New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Drop Dead Studios Ask Me Anything #3

Q221: Is there anything preventing an Ordained Hunter Inquisitor from using Echoing Word when using a (word) talent from Empyreal Tongue?

Q222: On a related note, what about use of Mass Enhancement as a Whitesmith Armorist, would you be able to maintain the enhancement without concentration as long as one of the enhanced items is in your possession (as you maintain concentration for the whole set of enhancements in SoP, not on an individual basis)? If not, what if it was the initial target of the enhancement?

Q223: Shouldn't the Life sphere get errata to correct the "Temporary hit points, even from different sources, do not stack; only the highest bonus applies." line in Invigorate? Because as stated by Paizo themselves in the FAQ, temporary hit points from different sources do stack.
    Last edited by AlienFromBeyond; 2018-09-21 at 03:30 AM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q224: is the armigers shift training not intended to apply to talents which require you to specify a weapon like critical genius, only feats?

Q225: I believe this was brought up in the spheres of might playtest but never addressed, but is there intended to be some clause on the unarmored striker striker art that lets it stack with their unarmored bonus or is it just intended to help strikers with lackluster constitution scores?

3. - Top - End - #363
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DireDervin View Post
    Q225: I believe this was brought up in the spheres of might playtest but never addressed, but is there intended to be some clause on the unarmored striker striker art that lets it stack with their unarmored bonus or is it just intended to help strikers with lackluster constitution scores?
    A225

Answered already (Source). TL;DR, yes they stack.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 226:
    In the fairly new Woodfaring Adventures book, there is the Forest Lord prestige class. It requires a CL of 5 with the nature sphere. It also gains the following class feature:
    Magic Talents: A forest lord gains 1 magic talent every time she gains a caster level, according to Table: Forest Lord. This does not stack with caster levels gained from other sources.
    That seems weird considering we're talking about a half BAB High Caster. Unless it's implying that you don't retroactively gain Talents, which thinking about it now seems to be the intention, but is worded kind of weird. Mainly the stack part. What is the intention here?
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Q 226:
    In the fairly new Woodfaring Adventures book, there is the Forest Lord prestige class. It requires a CL of 5 with the nature sphere. It also gains the following class feature:

That seems weird considering we're talking about a half BAB High Caster. Unless it's implying that you don't retroactively gain Talents, which thinking about it now seems to be the intention, but is worded kind of weird. Mainly the stack part. What is the intention here?
    They talked about this earlier, but I don't want to track it down. Whenever a class/archetype/prestige class says "gains 1 magic talent every time she gains a caster level. This does not stack with caster levels gained from other sources.", they mean on levels where a single classed character with this class would gain a caster level (every level on a full caster, 3 every 4 for a mid and 1 every other for a lowcaster), they also get a magic talent. It beats saying "They get a new talent at level 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9 and 10"
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 227:

Can Follow Through (reposition) be used to satisfy the condition for Advancing Carnage?

Such as, I take -2 penalty at the beginning of attack, make an attack action and hit a creature, use Follow-through to bring that creature adjacent to another creature, and cleave to 2nd creature via Advancing Carnage?

Q 228:

Considering Raging Combanant (mytic talent of Mageknight); what happens if the mageknight spends another spell point to use Raging Combanant, before the rage ends; does it replenish without fatigue, replenish but with fatigued condition, or nothing happens?
    Last edited by Hal0Badger; 2018-09-24 at 01:56 AM.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Pixie in the Playground

Q229: Can you explain what the Gust of Wind ability from the new Air package is supposed to do?
    Spoiler: Ability Text
    Show
    Gust of Wind: (instantaneous, requires air) You may create a
    line-shaped gust of wind emanating out from you, affecting
    all creatures within range. The severity level of the wind is 3
    + 1 per 5 caster levels (see the Wind category of the Weather
    sphere for more information).

I get that it sends out a line, keeps going through enemies, and has a wind category.
    A severity 3 wind has the following text
    Spoiler: Wind 3
    Show
    Gusts that automatically extinguish unprotected flames (candles, torches, and the like). Such gusts impose a –2 penalty on ranged attack rolls and on Perception checks.

