New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Gates of Heaven: Giving Celestia the Dicefreaks Treatment

You should probably start your own thread for classes like I did. Feel free to copy my OP if you do so.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iamyourking View Post
    You should probably start your own thread for classes like I did. Feel free to copy my OP if you do so.
    I was actually asking if you think it is ready for posting.

Countdown to the zombie Apocalypse: braaaaaaains.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

If it's complete other than those, I would say post it. Getting it out amongst the general populace can't hurt.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    I'd be willing to step forward on the spearhead. I'm not much with crunch material, and there's only so much I can do with fluff that others aren't already covering. It's the least I could do. Any objections?
    Please do. I'm going to be extremely busy with college and other RL stuff through Thanksgiving at least, and I'm already dealing with running a half-dozen D&D games, so I wouldn't be able to give this the attention it deserves.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

I'm sort of lurking. I don't really have much to comment on.

I'm highly anticipating the Celestial Warlock though >>

6. - Top - End - #216

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

What is needed for Hebdomad fluff (and stats)? I'd be willing to help out on this front, perhaps with other stuff as well.

If you need examples of my fluff work, see the angelic paragon classes in my sig.

Thank you for considering me for help if you do!
    Last edited by Sir_Chivalry; 2010-11-01 at 11:26 PM.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

We are still trying to hammer out the fluff, so I would suggest you make a proposal of concept and we can go from there. As for stats, we are aiming for a range of mid-50s for Barachiel to late 70s for Zapkhiel; you can use both my High Caste Archons and the work of Dicefreaks for the Lords of the Nine to get an idea of our intent. Your prestige classes will likely be subject to a review at some later date to see what we can do with them.
    Last edited by Iamyourking; 2010-11-02 at 12:33 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Chivalry View Post
    What is needed for Hebdomad fluff (and stats)? I'd be willing to help out on this front, perhaps with other stuff as well.

If you need examples of my fluff work, see the angelic paragon classes in my sig.

Thank you for considering me for help if you do!
    Well, I have a "new thread" window open full of a few hundred disjointed words and ideas on Lunia. If you can cook up anything good on Barachiel and the Citadel of Stars, that would be great. I can only write so many fortresses, and this plane is full of them. I mean, I havethe Citadel of Stars, Heart's Faith, the Tower of Flames and the Fortress Eternal and Everlasting from the canon books alone. Then my own inventions: the Amber Gates, the trade outpost I haven't named yet, the unnamed Zoveri capital...
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

We are still trying to hammer out the fluff, so I would suggest you make a proposal of concept and we can go from there. As for stats, we are aiming for a range of mid-50s for Barachiel to late 70s for Zapkhiel; you can use both my High Caste Archons and the work of Dicefreaks for the Lords of the Nine to get an idea of our intent. Your prestige classes will likely be subject to a review at some later date to see what we can do with them.
    I'll get on these things.

On the subject of my PrCs, what do you mean "what we can do with them"? I thought this project was about Celestia and the archons?
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

11. - Top - End - #221

Yes, it is. Your classes, however, from what I've seen of them, are for homebrew Celestials, not the official Archons. So they would probably need at least some fluff changing.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Yes, it is. Your classes, however, from what I've seen of them, are for homebrew Celestials, not the official Archons. So they would probably need at least some fluff changing.
    That's what I mean, they aren't about the archons. They are about paragons of the angels. I can add things in you'd see the angelic paragons being allied with the hebdomad, but really if we're going to start getting into other planes, then we might as well start modifying the Five Companions and the Court of Stars.

I just suggested looking at the fluff for the angelic paragons as an example of my fluffing style, a portfolio sample if you will. Don't get me wrong, I greatly welcome PEACHing on them, I just wanted to make clear that this was not my intent.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

13. - Top - End - #223

Ah, right. I admit, I've only just looked at them, I thought, since you mentioned them, they were for homebrew archons.

And the hebdomad have their own PrCs anyway in the BoED. Not saying that there couldn't be more, of course.

Edit: is your username a reference to Robin Hobb's books, or did you choose that name for some other reason?
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-11-02 at 10:20 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, right. I admit, I've only just looked at them, I thought, since you mentioned them, they were for homebrew archons.

And the hebdomad have their own PrCs anyway in the BoED. Not saying that there couldn't be more, of course.
    An easy mistake to make, and one of the reasons I thought I'd get involved here. I enjoyed making the fluff for the angelic paragons, and worst case scenario you guys don't like what I do, but contributing to this would be really nice.

So, Barachiel first?

edit: Completely different actually. In RL I actually try to model my conduct on a sort of pseudo-chivalrous code. The name is just the same name I use everywhere.
    Last edited by Sir_Chivalry; 2010-11-02 at 10:24 AM.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

15. - Top - End - #225

I'd appreciate if you did Barachiel, as I'm writing up Lunia, and the two are, after all, very connected.

I'll also go with the pyramid structure of archons for now, so Lunia will have mostly lanterns and hounds, with the hounds guarding the gates and paths to the second layer.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd appreciate if you did Barachiel, as I'm writing up Lunia, and the two are, after all, very connected.

I'll also go with the pyramid structure of archons for now, so Lunia will have mostly lanterns and hounds, with the hounds guarding the gates and paths to the second layer.
    And just so I'm clear, as eight or so pages of posts were read last night, you want to improve the Hebdomad in what way? Make them more interesting, more involved with the Prime, more involved with the fight against fiends?

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

I would suggest starting with Barachiel, although you can do it in any order. In regards to them, thoughts on giving the Hebdomad class levels like the GOH Dukes, Arch-Devils, and Lords of the Nine? Barachiel having levels in Bard, Raziel in Paladin, Fighter, or Crusader, etc.

