New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Folding@Home

1. - Top - End - #91
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Folding@Home

Well I installed it and havnt noticed anytihng slowing down as of yet (Although vista has had to switch to the basic veiw for it to work >__>), im on 321/1500 as of this moment

I know how people love to ignore a post by a Pixie, heck, I used to! But I am not a Pixie, i've just re-made my account! So on the rare occasion that I post something serious please pay attention to it

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

I run Dual Core, so It's set to Core 2, 100%. But Low Priority.
    When I start a game I usually set it to core 1 anyway to allow the graphics to run properly and not accelerated.
    Cassietar!
    Lilli
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Giant in the Playground Folding Team Update #4

Our team rank this week has reach the top 7,000 (currently 6926th)!

In team news this week:

2 new members have joined our team this week - They are Coolwhoami and ZombieRockStar. Welcome to the team!

Team member point contributions:
    Who has contributed to the team points this week? Here is the list (in alphabetic order):
    adanedhel9, Alarra, Alizhdheg, Archonic_Energy, Bitzeralisis, Coolwhoami, Faust, gaelbert, Jackie, Mobius_Stripped, Philip_Stella, Phoe, potatocubed, Pyro, rward30, tannish2, The_Evil_Thing, zargon, ZebTheTroll and ZombieRockStar!
    With the top 6 members in points gained in the last week being:
    1 Alizhdheg
    2 Bitzeralisis
    3 Pyro
    4 adanedhel9
    5 Archonic_Energy
    6 Mobius_Stripped

Moving up in team ranks (in the top 20):

In the top 10: We have a new leader! Alizhdheg has moved up to take the lead! And Bitzeralisis has moved up 5 to take 3rd! adanedhel9 move up to take 4th! And Archonic_Energy moves up 3 to take 9th!
    In the top 20: ZebTheTroll moves up 18 into 13th! The_Evil_Thing moves up 13 into 15th! And potatocubed moves up 3 into 17th!

Individual Milestones achieved (in points at 1K, 5K, 10K, etc.):

5,000 points: Alizhdheg (the first member of this team that has reached this milestone!)
    1,000 points: ZebTheTroll
    Congratulations to all those that have achieved a new milestone!

Link of the week:
    Wikipedia's F@H entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding%40home (note the main page is fine but ignore the useless discussion page).

p.s. If you have suggestions on how to improve these weekly update reports or any corrections to this or my FAQ type posts, let me know via message or post.

4. - Top - End - #94

When I look at the team list my nane isnt on there, can anyone explain how to join? I've entered the team ID into the part its supposed to go in, and when i click the 'go to team home page' button it takes me to GitP

I know how people love to ignore a post by a Pixie, heck, I used to! But I am not a Pixie, i've just re-made my account! So on the rare occasion that I post something serious please pay attention to it

5. - Top - End - #95
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The 6th Side View Post
    When I look at the team list my nane isnt on there, can anyone explain how to join? I've entered the team ID into the part its supposed to go in, and when i click the 'go to team home page' button it takes me to GitP
    I find the same 6th. I presume you don't get entered on the team roster until you've completed a work unit for them. Makes sense in a way as there would be nothing meaningful to measure until that point...

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Indeed so. You don't show up on the rankings until you've completed a work unit. Those who are showing up on our list with 0 points are doing so because when they completed one, something was wrong with it and they ended up earning 0 points for it.

Also, I play EverQuest 2 with what some would call alarming frequency. I'm running the console app (found the pretty graphics of the normal app were making too much of an impact on my system, even when it was minimized). I have found that running Folding@Home has 0 impact on my game while running it. I'm running it at 100% CPU, accepting large projects AND advanced projects.

What happens is F@H is set to a minimum priority, and EQ2 runs at normal priority. So when EQ2 opens up, it takes all my system resources (damned program is a beast), leaving none for F@H. Since EQ2 has the higher priority, F@H just sits in the background waiting for me to finish so it can resume. That way I don't have to worry about manually pausing it, or anything like that.

I hope this helps.

Oh, have we decided how we're going to spread the word on the forums?

Edit: Rephrased my last comment to not sound rude (as it isn't meant to be)
    Last edited by Al'izh'dheg; 2007-09-09 at 11:18 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hmm, I can't upload results from the second client I'm running. It says "Error: Got status code 503 from server."

