That employs the Wizard, whose bird is ignored,
    That has the gender unexplored
    That intrigues the Halfling, usually bored,
    That slew a mountain of the goblin horde,
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,
    That lives in the prison the gods built.

guess what I was gone but now I'm back

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LI: FE

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Wait a... I'm sure I read a couple more chapters of that fic! Where are they?

oh god.

It's spilling out to ponythread! Run for your canons!
    There's a second chapter that I put up to meet the criteria of the challenge, but it was, frankly, not very good and ended with me written into a corner, with the girls given 2 days to create a ninth Element of Harmony and no idea how to do so. I didn't have any idea how to do it either, so I'll be sending them after a different MacGuffin this time. Let's just pretend it's a brilliant form of meta-textual irony.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

3. - Top - End - #363
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Elf Bard View Post
    Nuh-uh. LOONA
    Please. She had three chances. The first time Celestia kicked her ass. The second time Celestia's student kicked her ass. The third time she was repeatedly publicly humiliated by Pinkie Pie.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Princess Celestia is best princess. I can't believe I haven't drawn her before.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oooh, looks like somepony's gonna get up sungoddessed up in the face...!

Either that or she thinks she's having a bad wing day or something. S'alright duck, chill, they look fine to me...

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Please. She had three chances. The first time Celestia kicked her ass. The second time Celestia's student kicked her ass. The third time she was repeatedly publicly humiliated by Pinkie Pie.
    the first time it took the most powerful artifacts known to ponydom. tia literally vanished when NMM showed up and she didnt have them.
    same with attempt number 2.

what you call humiliation i call a legacy of being the most powerful and terrifying being short of discord.

and your tia looks like a giraffe, so take that!
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-08-14 at 10:09 AM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    There the public face of the royal guard. They go around, in there nice robes and shiny armor, and put on shows of magical display. Grand explosions, false monsters, and real magical skill all on display, with the merch pulling in a nice amount of dough. As for tactic's, Twilight is the only pony we have seen that teliports like it's going out of style. No, much like the Wonderbolts, there flashy, but instead of cute contrails they fling out genuine grade-a magic missiles and such.
    So, essentially, it’s a militarized squad of Great and Powerful Trixies?
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post

Take LotR, I'd say there's a lot of powerful friendship there. Frodo would never have made it without Sam by his side, and their friendship is undeniably much more deep and powerful at the end than when they set out. Same with the rest of the Fellowship. The conflict and struggle brought them closer together and gave them the power to overcome impossible odds. Don't tell me that doesn't work in the MLP universe
    LotR is absolutely doable in the pony universe. It has a strong theme of working together through harsh challenges, plus they already have Minias Tirith=Canterlot.

However, looking at LotR, how would you do the death of Boromir in a pony context? Would it be a pony that rejected the rest of the group? Boromir died in the originals because he saw the error of his ways and tried to defend Merry and Pippin, but a pony seeing the error of his ways would presumably have various protections, not to mention friends that could teleport or levitate to stop arrows. Healing magic isn't really called out in the show, but Twilight was able to restore her discorded friends, so that might exist too.

Again, not saying it couldn't be done, simply that "bad things happen" is harder to do in the pony setting than first meets the eye and I think a lot of the so-called "grimdark" authors forget about that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nuh-uh. LOONA
    Geez a best pony princess argument? First, the answer is Rose/Kalina.

Second, getting owned by Pinkie Pie pretty much doesn't count since it's dictated entirely by personality, not power. Plus, Luna got her butt kicked by the elements of harmony both times, and it's hard to even say that was her rather than her crazy evil possessed self getting smacked with a macguffin that it was particularly weak against.

As I've said before, I actually like to think that Luna has just a tiny bit more magical power than Celestia if you just took both of them on a random day with no other interference. However, I think that Celestia is more willing to take on responsibility and act directly, so she might often be more capable than Luna of getting things done.

Personality-wise, I think both of them can come across as pretty scary (e.g. Luna canceling Nightmare Night and Celestia shouting out "Twlight Sparkle, Meet me in the library. Now"). I would say that Celestia seems the more stable of the two, which makes sense given her 1,000 years of ruling Equestria with peace and prosperity compared to Luna's 1,000 year banishment. On the other hand, Luna seems like the most flexible of the two. Celestia comes across as frustrated with her responsibilities from time to time, and that makes me see her as not very inventive for some reason.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

8. - Top - End - #368
    Colossus in the Playground

*Crawls out of bed* forgot the goddamn horn, there's always something, always a missing leg or horn or cutie mark or ear, always something missing....

