New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The OotS Soundtrack Project

I compose using Musescore mainly because I don't usually share it. It is slightly better, but it definitely does not sound like an actual viola, but I don't really care since I can here it in my head(this only works because I don't usually share it online)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo

2. - Top - End - #32

Quote Originally Posted by TheMac04 View Post
    So ScubaGoomba and I are interested in starting a full-scale project here, getting a whole bunch of different people involved and pumping out tons of music. You up for it OP?
    I'll join. Like Underlord, I can compose and play music (Cello being my main instrument). Can Noteflight read other forms of files, because I use Musescore, which uses special files, but can be saved as other forms, like PDFs. If you want to see some of my work, I can re-post my divinity wars-inspired cello solo Svoboda, or show a new piece.

If anyone to have me write music for them, just PM me. I prefer string instruments (violin, viola, cello, bass, and any combination of them), but I could always try something new!

Anyway, sorry for the pitch Quarion. Your music is awesome!
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

On the Greysky theme- the divisis in the clarinet are a bit strange. I'd assume, given the minimalist score, that there would be one member of each instrument playing. However, three clarinetists playing to balance one bass would be a bit strange. As is, if I saw the part without any context, I'd guess piano to be the most appropriate instrument. Everything else is good, though. Schazzy bass line.

The Roy v. Thog thing is interesting. It's a strong departure from the tradition of percussion and brass representing battles, which I suppose is alright. You've managed the A, B, AB idea quite well, which is rarely easy. It's a good piece, but two warriors meeting on the field of battle is not the image that it conjures in my mind. The energy is there, it's simply manifested in a scotsman dancing a jig vs. a raging half-orc. Are you familiar with text painting? I'd suggest changing the piece to add in the sounds of a battle. Arhythmic, percussive attacks, drums playing a heartbeat, that sort of thing.

All in all, good writing. Very impressive, considering that you've *only* been playing for half a decade or so.

Also, I can both compose (reasonably) and play (very well, if I do say so myself) piano. I can sort of play violin and horn, too.
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-02-08 at 09:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Can we get together a list of composers/musicians, recruit who we need, and put a team together?
    Ain't no party like a Donner Party, 'cus a Donner Party don't stop 'til we run out of children.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

As far as requests go, I'd like to see a theme for the Sapphire Guard (not the same as the Azure City Blues I see up there), preferably with maybe one or two variations for specific scenes involving them, such as the Ghost-Martyrs.

Bit ambitious, but I've always wanted to hear music for that scene, and I like the idea of it being a variant on an existing Sapphire Guard leitmotif.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jeez man, is all you do make music? Yesterday, Head to Head was only to the very beginning of the Thog rage part. I'm...impressed. Thoroughly.
    You could make a cartoon in crayons about a red square that falls in unrequited love with a blue circle, and there wouldn’t be a dry eye in the house if you know how to tell a story.
    -Don Hertzfeldt

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Okay, so I've got plans for Azure City/Sapphire Guard, Vaarsuvius, and Redcloak. I was planning to make them piano solos to later be expanded, but I might just go with the expanded settings right away. We'll see where Finale and the piano take me over the next few days...

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Hey, I'd love to write some music for this! I generally use Guitar Pro, which can export to MP3, but I could definitely use Noteflight for consistency if that would be better.

I love what you have already, Quarion. I can't wait to hear what you come up with for Redcloak's Theme!

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by TheMac04 View Post
    Can we get together a list of composers/musicians, recruit who we need, and put a team together?
    My current list is:
    ScubaGoomba
    TheMac04
    Quarion Nailo
    The Underlord
    SheepInDisguise
    Lonely Cubone

I am currently working on a Xykon's Theme (if anybody has a better name, PLEASE TELL ME) Cliffport Song (it was way to happy for Xykon) for Piano, Cello, and C Trumpet. Noteflight claims it can import MIDI files, and Musescore can save their files as those, so if someone wanted to upload my songs under their account (with credit given to me), I could do that.
    Last edited by Howler Dagger; 2012-02-09 at 10:10 AM.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

10. - Top - End - #40
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by ZerglingOne View Post
    Jeez man, is all you do make music? Yesterday, Head to Head was only to the very beginning of the Thog rage part. I'm...impressed. Thoroughly.
    I have school from 8 AM-3 PM (PST), but I'm a second semester senior, so I slowly write music on my netbook. School internet's not that great, though, and I don't have a mouse, so it's mostly just brainstorming for tunes.

