New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 66 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1641565758596061626364656667686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #1951
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

q978 If I have the Maiming strike feat from EoE, allowing me to convert 2d6 SA into 1 point of cha damage, does an attack that would deal double damage (such as spirited charge) multiply the cha damage?
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

2. - Top - End - #1952
    Titan in the Playground

Q 979 What book(s) are Underdark Knight and Mystic Fire Knight located in?
    "I Burn!"

3. - Top - End - #1953
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

A 979

Underdark Knight -> Complete Champion
    Mystic Fire Knight -> Champions of Valor

4. - Top - End - #1954
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 978

All non-dice damage bonuses are multiplied on critical hits, so Maiming Strike damage would always be multiplied on a confirmed critical. Spirited Charge is unclear, though.
    When mounted and using the charge action, you deal double damage with a melee weapon (or triple damage with a lance).
    Sneak attack and Maiming Strike are extra damage beyond what your weapon deals. Spirited Charge is specific to "damage with a melee weapon", so it's up to each individual DM whether that's inclusive or exclusive of extra damage ─ independent of the chosen melee weapon ─ associated with the attack.

5. - Top - End - #1955
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 980

Inquisition Domain text: "Gain a +4 bonus on dispel checks."
    Dispelling Chord text: "...you gain a +2 competence bonus on any dispel checks you make until the end of your turn."

Do these bonuses apply to dispel checks you make when using a Dispelling weapon (are those considered your dispel checks)?
    Last edited by Elric VIII; 2012-09-26 at 07:46 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1956
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanoshei View Post
    RE: Q 974

Sorry, to clarify my question...
    So, given that evidence, can you say you can use Magic Missile per RAW using the spell description, or can you only use it RAI? Because it says Targets in the quick description, does that mean RAW means no and RAI means yes?
    As others have said, you can use magic missile. This is supported by a careful grammatical reading of the passage.

What I mean is as follows. The words "single" and "targeted" are both adjectives. If two adjectives directly precede a noun, as these two do to "spell", they necessarily modify the noun.

Now, this can be changed, but only by punctuation. The sentence that would rain on your parade would have the hyphenated phrase "single-targeted spell" in it--but the phrase is, instead, "single targeted spell". And so, even by a strict grammatical reading, "single" applies to "spell" and not to "targeted".
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #1957
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 980 No.

A dispelling weapon has its own caster level, and the wielder uses the weapon's targeted Dispel Magic effect. This is unaffected by adjustments to the dispel checks of the character wielding the weapon. The weapon's dispel checks remain at 1d20+5 for dispelling, or d20+11 for greater dispelling.

8. - Top - End - #1958
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 980 No.

A dispelling weapon has its own caster level, and the wielder uses the weapon's targeted Dispel Magic effect. This is unaffected by adjustments to the dispel checks of the character wielding the weapon. The weapon's dispel checks remain at 1d20+5 for dispelling, or d20+11 for greater dispelling.
    Q980 additional

Would that change if the creator of the weapon had the Inquisition domain?

9. - Top - End - #1959
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 978 B aka 521

Is the CON damage from a valorous wounding weapon doubled on a charge attack? What about a valorous wounding lance?

Repost:
    Q 522

Is there a cheaper way to get double damage on a charge and CON damage on a weapon than +1 valorous wounding (32k)?

10. - Top - End - #1960
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Endelehia View Post
    A 979

Underdark Knight -> Complete Champion
    Mystic Fire Knight -> Champions of Valor
    Um, is underdark knight something other then a PrC, cause I can't find it in complete champion.

Edit:

And now that I look, I don't see Mystic Fire Knight in Champions of Valor Either, is it also not a PrC?
    Last edited by Metahuman1; 2012-09-26 at 08:23 PM.
    "I Burn!"

11. - Top - End - #1961
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Um, is underdark knight something other then a PrC, cause I can't find it in complete champion.

Edit:

And now that I look, I don't see Mystic Fire Knight in Champions of Valor Either, is it also not a PrC?
    You can find Mystic Fire Knight in CoV p45 (is is a substitution level) and Underdark Knight in CC p49 (ACF).
    Last edited by Elric VIII; 2012-09-26 at 08:52 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1962
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 980 additional No.

