New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Social Drinking

1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Social Drinking

Seconding pendell's opinion, my girlfriend's mother thought she hated beer for most of her life. Had a Guiness a few years back. Now loves beer and she and I always get micros together.

Guiness is an excellent "starter beer". It's flavorful and rich, but pretty thin bodied. It can be consumed fast if that's what you want (see: Car Bombs), but is pretty nice to enjoy slow. And if you're drinking slow, your beer WILL warm up, might as well have something that tastes good warm too. (note to UK drinkers, yes, yes, I know!) It's easy to find, and it's nowhere near as expensive as most good beers (though still might be hard to find at a party with Coors). And it's a good fall back at restaurants and bars...even if they have nothing else drinkable, they'll have Guiness.

...I will not get coaxed into a Wurzels sing along...I will not get coaxed into a Wurzels sing along...I will not get coaxed into a Wurzels sing along...

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    Guiness is an excellent "starter beer". It's flavorful and rich, but pretty thin bodied.
    Guinness is thin bodied? Just to make sure we're talking about the same drink, you mean this stuff?

If it is, I have no idea what they're serving you over there as the stuff you get in the UK has a very thick treacly texture, which in turn is regarded as absolute dog [redacted] by the Irish who get the proper stuff.

...I will not get coaxed into a Wurzels sing along...I will not get coaxed into a Wurzels sing along...I will not get coaxed into a Wurzels sing along...
    Sounds like to me, you need another drink (or three) then.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    If it is, I have no idea what they're serving you over there as the stuff you get in the UK has a very thick treacly texture, which in turn is regarded as absolute dog [redacted] by the Irish who get the proper stuff.
    Although this might once have been true, it's not any longer. I think it's just something the Irish like to tell us to make us feel inferior... When I set out in Dublin a couple of years ago to try proper Guinness, I was slightly disappointed to find that it was indeed exactly the same as the stuff we get here.

Edit: Anybody heard this version? I'm unsure what to make of it: on one hand, I'm disappointed that someone felt the need to improve upon perfection; the other hand is helping to pick myself off the floor from laughing too hard.
    That did make me laugh. Although, considering, I thought they could have done a bit more with it.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Now something's telling me that you'm avoiding me
    Oo arr oo arr
    Come on now darlin' you got somethin' I need

(all together now)
    *Stands up to sing the Westcountry anthem*

'Cos oi've got a brand new combine 'arvester and oi'll give you the key,
    Come on now let's get together in perfect 'armony,
    Oh I's got 20 acres and you got 43,
    Now oi've got a brand new combine 'arvester and oi'll give you the key!
    *wipes a tear from her eyes*
    It's so beautiful that in this day, in the age of the internet a parody song from 1976 is still so well known.

Edit: Anybody heard this version? I'm unsure what to make of it: on one hand, I'm disappointed that someone felt the need to improve upon perfection; the other hand is helping to pick myself off the floor from laughing too hard.
    It's oddly fascinating. Especially when that random guy starts shouting . . . something - jump? - towards the end.

Oh really?
    You sure about that?
    Really sure?

Guinness is thin bodied? Just to make sure we're talking about the same drink, you mean this stuff?

That what I thought. It's generally perceived as one of the higher quality, full-bodied beers.
    God, I need more of a drinker's vocabulary for this thread now.
    It's all Wurzels, cider and beer.
    What have we done to this innocent pub etiquette thread?

Sounds like to me, you need another drink (or three) then.
    Quick! Nip 'round your local pub/farm and bring samples of all the cider they make/sell! The more scumb - scrumpy the more susceptible he'll be to the Wurzels.

That did make me laugh. Although, considering, I thought they could have done a bit more with it.
    Imagine a Wurzels mashup!
    I Am A Cider Drinker/Combine Harvester!

'Ow's yer farther, all right?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Imagine a Wurzels mashup!
    I Am A Cider Drinker/Combine Harvester!
    A friend of mine once concocted a mashup of Combine Harvester and Zadok the Priest. He claimed it was "perfect".

I've asked him for a copy, if he still has one, so you can see if you share his opinion.
    Steady on, me lover, we barely know each other.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I've heard that Guinness deteriorates crossing the ocean so it tastes different in the U.S. than Ireland (unlike Harp, they don't brew Guinness in North America). I find this explanation dubious, and I think the beer tastes the same on both sides of the pond.

Also, I'm a little tired of the criticism of North American beers. Budweiser, Miller, Molson, and Labatt's are brewed a certain way for a reason. They aren't supposed to be hoppy and complex. Not all beer should be brewed like a microbrew. Not all beer must be dark. The beer snobs think everyone should share their tastes; their views become tiresome.

