New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeons of Doom (Room 1;2)

Quote Originally Posted by HyramGraff View Post
    Room 2

Hyram Graff takes a few steps back form the entrance to the cavern and waits for what he presumes will be carnage in the room. He faces the room with his wand of wonder ready to zap any hostile non party members that come toward him and his Si readied in case he needs to start bashing things.

(Emphasis Mine)
    Wait, so if I come up to you and try and cut you in half, you wouldn't do anything? Sweet
    Last edited by Hivemind Ghost; 2007-04-20 at 03:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

Room 2

KewlKat just hangs back, waiting to see how the others fare. If the group turns out to be peaceful, he will come out of hiding and join the rest of the adventurers. If there is a suitable distraction, he will try to sneak past. Otherwise, he will simply stay put.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

More death and mishap: Let's see what happened:

Effect 1: The Illusion Bridge Trap
    The good news: There is no boulder to be afraid of. The bad news: There are no walls either...you have been standing on a narrow bridge over a chasm. Walls, ceiling and boulder are all results of a Programmed Image to simulate a normal hallway.

Survival Criterion:
    Basically, the survival criterion was: Don't jump off the bridge, for example by trying to scale the wall or bracing yourself against it. Creating a hole in the wall and jumping into it was something I honestly didn't expect to happen.

GoC uses his Staff of Passage to create a tunnel in the wall and invites everyone to follow him into it. His five companions follow but pingcode still keeps his ring ready just in case. Deckmaster uses his goggles to look for hidden monster behind the boulder but fails to find some.
    You leap into thin air one by one, your screams narrowly covered by the script disguising them as echoes of your steps in the "hallway". As soon as your feet lose the ground, you take a solid 200 feet fall onto the natural granite floor of the chasm below.
    Calamity, Deckmaster and pendell have no way to protect themselves and will be crushed upon impact.
    Orzel has the option to speak the command word for his magic rock, although he can't take anyone with him.
    pingcode had readied the ring earlier and will be able to use its teleport function.
    GoC hits the floor at full speed as well, but the Amulet of Contingent True Resurrection saves him. His body is returned to life at the bottom of the chasm.

Loot Criterion:
    There is no loot here...other than the possessions of your dead comrades. GoC will be able to find the broken bodies of Calamity, Deckmaster and pendell sprawled across the floor. Some of their items have broken, but there are still...
    A Staff of Ice
    A Ring of Protection
    A Scimitar
    A Tome of Infinite Knowledge
    A Ten-Foot Pole
    A Set of Thieves' Tools

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

"A-A-Aaaah!" screams Corven, tripping his ring reflexively and teleporting back onto what he now knew was a bridge.

Clutching the narrow bridge tightly, he peered carefully over the edge, squinting to see if the critical tome was still intact.

"Is anybody still alive down there?" he called, in that irrational, redundant way that humans often do.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Effect 2: The Slavers
    The group in the cavern are just a friendly gang of slavers. They have specialized in crawling through dungeons like this one, picking off helpless creatures. Fortunately for all of you, they are not eager to pick fights against normal opponents.

Survival Criterion:
    The bad news: All of your plans were needless. The good news: This is just an Anti-Inactivity-Room: There are no negative effects unless you are completely inactive in the round.

Loot Criterion:
    There was something to be gained, though. Everyone who approaches or addresses the Slavers will be rewarded with a Pudgy Halfling Slave on a Leash.

The largest group of you didn't chose the peaceful approach, though. With a variety of distractions, you sneak your way past the Slavers. Aegeus uses a lightshow with his lantern to cover his steps, Castaras and Thes use the distraction of pies randomly appearing. Frigs crawls across the floor while Lucid Archon simply makes a run for it. Jazzman and Rigel Cyrosea use the power of invisibility to bypass them while Zar Peter hulls himself in fog to get past. The Slavers look at the various distractions in amusement and don't intervene.

Amiria, evnafets and Hivemind Ghost chose the optimal path of action, though. The four of them are walking up to them openly and respond to the Slavers friendly calls. They join them at their fireplace, where they exchange stories. They part after a while but not before the Slavers hand them a small will-less halfling slave. Those things might come in handy later.

Rumda and KewlKat have kept themselves behind the group of three, but the rough talk and crude jokes of the slavers had repelled them a bit. They walk past the Slavers as well but they won't receive a gift.

A rather large group had decided to stay in the back and observe rather than act. Mewtarthio used the cover of the various distractions to send himself to the exit via Dimensional Door while the group of Akaziel, Fredricus, DLD, HyramGraff and Kyrian stays with him in the back as well undetermined. After they see their companions signal them from the other side that there is no danger, they follow them, though.