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Oooh, looks like somepony's gonna get up sungoddessed up in the face...!

Either that or she thinks she's having a bad wing day or something. S'alright duck, chill, they look fine to me...
    Her wings NEED to be the prettiest. It's her catchphrase.

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    the first time it took the most powerful artifacts known to ponydom. tia literally vanished when NMM showed up and she didnt have them.
    same with attempt number 2.

what you call humiliation i call a legacy of being the most powerful and terrifying being short of discord.

and your tia looks like a giraffe, so take that!
    In a world where Friendship Is Magic, being the kid without the friendship artifacts makes you the weakling. I mean, Luna knew how to use them and if she wasn't terrible at being a pretty pony princess she would have used them.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Geez a best pony princess argument? First, the answer is Rose/Kalina.
    She does win the wings-are-so-pretty argument by virtue of having four, yes.

Second, getting owned by Pinkie Pie pretty much doesn't count since it's dictated entirely by personality, not power. Plus, Luna got her butt kicked by the elements of harmony both times, and it's hard to even say that was her rather than her crazy evil possessed self getting smacked with a macguffin that it was particularly weak against.
    Again, in a world where Friendship=Magic being the one who's too slow to recognise the value of the elements of harmony makes you the worse princess.

As I've said before, I actually like to think that Luna has just a tiny bit more magical power than Celestia if you just took both of them on a random day with no other interference. However, I think that Celestia is more willing to take on responsibility and act directly, so she might often be more capable than Luna of getting things done.
    Excuses and speculation!

Personality-wise, I think both of them can come across as pretty scary (e.g. Luna canceling Nightmare Night and Celestia shouting out "Twlight Sparkle, Meet me in the library. Now"). I would say that Celestia seems the more stable of the two, which makes sense given her 1,000 years of ruling Equestria with peace and prosperity compared to Luna's 1,000 year banishment. On the other hand, Luna seems like the most flexible of the two. Celestia comes across as frustrated with her responsibilities from time to time, and that makes me see her as not very inventive for some reason.
    Frustration with responsibilities means you're not inventive.

Uh.

I'll go for the pretty pony princess with the 1,000 years of peace and prosperity on her resume.

9. - Top - End - #369

When was the third one?
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the thief who likes to hoard,
    That loves the bard with the puppet Lord
    That admires the fighter with the green-hilted sword,
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

When was the third one?
    Luna Eclipsed.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

"Your chains chafe, my face is cold, and this is the worst kidnapping ever.
    What!? Dragged through a mirror by shadowy vampire ponies to an ancient space-fortress in golden chains and you call this...
    buh....whu...

What are you, some kind of Kidnapping connoisseur now?
    Why you infuriating little... I could just... I'll have you...
    Uh.

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, okay, I guess I didn't think this through at all, did I?

[edit] A bonus mask-in-chains, below.
    Spoiler
    Show

Apparently, it turns out I really like her mane.
    It's surprisingly fun to paint.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-08-14 at 11:07 AM.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Are you deliberately trying to annoy me, Thanqol?

All I'll say is that NMM (as opposed to Luna) apparently had no clue how the Elements worked. Why this is so is a good question which suggests that the two are not entirely the same mind, and it does make it impossible to say how Luna (as opposed to NMM) would have acted. We can speculate, but that's all it'll be.

LotR is absolutely doable in the pony universe. It has a strong theme of working together through harsh challenges, plus they already have Minias Tirith=Canterlot.

However, looking at LotR, how would you do the death of Boromir in a pony context? Would it be a pony that rejected the rest of the group? Boromir died in the originals because he saw the error of his ways and tried to defend Merry and Pippin, but a pony seeing the error of his ways would presumably have various protections, not to mention friends that could teleport or levitate to stop arrows. Healing magic isn't really called out in the show, but Twilight was able to restore her discorded friends, so that might exist too.

