New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [MTG] What is the philosophical difference between Black/Green and Black/White?

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    I also had help on MTG (finally, after two days) and I realized I should reintroduce myself to MTG slowly by getting a deck that people say it works first and that I understand teh mecanics. Only then will I get some enjoyement in playing again.
    As mentioned, tgva's reponse was to LoyalPaladin for his commander deck. The Atheros deck you brewed up was perfectly viable for casual magic—just not in specific formats with odd deckbuilding restrictions like Commander, or competitive environments. Honestly, the best way to learn to have fun with the game again is to get a silly deck that you enjoy against other peoples' silly decks, and learn from what's effective, not effective, fun, and not fun.

The weak point of your deck, if you're curious, is mostly in that Wall of Shards is mostly dead weight without Tainted Remedy. Tainted Remedy has the inherent problem that a second copy does nothing, and that you aren't guaranteed to get a copy of it each game.

EDIT: Can you suggest me a good deck where Stonecloaker would be a nice addition? It is my personnal favorite card so far... I can do without I guess but Im curious.

Also, I might just do a Aristocrat deck. It had the playstyle I had in mind and it looks fun to play. Their is also a budget version of it so it will be nice to try that out.
    The last place I saw Stonecloaker in a competitive environment (which, I will reiterate, not the best way to learn to play again) was in a deck called Death and Taxes. You could use it to save a creature that was going to die in combat/die to a removal spell, use it to get another enter the battlefield effect (such as with Thraben Inquisitor or Blade Splicer), or you could use it in horrible ways with Mangara of Corondor.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwanch View Post
    If you put it that way, I still fit both B/G and B/W, but I fit B/W a little more. That said, I still do random acts of kindness every now and then if I feel my needs are met for the day and I hate seeing individuals being oppressed by big groups, especially if the oppression isn’t to benefit me in some way. I try to get rid of laws through legal means if they both aren’t of use to me and trample individual rights. I love individual rights.
    That sounds WAY more B/G than B/W. B/W is, in its purest form, about setting up systems to benefit yourself using community as a tool. The Obzedat from Ravnica was one of the best examples of this, as they essentially set up an entire worldwide guild of Ravnica as a pyramid scheme with themselves and their descendents on top... with the caveat that they're immortal in death, and get to keep spending. To them, the law is about your rights, not everyone else's.

Even the 'nice' examples, like Sorin Markov, created his archangel Avacyn for the purposes of killing vampires like himself and other creatures who went bump in the night for the sole purpose of ensuring that vampires would never overpredate the population.

On the other hand, Golgari did tend to be prone to kindness, and are about creating a level playing field to thrive in. Anything goes. Do nice things for people, because it doesn't hurt and it might help at some point? Golgari's down with it, while Orzhov tend to require repayment. It says something that on the city of guilds, the Golgari feed the entire planet with free food, while the Orzhov run the biggest extortion racket in the multiverse.

But, as a good rule of thumb, the one thing that the Magic color philosophy team did to determine what drove a two-color combination was to figure out what it hates the most. Golgari hate U/W: They hate law, arbitrary restrictions, and the idiocy of ideas suppressing everyone's potential. Orzhov hate G/R: They hate the wild and free, savages who take down civilization and respond to a man with a contract by sending back his head. Which do you hate more? Lawyers, or barbarians? That's what really tells you where your color alignment lies.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Magic The Gathering Thread XXIII: Modern is Dead, Long Live Modern

Thank you Fable Wright for your opinion!

I truly appreciate your concern! To be honest, yeah, Im not into competive plays. I just wanna have fun. But in the same time, I have to play with strangers mostly because I dont have any friends in the city I am now to play with. So I have to consider that their WILL be competitive players trying to get familiar with competitive decks, ruining the fun of casual players like me.

It's in fact two of the reason I stopped playing magic to begin with. I lost my old friends who I played with and I had to play against such players. And that was when they didnt try to cheat with the rules or try to rip you off in trades.

Personnaly, I like ALL of the gargoyles cards. Stonecloaker is just the one with one of the effect I like the most: Flash. And it both save a creature as well as removing a card from graveyard, which I approuve.