El Jaspero and KrystalTiger are the only ones who remain. They have fallen asleep at the entrance of the cavern where they were easy prey for the Slavers. While the others continue, the two of them will awake on an Ogre buffet table or something similarly lethal.
    Last edited by Silkenfist; 2007-04-20 at 08:24 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

{table="head"]{colsp=3}The Players in the Dungeon of Doom
    Aegeus|Alive|Room 3
    Akaziel|Alive|Room 3
    Altharis|DEAD|Room 1
    Amiria, Countess of Mispelling|Alive|Room 3
    Calamity|DEAD|Room 1
    Case|DEAD|Room 1
    Castaras|Alive|Room 3
    Deckmaster|DEAD|Room 1
    DLD|Alive|Room 3
    Eldritch Knight|DEAD|Room 1
    El Jaspero|DEAD|Room 2
    evnafets|Alive|Room 3
    Fredricus|Alive|Room 3
    Frigs|Alive|Room 3
    GenericPC|DEAD|Room 1
    Gezina|DEAD|Room 1
    Gnome Barbarian|DEAD|Room 1
    GoC|Alive|Room 2
    Hivemind Ghost|Alive|Room 3
    HyramGraff|Alive|Room 3
    Jazzman|Alive|Room 3
    KewlKat|Alive|Room 3
    Krystal Tiger|DEAD|Room 2
    Kyrian|Alive|Room 3
    Lucid Archon|Alive|Room 3
    Maggie the Cat|DEAD|Room 1
    Mewtarthio|Alive|Room 3
    Meynolds|DEAD|Room 1
    Orzel|Alive|Room 3
    pendell|DEAD|Room 1
    pingcode20|Alive|Room 2
    Rigel Cyrosea|Alive|Room 3
    Rumda|Alive|Room 3
    Thes Hunter|Alive|Room 3
    Warpfire777|DEAD|Room 1
    Zar Peter|Alive|Rooom 3
    [/table]

: The Support Thread. Check out Gear and Physical State of you and your companions

The Aftermath Phase begins now. If you want to organise yourselves before you enter the next room, you may do so until Sunday, 12 PM Eastern

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Well... that was certainly... anticlimactic," mutters a slightly embarrassed Mewtarthio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

Silk...where are you coming up with this stuff, out of curiosity.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Part of II.I.
    Legionary of Valor
    Inner Circle
    OOC Mafioso

I'm back! Sorta. Not really. Kinda though.

9. - Top - End - #69

((Say, am I able to see to the bottom and/or teleport to the loot? And return to the top of the bridge?))

10. - Top - End - #70
    Banned

((You have got to be kidding me.
    I just killed half the "rescue" team.
    Silkenfist apparently isn't using either RL or D&D physics:
    It takes 3-4 seconds to get to the bottom. This is enough time for Calamity to use his ring (he had his finger placed to activate it, remember?).))

If you decide to ignore this then GoC will gather the possessions of his comrades, levitate up to the bridge and ask the Tome the following question:

"What are the coordinates (to the nearest ft) of Jazzman's right eye considering the origin at GoC's right eye, the x and y axis' parallel to the floor, the x axis going from GoC's right eye to to any part of the line segment connecting Pingcode20's right eye and the center of the Earth (Pingcode20's eye must have a positive x coordinate), with the wall on the right from GoC's perspective when he's looking at Pingcode20 having a positive y coordinate and GoC's feet having a negative z coordinate?"

He will then teleport himself and Pingcode20 to Jazzman. The "loot" will be divided between the survivers. GoC picks the Tome of Infinite Knowledge so that this tragedy will never happen again. He'd also like the staff of ice as his own staff probably has finite charges.

"I feel incredibly guilty for dragging you all into this. I'm sorry."

11. - Top - End - #71

((Or, I could have dropped the ring down to you. It's my ring which does teleport, anyways. Not Calamity's. I was the one who prepared to trip it.

Calamity had the protection ring.

And... uh... aren't you down in the chasm and I'm up on the bridge, courtesy of teleport?

Fine, renaming self to pingcode...))

Pingcode hears GoC's voice.

"Hoy! GoC! Are you okay?" he yells, peering as hard as he could into the cavern.

"Can you get up? I can drop my ring down to you if you need it!"
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2007-04-20 at 09:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pingcode20 View Post
    ((Or, I could have dropped the ring down to you. It's my ring which does teleport, anyways. Not Calamity's. Not I was the one who prepared to trip it.

Calamity had the protection ring.

And... uh... aren't you down in the chasm and I'm up on the bridge, courtesy of teleport?

Fine, renaming self to pingcode...))

Pingcode hears GoC's voice.