Again, not saying it couldn't be done, simply that "bad things happen" is harder to do in the pony setting than first meets the eye and I think a lot of the so-called "grimdark" authors forget about that.
    I suspect Boromir would not be a unicorn, nor would Merry and Pippin, thus no magic. Also whatever they would face instead of orcs might have had wings and/or magic too. If the ponies have access to these things then you can use the same argument for their enemies.

Also, it's possible (even in LotR) that the wounds could have been cured and Boromir saved, but it would require the right person with the right skills and right tools/herbs/magic available at the spot because you won't have much time to get him elsewhere or find the right person and bring them there.

All in all, yes, magic can make things more complicated, but it doesn't make every problem just disappear, and can also be used to make the problem even worse.

13. - Top - End - #373

Based on what we've seen on the show I would rank the Princesses and other superbeings thusly:

Celestia+Luna+Elements > Discord > Celestia+Elements > Cadence +Shining Armor > Chrysalis > Luna > Celestia

So without the Elements, the most powerful Princess is obviously Cadence *flees*
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Based on what we've seen on the show I would rank the Princesses and other superbeings thusly:

Celestia+Luna+Elements > Discord > Celestia+Elements > Cadence +Shining Armor > Chrysalis > Luna > Celestia

So without the Elements, the most powerful Princess is obviously Cadence *flees*
    and you're ignoring the +shiny because...?
    if you're going to use nonsensical pseudo-logic at least do it right.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

OTOH, if she really can make people fall in love she can reproduce that magic whenever she wants. "Your* in love with me! Laser time!"

*you're
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2012-08-14 at 11:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

16. - Top - End - #376

Because it supports the troll-tastic conclusion I had already decided I wanted to reach.

Really just stick "Elements" at the top of the heap, they're an "I WIN" button for whoever can activate them

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    OTOH, if she really can make people fall in love she can reproduce that magic whenever she wants. "Your* in love with me! Laser time!"

*you're
    Or even scarier: "You're in love with me, now stop attacking and help me murder your friends"
    Last edited by Eakin; 2012-08-14 at 11:32 AM.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

*you're
    except im pretty sure it was her love that was the power. or it was a combination or the bond of the relationship etc. point is, she'd have to, at minimum, cast it on herself too, which would probably stop her from doing it to just anyone.
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-08-14 at 11:32 AM.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    You know, I never did get to play exalted. And now my game roster is at capacity! Heck, I even accidentally put Ophiokasha on hiatus. I'll have to fix that one way or another. Sorry, Diego/Pokonic/Grif/Draconi.
    I'd try to pull you into my game, but it's a terrible game to introduce someone. xD

The story that started life as a dare from Lixie to turn one of my own wise-ass comments about retcons into an actual story is now up on Fimfiction. Still have no idea where I'm going with it, but I'm challenging myself to push ahead with it anyway.
    I am so proud of what I have caused to be created. So proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    [edit] A bonus mask-in-chains, below.
    Spoiler
    Show

Apparently, it turns out I really like her mane.
    It's surprisingly fun to paint.
    I approve of this picture and would like to subscribe to your ne-
    (BANG) MASK WILL BE MINE.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

19. - Top - End - #379

Which is cuter?

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ettin in the Playground

Which is cuter?

Spoiler
    Show

Seeing as how one of the images isn't displaying, I would say I have to go with the bottom one.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    Seeing as how one of the images isn't displaying, I would say I have to go with the bottom one.
    the busted one isnt nearly as cute anyway.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Really just stick "Elements" at the top of the heap, they're an "I WIN" button for whoever can activate them
    It really is self-evident that the Elements of Harmony combine are not so much a power in and of themselves but rather a way to channel the fundamental conceptual and infinite levels of power that underlie the reality of Equestria.

Thus ranking them is rather an unstoppable force meets immovable object question....

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

*you're
    My headcanon is that Cadance's love magic doesn't create love out of nowhere, it just strengthens love that's already there and/or brings love to the forefront of a pony's mind.

Of course, we have exactly two data points concerning Cadance's magic, and one of those was a flashback to a childhood memory. So I could be totally wrong.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

24. - Top - End - #384

New Wallpaper!

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,

25. - Top - End - #385
    Barbarian in the Playground

New Wallpaper!

Spoiler
    Show
    Why the season 1 one? And not the Season 2 one?