I don't mind people liking microbrews; I like microbrews. I mind people sneering at others for liking light bodied pilsners and lagers. Beer is to be enjoyed; if I enjoy drinking a pitcher of Blue Light with my friends while watching a hockey game, then what is it to you?

It is ok to like many different kinds of beer; it is not ok to be a beer snob.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    Also, I'm a little tired of the criticism of North American beers. Budweiser, Miller, Molson, and Labatt's are brewed a certain way for a reason. They aren't supposed to be hoppy and complex. Not all beer should be brewed like a microbrew. Not all beer must be dark. The beer snobs think everyone should share their tastes; their views become tiresome.

I don't mind people liking microbrews; I like microbrews. I mind people sneering at others for liking light bodied pilsners and lagers. Beer is to be enjoyed; if I enjoy drinking a pitcher of Blue Light with my friends while watching a hockey game, then what is it to you?
    There's nothing wrong with drinking Bud, or whatever, so long as you know what you're doing. What's frustrating is that most people never branch out beyond that limited horizon. I understand that the cheap lagers are brewed that way for a reason, but I don't think that reason is "mass appeal" so much as "minimal cost". The main reason I don't like commercial lager is that it's so full of chemicals that not only does it taste (imo) horrible but it gives you a killer hangover.

Of course not all beer should be dark; my favoured beer type is actually a pale ale. I'm also a fan of proper lager. However, I don't really like commercial lager as a product, I don't like the way they've come to dominate the market despite their lack of merit, and I don't like most of the companies that produce them. If people drink them because they actually like the beer, that's one thing. If people drink them because they've been convinced somehow that it's the only beer available, or the only "acceptable" beer, then I'm going to challenge that, and I'll always encourage people to try as many beers as possible given the opportunity so that they can make an informed choice.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Steady on, me lover, we barely know each other.
    I wonder how Westcountry we could go before we become unintelligible to someone outside the UK, yet still be able to hold a proper conversation?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder how Westcountry we could go before we become unintelligible to someone outside the UK, yet still be able to hold a proper conversation?
    About this far?
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

10. - Top - End - #100

I can actually understand it pretty well, I just can't write it or speak it well.

Edit:
    About this far?
    Yup, just about that far. After a few tries I can pick up a few words from each of them.

Edit:
    I HOPE YOU'RE ALL HAPPY. Now I've had "Combine Harvester" stuck in my head all afternoon during tae kwon do practice. Threw off my rhythm a few times too.
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2012-09-30 at 05:59 PM.
    Jude P.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

It's price minimization, plain and simple. There are some very good light bodied pilsners and lagers, that list doesn't include any of them. Generally speaking, they also come from microbrews, which are by no means restricted to hoppy and complex beers.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground

Regarding Guiness. Guiness Draught, which is most common here, is full in flavor, but not in body. Guiness Extra Stout is only sold in bottles here in the US. According to Wikipedia, it also goes by "Guiness Original" in some parts of the world, so it's very likely that's what is common on your side of the pond. And that is thicker...a "proper" stout. Either that or I need to rethink opinions given to me by the "Real Ale" types

Regarding "beer snobbery" the term is generally self-effacing. Me, I don't care what you drink (though when drinking with friends, sharing tastes of new beers is half the fun). If I'm at a party where there is only crappy beer, I might have a crappy beer. But given a choice, they're not to my tastes. I'm a geek...I think way too much about things, so I know a lot about what I'm drinking. If I call myself a beer snob, I'm taking a cheap, yet accurate shot at myself.

And beer snobs do not think everyone should share their tastes. I do not like belgians. I do not like hoppy beers. Those are two of the more popular preferences among that crowd. But no one who has drank with me thinks I don't know what I'm talking about. At the end of the day, beer=awesome, and good times for all. If that involves drinking Labatt's, there's nothing wrong with that. Though I'll be the first to say that Harp is considerably less good since Labatt's started brewing it

And I support people buying me copious amounts of scrumpy until I start singing along with the Wurzels. I blame Nevermind the Buzzcocks for my even knowing who they are.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    cheap rum still tastes like rum.
    Cheap rum tastes like gasoline with sugar. Cheap alcohol is always a tough drink. As for the beer, i think that drinking a Corona from the bottle, with a slice of lemon in it, is a good way to start for those who don't like the bitter taste. The bitter is mitigated by the zesty flavour of lemon but it's not suffocated as in fruity sweet drinks as ciders, so you can slowly build a taste for bitter and enjoy another part of the flavour spectrum ;)

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Just going to bring it back to nursing one beer for a while night for a moment. The problem with that is that the beer gets flat after a while and in most cases flat beer is disgusting.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

There's a stunt used a couple of times at parties. Go into the kitchen when nobody else is there, and mix Coke and 7-Up (or the equivalent). It now looks like a mixed drink to the drinkers.