"Hoy! GoC! Are you okay?" he yells, peering as hard as he could into the cavern.

"Can you get up? I can drop my ring down to you if you need it!"
    Calamity's ring would have protected those three from the fall.

"Yes, I'm fine. Unfortunately the same can not be said of our companions. Considering the fact that your ring has infinite uses while my staff doesn't could you drop it down? I'll teleport up and then we can rejoin the rest of the party."

((The tragic thing is that I've seen that trap before but didn't remember it.))

13. - Top - End - #73

Pingcode pulls off the ring, taking extra care to hold on tight, and dropped it down to GoC.

"Just put it on an will yourself to the top. Don't forget to bring everything up."

When GoC arrived back on the bridge, Pingcode looked at the possessions of his late companions.

"Say, if you're going to take the staff of ice, could I have one of your other staves? I've got a wand of cancellation, but it's hardly going to help stop a real monster."

Barring objections, he also takes the ring of protection and the scimitar.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pingcode20 View Post
    Pingcode pulls off the ring, taking extra care to hold on tight, and dropped it down to GoC.

"Just put it on an will yourself to the top. Don't forget to bring everything up."

When GoC arrived back on the bridge, Pingcode looked at the possessions of his late companions.

"Say, if you're going to take the staff of ice, could I have one of your other staves? I've got a wand of cancellation, but it's hardly going to help stop a real monster."

Barring objections, he also takes the ring of protection and the scimitar.
    ((We're sharing with Orzel so only 2 items each.
    The powerful items are:
    Tome
    Ring
    Staff

I take the Tome and whichever minor item is left over.
    Pick one powerful and one weak item.))

GoC teleports up to the bridge using pingcode's ring. He then asks the Tome the question mentioned in the parragraph beginning with ""What" in post #70 in this thread.
    Last edited by GoC; 2007-04-20 at 10:21 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

((Fair enough. I'll grab the staff and lockpicks then. Oh, and hang on to my ring, in case Silkenfist accidentally moves possession of it.))

"Alright, I'll hang on to the Ice Staff and the lockpicks. Oh, and I'll grab my ring back before I forget it."

Pingcode slipped his ring back on, and puts the staff on his back using a miscellaneous strap which materialised as it became necessary to actually store it somewhere.

"Well, at least I have a weapon now."

He unfurled the toolset and examined its contents. There was, of course, the obvious set of lockpicks - only a basic set, though, sadly - and a variety of tools and clippers, for the thwarting of almost any mechanical trap. Helpfully, most of these tools were also very versatile, like crowbars, pliers, tin snips, and various cutting implements.

After examining the variety of high quality tools in the set, he rolled it back into its 'parcel' form and hooked it to his belt.

16. - Top - End - #76

((Heheheheheheh... I knew room 1 was the fake boulder trap!))
    Click to view my dragons and help them grow!
    Please help my Pokemon!

4TH DEGREE!
    Winner of the 1st, 7th and 8th rounds of original Ready, Aim, Fire!

Pokemon X Info:
    3DS Code: 3110-5232-7003
    Character Name: Gwendolyn
    Pokemon for trade: Here

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

After a 3 word prayer, Orzel yells "Geoportal" and is transported to Jazzman's side. His rock is safely in his pocket and he knows not of the fates of the rescuers.

"Guys, bad news."
    Last edited by Orzel; 2007-04-21 at 12:31 AM.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

18. - Top - End - #78

((Well, given that Orzel isn't exactly at the scene... why not roll for the ring of protection? 1d100 should be good enough to avoid needing rerolls.))

"Well, it seems Orzel won't be joining us, so let's roll a die - the one who rolls highest gets the ring." He pulled a convenient 100-sided die from his pocket and rolled it on the bridge.

"[roll0]. Your roll."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GoC View Post
    Calamity's ring would have protected those three from the fall.
    It would have? OK, I will always reverse previous effects or alter them if you give me a good reason. However, I have absolutely no idea how conjuring a barrier will help you if you are already falling at high velocity.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Akaziel sighs with relief. "Onward to Room 3!"
    I'm VERY busy due to real life and whatnot, so I'm taking a break from all WWs and SGs. I should have warned y'all beforehand, and I apologize if I've inconvenienced any of you due to my many autolynches. I really should have stated how busy my life is.

'Tis my Team RAF Trophy Case.

Yay for my Ceikatar! w00t!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

The barrier was aleardy activated before the fall.... I am sure I said that.

It would have took the impact, and break, and then I would fall just inches from the ground??