Spoiler
    Show

Or maybe the Wedding one?
    Spoiler
    Show

Villians?
    Spoiler
    Show

Click through for the high res downloads.
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Thread, The Game, The Tumblr.
    Human Crossings Avatar made by Thanqol

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    I can respect that you prefer the sweet and innocent stories, but I must admit I don't understand or agree that it's OOC.

Serious, adult ponies who act and think and feel in complex, mature and realistic ways do make sense and aren't, in my opinion, out of character at all. Nor are dark, gritty situations somehow incompatible with the setting.

There are big, scary monsters everywhere. There are evil ponies and evil monsters and evil deeds. There's love and conflict and war and complex emotions. All of this is canon, it's part of the setting and part of the ponies and their lives, it's just that the show has to step carefully around certain details, but that doesn't mean your story has to do the same. Like, they can't actually show a pony getting seriously hurt, or go into detail about Pinkie's mental problems, but it is clear that it's there, it's real, it happens, and your story can deal with it if it is meant for adult readers. It is not in conflict with the setting, it is not "out of character" for the world or for the ponies.

It's just looking at the same world and same characters through different glasses. If you prefer to keep the rosy glasses on, that's fine and good and there are many stories where that works great, but there's nothing wrong or OOC about viewing the same world through different shades and for some stories anything else would be OOC and odd and unbelievable.
    I'll try to explain the OOC comment.

All settings have a certain flavour. This flavour is not determined by the story being told at any given time, but by the common narrative elements and conceits that underpin the stories told. A setting is like a character, in that it's locales, players and events are it's appearance, the flavour is the setting's personality. A story that doesn't have the setting's flavour is thus "acting" out of character. Equestria without the rosy tint is like a Philip Marlowe story without the noir, Eberron without the pulpy dungeonpunk or the Cthulhu Mythos without the loss of sanity. It looks like the metaphorical duck, but it doesn't walk and quack like it.

Other than that, I agree, the ponies clearly understand conflict and have a military history that imply that all sorts of mature things went on in the canon.
    That's the rub. We've seen conflict. Racial tensions exploding into violent conflict in Over a Barrel, slavery in A Dog and Pony Show, assault on a civilian population in A Canterlot Wedding. And it's never dark or mature (in the sense being used here). I don't think this is because the show presents a biased sample (so to speak) of Equestria, but rather because that's the way Equestria actually is. Harmony and Friendship are all but physical laws, like much like how Discworld runs on Narrative Causality or Gurren Lagann runs on Rule of Cool, Rule of Funny and Spiral Power.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2012-08-14 at 01:14 PM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    I'll try to explain the OOC comment.

All settings have a certain flavour. This flavour is not determined by the story being told at any given time, but by the common narrative elements and conceits that underpin the stories told. A setting is like a character, in that it's locales, players and events are it's appearance, the flavour is the setting's personality. A story that doesn't have the setting's flavour is thus "acting" out of character. Equestria without the rosy tint is like a Philip Marlowe story without the noir, Eberron without the pulpy dungeonpunk or the Cthulhu Mythos without the loss of sanity. It looks like the metaphorical duck, but it doesn't walk and quack like it.
    Here's the problem I have with your analysis: going by the standards FimFiction puts forth for the Dark tag, at minimum the S2 opener and S2 finale would have been considered "Dark", along with several other episodes such as Party of One. I can't imagine that you would consider these episodes to be lacking in the setting's flavor.
    The problem I have is that, as it stands, the "Dark" tag encompasses too wide a spectrum of story elements for anypony to make broad statements about it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Show

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

there is an army equipped and ready to use lethal force. the wonderbolts attempted to kill a rampaging spike.
    tartarus is a place in equestria.
    clearly we're not seeing very bad things that are there.

the obvious solution to the label problem is to add a "grimdark" tag
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-08-14 at 01:25 PM.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't there already a grimdark tag? Or is that just on Equestria Daily or something?

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Isn't there already a grimdark tag? Or is that just on Equestria Daily or something?
    I believe the "Grimdark" tag is unique to Equestria Daily. I've only submitted to FimFiction, and they only have a "Dark" tag, which is supposed to encompass everything from "Batman" levels of dark to "Cupcakes" levels.

My Homebrew

Show