These days, when I don't want to drink, I don't, and that's my choice. But the protective coloration can help.

16. - Top - End - #106

Not very far. A bit further and you'd become unintelligible to people from non-West-Country parts of the UK as well.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

# I am a cider drinker... I drinks it all of the day...
    I am a cider drinker... it sooths all me troubles away...
    ooh arr ooh arr ey, ooh arr ooh arr ey... #
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

I'm curious how this works in Japan. I was reading Culture Shock! Japan . The book advises that if invited to a party you have two choices:

1) Say firmly "Thanks, but I do not drink", and drink tea, soft drinks et al for the night.

2) Drink every toast etc and get utterly stinking drunk.

I'm wondering if there's an alternative. I think the above poster is right in that alcohol allows one to say things that are otherwise unacceptable in polite society ... but I remember watching an anime in which one of the stars took one tiny glass, stated "I am now tipsy", and then proceeded to give her significant other fifteen different kinds of peace of mind. So the forms were observed. Even if the lady wasn't actually drunk, she's still gone through the motions of drinking alcohol and thereby getting social cover for doing what had to be done.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bwaa View Post
    Blue Moon is an inexpensive, lightish wheat beer you can get out that way that I think is a very nice "starter beer" (put a slice of orange in your glass/bottle for added deliciousnessas that is the only way to properly drink Blue Moon).
    Fixed that for ya.

I have a couple of suggestions:

1) Milwaukee's Best: Simply by its name, you know it is good. This beer combines choice ingredients with a crisp finish. After all, it isn't Milwaukee's Worst.

2) Natural Light: This beer is organic--at least its name suggests that it is organic. It has a nice metallic taste and as a light beer, it isn't filling.

3) Coors Light: The famous silver bullet. It has a rich, complex favor and is quite heavy. It is made in the Rocky Mountains as you can tell from the can. It also has fancy color-coded technology that will tell you the optimal temperature for drinking this fine brew.

4) Budweiser: The king of beers. All other beers pay it tribute (seriously, they do). Fun fact: Budweiser is so upscale that is uses an exotic grain, rice, in its brewing process. Budweiser is famous for its complex hops which lend a spicy aftertaste.

5) Labatt's Blue: An import from the exotic and mysterous nation of Canada. Contrary to its name, Labatt's Blue is not, in fact, blue--actually, it is more of a yellow. However, drinking it won't make you blue either. Labatt's represents the best aspects of Canada--hockey, ballet, Tim Horton's, the good side of Niagara Falls, and hockey--in a twelve ounce can.

Now that's you've learned about North America's finest brews, you too can be a beer expert.
    Yeah... No... Don't drink American. I'm from Oklahoma, and live just north of Milwaukee now. Milwaukee's Best is nicknamed "Beast" for a reason... It's like drinking Piss water with some alcohol in it.

I am a beer snob, but that's because I've learned better.

I usually drink Guinness, Leinie's, Blue Moon, and any number of microbrews, local brews, craft beers, and imports. I have a taste for darker stouts and ales over all. I find that they actually taste good.

Also: Guinness is nicknamed "meal in a glass" for a reason.

EDIT: Going to add one of my new favorites from the other night: Strongbow. If you can find this, it is delicious. More of a Cider-y beer, but not too sweet. Has a nice, easy flavor.
    Last edited by Karen Lynn; 2012-10-01 at 12:48 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I'm curious how this works in Japan. I was reading Culture Shock! Japan .
    The book appears to have rather mixed reviews, so I suggest taking any advice it makes with a pinch of salt.

In the situation of a party, it very much depends on the context of the party. Entertaining a client is very different from going out drinking with friends, which in turn is different from a goukon (group blind date).

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    but I remember watching an anime in which one of the stars took one tiny glass, stated "I am now tipsy", and then proceeded to give her significant other fifteen different kinds of peace of mind. So the forms were observed. Even if the lady wasn't actually drunk, she's still gone through the motions of drinking alcohol and thereby getting social cover for doing what had to be done.
    Actually, from first hand experience of Japanese people's alcohol tolerance, she probably was at least tipsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Korvedzk View Post
    EDIT: Going to add one of my new favorites from the other night: Strongbow. If you can find this, it is delicious. More of a Cider-y beer, but not too sweet. Has a nice, easy flavor.
    Er, if it's this stuff, then the reason why it tastes cider-y, is because it IS cider.