After a bit of digging, I realized that the fearies deck also have Flash, a lot. But they are difficult to learn for a newbie like me. The Fearie Copter deck sound both cute, hilarious and fun to play. The decklist I found included ninjas too, I loved their ninjutsu Ability! It would also be the first time Im considering playing a blue deck in fact as I normally HATE blue decks that just counter your every moves as well as the sea creatures it often has. Its in fact one of the reason I considered having a EDH deck with Dragonlord Dromoka as its commander and with " Grand Abolisher " as one of the cards. I respect decks that "seals" better then one that "counter" your every moves

Thank you for pointing out the weakness of my build idea. When I was building it, I was splashing green for things like Nature Claim or Reverent Silence to both give me HP and giving the deck a few other cards that give LP to the opponent. But I wasnt comfortable in splashing in 3 colors as I never did before. And also most of the cards I thought off were not compatible in modern.

So for now, Im torned between a budget effective " Aristocrat " or " Faerie Copter " deck for normal playing... I dont know enough about EDH to know if my idea about Dragonlord Dromoka is a good one yet. Might make one with Athreos God of Passage if I can find a good deck for it?

I heard EDH can be quite easy on a budget since you need a lot of cards and the costly ones can have have 1 copy. It's true?
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-04-02 at 05:28 AM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    The issue is, even with 22 lands in the deck, in order to have more than 50% odds of hitting six land drops you'll need to look at 16 cards. Since you start with 7, that means you'd need to draw 9 cards before you play your 6-drop, which means it isn't happening until approximately turn 9 or 10. That's late enough that in a large number of games Aurelia is just going to be dead in your hand. If you want to play for games going that late, you probably want to be retooling the entire deck to be much more controlling. Otherwise, if you're worried about going that late in the game you would rather have some cards which are powerful in the late game but also do something earlier on. A good example is an Act of Treason variant - it's useful for hijacking someone's blocker to finish them off in a 'standard' game end, but it's also very good against huge fatties that may turn up if the game goes late enough. Other examples would be Hellrider, some equipment, Deflecting Palm, Mirran Crusader, and effects that let you go later in the game by recurring previously removed creatures, like Sword of Light and Shadow, or creating multiple bodies for a single card, like Gideon AoZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    You can look at this article for an idea of how many coloured lands you need and this one for how many lands total.

Using those guidelines, your deck as posted wants 23 land, with 20 sources of white and red each, so you can at most have 6 single colour lands. If you drop Slayer's Stronghold, you can add in 2 more Clifftop Retreats and 2 Inspiring Vantages, dropping whatever 3 things you don't like.
    Ok, I've tried to take in your thoughts. I don't know how well I managed, though. The changes I made are:

-1 Slayer's Stronghold
    I do like the fairly powerful and cheap effect, but it does seem like a colorless land could provide a few minor issues.

-2 Goblin Guide
    A 2/2 for 1 is definitely nice but I shouldn't be racing my opponents in land count if I'm not looking to win super quick.

-2 Figure of Destiny
    Technically, takes more mana to get online than Mirran Crusader does but Figure of Destiny can go higher than Mirran Crusader can. Not entirely sure if I like this change as I am removing two 1CMC cards for two 3 CMC cards.

-1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    I have no idea if this change is correct or not, to be honest. I swapped it out for Sword of Light and Shadow. I think Light and Shadow might be the better choice because being able to occasionally recur something should be better than being able to occasionally draw an extra card.

-1 Ajani Vengeant
    Honestly, I didn't like him that much to begin with. I replaced him with Nahiri, the Harbinger.

-1 Archangel Avacyn
    Honestly, I just don't think she was that great. Also, when she flips, she takes out most of my creatures.

+2 Clifftop Retreat
    Bring the count on this up to 4 and I should be able to have it always come into play untapped, even if I have to do a bit of damage to myself to do it.

+2 Needle Spires
    Yeah, I know Inspiring Vantage is what was suggested, I went with Needle Spires instead. I still don't like cards that enter tapped, which I feel like Inspiring Vantage would do most of the time as only a two of, but Needle Spires at least gives me something to do with my mana either when I'm top decking badly or if I just have a bunch of extra mana off of Feast and Famine.