The item creation formulas don't change based on the actual characteristics of the creators; items are created at the specified minimum characteristics.
    Magic items produce spells or spell-like effects. For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.
    The CL of 5 specified for a dispelling weapon is the minimum caster level needed to cast Dispel Magic (a 3rd-level spell). Similarly, the CL of 11 specified for a greater dispelling weapon is the minimum caster level needed to cast Greater Dispel Magic (a 6th-level spell).

Better-quality gear requires a PC with the appropriate item creation feat to craft a custom item, with commensurate cost increases.

13. - Top - End - #1963
    Orc in the Playground

Q 981
    What happens if a cleric that somehow lost its domain granted power, via ACF, wants to substitute said domain with the spell substitute domain (CC. 128)?

Q 981b
    What happens if a cleric that can cast spells from a domain spontaneously, (acf phb 2. 37) decides to substitute said domain with the spell substitute domain (CC. 128)? Would he be able to cast its new spells spontaneously?

Q 981c
    Similarly what happens if a cleric uses substitute domain (CC. 128) to substitute away a domain which qualified it for a PrC or which granted power was a feat that qualified him for another feat or a PrC? Does he lose the prestige class / feats?
    Working on: Anointed Heritor PEACHes are welcome.
    Playing with: Firia & Cadaver
    Awesome avatar by Strawberries

14. - Top - End - #1964

Q 982

If a creature has no gained hit dice or extra feats, is it still a forced +2 on character adjustment by RAW? *Stated Example* werecats from monsters of faerun *p.96*

15. - Top - End - #1965
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elric VIII View Post
    You can find Mystic Fire Knight in CoV p45 (is is a substitution level) and Underdark Knight in CC p49 (ACF).
    OH!!! Ok!!! Thanks! XD
    "I Burn!"

16. - Top - End - #1966
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q983 Can you use the tactical maneuver "Momentum Swing" from the feat Combat Brute, and the tactical maneuver "Heedless Charge" in shock trooper on the same attack?

17. - Top - End - #1967
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 981

Substitute Domain only applies to the Cleric's current domains.
    Each domain gives the cleric access to a domain spell at each spell level he can cast, from 1st on up, as well as a granted power.
    A partial domain (missing either its spells or its granted power) does not meet this definition from the Cleric class description (Player's Handbook, page 33). There is no option in the spell description to select a part of a domain for substitution, so the spell will do nothing.

A 981b No.

Spontaneous Domain Casting requires the Cleric to pick a single domain at the time the ACF is chosen (Cleric level 1). This is a one-time choice, and does not change.

A 981c
    A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite.
    For prestige classes, only those in Complete Warrior and Complete Arcane require the character to continuously meet entry requirements; see the (different) rules in those books on pages 16 and 17, respectively. For other classes you only need to satisfy entry requirements each time you add a class level. (See LEVEL ADVANCEMENT sequence in Player's Handbook, pages 58-59. Step 1. Choose Class activates the entry requirements on every class entry, not just at class level 1.) With most classes loss of entry requirements would not affect current capabilities, but only preclude further advancement in the class.

18. - Top - End - #1968
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q984: Are spells that affect multiple targets, such as mass owl's wisdom, or spells shared via the share spells class ability that almost anyone with a familiar/mount/companion gets treated as one spell affecting multiple targets, or multiple copies of one spell? For instance, if someone successfully cast dispel magic on one person being affected by one of those things, would it dispel it for everyone? Would an incantatrix retroactively adding a metamagic feat to such a spell affect everyone with one use of the ability?
    Last edited by Hirax; 2012-09-27 at 03:59 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1969
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Q985: Can a wild shaped changeling use minor change shape to change the look of its new form?

20. - Top - End - #1970
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 984

A single casting produces a single spell (even with multiple affected targets), and a targeted Dispel Magic would be able to end that spell (completely) if in range of and targeted at any part of the spell, as usual (i.e., a targeted dispel does not need to be in range of all parts of the spell targeted to end that spell).

The Incantatrix's Metamagic Effect ability has a requirement:
    To use this ability, the incantatrix must be adjacent to or within the spell effect and make a successful Spellcraft check (DC 18 + [3 × modified spell level]).
    If the Incantatrix is not adjacent to or within the spell effect, Metamagic Effect does nothing; only spell effects within range can be affected. The ability applies to spell effects, not (necessarily) entire spells.

21. - Top - End - #1971
    Dwarf in the Playground

I asked a similar question a few months ago, but got kind of sparse answers, and now the answer I gleaned from the response is being disputed. Just for redundancy's sake, let me run these specific scenarios by you guys.