I get home around 4 PM, and from then to 11 PM I can pretty much just write music nonstop, assuming I have some kind of ditty in my head. I didn't have much inspiration yesterday, so I just spent a couple hours messing around with blues scales.

So to answer your question, all I really do nowadays that's not sleeping or eating is write music.
    Last edited by Quarion Nailo; 2012-02-09 at 11:18 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am quite intrigued by this idea. I've composed before and I have some pretty good piano skills, though it seems like both those areas have already been covered.

This has got me thinking about the first comic, though, and wondering about how it would be scored. Lots of mickey mousing would be the order of the day, certainly, but with an OOTS theme that can be either battle-worthy in the first panel or suitable to underscore comic dialogue... aggh, you guys, I do not need another project.

But it looks like I've got one.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Definitely add me to the list of composers. I'm not sure I'll be much good, but I do have a little experience. Expect a Xykon's Theme shortly.

EDIT: I seem to be done for now, but here's the beginnings of Xykon's Theme.
    Last edited by curtis; 2012-02-09 at 01:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    I wonder if, when the comic eventually ends, people on the boards will continue for several years to say that it's not actually over yet...

13. - Top - End - #43
    Banned

OoTS bandcamp???????

Nine Hells YES!!

14. - Top - End - #44

SwashbucklerGuy

Quarion Nailo, prepare yourself for the highest praise the cosmos knows how to give. Here it comes:

Having just discovered this thread, I played Head to Head. My fifteen month old baby was about ten feet away playing with some blocks. As soon as Roy's theme started he looked over his shoulder at the speakers, totally entranced. When Thog's theme started, he stood up - still totally entranced. When the two parts joined together, he started bouncing up and down a little. The bouncing got more and more energetic and happy so that by the time Thog Rage started he was full on dancing around the floor.

It was awesome.

As is the song.

15. - Top - End - #45

You can add me to the list of composers/musicians willing to help out.

16. - Top - End - #46

ScubaGoomba
    TheMac04
    Quarion Nailo
    The Underlord
    SheepInDisguise
    Lonely Cubone
    Othesmo
    Curtis
    ella ventic (?)

I'm having trouble deciding what part of OOTS my former Xykon's theme is, but right now I'm deciding it is Tarquin's theme.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

17. - Top - End - #47

I'm currently working on a saphire guard for a violin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo

18. - Top - End - #48

I think that I'll be writing something for The Orcale, probably for oboe and piano.

Question- I normally use Sibelius 6 for composition. I can save and upload .wav and .jpg files if necessary. Does anybody know of a better means of sharing it?

EDIT: And looking over what I have so far, I feel like stravinsky. It's a combination of 8/4 and 5/4, and incredibly dissonant/syncopated. Still, Tiamat is LE.
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-02-09 at 06:54 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Can I just say this is spectacular? Because this is spectacular!

Regarding the comments already on the head to head piece, I think it was perfect for the buildup prior to THOG RAGE! At that point they're not dueling that hard and Thog in particular was trying to talk and very relaxed. I think once the rage happens though, that it should take a significant departure from the buildup and be much more powerful and dangerous sounding.

Well done and I hope this thread gets flooded with talent.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

20. - Top - End - #50

I'm a bit confused on Azure City Blues. Normally, it's I (four measures) IV (two measures) I (two measures) V (one measure), IV (one measure), I (two measures). In this piece, it would appear to be the same except that you cut two measures at the beginning to make a ten bar phrase. I assume that this was an error, since blues are more or less defined by a 12 bar chord progression.

21. - Top - End - #51

Azure City would actually do well with the two planned themes. Blues for the trial, the imprisonment, and generally all the negative aspects of AC, and the Sapphire Guard theme for the battle, and for the paladins (Obviously).

22. - Top - End - #52

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    I'm a bit confused on Azure City Blues. Normally, it's I (four measures) IV (two measures) I (two measures) V (one measure), IV (one measure), I (two measures). In this piece, it would appear to be the same except that you cut two measures at the beginning to make a ten bar phrase. I assume that this was an error, since blues are more or less defined by a 12 bar chord progression.
    Yeah, that's right. I knew something sounded off.

I just kinda got in a bluesy mood yesterday, and it just seemed so OBVIOUS that Azure City HAD to be blues (for obvious reasons). I whipped up some basic blues progression and got stuck. Hopefully I can get some ideas after I make some headway on the Legend of Arrrghcloak.