+2 Mirran Crusader
    2/2 Double Strike w/Protection from Black and Green. This was actually in earlier, more aggro focused versions of the deck and I don't mind bringing it back.

+1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    See Sword of Fire and Ice.

+1 Nahiri, the Harbinger
    She brings a lot of effects that I simply didn't have, or had very little of. Looting on her +2, Enchantment/Artifact/Creature removal on her -2, and tutoring as her ultimate to let me get out something like Aurelia or to grab a Sword or Sunforger and pound in the damage even further.

Some cards I have been thinking of, but don't know how to really add in, are Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, he does seem to be really powerful but I just don't know what I'd remove to include him, and Bomat Courier, card draw is something my deck/color sorely lacks. A new concern also comes up, now, as I'm down to only 15 creatures. I'm really hoping that doesn't turn into an issue.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/new-...?cb=1522661228
    Last edited by Suichimo; 2018-04-02 at 06:00 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124

So for now, Im torned between a budget effective " Aristocrat " or " Faerie Copter " deck for normal playing... I dont know enough about EDH to know if my idea about Dragonlord Dromoka is a good one yet. Might make one with Athreos God of Passage if I can find a good deck for it?

I heard EDH can be quite easy on a budget since you need a lot of cards and the costly ones can have have 1 copy. It's true?
    I'll go and recommend U/W Monks. It averages under $2/card, and flooding the board with small tokens at the end of you opponent's turn and then making them giant attackers on your turn may be to your taste.

EDH is... great to build on a budget for someone who already has a collection. You can technically throw together a bunch of Commons until you get to the card count, but it won't be much fun to play. The sad thing is that commander becoming popular has made the better/more fun commander cards more expensive. Though, if you get one of the pre-con Commander boxes, that's a great starting point.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

I've built several fun commander decks for under the price of a precon (aimed at ~$30, some are closer to $32 and some closer to $30). It's entirely doable, but hard to do if you don't know how to use search engines and find what you're looking for. There's a lot of powerful cards that are under $1, though, so while you won't build the best Commander deck possible, you can build some pretty effective ones for cheap.

That said, if you're looking for a budget format, I would not suggest Commander. Honestly, Pauper is probably the best budget format, if you can find people around who play it.

Also, Qwanch's philosophy sounds to me like W than anything. Possibly WG or WU, actually.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    I'll go and recommend U/W Monks. It averages under $2/card, and flooding the board with small tokens at the end of you opponent's turn and then making them giant attackers on your turn may be to your taste.

EDH is... great to build on a budget for someone who already has a collection. You can technically throw together a bunch of Commons until you get to the card count, but it won't be much fun to play. The sad thing is that commander becoming popular has made the better/more fun commander cards more expensive. Though, if you get one of the pre-con Commander boxes, that's a great starting point.
    Can I call you sensei?

I know you couldn't have know but back then, I had a earthcraft/squirrel nest deck when I didnt know it wasnt legal to have it in serious matches. So flooding a field with tokens will actually be very nostalgic

I watched the video, might do some slight changes:

1) Replace " Apostle Blessing " by " Brave The Elements "

Most of our deck use white creature except for the copter. It prevent sweeping and the copter is nice but artefact get easily removed anyway. Its also relatively the same price AND one mana cheaper.

2) Replace " Shared Discovery " with " Chart a Course "

I do not like the idea of typing 4 monsters to draw three cards. I would rather discard if I dont attack. It seem like a safer option. And with " Brave the Storm ", it make me think of Osano-Wo Monks in Legends of the Five Ring. Sure the card is a bit more costly but I guess it cannot be helped. I do NOT want Shared Discovery in my deck lol

3) Replace " Gather the Townpeople" with "Beckon Apparition"

Sure its one less token BUT its also one less mana. It create a FLYING token that is both white and black. It also remove a card from any graveyard for it. Definitly better for both speed and go agaisnt graveyard strategy. Its also a instant, which I love.

Overral, I love the deck, thank you for your suggestion!

