New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: D&D Demotivators Episode VI: Return of the JPEG

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    For the record I suggest reading the Manga as the Anime doesn't give it justice

tax

Spoiler
    Show

Best magic item ever! Gives me a few ideas for D&D night.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    You are my favorite kind of villain.

2. - Top - End - #542

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RandomNPC View Post
    Best magic item ever! Gives me a few ideas for D&D night.
    do you really, really hate your players that much?

3. - Top - End - #543
    Banned

Goblin

Spoiler
    Show

Once on 4chan I've seen discussion about Cthulhutech, during which one guy explined why he plays it. He was GMing Call of Cthulhu, but his players clearly wanted something more packed with action and forced him to homebrew hundreds of rules just to have cinematic battles. He posted this picture, saying this was reaction of his players whenever a cosmic horror appeared. He finally decided that Cthulhutech is propably closer to what they want from the game.

4. - Top - End - #544

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BlackestOfMages View Post
    do you really, really hate your players that much?
    well....

One players backstory involved him traveling with Master Dommic, who trained him in the ways of the unarmed swordsage, for 38 years. Unknown to the player, Dommic was "The Warrior." Dommic later approached him seeking a remove curse, for reasons he refused to explain. When the character needed a remove blindness, "The Bard" an ogre who excels at music and tale telling, offered to pay for both, if the character didn't tell Dommic where the money came from.

At the temple:
    Remove Blindness
    first thing you see:
    Remove Curse
    Dommic turns into Donna, throws belt of gender change in the fireplace.
    Bard shouts "Welcome back Warrior!" and slaps her on the butt.
    Donna tosses Bard into the fire.
    Player: Sits there staring at me for 30 minuets.
    Donna: I only put the belt on because he wouldn't leave me alone. *points at the Bard.*

TL;DR: They expect it of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    You are my favorite kind of villain.

5. - Top - End - #545

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Once on 4chan I've seen discussion about Cthulhutech, during which one guy explined why he plays it. He was GMing Call of Cthulhu, but his players clearly wanted something more packed with action and forced him to homebrew hundreds of rules just to have cinematic battles. He posted this picture, saying this was reaction of his players whenever a cosmic horror appeared. He finally decided that Cthulhutech is propably closer to what they want from the game.
    I hearitly approve of this party. Afterall, if something that incomprehensible appears and wants to kill you, then why not go out with a bang

@ Random: I am so jelous of your party.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

My Legend Began in the 12th Century!

Spoiler
    Show

kinda second this. The ending to the Anime was OK, but the continued manga story is great
    The ending to the anime is both horrifying and awesome once you twig to the subtext and the alternate explanation (which is totally what ACTUALLY happened). I actually prefer the non-obvious anime ending to the manga.

On which note, a repost...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Banned

Goblin

But that's Eversion....

8. - Top - End - #548
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

This kind of thing is why I think "Cthulhu Genesis Gurran Lagann" is a perfectly acceptable concept for a game of Cthulhutech- granted, I also love the idea of piledriving Cthulhu in an Engel from orbit. And clearly the hive ship should turn into a giant mecha...

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

But that's Eversion....
    Yes, that's the point. You can skin something however you like (Soul Eater, Eversion, Don't Rest Your Head as the examples here) but if it just gets more and more terrifying as you descend deeper into it...
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

I hearitly approve of this party. Afterall, if something that incomprehensible appears and wants to kill you, then why not go out with a bang

@ Random: I am so jelous of your party.
    Sadly you'd have to ignore almost all of the existing fluff from Cthulhutech, alter some of the stupider mechanics (xp gain, psionic power progression, etc), and ignore any and all premade adventures.

This isn't a weakness of the concept. It is a weakness of the cthulhutech game's inability to utilize the concept or really any, besides vague uncomfortableness. I really really want to like Cthulhutech but every single time I look at the fluff it makes me cringe.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

tax and relevant

Spoiler
    Show
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

On the subject of Soul Eater and other anime that end whereas the manga continues on: watch the anime, then continue from that point in the manga (or just before it if the ending happened differently from the manga, which is likely, since otherwise the manga could have also ended there, unless its episodic).

Starting in the middle of a manga or anime ain't bad as long as you roughly know what happened before then. I watched some of One Piece but quit around the time Usopp showed up, because the series as a whole didn't appeal to me. Later I read on the wiki about an arc with zombies, so I started there in the manga (the anime wasn't there yet, I think) and continued to read it weekly until they met Neptune under the sea. Then I slowly got fed up with it again and just stuck to Naruto and Bleach (though Bleach mainly because I've stuck with it for so long now I just want to see it through to the end and see it finished forever).
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    The ending to the anime is both horrifying and awesome once you twig to the subtext and the alternate explanation (which is totally what ACTUALLY happened). I actually prefer the non-obvious anime ending to the manga.