23. - Top - End - #53

RogueGuy

My level of musical competence is such that I'm not quite good enough to really contribute in any major way to the project, but I can fully appreciate the level of talent involved! And appreciate it I do - looking forward to hearing more!

As requests go, I think the Empire of Blood theme could be pretty cool! I kind of imagine it as similar to this in terms of general feel, though obviously there are probably many other ways to do it!
    Last edited by Goosefeather; 2012-02-09 at 08:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

Chimera

So I started working on the Legend (Ballad?) of Arrghcloak (with lyrics!) when suddenly inspiration struck and now I'm going to be working like a madman on Azure City Blues. If it's not done by tonight it should be done by tomorrow, at least judging by how I usually compose when I feel like this.

25. - Top - End - #55

Hm. I'm going to assume that you don't play piano (no offense). In the ballad thing, you've got the pianist playing a 12th (or an octave+a fifth). And this is while he's also playing with his right hand. Unless he's cyrano de bergerac, that's going to be quite physically impossible to play, I'm afraid, unless you've got a virtuoso (and 7'0") pianist. I can barely reach an 11th if I strain, and I play piano as a profession.

Next, you need to remember that having five clarinets playing outside of a full orchestra is a rarity. If you want chords that large in your melody, give them to the piano or guitar (or, pelor forbid, accordion). Meanwhile, just have the clarinet or saxophone or what-have-you play the non-chordal melody alongside the piano's chords (after all, that's why we're there).

26. - Top - End - #56

Chimera

Hm. I'm going to assume that you don't play piano (no offense). In the ballad thing, you've got the pianist playing a 12th (or an octave+a fifth). And this is while he's also playing with his right hand. Unless he's cyrano de bergerac, that's going to be quite physically impossible to play, I'm afraid, unless you've got a virtuoso (and 7'0") pianist. I can barely reach an 11th if I strain, and I play piano as a profession.

Next, you need to remember that having five clarinets playing outside of a full orchestra is a rarity. If you want chords that large in your melody, give them to the piano or guitar (or, pelor forbid, accordion). Meanwhile, just have the clarinet or saxophone or what-have-you play the non-chordal melody alongside the piano's chords (after all, that's why we're there).
    I used to play piano, but I can definitely see what you mean. A lot of the time I get so carried away with making my music sound awesome that I forget that it also has to be playable.

On another note (heh heh), I do think I've dug myself a bit too deep with Azure City Blues; what started out as a simple chord progression is, at this rate, going to become a feature presentation folk song. I have no guarantee on when it will be finished, but feel free to peruse and critique.

27. - Top - End - #57

Hm. Fun. You're much better at lyrics than I am, so I'm not really the person you should talk to about that. My normal comment at this point would be that the parts a bit flat, but this is jazz. Any lead trumpet is gonna have no problem jumping this up an octave and going crazy on it. Same thing with the drums and bass, really. This is more or less a real book score.

Actually, now that I think about it, you could reasonably write this as a single staff score with chords marked in. It'd be incomprehensible to people who don't play jazz, but really, who else is going to play this? But it's good as a composer's score- I look forwards to seeing the finished version.

28. - Top - End - #58

Chimera

I think that I'll be writing something for The Orcale, probably for oboe and piano.

Question- I normally use Sibelius 6 for composition. I can save and upload .wav and .jpg files if necessary. Does anybody know of a better means of sharing it?

EDIT: And looking over what I have so far, I feel like stravinsky. It's a combination of 8/4 and 5/4, and incredibly dissonant/syncopated. Still, Tiamat is LE.
    Like I said earlier, Noteflight has good sharing capabilities but pretty crappy composing ability. However, if you can save your files as MIDI, you should be able to upload them to Noteflight, which would make them a cinch to share.

29. - Top - End - #59

Figuring this out took way too much time. Anyways, here's the link (still very much a WIP).

I should mention, though, that this sounds much better on an actual piano (or on sibelius) than on noteflight.

The Oracle
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-02-10 at 01:11 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Chimera

Figuring this out took way too much time. Anyways, here's the link (still very much a WIP).

I should mention, though, that this sounds much better on an actual piano (or on sibelius than on noteflight).

The Oracle
    You'll want to edit the permissions in the sharing tab at the top of the page so that we can all view it (it's currently marked as private). While you're there, you should also enable commenting.

EDIT: HOLY HELL THAT'S AMAZING!

It's simultaneously entrancing and horrifying -- perfect for the oracle. I can see why you have a career playing music
    Last edited by Quarion Nailo; 2012-02-10 at 12:54 AM.