I've got 3 WUs sitting on my drive doing nothing because I can't upload them.

EDIT: Never mind, I appear to have solved the problem myself.

Ooooh, I'm in the top ten.
    Last edited by The Evil Thing; 2007-09-13 at 04:49 PM.
    Skydiving as an activity does not in itself require a parachute.
    Skydiving as a hobby does.

People who take drugs are bad.
    Blasted customs agents.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

i'm in too !

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Giant in the Playground Folding Team Update #5

Our team rank this week has reach the top 6,000 (currently 5319th)!

In team news this week:
    2 new members have joined our team this week - They are Amazon and frdougal - Welcome to the team!

Who has contributed to the team points this week? Here is the list (in alphabetic order):
    _Simius_, adanedhel9, Alarra, Alizhdheg, Amazon, Archonic_Energy, Beaudoin, Bitzeralisis, Coolwhoami, frdougal, gaelbert, MaxDibe, Mobius_Stripped, Philip_Stella, Phoe, Pyro, rward30, Samiam303, tannish2, The_Evil_Thing, Vespe, zargon, ZebTheTroll and ZombieRockStar!
    With the top 8 members in points gained in the last week being:
    1 Alizhdheg
    2 The_Evil_Thing
    3 frdougal
    4 ZebTheTroll
    5 Bitzeralisis
    6 Mobius_Stripped
    7 Archonic_Energy
    8 rward30

In the top 10: Bitzeralisis has taken 2nd! Mobius_Stripped has move up 3 to take 4th! And Archonic_Energy moves up 3 to take 6th! The_Evil_Thing moves up 8 into 7th! And ZebTheTroll moves up 3 into 10th!
    In the top 20: New member frdougal is in 13th! rward30 moves up 12 into 14th! And Coolwhoami moves up 10 into 15th!

5,000 points: Pyro and Bitzeralisis
    1,000 points: frdougal, Coolwhoami, rward30, Philip_Stella, The_Evil_Thing, tannish2 and Beaudoin

Link of the week:
    An older article on the PS3 & folding: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5287254.stm
    (note: almost everyone can help the research, PS3, Windows, Mac and Linux. Unfortunately at this time Xbox360 and Wii can't)

10. - Top - End - #100

Ok, I'm in, becuase I'm a sucker for stickies. Now, just have to wait the month until my computer calculates a GROMACS core, whatever that is
    New Avatar! Credit and thanks to the amazing Strawberries

11. - Top - End - #101
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Okay, I'm just curious. How the hell do I have 265 WU's done? According to my own little displays, here, I should have 10 as of this post.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Clearly, there was some matter of dissention among your work units, Zeb. They must have revolted and seceded from the Work Unit Empire, creating 265 smaller "states" to your credit.

...Or, there's a glitch in the system. But that seems somehow less likely.
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2007-09-16 at 11:05 AM. Reason: transposing of numbers

13. - Top - End - #103

Somehow, I'm in the top five.

I notice occasional slowdown, especially when I try to play videos. I have to shut down on of the 'clients' for that. Also, Supreme Commander doesn't like it. But then, SupCom doesn't like anything much; it's a very greedy game.

Blasted customs agents.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by The Evil Thing View Post
    Somehow, I'm in the top five.
    I notice occasional slowdown, especially when I try to play videos. I have to shut down on of the 'clients' for that. Also, Supreme Commander doesn't like it. But then, SupCom doesn't like anything much; it's a very greedy game.
    What clients are you using? And what settings are you using?
    Also if you have 1 GB RAM, that could well the reason as SupCom really wants lots of memory (also applies to BF2), and even a few MBs can make a difference in that case.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    Okay, I'm just curious. How the hell do I have 265 WU's done? According to my own little displays, here, I should have 10 as of this post.
    I noticed that but wasn't sure when that had happened (when we reach the top 800, we'll have better stats) so didn't want to comment.
    Check the fahlog.txt file to see what the error was. As different projects works different parts of the CPU, it could be that one type of project is having problems for whatever reason. If OCed, the usual reason is an OC is a bit too high (prime stable isn't good enough) and just a small drop in the OC will fix it.
    However there can be other reasons such as marginal memory. Or in my case (I also lost a few work units this week) it was a bad wireless driver (random reboots because of the bad driver).