On which note, a repost...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alternate explanation? Could someone explain?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Alternate explanation? Could someone explain?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eversion is a platform game where you play the flower-critter-guy above. There's a princess in need of some good ol' saving, and in order to rescue her, you have helpful reality-warping powers. You can shift dimensions slightly, so that a tree hindering your progress in a world doesn't exist in the other.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Then very quickly, you find out your reality shifts send you in increasingly nightmarish world. The enemies shift along with dimensions, turning into crippled aberrations, then into horrible monsters. Once you find that out, it's too late, you can't reliably use your power anymore to get back into the normal(?), cute, safe world. Depending of the ending you get, either the princess turns out to be/into a horrible monster and eats you... either the both of you turn out to be horrible monsters.

Don't Rest Your Head, being a game where you stumble into a nightmare world and get weird powers, can be refluffed as you being a nice and upbeat critter stumbling in a strange world.
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the risk being that if you abuse your powers like the flower guy, you'll end up exactly like the monsters you've encountered. Also features a similar amount of mindscrew where you'll wonder which world exactly was the real one, how much is in your sleep-depraved imagination (not that you'll want or be able to sleep ever again anyway), and if you weren't a monster all along.
    Therefore, DRYH is still a horror game, like Eversion.

If you haven't played Eversion yet, either play it (it's free!) or watch a Let's Play (QuantumCrayons' or deceasedcrab's are the best) before reading the spoilers. You'll thank me (or curse me) later.

EDIT: duh, reading comprehension fail.
    Last edited by Mono Vertigo; 2012-07-03 at 07:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

I think horngeek meant the alternate explanation for the ending of the Soul Eater anime, which I would also be interested in.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

16. - Top - End - #556

BlueKnightGuy

alternate interpritation to the ending of the soul eater anime (at least most common one I hear/one most supported by animation of the show matching previous trends of the show during that time)

Spoiler
    Show
    the happy ending where maka beats the kishin is a halucination caused by the Kishin's madness taking over her. she wnet insane, not won.

so yeah, downer ending where she lost and the world ended, woo

also, kinda hard to say you prefer the anime ending to the amanga ending, considering the latter hasn't finished yet

17. - Top - End - #557
    Troll in the Playground

Aaand another one

Spoiler
    Show
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Oh? Can you expand on this?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Oh? Can you expand on this?
    Spoiler
    Show
    As mentioned above, the soul eater anime winds up with the good guys losing, the main character insane, all her friends and loved ones dead, and the world about to plunge into madness.

If you recall, everyone sure looked dead when maka and soul broke free from the Black Blood's effect. That's because they were. The kishin, which had proven a match for death, was more than sufficient to kill Black Star, Death the Kid, and friends, as evidenced by how the fight was going. Then Maka refused to give into fear, because she had the "courage" to fight on and faced down the kishin. Now's the critical part: remember that the kishin was frightened by this, and promised to break her mind, driving her insane. We know that in previous scenes involving Stein or the Kishin, hallucinations have been passed off as reality. From this point on, we are no longer in reality, we're in another hallucination. This is why, for example, Maka is able to shapechange like a weapon despite no prior hints such a thing was possible, among other sudden twists. We're following dream logic.

At the end of the fight, the kishin has toyed with and tortured her in his attempts to understand why Maka's not afraid. And he's become increasingly panicked over it, because it just doesn't fit his understanding and he is a paranoid schizophrenic dialed up to 11. Finally, Maka delivers her final one liner about courage overcoming fear. The kishin smiles, and says "so it's just like my madness." He's finally fit maka into his worldview, and as a result loses interest, vanishing from the mindscape and giving maka the impression she's defeated him. Suddenly, against all logic her dead friends are alright and the world is instantly better. Also, she's surrounded by the souls of everyone the kishin's eaten. It's possible she's just broken, seeking refuge in madness. Alternately, she may be surrounded by the souls of the devoured for real, as she works her way through the Kishin's digestive tract. And she's one of the lucky ones: her private hell is a *cheery* hallucination. One can only imagine with horror what Stein and Crona are about to go through.

Cue cheery musical montage and closing credits.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

THAT DOES IT.

THREADNOUGHT, FIRING ZEUS CANNONS.

KEY-PHRASE:
    "The Bitch is Back". Because it's what I'm listening to next to the 4th Movement from Beethoven's 5th Symphony.

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by The Tygre; 2012-07-04 at 01:22 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

21. - Top - End - #561

RedWizardGuy

Sauce on the Dark Heresy picture?

In return:

Spoiler
    Show

Ships identified:
    Retribution-class battleship (40k)
    Lucrehulk-class battleship (SW)
    White Base (Gundam)
    Imperial I-class Star Destroyer (SW)
    Tantive IV (SW)
    Galactica-type Battlestar (BSG)
    Tempest-class frigate (40k)

That's all I've got.
    Last edited by jaybird; 2012-07-04 at 02:35 AM.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
    Sauce on the Dark Heresy picture?