===========

I guess I 'll look up the premade EDH COmmander boxes card list and pick my favorite one. Might go with that elf planewalker one
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-04-02 at 10:01 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127

1) Replace " Apostle Blessing " by " Brave The Storm "

Most of our deck use white creature except for the copter. It prevent sweeping and the copter is nice but artefact get easily removed anyway. Its also relatively the same price AND one mana cheaper.
    It actually doesn't prevent a sweep; right now, protection doesn't save you from Wrath of God-type effects. That said, it's a good swap. The only time you might feel some regret is when you run into Affinity decks, which do have some bignasty artifact creatures, but protection will usually not be winning you the game in those cases.

2) Replace " Shared Discovery " with " Chart a Course "

I do not like the idea of typing 4 monsters to draw three cards. I would rather discard if I dont attack. It seem like a safer option. And with " Brave the Storm ", it make me think of Osano-Wo Monks in Legends of the Five Ring. Sure the card is a bit more costly but I guess it cannot be helped. I do NOT want Shared Discovery in my deck lol
    There's one bit of critical information you might not have realized: Creatures can't attack the turn they come into play, but they can tap for Shared Discovery. So, let's say for example, you cast Gather the Townsfolk with a Monastery Mentor out, then you get three tokens, which can't attack that turn. You can tap those plus one other creature to draw three cards for one mana. You've been out of Magic for a while, I know, but the difference between three cards and two is huge.

Think of it like this. When you cast Shared Discovery, you pay 2 mana and lose one card to draw two cards. Net benefit: Two mana for a net gain of one card. With Shared Discovery, you pay one mana, for a net gain of two cards. It's like casting two Chart a Course, for half the mana of one Chart. It's easily the second-strongest card in the deck, after Monastery Mentor.

3) Replace " Gather the Townpeople" with "Beckon Apparition"

Sure its one less token BUT its also one less mana. It create a FLYING token that is both white and black. It also remove a card from any graveyard for it. Definitly better for both speed and go agaisnt graveyard strategy. Its also a instant, which I love.
    I'd go with Beckon Apparition in the sideboard. There's a drawback in the card you might not have realized: If there's nothing in the graveyard, you're not able to cast it. So on turn 1, you can't cast it unless the opponent specifically uses a Fetchland, which is maybe 1/3rd of the time. The other advantage is that Gather the Townpeople is better with Shared Discovery, which (granted) isn't your favorite card in the deck, but I'd play with the Townpeople first, then experiment with swapping it for Beckon Apparition.

Also, the handful of times when you get 5 tokens for 2 mana, it's great. (Also, twice the bodies to fuel Smuggler's Copter.)

Overral, I love the deck, thank you for your suggestion!
    No problem! Always happy to help.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

If you want a silly budget commander, just build Narset.....
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

EDIT: Can you suggest me a good deck where Stonecloaker would be a nice addition? It is my personnal favorite card so far... I can do without I guess but Im curious.
    If you wanna play commander I'd say it's pretty playable in Roon. Just buy the Bant, (Blue green white), Roon is in there as one of the commanders. You can just play that and add more cards as you get them, and I think stonecloaker would fit in.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #130
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

So, along with still needing help with my previous deck, I just bought in to SaffronOlive's GW Huatli/Cultivator deck because it looked incredibly fun and I was able to do it for under $50. Looking ahead to when it isn't Standard, what kind of upgrades do you think should go into it, beyond the obvious Doubling Season. At least in Dominaria, Song of Freyalise looks like it could be fun, though the timing might be weird. Seems like Saproling Migration is just a strictly better Servo Exhibition.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Hey guys. I managed to get a key to Magic the Gather Arena in it's closed beta and I'm thinking about making some youtube videos on it. Was just wondering if anyone here was interested and also anyone that would like to share their expertise in the game? I haven't played magic for a while and I'm pretty rusty with it. So any help to bring me up to speed and critique my play would be appreciated.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

My main Commander deck, and really the only deck I consistently play anymore is Based around Karn, Silver Golem.

Its a Tool-box style deck where it ranges from everything from General Damage to Big creatures to Combo's to win.

Some fun combos that have happened:

Unblockable infect 11/11.
    Indestructable Platinum Angel
    Equipment coming to life and attacking things with other equipment.
    Plus, all sorts of hate for graveyards/spot removal/etc.

Its about my favorite deck ever.

