggest a concept for a variant?

Spoiler
    Show
    Belladonis Campaign Setting 3.5
    Casting as a Skill

Learn from your mistakes, 3.5...
    Fill in those dead levels...

Abrothia's Vision
    Spoiler
    Show

Welcome to the World Serpent Inn!
    Spoiler
    Show

- - - IC - - - OOC - - -

Extended Signature (90% complete)

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

been meaning to fix the table. its done now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Belladonis Campaign Setting 3.5
    Casting as a Skill

Learn from your mistakes, 3.5...
    Fill in those dead levels...

Abrothia's Vision
    Spoiler
    Show

Welcome to the World Serpent Inn!
    Spoiler
    Show