Finally, I'd like to propose that Hound Archons get reworked to use spears and shields or polearms; as greatswords just seem a bit individualistic for relatively weak but Lawful entities like Hounds. I wanted to do something like that for Authorities (Of which I'm still taking suggestions for better names since I had to drop Powers) but just couldn't resist giving them oversized Jovars.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

And just so I'm clear, as eight or so pages of posts were read last night, you want to improve the Hebdomad in what way? Make them more interesting, more involved with the Prime, more involved with the fight against fiends?
    If nothing else, simply make them more. There's tons of detail on the fiends and their rulers in both 2e and 3e (with the demons and devils each getting a book to themselves in 3e), whereas the only info on the Hebdomad is a chapter or so in BoED and some vague outlines in the 2e material. Giving them motivations, relationships, associations with different archons, rivalries with particular fiends, etc. is all good.

Show

I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?

19. - Top - End - #229

Any time we talk about Asamodious there is so much competing fluff the thread could get derailed. (Some people like dicefreaks some like the codex). Celestia and the upper planes in general are not nearly as fleshed out as those in the ventral position. So we are trying to fix that
    Edit 1/2 ninja'd
    Last edited by blackjack217; 2010-11-02 at 10:41 AM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd also suggest that Chivalry and Eldan collaberate on their projects as they are so closely linked; even moreso than the Lords of the Nine are with their layers.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #231

I would suggest starting with Barachiel, although you can do it in any order. In regards to them, thoughts on giving the Hebdomad class levels like the GOH Dukes, Arch-Devils, and Lords of the Nine? Barachiel having levels in Bard, Raziel in Paladin, Fighter, or Crusader, etc.
    Actually, IIRC, it was agreed that we would to different varieties for every Archon. Somehow, though, I just can't see Hounds as really being Rank&File fighters. Hunters, stalkers, even guard dogs, yes, but not really standing there in rows with spear and shield. I'd actually give them ranged weapons to emphasize their hunter rule. Just spears coudl work, they are traditional hunter weapons as well.

For Archons standing in units (which make a good image for Celestia in any case), I'd rather look to Sword and warden archons, who seem to be the dedicated fighters.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally, I'd like to propose that Hound Archons get reworked to use spears and shields or polearms; as greatswords just seem a bit individualistic for relatively weak but Lawful entities like Hounds. I wanted to do something like that for Authorities (Of which I'm still taking suggestions for better names since I had to drop Powers) but just couldn't resist giving them oversized Jovars.
    Well levels in a base class wouldn't go wrong, though perhaps merely giving them abilities from said classes would be better, as then they don't have to wallow in the lower levels and we can just give them the powers we want to build them correctly. Just as a thought:

Barachiel- Bard
    Domiel- Rogue
    Erathaol- Wizard
    Pistis Sophia- Monk
    Raziel- Paladin
    Sealtiel- Knight
    Zaphkiel- Hanged if I know!

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    If nothing else, simply make them more. There's tons of detail on the fiends and their rulers in both 2e and 3e (with the demons and devils each getting a book to themselves in 3e), whereas the only info on the Hebdomad is a chapter or so in BoED and some vague outlines in the 2e material. Giving them motivations, relationships, associations with different archons, rivalries with particular fiends, etc. is all good.
    Do I have a little permission to link them to other goodly powers? Such as the goodly gods or the paragons of other good outsiders? (maybe also the angelic paragons?)
    Last edited by Sir_Chivalry; 2010-11-02 at 11:01 AM.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, IIRC, it was agreed that we would to different varieties for every Archon. Somehow, though, I just can't see Hounds as really being Rank&File fighters. Hunters, stalkers, even guard dogs, yes, but not really standing there in rows with spear and shield. I'd actually give them ranged weapons to emphasize their hunter rule. Just spears coudl work, they are traditional hunter weapons as well.

For Archons standing in units (which make a good image for Celestia in any case), I'd rather look to Sword and warden archons, who seem to be the dedicated fighters.
    I was considering that, but the problems are that: 1. They are too strong at CR 9 and 11 to really be suited for massed rank fighting and 2. Neither of them actually have hands.
    Last edited by Iamyourking; 2010-11-02 at 10:50 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

I was considering that, but the problems are that: 1. They are too strong at CR 9 and 11 to really be suited for maassed rank fighting and 2. Neither of them actually have hands.
    Actually they both do, the sword archons can change between hands and swords, and warden archons are the big polar bears, and it is sort of assumed (guardinal principle) that anthropomorphic animals can hold things in their hands well enough to wield weapons.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Good point, we can leave it up to whoever opts to redo the lesser archons.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236

And again, if we are redoing them anyway, there's no problem with variants having hands and variants lacking them.

CR 9 might be a little too strong for Rank & File troops, true. In the Blood War, that would put them on the level of things like Barbed Devils or Vrocks, Elite Troops in other words.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Do I have a little permission to link them to other goodly powers? Such as the goodly gods or the paragons of other good outsiders? (maybe also the angelic paragons?)
    You don't need permission, just do what you feel is best. The more connections, the better.

I'll keep that in mind.

Show

<Snip>

28. - Top - End - #238

There's a wealth of good gods and their realms already semi-detailed, I guess fleshing a few of them out a little more can't hurt.

Someone over on Planewalker suggested doing more with Moradin's realm. That should be a good idea.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd suggest some sort of soldier archon, perhaps similar to the steel devil in role.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

30. - Top - End - #240

I suggest that we start by compiling a list of Archons from all books. Gives us some idea of what is available and what should be added.