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Zargon View Post
    What clients are you using? And what settings are you using?
    Also if you have 1 GB RAM, that could well the reason as SupCom really wants lots of memory (also applies to BF2), and even a few MBs can make a difference in that case.
    One graphical, one text. Both are always minimized. And I have 2GB of RAM, I would never seriously attempt to play any game made after 2006 without that much.

Maybe I should swap out the graphical for another text. It doesn't make an awful lot of difference to me but I don't know how to import settings from one to another.

Blasted customs agents.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by The Evil Thing View Post
    One graphical, one text. Both are always minimized. And I have 2GB of RAM, I would never seriously attempt to play any game made after 2006 without that much.
    Maybe I should swap out the graphical for another text. It doesn't make an awful lot of difference to me but I don't know how to import settings from one to another.
    It could be the graphical client - two 3D apps at the same time might have an impact.
    For the console client, you'd just need to copy fah504-console.exe into a new directory and then run the setup there. I wouldn't suggest importing settings as will have to adjust them anyway. Try it with lower settings (no to >5MB project, no advance projects, 80% cpu use, idle priority and a different machine ID than the other two folding clients) and see how that works (and with the graphic client off!).
    Let us know how it goes!

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Giant in the Playground Folding Team Update #6

Our team rank this week has reach the top 5,000 (currently 4441st as of Saturday night)!

In team news this week
    :
    3 new members have joined our team this week - Krursk, Earthstar and Elektro - Welcome to the team!

_Simius_, adanedhel9, Alarra, Alizhdheg, Amazon
    Archonic_Energy, Beaudoin, Bitzeralisis, Earthstar, Elektro
    Exachix, frdougal, gaelbert, Jackie, Krursk, MaxDibe, Mobius_Stripped, Philip_Stella, Phoe, potatocubed, Pyro, rward30, Samiam303, tannish2, The_Evil_Thing, zargon and ZebTheTroll!
    With the top 10 members in points gained in the last week being:
    1 frdougal
    2 Alizhdheg
    3 ZebTheTroll
    4 Amazon
    5 gaelbert
    6 Bitzeralisis
    7 rward30
    8 Pyro
    9 Mobius_Stripped
    10 zargon

In the top 10: Two new in the top 10! First ZebTheTroll moves up 4 into 6th! And frdougal moves up 5 into 8th!
    In the top 20: Amazon leaps up 15 into 15th! And potatocubed moves up 5 into 17th!

10,000 points: Alizhdheg - congrats on being the first to 10K!
    5,000 points: Mobius_Stripped, gaelbert, ZebTheTroll!,
    1,000 points: MaxDibe, potatocubed, Samiam303, _Simius_ and Amazon

Link of the week:
    There is a new website for folding project news at http://folding.typepad.com/

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is great. I hadn't heard of it before. I joined tonight and will see how it goes. Thanks for posting it!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    This is great. I hadn't heard of it before. I joined tonight and will see how it goes. Thanks for posting it!
    Welcome to the team! and your first WU has been turned in! http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...tupidFatHobbit

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

News: The client version has been updated to beta version 6 for most of the Windows, Mac and Linux clients. The other beta clients (Windows SMP and Windows GUI) have an updated version 5 release as well. No new updates for the PS3 client yet.
    For more information check the FAQ at http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-v6.html
    The download page is at the usual http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html
    Note there is no requirement to change your existing non-beta clients if you don't want to (won't make much of a difference in most cases).

22. - Top - End - #112

I'm glad to see the group is doing so well. I'm going to try to download this new client to see if it will now work on my Com I hope it will.
    [url=http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53501]

50 Unconfirmed Rumors About 4th Ed!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Giant in the Playground Folding Team Update #7

Our team rank this week has reach the top 4,000 (currently 3838th as of Saturday night)! And we've past 100,000 points!

In team news this week:
    5 new members have joined our team this week - Micate, PS3, StupidFatHobbit, Bobnik and e_chuck - Welcome to the team!