The table shows this checks tiny creatures, blows away no creatures, and causes a level 2 fly penalty.

I assume that this can put out fire as written, despite the ability saying it effects all creatures in range. I assume that was meant to say "this doesn't stop at the first creature" rather than "This only effects creatures".
    Is this all that was supposed to happen at this level?

Since this is instant, you cannot really target a creature making ranged attacks to lower their to hit, and checking a creature doesn't seem like it would do anything since the wind stops instantly.
    Could we prepare to target a ranged attack with it to give it a -2 to hit, eventually scaling to making the attack an auto miss?

It kinda seems like this wont do anything until CL10 where it can blow away a small creature as written, so a clarification of intent would be appreciated.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 230:
    I suppose this is a bit of composite question, but would the Orc Bloodline Arcana improve the damage of the Weather Sphere? Probably Boiling Lord's damage, I'd guess the lightning damage but only if you have Storm Lord probably, and probably not for the raw damage from heat and cold.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khajios View Post
    Q229: Can you explain what the Gust of Wind ability from the new Air package is supposed to do?
    Spoiler: Ability Text
    Show
    Gust of Wind: (instantaneous, requires air) You may create a
    line-shaped gust of wind emanating out from you, affecting
    all creatures within range. The severity level of the wind is 3
    + 1 per 5 caster levels (see the Wind category of the Weather
    sphere for more information).

I get that it sends out a line, keeps going through enemies, and has a wind category.
    A severity 3 wind has the following text
    Spoiler: Wind 3
    Show
    Gusts that automatically extinguish unprotected flames (candles, torches, and the like). Such gusts impose a –2 penalty on ranged attack rolls and on Perception checks.

The table shows this checks tiny creatures, blows away no creatures, and causes a level 2 fly penalty.

I assume that this can put out fire as written, despite the ability saying it effects all creatures in range. I assume that was meant to say "this doesn't stop at the first creature" rather than "This only effects creatures".
    Is this all that was supposed to happen at this level?

Since this is instant, you cannot really target a creature making ranged attacks to lower their to hit, and checking a creature doesn't seem like it would do anything since the wind stops instantly.
    Could we prepare to target a ranged attack with it to give it a -2 to hit, eventually scaling to making the attack an auto miss?

It kinda seems like this wont do anything until CL10 where it can blow away a small creature as written, so a clarification of intent would be appreciated.
    A229 The intent of the talent is to affect everything in its area of effect (not just creatures) as if subject to the wind severity level. Obviously, the penalty to Perception checks is next to worthless, while the penalty to ranged attacks (or checking a creature) would only work with a readied action, and yes, it is also intended to allow extinguishing of unprotected flames and the like.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 231

The Astrology tradition for the Hedgewitch has one of the secrets "Celestial Revelation: You gain one oracle revelation from the heavens mystery..." It does not have the addendum that allows you to take this secret more than once. Is this intended?

11. - Top - End - #371
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/iron-chef

Q235: When an iron chef adds rice to a dish, does this also affect duration?

Edit: Forgot to number, so numbering with the latest available number.
    Last edited by master4sword; 2018-09-26 at 10:34 PM.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hal0Badger View Post
    Q 227:

Can Follow Through (reposition) be used to satisfy the condition for Advancing Carnage?

Such as, I take -2 penalty at the beginning of attack, make an attack action and hit a creature, use Follow-through to bring that creature adjacent to another creature, and cleave to 2nd creature via Advancing Carnage?
    A 227: Yes, I would allow Follow-Through to work in tandem with Advancing Carnage in the way you've laid out.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Halfling in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q232: Am I right in my reading of prodigy imbued sequence with this assumption. To use a finisher of given magic sphere, you must have that sphere's imbue active at the time. So say you couldn't use conjurations conjure army unless you're already keeping double team active. And if you want to use finisher of different sphere you need to spend your swift first to swap into the imbue ability.

I'm pretty sure that's how it goes, but this is just "to be sure" check.

Q233: Did conjuration companion receive any kind of bonus from the inspired sequence caster level increase. I'm assuming no since thaumaturges bonus doesn't give anything to conjuration, just figuring this out if it gave bonus like a staff would (to attack and damage) or if it just did nothing.