The deck list is https://deckstats.net/decks/86533/72...s-tool-belt/en

On a related note: The new Dominaria Set looks simply amazing. Gonna have to get some new cards for it.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I looked at Dominaria Set spoilers and got a chuckle. I had looked up if their was a card called " Unwind " sometime before. I was curious as I thought it would be a great name for a card. Looks like MTG got the idea just a bit before me. The card effect is not bad either

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [MTG] What is the philosophical difference between Black/Green and Black/White?

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    As mentioned, tgva's reponse was to LoyalPaladin for his commander deck. The Atheros deck you brewed up was perfectly viable for casual magic—just not in specific formats with odd deckbuilding restrictions like Commander, or competitive environments. Honestly, the best way to learn to have fun with the game again is to get a silly deck that you enjoy against other peoples' silly decks, and learn from what's effective, not effective, fun, and not fun.

The weak point of your deck, if you're curious, is mostly in that Wall of Shards is mostly dead weight without Tainted Remedy. Tainted Remedy has the inherent problem that a second copy does nothing, and that you aren't guaranteed to get a copy of it each game.

The last place I saw Stonecloaker in a competitive environment (which, I will reiterate, not the best way to learn to play again) was in a deck called Death and Taxes. You could use it to save a creature that was going to die in combat/die to a removal spell, use it to get another enter the battlefield effect (such as with Thraben Inquisitor or Blade Splicer), or you could use it in horrible ways with Mangara of Corondor.

That sounds WAY more B/G than B/W. B/W is, in its purest form, about setting up systems to benefit yourself using community as a tool. The Obzedat from Ravnica was one of the best examples of this, as they essentially set up an entire worldwide guild of Ravnica as a pyramid scheme with themselves and their descendents on top... with the caveat that they're immortal in death, and get to keep spending. To them, the law is about your rights, not everyone else's.

Even the 'nice' examples, like Sorin Markov, created his archangel Avacyn for the purposes of killing vampires like himself and other creatures who went bump in the night for the sole purpose of ensuring that vampires would never overpredate the population.

On the other hand, Golgari did tend to be prone to kindness, and are about creating a level playing field to thrive in. Anything goes. Do nice things for people, because it doesn't hurt and it might help at some point? Golgari's down with it, while Orzhov tend to require repayment. It says something that on the city of guilds, the Golgari feed the entire planet with free food, while the Orzhov run the biggest extortion racket in the multiverse.

But, as a good rule of thumb, the one thing that the Magic color philosophy team did to determine what drove a two-color combination was to figure out what it hates the most. Golgari hate U/W: They hate law, arbitrary restrictions, and the idiocy of ideas suppressing everyone's potential. Orzhov hate G/R: They hate the wild and free, savages who take down civilization and respond to a man with a contract by sending back his head. Which do you hate more? Lawyers, or barbarians? That's what really tells you where your color alignment lies.
    Its hard to tell. I can reason with a lawyer, but I like the barbarian’s simplicity and directness. On the otherhand, the barbarian’s resortion to violence scares me and the lawyer’s love of law for its own sale can get old. A lawyer who enriches me while making me look good and getting rid of laws which hurt me or the populace and don’t help me or the populace can be useful.

While I’m too forgiving and open to “win-win” scenarios to be evil, I’m too selfish and hungry to be good. I’m solidly neutral. I have both lawful and chaotic aspects, but probably come out of the wash neutral on that axis as well.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Banned

While I’m too forgiving and open to “win-win” scenarios to be evil, I’m too selfish and hungry to be good. I’m solidly neutral. I have both lawful and chaotic aspects, but probably come out of the wash neutral on that axis as well.
    So basically, fictional axis dont fit you because you are a human being, not a caricature / simplified 'identifiable' fantasy character. Who knew?

16. - Top - End - #136
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    So basically, fictional axis dont fit you because you are a human being, not a caricature / simplified 'identifiable' fantasy character. Who knew?
    That's what (in D&D) True Neutral (or Unaligned) is for - those characters that don't fit neatly into either end of the spectrum.