_Simius_, adanedhel9, Alarra, Alizhdheg, Amazon, Archonic_Energy, Beaudoin, Bitzeralisis, Bobnik, e_chuck, Elektro, Exachix, frdougal, gaelbert, Jackie, Micate, Mobius_Stripped, Phoe, potatocubed, PS3, Pyro, rward30, Samiam303, StupidFatHobbit, tannish2, Vespe, zargon, ZebTheTroll and ZombieRockStar!
    1 frdougal
    2 Alizhdheg
    3 Mobius_Stripped
    4 ZebTheTroll
    5 rward30
    6 zargon
    7 Archonic_Energy
    8 Amazon
    9 Micate
    10 gaelbert

In the top 10: frdougal jumps by 3 and into 5th! adanedhel9 moves into 9th and into the top 10! And zargon returns back into 10th
    In the top 20: rward30 moves into 12th and Beaudoin moves into 18th

5,000 points: Archonic_Energy, frdougal, Phoe, adanedhel9 and zargon
    1,000 points: Exachix, Jackie and Micate

Links of the week:
    Ver 6 beta has been released. Not a required upgrade nor suggested (unless you want to keep an eye one it or if already using a beta client). For the FAQ check http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-v6.html
    And as mentioned last week, for the lastest in folding news check http://folding.typepad.com/
    Last edited by Zargon; 2007-09-30 at 02:10 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

Downloaded it earlier tonight, and it's been running for an hour or so (6 frames/100 completed, whatever that means... ).
    Rustfoot - my RPG-blog

25. - Top - End - #115
    Pixie in the Playground

And of course I made top 10, and broke 5000 points after you post the updates.
    Oh well, hopefully I'll still be there next week.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Looks like you hung on to spot 8 there, rward. :)

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ack! Our summary is missing!

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Giant in the Playground Folding Team Update #8

Our team rank this week has push past the top 3,500 (currently 3,359 as of Sunday night)! (BTW, there are almost 14,000 active teams currently!).

In team news this week:
    3 new members have joined our team this week - menschenfresser, Nemglan and NisseBosseLasse - Welcome to the team!

_Simius_, adanedhel9, Alarra, Alizhdheg, Amazon, Archonic_Energy, Bitzeralisis, e_chuck, Elektro, frdougal, gaelbert, Jackie, Krursk, menschenfresser, Micate, Mobius_Stripped, Nemglan, NisseBosseLasse, Phoe, potatocubed, rward30, Samiam303, StupidFatHobbit, tannish2, zargon, ZebTheTroll and ZombieRockStar.
    1 Alizhdheg
    2 rward30
    3 Mobius_Stripped
    4 ZebTheTroll
    5 Amazon
    6 frdougal
    7 Micate
    8 Bitzeralisis
    9 Elektro
    10 e_chuck

In the top 10: Mobius_Stripped has taken over the #3 spot, frdougal moves up into 4th and ZebTheTroll takes 5th! rward20 jumps up 4 spots and into the top 10 in 8th!
    In the top 20: Amazon moves to 14th! New in the top 20 is Micate leaping up by 11 into 17th, Krursk up by 14 into 19th and Samiam303 taking 20th!

15,000 points: Alizhdheg
    5,000 points: rward30, Alarra and Amazon
    1,000 points: Elektro, Krursk, StupidFatHobbit and e_chuck

Link of the week:

The list of current projects is at http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html For more information about a project, click on the description link (although some don't have a description yet...)
    If using the console client and want to see the 3D graphics of the project you are working on (listed in the unitinfo.txt file), check jmol at http://jmol.sourceforge.net/fah/
    Last edited by Zargon; 2007-10-08 at 06:47 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yay! Thanks, Zargon. :)

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Great. Straight from one 5000-frame WU to another 5000-fram WU. Blargh.
    I cannot actually think of anything witty to say here.

Proud owner of a Gorbatar

Important 9-11 information
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Uncle_Doug View Post
    Wizard: "I move the rock with the power of magic!"
    Psionicist: "I move the rock with the power of my mind!"
    Shadowcaster: "I move the rock with the power of Shadow!"
    Truenamer: "Asknsdfksdfhasdjfhsn!" *rolls a 5* "Blast! Not again."

Trophy Case
    Spoiler
    Show