Q234: actually figured one more. Can you use adaptation, most likely once you have improved adaptation at 5th level, to give yourself lingering companion and greater summoning, and have their effects still count once the 1 minute of adaptation ends, assuming you summoned your companion out while you were still in possession of the talents and got the 24 hour duration. Alternatively just giving companion temporary lingering companion, and paying the requisite spellpoints to have it stay around for hours. Does it then stay for hours/day or does the duration of summoning get cut when you lose the talents.
    Last edited by Xararion; 2018-09-26 at 07:02 PM.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zsaber0 View Post
    Q 231

The Astrology tradition for the Hedgewitch has one of the secrets "Celestial Revelation: You gain one oracle revelation from the heavens mystery..." It does not have the addendum that allows you to take this secret more than once. Is this intended?
    A 231

It was intended. I felt fine allowing a Hedgewitch to dip into revelations, but I didn't want them spending all their secrets on them. The focus of Astrology should largely be its auras.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xararion View Post
    Q232: Am I right in my reading of prodigy imbued sequence with this assumption. To use a finisher of given magic sphere, you must have that sphere's imbue active at the time. So say you couldn't use conjurations conjure army unless you're already keeping double team active. And if you want to use finisher of different sphere you need to spend your swift first to swap into the imbue ability.

I'm pretty sure that's how it goes, but this is just "to be sure" check.

Q233: Did conjuration companion receive any kind of bonus from the inspired sequence caster level increase. I'm assuming no since thaumaturges bonus doesn't give anything to conjuration, just figuring this out if it gave bonus like a staff would (to attack and damage) or if it just did nothing.

Q234: actually figured one more. Can you use adaptation, most likely once you have improved adaptation at 5th level, to give yourself lingering companion and greater summoning, and have their effects still count once the 1 minute of adaptation ends, assuming you summoned your companion out while you were still in possession of the talents and got the 24 hour duration. Alternatively just giving companion temporary lingering companion, and paying the requisite spellpoints to have it stay around for hours. Does it then stay for hours/day or does the duration of summoning get cut when you lose the talents.
    A232: You may only use finishers from your active sphere.

A233: No, it is a temporary bonus.

A234: The casting only checks if you have the talent at the time of casting. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but the prodigy is consistent with the hedgewitch spiritualism tradition on this.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Pixie in the Playground

Q:235

This may have already been answered but I couldn't find it, but what constitutes as an unarmed sphere for the purpose of damage progression? Would it just be boxing and open hand, or anything related to a combat maneuver or?

17. - Top - End - #377
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skaia View Post
    Q:235

This may have already been answered but I couldn't find it, but what constitutes as an unarmed sphere for the purpose of damage progression? Would it just be boxing and open hand, or anything related to a combat maneuver or?
    A:235

I think, but I could be wrong, that the unarmed spheres are:

Open Hand, Boxing, Wrestling, Brute

18. - Top - End - #378
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by AlienFromBeyond View Post
    Q223: Shouldn't the Life sphere get errata to correct the "Temporary hit points, even from different sources, do not stack; only the highest bonus applies." line in Invigorate? Because as stated by Paizo themselves in the FAQ, temporary hit points from different sources do stack.
    A223: Yes, and not just Life sphere; any affect in SoP that grants temps should stack with temps with other sources.

Although if that is the base assumption, it may be unnecessary to state it.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.Gibson View Post
    A223: Yes, and not just Life sphere; any affect in SoP that grants temps should stack with temps with other sources.

Although if that is the base assumption, it may be unnecessary to state it.
    Yes, just removing the contradictory line would be ideal I agree.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 236

If I have the flair and dancing talents, could I make attack actions when using a bludgeon from the telekinesis sphere. Apologies if this has been asked before.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q237: Light's Incarnate Glow grants incorporeality. Does this prevent the user to actually manipulate matter? Can you pick up a coin? Or hit someone with a physical attack?
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

22. - Top - End - #382
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q238

Can a Lingchi warrior use the Imbued Arsenal trick?