From the earlier cider discussion, you'll also note that it's regarded as one of the lower quality ciders (drinkable only with blackcurrant and if someone else is buying as mentioned by CurlyKitGirl).

Edit: D'oh, forgot that Americans have non-alcoholic cider. I wonder if 'cider beer' is the new marketing term for 'hard cider' over there?
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-10-01 at 01:55 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Edit: D'oh, forgot that Americans have non-alcoholic cider. I wonder if 'cider beer' is the new marketing term for 'hard cider' over there?
    Never heard the term "cider beer" before. Fermented apple juice is referred to as "hard cider". Unless it's changed in the last few months. I suppose I'll have to make a trip to the liquor store. (Only for the sake of international curiosity, of course.)

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by razark View Post
    Never heard the term "cider beer" before. Fermented apple juice is referred to as "hard cider". Unless it's changed in the last few months. I suppose I'll have to make a trip to the liquor store. (Only for the sake of international curiosity, of course.)
    It's still hard cider, or just cider when used in context that makes it obvious you're already talking about alcholic drinks. I wouldn't put it past some brewery to make up a new phrase and try to make themselves seem interesting by 'inventing' a new kind of drink, tho. An actual 'cider beer' would probably be labeled as a lambic, an 'x beer with Apple flavors', or an 'apple based malt beverage', depending on legal labeling requirements and the honesty/accuracy of the brewer (a 'malt beverage' is something that is made like a beer but for one reason or another does not meet US requirements to be labeled/marketed as a beer. I suspect it's a term you won't find in many other places.)

(I will note that most of the Strongbow I've seen around here is sold in cans, which could make it more difficult to correctly identify the kind of drink if you aren't already familiar with it.)

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Korvedzk View Post
    Also: Guinness is nicknamed "meal in a glass" for a reason.
    Meal in a glass is also a perfect description of the belgian Delirium Tremens. So tasty, and so nourishing
    Last edited by Topus; 2012-10-01 at 02:47 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114

Yup, still have "Combine Harvester" stuck in my head.
    Jude P.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Never heard the term "cider beer" before.
    Is that like a lager beer?

I've never heard of a "cider beer", either.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Yup, still have "Combine Harvester" stuck in my head.
    Dammit, now you've set me off again.

Weren't we grand couple at the last Wurzel dance
    Oo arr oo arr
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that's obviously an entirely American list, which limits it rather. If you're including northern Europe, I doubt there's anywhere in the USA that would make it into the "top 10 beer cities". In fact I doubt there can be many in the "top 100".

American beer is no longer (all) a byword for "rats' urine" but I think they still have a fair way to go to catch up with Germany, Belgium, the Czech Republic, England, the Netherlands, et al.
    I'd completely disagree. In the Boise metro area we have like 30 microbreweries that have some of the best beer I've had. The pacific northwestern US has places like Rogue and Stone (well California). Most of Budweiser's hops come from Idaho, but we put them to much better use locally. I've tried a lot of imported award-winning German beer, and while some of its okay, they seem to look for something else when judging. There are lots of home brewers here too. Several hundred at the last local event I went to, and my city isn't that big. My girlfriend and I have recently started collecting the beer bottles of all the micros we have, I'll try and snap a picture of it tonight. For all the accolades I've heard about European beer I have yet to find one that has beaten out its regional (to me) counterparts. I'm open to brand suggestions though.
    Last edited by SDF; 2012-10-01 at 06:07 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SDF View Post
    I'd completely disagree. In the Boise metro area we have like 30 microbreweries that have some of the best beer I've had. The pacific northwestern US has places like Rogue and Stone (well California). Most of Budweiser's hops come from Idaho, but we put them to much better use locally. I've tried a lot of imported award-winning German beer, and while some of its okay, they seem to look for something else when judging. There are lots of home brewers here too. Several hundred at the last local event I went to, and my city isn't that big. My girlfriend and I have recently started collecting the beer bottles of all the micros we have, I'll try and snap a picture of it tonight. For all the accolades I've heard about European beer I have yet to find one that has beaten out its regional (to me) counterparts. I'm open to brand suggestions though.
    See the bolded part, that's your problem right there. When comparing top notch beers you don't drink imported stuff, you drink it locally brewed and from a tap.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-10-01 at 06:26 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

I would like to see. Should be nice. Also, when is this? I may have to check it out.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    See the bolded part, that's your problem right there. When comparing top notch beers you don't drink imported stuff, you drink it locally brewed and from a tap.
    If thats the qualification then unless you are ridiculously traveled you can't make many statements about most beer. I'm comparing bottled beers to regionally bottled beers.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    For me, Budweiser is locally brewed

-I don't live in St. Louis, but I do live near one of their regional breweries.