In return:

Spoiler
    Show

Ships identified:
    Retribution-class battleship (40k)
    Lucrehulk-class battleship (SW)
    White Base (Gundam)
    Imperial I-class Star Destroyer (SW)
    Tantive IV (SW)
    Galactica-type Battlestar (BSG)
    Tempest-class frigate (40k)

That's all I've got.
    All the stuff on the left is Star Trek ships. The thing in the upper left corner is Deep Space 9, and the bottom right has some real world buildings.

...and the ST ships would still probably kick major ass before going down.

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Barbarian in the Playground

I believe in the 2nd column on the left, the ship from 2001: Space Oddysey is in there.

In the Horizontal rows under the Retribution Class, the top row, left most ship (the Blue and white, with red stripe) is the SDF-1 (Ship form) from Macross/Robotech
    Final Fantasy XIV Dragoon custom avatar made by Iruka. Thanks Iruka.

24. - Top - End - #564

SwashbucklerGuy

All the stuff on the left is Star Trek ships. The thing in the upper left corner is Deep Space 9, and the bottom right has some real world buildings.

...and the ST ships would still probably kick major ass before going down.
    Also in bottom right:
    Hindenburg
    A battleship (possibly Bismarck, possibly Yamato, hard to tell at that size)
    A super-tanker of some sort (too big to be Exxon-Valdez, probably one of the newer super tankers)
    Submarine (not sure if U-Boat or modern nuclear sub)

Oh, and with the sci-fi stuff, theres a Ha'tak, one of the Goa'uld ships from Stargate.

And is that Godzilla? Bottom row, to the left of the RL buildings, to the right of the smaller green behemoth…

Quote Originally Posted by Razgriez View Post
    I believe in the 2nd column on the left, the ship from 2001: Space Oddysey is in there.
    No, that's not from 2001, that's from Star Trek. It appears to be the hospital ship USS Pasteur
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Bravo sir, Bravo.
    Last edited by Madara; 2012-07-04 at 08:20 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, I'm seriously not sure who'd win in a fight between the ST ships in that picture and everything else. Because while ST ships tend towards the small end of the scale, they also tend towards the powerful. While I could see, say, the Retribution having an advantage because sheer mass makes it impossible to do much damage with each hit, the Star Trek ships outclass it so far in weapon targeting and maneuverability that I'm not sure the Retribution-Class would get anything better than lucky shots.

On the other hand, those cannons look like the ammunition is larger than some of the Star Trek ships, so a lucky hit would be all it took. Hmmmm...

...if I find tax, I'll post it to atone for going so far off topic.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, I'm seriously not sure who'd win in a fight between the ST ships in that picture and everything else. Because while ST ships tend towards the small end of the scale, they also tend towards the powerful. While I could see, say, the Retribution having an advantage because sheer mass makes it impossible to do much damage with each hit, the Star Trek ships outclass it so far in weapon targeting and maneuverability that I'm not sure the Retribution-Class would get anything better than lucky shots.

On the other hand, those cannons look like the ammunition is larger than some of the Star Trek ships, so a lucky hit would be all it took. Hmmmm...
    If we go by the yields involved, Star Trek ships are vastly outclassed by Star Wars ships(on the order of 3 or so zeros, if my memory is right), and Star Wars is said to have a difficult time with Warhammer 40k at times.

Now, Posters:
    Spoiler
    Show

He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    If we go by the yields involved, Star Trek ships are vastly outclassed by Star Wars ships(on the order of 3 or so zeros, if my memory is right), and Star Wars is said to have a difficult time with Warhammer 40k at times.
    The yields can be deceptive though. The Star Wars ships are supposedly just firing very high powered lasers for their primary beam weapons. In one TNG episode they are being threatened by a ship armed with lasers and they note that lasers wouldn't even be able to penetrate their navigational shield let alone the one they use for actual fighting.

Star Wars = more power output
    Star Trek = more advanced technology

Or at least how that's I see it.

Of course it gets confusing since Star Wars has ships that can destroy planets (well, the Death Star can blow one to pieces while I think Star Destroyers can basically level the surface). In 40K they have to use an exterminatus bomb (specifically a two stage cyclonic torpedo attack) to actually blow a planet apart.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

In apologies for posting without posters earlier...

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #570

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by holywhippet View Post
    The yields can be deceptive though. The Star Wars ships are supposedly just firing very high powered lasers for their primary beam weapons. In one TNG episode they are being threatened by a ship armed with lasers and they note that lasers wouldn't even be able to penetrate their navigational shield let alone the one they use for actual fighting.

Star Wars = more power output
    Star Trek = more advanced technology

Or at least how that's I see it.

Of course it gets confusing since Star Wars has ships that can destroy planets (well, the Death Star can blow one to pieces while I think Star Destroyers can basically level the surface). In 40K they have to use an exterminatus bomb (specifically a two stage cyclonic torpedo attack) to actually blow a planet apart.
    Everyone is missing one vital part of the equation though. The Federation has Janeway and she hasn't had coffee today.
    Last edited by NikitaDarkstar; 2012-07-05 at 01:59 AM.