The tricky part, is when you have a character who does Good things that Neutral or Evil characters generally wouldn't do, and Evil things that even Neutral characters generally wouldn't do.

making major personal sacrifices to help strangers for Neutral,
    being genuinely forgiving and merciful toward an Enemy for Evil,
    harming and destroying souls, for Good to Neutral

An extremely self-sacrificing and merciful guy who destroys souls, doesn't really fit anywhere. Meaning the DM has to make the call. In these cases I'd say the Evil trait trumps the other ones, and that this character is an oddball Evil character.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Is this black/green?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Dominaria brewing
    Show

I'm trying to put together an Esper control deck for Dominaria. I've worked out a mana base that hits my colour requirements, now I just need to cut down my decklist to 60 cards. At the moment I have 27 lands plus these 37 cards:

Spells
    3x Fatal Push
    2x Cast Down
    3x Vraska's Contempt
    3x Syncopate
    1x Essence Scatter
    3x Supreme Will
    2x Disallow
    4x Hieroglyphic Illumination
    2x Settle the Wreckage
    2x Fumigate

Permanents
    3x Seal Away
    2x Authority of the Consuls
    2x Teferi, Hero of Dominaria
    2x Torrential Gearhulk
    1x The Scarab God
    2x Search for Azcanta

I'd really like to put in Pull from Tomorrow and Approach of the Second Sun as well, but I'm oversize already. Any suggestions for cuts?
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Given that it's just a natural predator eating its prey, it's probably just Green.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Spoiler: Dominaria brewing
    Show

I'm trying to put together an Esper control deck for Dominaria. I've worked out a mana base that hits my colour requirements, now I just need to cut down my decklist to 60 cards. At the moment I have 27 lands plus these 37 cards:

Spells
    3x Fatal Push
    2x Cast Down
    3x Vraska's Contempt
    3x Syncopate
    1x Essence Scatter
    3x Supreme Will
    2x Disallow
    4x Hieroglyphic Illumination
    2x Settle the Wreckage
    2x Fumigate

Permanents
    3x Seal Away
    2x Authority of the Consuls
    2x Teferi, Hero of Dominaria
    2x Torrential Gearhulk
    1x The Scarab God
    2x Search for Azcanta

I'd really like to put in Pull from Tomorrow and Approach of the Second Sun as well, but I'm oversize already. Any suggestions for cuts?

Why Seal Away and Hieroglyphic Illumination over Cast Out and Glimmer of Genius? Also, Authority of the Consuls is more a sideboard card vs monored than something you run main deck, so I'd probably cut those for your Pull/Approach.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    Why Seal Away and Hieroglyphic Illumination over Cast Out and Glimmer of Genius? Also, Authority of the Consuls is more a sideboard card vs monored than something you run main deck, so I'd probably cut those for your Pull/Approach.
    Seal Away can be cast with the two lands untapped with Teferi's +1. Hieroglyphic can be cantripped early to help me get all my colours. Contempt is my big kill anything card over Cast Out, although with the counter suite and gearhulks I might go down to 2.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Surely THAT is Black/Green?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Feels way more black/red to me. He's doing it just to be a spiteful jerk.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Feels way more black/red to me. He's doing it just to be a spiteful jerk.
    What about Ganondorf from Legend of Zelda. Is he Black/Green?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I think I see Black/Green as opportunists out of misery. Or at least that their point of view of death is just a other part of life.

Unlike white/green, they arent doing what they do for the greater good.

Unlike white/dark, they arent just about to control life itself for their own advantage.

Green/Dark is more about death is not the end. Its just a other tool to use. corpse are just a other thing to use. They lack the morality of white toward life. I see locust as being green/dark.

Most archeologist would be green/dark if you ask me. Or any gravediggers. Or anyone wanting to get something out of someone for their own needs.

Remember, green/dark don't bother with morals or laws. Genetic Scientific who feel restrained by laws also fall in Green/dark.
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-04-11 at 01:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

I think I see Black/white as opportunists out of misery. Or at least that their point of view of death is just a other part of life.

Unlike white/green, they arent doing what they do for the greater good.

Unlike white/dark, they arent just about to control life itself for their own advantage.

Green/Dark is more about death is not the end. Its just a other tool to use. corpse are just a other thing to use. They lack the morality of white toward life. I see locust as being green/dark.

Most archeologist would be green/dark if you ask me. Or any gravediggers. Or anyone wanting to get something out of someone for their own needs.

