New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #998 - The Discussion Thread

Hey, remember Loki was the one with enough common sense to NOT taunt the god-killing abomination.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock_Summoner View Post
    Holy crap!

I mean, holy crap at everything, but most importantly... How did a comic with this art and writing come out in three days!?

Rich Burlew, you are hereby promoted to Overdeity. Step aside, Ao.

Regarding the strip itself... The thing about the gods not hearing Roy, well, I was disheartened by it, at least after I stopped laughing hysterically. I really like Roy, and I think he delivered that speech very well, so it's a true shame if none of the gods heard him. I'm hoping one or more of the gods was just watching (maybe they recorded it on the TeeVo? ) and it ends up changing their vote so that what would've been a one vote lead for destroying the world becomes a one vote lead on giving the mortals one last chance to fix everything. But I recognize that Rich probably has something planned that's simultaneously more logical and more unpredictable for us as an audience, and that will be more satisfying than anything I can come up with. Because he's an amazing author, and we are mere peons basking in the glory of his craftsmanship.
    Hoping it's not a violation of rules to speculate upon this, but I think Rich had this entire sequence more or less ready to go before publishing the first strip, because he knew that waiting a long time to see the next episode would be agonizing to his readers. It's also likely that this particular scene has been bouncing around in his brain for years; this is a climatic moment.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well. Hel stands to clean up here in the souls department if the world is destroyed, what with all the worshippers of the Northern Gods who won't be dying honourably in battle. A "yes" vote by Durkon is looking likely.

Yet I can't help but think that Hel's big scheme involves more than just having her representative show up and cast a vote at Godsmoot (even if it turns out to be the deciding one). We shall see.

Anyway, another great update. Thanks, Giant!

4. - Top - End - #94

SamuraiGuy

I wonder how Odin chose which god would speak for each side? I assume it came down to Odin's choice.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ooo a three pager.

Poor Roy, he tries

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I'll second the hope that Roy's speech will be useful.

Also, are the gods just not commenting on the world inside the Snarl?
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    I think this is the outcome the Dark One wants. Stong Arm the Gods into rebuilding the world is exactly what is happening here, so Redcloak may not even be required for the plan as presented anymore. That being said maybe the Dark one wants to destroy the other gods and build his own world the the old ones place. I wonder how Redcloak would react to the possibility that he is just a puppet for petty revenge.
    The important difference here is that the Dark One would have leverage in the prior case that he doesn't in this one. If the world gets remade without him having that leverage (especially if it comes out that his divinely sanctioned priest is the one trying to control the gates - which is something that Roy might divulge), I doubt that the other gods will give him all the influence he thinks he deserves.
    Last edited by Kilo24; 2015-08-13 at 03:37 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Well, it confirms that the gods agree with the general gist of the story we've been told, at least.
    Yeah. And since the forum doesn't get advance information as a rule, I'm guessing there'll be some in-comic confirmation in the next few strips.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Why didn't Roy bring up the world in the rift?! It seems to me that the gods themselves don't fully understand what is happening. Even if the gods can't hear him, I would expect him to mention it in his rousing speech.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DR27 View Post
    Why didn't Roy bring up the world in the rift?! It seems to me that the gods themselves don't fully understand what is happening. Even if the gods can't hear him, I would expect him to mention it in his rousing speech.
    Roy: "Hey, I'm the mortal asking you to give me more time to fix the problem, but there's a planet in that rift, I have no idea how it got there or what it means, but it may be important. Anyway, like I was saying, I'm totally able to solve the problem and will do so if you give me some more time, I understand what needs to be done and I'll do it. Except for that planet thing, it's got me totally baffled. Hope it's not too relevant to what I need to do or whether I'm actually able to solve the problem."

Loki: "Screw it everyone, I'm changing my vote to Yes."

I assume you have something else in mind, just what about the planet do you think he SHOULD be saying about the planet?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

smile Re: OOTS #998 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, gods of different pantheons do not meet in person anymore, lest any debates or squabbles turn into Snarl Jr.
    Theory that Monster In The Darkness is Snarl Jr. is disproved then. Or... Not?

Quote Originally Posted by Forikroder View Post
    it was called with only 3 days notice, which should be around the time Xykon apeared at kraagors gate i think thats too mcuh a coincidence
    Agreed. And how awesome they finnaly decided to act... Sigh. Next time try to do something before the "KRAAAAAAAKOOOOOOOM" noise!

In OOtS universe the year is 1185. I'm right? Let's read this stip again then.

Panel 6. The Orlace says that he is going to die again on March 26, year 1187... So I think gods will not destroy the world. But I can't wait to see what will happen next!

And I hope if Durkula will vote for "Yes" for destroying the world, Roy will not start rambling:

Durkon! What the heck!? This is not the right way!

And finnaly will be reacting like he should be. This strip basically allowed this kind of stiuation to occur.

Btw. Anyone knows what is happening at the places where other rifts are located?
    Last edited by Hazetar; 2015-08-13 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Question!

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Why would Loki vote yes? I mean, seriously, where's the fun in that??

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    I assume you have something else in mind, just what about the planet do you think he SHOULD be saying about the planet?
    Actually, your speech is quintessential Roy. I totally think he would say something like that.