Enhanced armory says that any arsenal trick that grants additional options to an armorist’s bound or summoned equipment instead adds to the list of options available to the enhanced armory. Does this mean that it counts as a prerequisite for tricks that require the Bound Equipment class ability.

Q238.B

Is the Bound Weapon class feature, which is only mentioned and required for one arsenal trick, supposed to be the Bound Equipment class feature?

23. - Top - End - #383
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Galacktic View Post
    A:235

I think, but I could be wrong, that the unarmed spheres are:

Open Hand, Boxing, Wrestling, Brute
    This is correct.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by master4sword View Post
    http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/iron-chef

Q235: When an iron chef adds rice to a dish, does this also affect duration?

Edit: Forgot to number, so numbering with the latest available number.
    A235: Yes.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Starting a Spheres Game for the first time and need some clarification. From a previous thread:

Q51:When choosing the shape or energy focus drawback for the destruction sphere. Can I still use the untyped blast and the regular touch attack?
    A51:No, if you take the drawback for a shape or type, you no longer possess the base shape or type.

The word untyped is throwing me off, given that there are blasts that deal untyped damage and the base shape is bludgeoning.

Q236: So, by taking the Energy Focus, not only it prevents a character from getting any other blasts - including the ones that share the same element - but also removes the basic Destructive Blast which deals Bludgeoning damage?

26. - Top - End - #386
    Orc in the Playground

Q237: Is the "(except when using them as part of a full attack)" exception in the Unarmed Training combat talent referring to only natural weapons, or all the other regular manufactured weapons that the discipline talent gives proficiency in as well?
    Last edited by AlienFromBeyond; 2018-11-10 at 04:29 PM.

27. - Top - End - #387

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kingdore View Post
    Q236: So, by taking the Energy Focus, not only it prevents a character from getting any other blasts - including the ones that share the same element - but also removes the basic Destructive Blast which deals Bludgeoning damage?
    If you take the energy focus drawback, you can take multiple blast talents as long as they use the energy you can use (electrical blast and shock blast, for instance).

As far as I understand it, you can no longer use the base blast for bludgeoning damage.

28. - Top - End - #388

SamuraiGuy

Q238: As I am the type of person to like Spheres combined with Path of War, what would your opinions on game balance with seize the opportunity be? I can see it going very, very badly, with a build that combines the game breaking tricks of Path of War, Psionics, and Spheres - Nellie + Dual wielding sphere would say hi, but I am just curious how you would have fun in this environment
    Last edited by JMS; 2018-09-29 at 03:43 PM.
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

29. - Top - End - #389
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Q239: Doomblade's core class ability and Spheres of Might abilities - compatible?
    Spoiler
    Show
    5e is the placebo RPG. It doesn't do much, and literally everything it does do is done better by other RPGs. Despite all the evidence though, some people still swear by it.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Q240: Is the Archmage Mythic Path compatible with Spheres of Power? If so, how are the Arcane Surge and Wild Arcana abilities supposed to function?

Arcane Surge (Su)
    Spoiler: Quick Reference
    Show
    As a swift action, you can expend one use of mythic power to cast any one arcane spell without expending a prepared spell or spell slot. If you prepare spells, this spell must be one you prepared today (even if you have already cast it); if you’re a spontaneous caster, this spell must be one of your spells known. If the spell requires a saving throw, any non-mythic creatures affected by the spell roll twice and take the lower result.

If you must attempt a caster level check for the spell to overcome a creature’s spell resistance, you can roll your caster level check twice (adding your tier to each) and take the higher result. You can’t add a metamagic feat to a spell you cast using this ability.

Wild Arcana (Su)
    Spoiler: Quick Reference
    Show
    As a swift action, you can expend one use of mythic power to cast any one arcane spell without expending a prepared spell or spell slot. The spell must be on one of your arcane class spell lists and must be of a level that you can cast with that arcane spellcasting class.

You don’t need to have the spell prepared, nor does it need to be on your list of spells known. When casting a spell in this way, you treat your caster level as 2 levels higher for the purpose of any effect dependent on level. You can apply any metamagic feats you know to this spell, but its total adjusted level can’t be greater than that of the highest-level arcane spell you can cast from that spellcasting class.