New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folk Metal

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Folk Metal

So I was watching this video on Youtube where a musican demonstrates various different styles of metal music and 'folk metal' pops up at about 1 minute in: link.

Googling 'folk metal' gives me this page on Last.fm and I've been listening to a few - does anybody have any further suggestions on good 'folk metal' bands?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Folk Metal

I don't know Folk Metal groups that sing in English; but I love Mägo de Oz (a Spaniard band), here is a link to one of my favourite songs from them "La Cruz de Santiago"
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Heidevolk. Now and forever. Some of their best songs are Het Bier Zal Weer Vloeien, Wodan Heerst, Vulgaris Magistralis, Saksenland, and Nehalennia. Saskenland is probably my favorite of those.

I also feel that Lumsk deserves mention since I didn't see it on that list. Their Åsmund Frægdegjevar was a really good listen. I Lytinne Tvĺ being my favorite off that CD. Followed closely by Ormin lange.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-10-14 at 02:45 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

While In Flames might not be playing folk metal, some of their earlier albums do have songs that remind of it. Check out Moonshield, Dialogue with the stars, and for some actual folk Pallar Anders Visa and (with some metal in it) Hårgalåten. Here's how Hårgalåten sounds sung more traditional folk style.
    Dumbledore is dead but had a horcrux so might still be alive to it being fake and him dead but not stopping her from using the having a horcrux on you letting you live from a killing curse.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Epileptic monkeys. Boxing gloves. Typewriters. That is all.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

And while it's not exactly Folk Metal, it is a cover. Van Canto's Bard's Tale is simply awesome.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    I don't know Folk Metal groups that sing in English;
    Lack of English isn't an issue, so feel free to recommend anything you think is good.

Most of the music I have is either instrumental or in a language that I don't speak fluently (or at all).

Thanks for the links people, keep them coming.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Korpikliklanni I don't think I need say much more.
    Necromunda Total War:IC
    Necromunda Total War:OC

Spoiler
    Show
    Brair Freeman of Tariola, 4 levels of Ranger.
    Amiri Pakeha Khan, M.Eng Ship's mechanic.

And I'll dance to Tom Payne's bones,
    Dance to Tom Payne's bones,
    Dance in the oldest boots I own,
    to the rhythm of Tom Payne's bones.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Another one that popped into my head, not sure how much Folk Metal they are but Falconer is pretty epic. Clarion Call and Portals of Light both rater good songs

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Because real men listen to metal with accordions.

11. - Top - End - #11

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    Another one that popped into my head, not sure how much Folk Metal they are but Falconer is pretty epic. Clarion Call and Portals of Light both rater good songs
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    And I can't believe that I forgot about those two. Especially Falconer, which I listened to a lot a couple of years ago. Trollhammaren is a classic
    Dumbledore is dead but had a horcrux so might still be alive to it being fake and him dead but not stopping her from using the having a horcrux on you letting you live from a killing curse.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Epileptic monkeys. Boxing gloves. Typewriters. That is all.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

We actually have a Metal Thread for this, but

Eluveitie
    Ensiferium
    Turisas
    Skyclad
    Orphaned Land
    Black Messiah
    Wolfchant
    Agalloch
    Finntroll
    In Extremo
    Celtic Legacy
    I would also go as far as saying Gallowbraid and Alcest

"Folk Metal" is more a fusion type of genre that you tend to find mixed in with other types of Metal.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-10-14 at 04:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Ivan Tzarevich is a Russian folk metal band. They had a bunch of their stuff free on their site, but their domain registration expired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

The first real folk metal band was Skyclad. Give them a listen; they've got very good lyrical style.

Agalloch aren't folk metal perse, but they're folky. Also worth a listen.

Bathory is another excellent folk metal band, and very well respected.

Note that all of these examples are more on the metal side than the folk side.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm eager to know what you think of all the bands listed here, even though there are quite a number of them, Brother Oni.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

As Nameless said, there is a general Metal thread in which to ask these questions, but while I'm here I'll mention some bands from the Middle Eastern side of Folk Metal.

Orphaned Land - This song is from what is generally regarded as their best album, though I'm personally more fond of the heavier, slightly less folky follow up.

Myrath - very Symphony X-esque Power/Prog on the metal side, with Folk influences from their native Tunisia mixed in.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    As Nameless said, there is a general Metal thread in which to ask these questions, but while I'm here I'll mention some bands from the Middle Eastern side of Folk Metal.

Orphaned Land - This song is from what is generally regarded as their best album, though I'm personally more fond of the heavier, slightly less folky follow up.
    Hey, if you're gonna post anything from Mabool, It should obviously be this.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    All of that, yes.