If I was pressed, I would expect Roy to include it in his speech because the gods think that they know what will happen, and the fact that they don't know about the world within the rift implies that they don't know as much as they think they do. That perhaps, the Snarl is more powerful now, or no longer exists, and re-creating the world is not an option or unnecessary - saving this one is the preferred option.

Basically, Roy can (futility, they can't hear him) try do two things: 1) instill confidence in his ability to save the world, and 2) sow doubt that the gods can actually remake the prison.
    Last edited by DR27; 2015-08-13 at 03:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

So, the gods can only hear each other, and not the people. Sounds like politics here on Earth.

Don't Ban me Bro...
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Hoping it's not a violation of rules to speculate upon this, but I think Rich had this entire sequence more or less ready to go before publishing the first strip, because he knew that waiting a long time to see the next episode would be agonizing to his readers. It's also likely that this particular scene has been bouncing around in his brain for years; this is a climatic moment.
    Well, after all those years, I'm more on the opinion that multiple-comic updates are due to the fact that The Giant always delivers a punchline at the last panel of the update. When the plot gets too convulted than he can't get a punchline in the last panel of a page, he waits until drawing the next one and posts them all in one go.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    I must be blind, I only realized today that the High Priest of Odin is in fact a woman. I also love all the other bodyguards, the Giant really did a great job with them. The Clerics too.
    So you're a Cleric of Hoder?

Quote Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
    Way more fun having a world full of people that you know than a world you don't. Even chaotic gods have schemes.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DR27 View Post
    In-comic Answer: Roy has no reason to think that the gods don't already know about the other planet. Just because he didn't know—and Shojo didn't know—doesn't mean that the gods don't know. Whether they know or not, it is not unreasonable for Roy to assume that they do and just weren't sharing.

Out-of-comic Answer: There is only so much room I am willing to spend on a speech that ultimately really only matters for what it says about Roy. I chose to focus on the emotional aspects that Roy might speak about rather than having him bring up something the audience already knows to people who can't hear him anyway. This strip had enough words already.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

18. - Top - End - #108

ClericGirl

Hmmm... I wonder what Hel will ask for in exchange for her unexpected last-minute swing vote...

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

So, the souls wouldn't be destroyed. And they would create a new world, in which Goblins may have an equal voice (making Redcloak a winner as well). I know what his God would vote, but considering he's not here, he may not be invited to pitch in at all.

I'm kind of rooting for world destruction now. I mean, not quite as good as "the goblins get better rights in this world, not the next one" but still not too bad. In a world where the afterlife exists and everyone knows it, death just isn't completely as bad.

Now, the big problem is the alignment afterlives. They could end up separating families, friends, loved ones in general. If they're not allowed to visit, that part definitely sucks.

Either way, I don't think the comic is going in this direction. Whatever direction it's going, I'm sure it will be great, and I know the story ends well... for some, but I'm still worried about my favourite character and his entire race.

I was surprised that only 2 Gods said their piece, but having all of them speak would take way too long I guess.

20. - Top - End - #110

Planetar

Hey, but did anyone comment about the strip title? It immediately made me think about Phil. No, not the lawyer!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Huh.

I am not surprised by any of this in the least for some reason. I mean, of course the gods are out of touch with people, of course the argument against destroying the world sounds like an irresponsible person trying to procrastinate, of course the only person actually caring about the lives on the ground is the guy that has actually lived among people. Won't be surprised when the vote somehow doesn't destroy the world though.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #112
    Bugbear in the Playground

"The Gods can only hear each other."

Too bad they don't have the remote sensing divine ability that 3.x deities normally have

23. - Top - End - #113

In panel 9 (when the gods' images are being summoned), it should be either "proxy" or "proxies".
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Loki - technically the evil god - being the one defending the mortals was a genious touch, and something typical of Rich nowdays. Loved it!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
    A constantly increasing supply of people to play tricks on vs playing tricks on the same guys for all eternity.

Or he's just a high stakes kind of guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    "Just because the DM lets you break the game, doesn't mean the game is broken."
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    "My Patron is Steven Spielberg"
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    For some reason this feels really fitting; I got a mental image of a bunch of psions setting up a LAN party.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Well, at least Roy didn't get them kicked out of the place. That might end up mattering.

This strip had enough words already.
    I, for one, look forward to the extended monologues in this comic. So many witty asides. <3
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Where is HPoH? Durkula may have just walked through the center and away for some other purpose.

I suspect Xykon already has the final gate under his command, which is why they're not waiting.

First panel there's an orc, so perhaps Dark Lord is there?

This is an amazing story, I'm just loving it and while I KNOW there wont be an update in under 24 hours, I'm sure I"ll check back 6 more times before then.

Mal
    Last edited by Malfarian; 2015-08-13 at 05:15 PM.
    Ancient gamer slowly rising from torpor, please forgive my ignorance of these modern times.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Which god will proclaim "Make OOTS Great Again!"?
    Ancient gamer slowly rising from torpor, please forgive my ignorance of these modern times.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

What I like about this strip is that it confirms that the gods knew about the rifts and the gates the entire time - they just decided to let the mortals try to handle it.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Huh

You know, I'm actually really surprised that destroying the world won't destroy the souls of everyone in it. I'd always figured that the permanent destruction of the immortal souls of all their followers was the main thing stopping the gods from just hitting the reset button.

Nice speech though, Roy
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!