Q986-1
    Character A is affected by a constant Nondetection spell. Character B happens to be standing right next to character A, 10 feet away or less, but has no active effects that would hinder scrying. Character C casts greater scrying, targeting character B. Character B fails his will save against Greater Scrying, character C fails her caster level check against Nondetection (though it's disputable whether she had to make one in the first place). Can character C see character A? If not, is he simply invisible to the spell, while everything else is not? Does he cast a shadow? Can she hear him talk?

Q986-2
    Similar to the above scenario, character C casts Greater Scrying on character B, but this time character A is not nearby. Character B again fails his will save. Immediately thereafter, while the Greater Scrying spell is still active, characters A and B meet up at the same location. Character C again fails her caster level check against Nondetection, though again I'm not sure whether she actually needs to make the check or not. Can character C see character A with the spell?

Q986-3
    Character A, still affected by Nondetection, breaks through the wall and jumps out of character C's a flying castle, tears a hole the roof of the building he lands on, and then stays in that building for an extended period of time. Character C casts Arcane Eye. She flies the magical sensor out the hole in the side of her castle, looks down, sees the hole in the roof of the other building, and flies the sensor down through it, at which point the sensor is within line of sight of character A. If a caster level check is required at any point during this, she fails it again. Can she see character A?

22. - Top - End - #1972
    Ettin in the Playground

Q987
    Can you prepare spells in an anti-magic field?

23. - Top - End - #1973
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

A 987

Yes, I believe you can prepare spells in an Anti-Magic Field. Of course, you still can't cast any spell prepared inside an Anti-Magic Field until you leave it or the Field is deactivated (either dismissed from the inside or dispelled – more accurately disjoined – from the outside). Until you cast them, prepared spells are only potential magic, not actual magic, so I don't know how an Anti-Magic Field could affect them one way or another.

I also know of no rule that prohibits preparing spells in an Anti-Magic Field. I would be surprised if someone found one that does. (But I have been surprised before – that's why I read this thread!)

24. - Top - End - #1974
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 986-1

If Character A is affected by Nondetection, they cannot be detected by a divination spell like Greater Scrying. The provision in Nondetection which requires a caster level check when "a divination is attempted against the warded creature" does not require the creature to be specifically targeted. Attempting to detect the creature adjacent to another target still requires a caster level check. Failing that caster level check means the spellcaster cannot see the warded creature or their shadow, hear their voice, or directly detect any other indication of their presence. Hearing the other character speak to the warded creature may give an indirect indication that they are nearby, but not necessarily within 10'.

A 986-2

The answer is the same as above. Nondetection functions as stated.

A 986-3 No.

The answer is still the same as above: Nondetection functions as stated.

25. - Top - End - #1975
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Q 988

Is a Duelist's Precise Strike class feature an automatic bonus added to all their attacks with the appropriate weapons, or is it a special single attack that needs to be activated with a Standard Action?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

26. - Top - End - #1976
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

A 988

It's an automatic bonus to damage, it's not mentioned any action to activate it.

27. - Top - End - #1977
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Urrel View Post
    A 987
    Yes, I believe you can prepare spells in an Anti-Magic Field. Of course, you still can't cast any spell prepared inside an Anti-Magic Field until you leave it or the Field is deactivated (either dismissed from the inside or dispelled – more accurately disjoined – from the outside). Until you cast them, prepared spells are only potential magic, not actual magic, so I don't know how an Anti-Magic Field could affect them one way or another.
    This might be permitted by RAW, but I'm pretty sure the fluff on spellcasting has always been that preparing a spell means casting it most of the way, leaving it to "float" until completed. So any DM who is coming from that basis might well veto the idea. I'd say the answer is more "ask your DM" than "yes" or even "probably".

28. - Top - End - #1978
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    This might be permitted by RAW, but I'm pretty sure the fluff on spellcasting has always been that preparing a spell means casting it most of the way, leaving it to "float" until completed. So any DM who is coming from that basis might well veto the idea. I'd say the answer is more "ask your DM" than "yes" or even "probably".
    Fluff is not RAW, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

29. - Top - End - #1979
    Banned

Never said it was, just that it suggested this might not be a simple question.

30. - Top - End - #1980
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Never said it was, just that it suggested this might not be a simple question.
    RAW is pretty clear though. The description of the spell Antimagic sphere tells us what you can't do within the spell's area. Preparing spells is not one of those things.