Remember, green/dark don't bother with morals or laws. Genetic Scientific who feel restrained by laws also fall in Green/dark.
    is that first black/white a typo?

27. - Top - End - #147

A good example of B/G in the real world would be the first time humans domesticated wolves. We co-opted the natural order by getting a wolf to accept a human as its alpha, creating a symbiotic relationship in the process.

Another example would be intentionally swallowing a tapeworm to lose weight. You're taking advantage of natural green parasitism for your own ambitions, with the intent to kill your partner at the end of it before he kills you.

Recycling plants are another form of B/G. Basically, if you ever saw something in the wild and thought "I can make money off of this", that's likely B/G. Mushroom farming? Composting? Willow bark medicine? Sweating the poison out of dart frogs for use on arrowheads?

Same goes for urban environments, though examples are harder to find. Sleeping on the metro in lieu of renting a place? Using a bird feeder to lure in birds and squirrels for a cheap dinner? Little low-budget life hacks to eke out a living are most likely B/G.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

is that first black/white a typo?
    Ah yes it was. Corrected.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Mark Rosewater's listed examples for black-green are Poison Ivy, Venom, and the villain from 12 Monkeys.

This TVTropes article has probably the best analysis of the colour pie I've read online, so you can look there if you have more questions.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

To follow up with the "Magic Deck" theme, I present - G/W Landfall

Deck Contents:

4 Tireless Tracker
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
    4 Mana Tithe
    4 Steppe Lynx
    2 Lotus Cobra
    2 Rampaging Baloths
    4 Ghost Quarter
    4 Forest
    3 Plains
    4 Horizon Canopy
    4 Temple Garden
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Stirring Wildwood
    3 Scattered Groves
    4 Collected Company
    2 Nissa, Vital Force
    2 Khalni Heart Expedition
    2 Splendid Reclamation

Sideboard:

2 Fracturing Gust
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    3 Broken Bond
    3 Path to Exile
    2 Kitchen Finks

This deck is a lot of fun, and has some crazy ramp using landfall triggers. It requires attention to detail, as depending on when you use those landfall triggers (your turn vs your opponent's turn) can have a big difference!

Your easy/early beater is the Steppe Lynx. If you put down a fetch land, and crack it, that's 2 landfall drops, and your 0/1 is now a 4/5. Swinging for 4 dmg on turn 2 isn't bad, especially if you can repeat it on turn 3 with a 2nd Lynx drop. Unfortunately, it does die easily (Push, bolt, etc), so don't expect it to last too long. Next up we have the Lotus Cobra. In and of itself it's not much of a card, but every land drop generating 1 additional mana is huge for your ramp. Again, it dies easily, but remember, fetch lands also count as a land drop - even if you can't crack it for mana, it can still give you mana, so you get a 2-fer on the land drop, plus being able to tap for another one. Pretty sweet! Your next most powerful is the Tireless Tracker - this card is a house, plain and simple. Not only does it get bigger with every clue you crack, but the clues also generate card draw, so you keep plenty of tricks up your sleeve. Knight of the Reliquary follows in a similar role, except for every land in the graveyard, it gets bigger. A few fetchlands or basic lands in your graveyard and he gets scary fast. Plus you can use his ability to pull up multiple landfall triggers, making your Tracker and Lynx huge. Rampaging Baloth is your "end game" - pumping out 4/4's with every landfall. Seeing a pattern here?

The planeswalkers just add value, as the baby Nissa helps you ramp, and once she flips, her ult can end the game, and her +1 for free card draw/additional land drop is really strong. Big Nissa's ult is just unfair - get her emblem on the table, and you may draw a card with every land that hits the board.

The rest of the deck just allows you to throw creatures on the board fast (Collected Company - Remember, it's instant speed so you can cast it on your opponents turn either for blockers or for additional creatures to attach the following turn) or get crazy amount of landfall drops to end the game (Splendid Reclamation - each land that hits is a potential trigger for everything except Knight of the Reliquary).

You could remove the fetchlands and the Horizon Canopies to bring the overall cost of the deck down, but they do add a huge amount of value to the deck.

Curious to see people's thoughts!