Here's a few more (and I'm going to throw some Viking metal in, because it seems people can't tell the two apart):

Someone mentioned Bathory - who was actually the progenitor of Viking metal
    Dalriada
    Elvenking
    Einherjer - pure Viking metal
    Equilibrium
    Falkenbach - Bathory-inspired Viking metal
    Finsterforst
    Folkearth - actually not a single band, but a collaboration between various folk metal bands throughout the world. Music quality is a bit hit-and-miss, but the albums feature a variety of styles. Some are pretty good.
    Someone mentioned Lumsk as well
    Moonsorrow
    Svartsot

And then there's like Subway to Sally and Tanzwut and Umbra et Imago (I actually wanted to link a song called "Teutonen lied", but damned if I could find it. I may have hallucinated this) and stuff for "medieval metal", which is kinda-sorta-not really the same as folk metal.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Feytalist beat me to recommending Folkearth, so I'll second it. They're partly folk metal, partly other. I like 'em, but they are hit n' miss. Wolfsong in Moonlight (Fenris Unbound) is absolutely NOT folk at all, but it's right up there as far as my favorites by them. Also, Rhyming with Thunder, but I imagine it's not for everyone.

Nordman is probably very folk metal. Swedish, I believe. I can't understand a single word he's saying, but he seems very passionate about it, whatever "it" is that he's singing about. Still really like it.

I can't provide links, because I can't get to youtube from here; it irritates me no end when someone offers up a link to it, and it could be interesting. I will cease to be irritated by it after November rolls around though.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Ooops, I didn't see the Metal thread. I'll request to get this thread merged.

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    I'm eager to know what you think of all the bands listed here, even though there are quite a number of them, Brother Oni.
    I'm trying to work my way through the list, although if my wife rolls her eyes much more, she's going to end up resembling Cookie Monster in a washing machine.

My children are also complaining that I'm playing it too loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    I may have hallucinated this) and stuff for "medieval metal", which is kinda-sorta-not really the same as folk metal.
    Medieval metal sounds interesting - a quick google search gives me Corvus Corax and I've realised I've watched one of their videos (Dulcemissa?) where they ride onto the stage on a chariot.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    I can't provide links, because I can't get to youtube from here; it irritates me no end when someone offers up a link to it, and it could be interesting. I will cease to be irritated by it after November rolls around though.
    Bandwidth, ISP block or Great Firewall issues?
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-10-15 at 06:29 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Medieval metal sounds interesting - a quick google search gives me Corvus Corax and I've realised I've watched one of their videos (Dulcemissa?) where they ride onto the stage on a chariot.
    Corvus Corax is awesome. I debated mentioning them, because their music isn't really metal, but some of their side projects/related acts include the already mentioned In Extremo and Tanzwut.

But yeah, real medieval instruments, bird costumes, musicians leaping and cavorting on stage - just good old fashioned medieval type music.

Here's Bacchus and Skudrinka from their first - acoustic only - album.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Faun! Pagan Folk Metal.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

The holy Trinity: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Korpiklaani.
    I think they actually know each other quite well.

In Extremo is hugely popular with my friends, but I guess being German plays a significant part in it. Though I like them a lot more than Corvus Corax.
    Last edited by Yora; 2012-10-15 at 03:02 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    We actually have a Metal Thread for this
    This isn't the metal thread?

This isn't the metal thread!
    Ooops, I didn't see the Metal thread. I'll request to get this thread merged.
    Aww...
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I can mention Folkstone a folk metal band from Bergamo (North Italy), they heavily use the baghet, a traditional medieval bagpipe in the area of Brescia/Bergamo (and also a traditional definition of beer belly:D).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Bandwidth, ISP block or Great Firewall issues?
    The last one. Although here the second and the third parties you mentioned are probably in cahoots, as well as the second limiting the first one because they suck like that and hide behind "up to X Mbps throughput", and have said as much that they limit bandwidth to foreign sites when called and asked point blank. At least I'll be back in the States in time for Halloween and not dealing with these issues.

Be pretty happy to get a VPN when I get back, too. I dare not try it here, since the second "they" become aware of one that works, it gets canned, else you have the one and only one that proudly says, "State approved". Yeah, right, that's trustworthy.

But anyway, folk metal yay! I was very happy to discover this was a thing, if mostly outside the States. One of my long long ago classmates said she really like "pirate metal" which is apparently also a thing. Epica, specifically, though whether it's really pirate metal or not is left for more seasons music lovers than myself. I see hear similiarites, though.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    One of my long long ago classmates said she really like "pirate metal" which is apparently also a thing. Epica, specifically, though whether it's really pirate metal or not is left for more seasons music lovers than myself. I see hear similiarites, though.
    It's really not. The type of swinging work shanties that we think of as "pirate" or "nautical" music is present in a couple of folk bands - I'm thinking of Finntroll's more bouncy songs specifically - but there's not really anything like that in Epica's music.

If we're talking pirate metal, here's Alestorm (and I can't believe no-one in this thread, myself included, thought to mention them). There's a few other similar bands, but this here's probably the best.

28. - Top - End - #28

While Arkona is Pagan Metal, they have some serious Folk influence in their music.

Also, this thread doesn't have enough Folk Black Metal. Some Adorned Brood will help fix that.
    Last edited by JabberwockySupafly; 2012-10-16 at 10:14 PM.

All I ever wanted was to pick apart the day, put the pieces back together my way - Aesop Rock "Daylight"

My PAD Herder (it's mostly up-to-date... mostly)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Holy Blood

They can be polarizing for thematic reasons.
    Also known as Jarbis

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JabberwockySupafly View Post
    While Arkona is Pagan Metal, they have some serious Folk influence in their music.
    I actually picked up Slovo the other day. First time I ever heard of them. They're pretty alright.