(GoC got me killed!!! )
    Last edited by Calamity; 2007-04-21 at 06:07 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    <NamelessOne> Calamity, you terrify me, and that's saying something.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Calamity: Well...the Barrier doesn't simply "take the impact". You may not fall on the ground, but you still fall on a barrier. You hit the barrier with the energy of your fall. Newton's third law dictates that you suffer an identical reaction. If the barrier is solid, it will be the same difference as if you hit the floor and if it is a break-away barrier, it shouldn't slow you down enough to let you survive.
    There would be one thing that could save you and that would be an elastic barrier. But given that this property wasn't specified by you in the beginning, I say it is too much of a stretch to say, your ring is able to conjure one of these.

Yes, I know I will be going to pun hell for this. It's cool, evil DM hell has called dibs already.

23. - Top - End - #83

Although, if it wasn't a localised field (ie. Not personal shield style) you may be able to make a case for creating the barrier directly below you - if it functioned like a Wall of Force, then you could say you created it as you fell so you dropped a not-so-lethal 5ft instead of a crushed-to-a-fine-pulp 200ft.

Such a thing would probably involve some luck, though, given that you had what amounts to a split second to create the barrier before you fell too far and would die anyway.

A break away barrier? Well, if you used all ten charges to hit the 'ground' once every 20ft... you might be able to make a case for 'crippled-for-life'...

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

pingcode: It doesn't work either. It doesn't matter whether there is solid matter. As soon as you impact onto "something", "something" hits back. And in addition to all of this, there is the velocity differential. The high amount of G forces you suffer at a sudden stop will likely destroy most of your inner organs even if the impact itself doesn't. I'm not rooting for a high bodycount (OK, that one was a lie...I am. But I try to be fair), but I am a passionate hater of catgirls and follower of RL physics. And physics dictate that there is very few you can do to survive a fall from several hundred feet.

25. - Top - End - #85

Well, if it was solid enough to stop you, you could make the 'floor' high up enough that you could walk away from it.

As in, creating the solid barrier only 1-2ft down from the bridge, in which case it would be a 5ft fall, not a lethal 200ft fall, and at worst you break a leg.

It's more about cutting down the length of the actual drop rather than breaking the fall.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2007-04-21 at 07:16 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, I see. However, the problem is that you have to clear the field of the Illusion before you even realize that you are falling and NOT standing into a spider-hole in the wall. After that, you need another small amount of time to react. You wouldn't suffer the whole 200 ft but it would still be a lot.

Still, you could survive it, although not comfortably. If Calamity says, he would have activated a barrier directly below his feet as soon as he realizes that he is falling, I'll let him succeed in creating a barrier in mid-air. He'll survive the drop, but it will break both of his legs - which is the best possible scenario for him, since if he doesn't land on his feet, his head will suffer too much of a velocity differential and his neck would just snap.

So, Calamity? Is this feasible for you?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
    The barrier was aleardy activated before the fall.... I am sure I said that.

It would have took the impact, and break, and then I would fall just inches from the ground??

(GoC got me killed!!! )
    Thanks for rubbing it in.
    I really hope you were able to active your ring. If you did everyone apart from me has broken legs, some modest internal injuries, is sitting on a sperical platform of force 180 ft off the ground. If the above is the case please wait for Pingcode to collect my valuable magic items before teleporting out.
    Well at least everyone would be alive (no thanks to me, though ).

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

Uhm...no. Calamity will be alive, the others won't. To be saved, they would have needed to jump after Calamity AND be on a similar trajectory. I am already producing a good outcome for Calamity because of his own equipment, but for Deckmaster and pendell, it will not work.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Room 2:
    "Great... we got ourselves a few disposable minions." Aegeus says. "And I didn't get one. Ah well, on to the next room!"

OOC: What would have happened to inactive people? Nabbed by the slavers?

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silkenfist View Post
    Ah, I see. However, the problem is that you have to clear the field of the Illusion before you even realize that you are falling and NOT standing into a spider-hole in the wall. After that, you need another small amount of time to react. You wouldn't suffer the whole 200 ft but it would still be a lot.

Still, you could survive it, although not comfortably. If Calamity says, he would have activated a barrier directly below his feet as soon as he realizes that he is falling, I'll let him succeed in creating a barrier in mid-air. He'll survive the drop, but it will break both of his legs - which is the best possible scenario for him, since if he doesn't land on his feet, his head will suffer too much of a velocity differential and his neck would just snap.

So, Calamity? Is this feasible for you?
    (Meh, works for me...)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

*Calamity realizes he can't get up*

Owwww, I'd rather not be able to feel my legs than feel how much pain I am now..... does anyone have a wheelchair by any chance?
    Last edited by Calamity; 2007-04-21 at 11:47 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    <NamelessOne> Calamity, you terrify me, and that's saying something.