New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [IC] Cayden's Cheerful Company; Chapter 1: Carnival of Tears

Birds gave up their nests long ago, their song died off in the icy cold. But Quinn's carnival promises warmth and cheer for the lot of you. And where is party, there is the Company of Cayden.

Happiness and laughter are carried through the icy wind to you; and even a shy sun pierces the wintery clouds. Children enjoy the smells, sounds and view of Quinn's carnival as loud as children enjoy things. The titan wheel squeaks and moans as a bulky lumberjack tries his strength with it. A family dives into the extended ice labyrinth in the north, and dozens of ice skaters enjoy the frozen lake. Small dolls get awarded to villagers winning in the booths, and a freak show is getting advertised. The area is crowded by people who want to enjoy themselves before a long and cold winter.

You already entered the carnival, passing the ticket booths at the entry meant to keept the poor out. Some people and even kids beg you for some food or a few copper coins at the entrance. Having suffered illness or being crippled from wood chucking accidents, they try to get by. They usually get ignored by the rich merchants entering the fair, or even get abused by lumberjacks before those spend their money on frivolities. [You can decide to help out a few but there are far too many to help everyone. As soon as you help some you see more people coming to you. Maybe you can convince the carnival owner to let them in for some revelry? The ticket master certainly is not in charge so he is not allowed to decide this. ]

Inside you can decide to start off with the differing attractions. It is midday.

1) Mister Sathelbry's sled ride.
    You can book a sled ride around the carnival grounds. Mister Sathelbry is an incredibly grumpy cripple with an arm missing, denying children left and right a ride if they cannot pay. Those who did the ride however are enchanted by the beauty of it.

2) Menagerie of the Mutants (freak show).
    You can see them all! The girl with the dog face. The fat woman. The baby in a jar. A sword eater. The human fish. A one-headed ettin. Come and watch these freaks as they show off their alien features.

3) Ale Tent.
    It's stuff to drink. Though it attracts all kinds of patrons. Angry drunks, happy drunks, vomiting drunks, slighty drunks. Its ale is nothing to write home about but it's drink alright.

4) Burlesque show.
    Hidden behind the other tents you find a small tent with a burly half-orc in front. If you approach and want to enter, he wants 2 gp from each of you for an "experience you won't forget so quickly".

5) Tent of Engineering Wonders.
    A gigantic tent with oil covered tarps takes in most of the carnival grounds. You can wirring from inside. Kids want to peek inside, they try to take a quick look through holes just before they guard shoos them away.

6) Ice Labyrinth
    In the north there is a delightful ice labyrinth. In there, people are encouraged to find the exit without bumping into Gradzaal, the vile minotaur, represented by a few fair workers with simple yet entertaining paper masks of a bovine.

7) Titan Wheel
    How far can you turn the titan wheel? Measure your strength, and boast before. A simple test of strength, you can win coupons to drink or eat. Costs 1 sp. (Strength check DC 15, every 3 above 15 you get a coupon).

8) Pastry Tent
    You can get sweets and delicious meat pie here. A baking contest is announced later that day but the entries are already filled.

There is much to enjoy, to rechoice!

Music for this part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AczUS4_UW8k

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: [IC] Cayden's Cheerful Company; Chapter 1: Carnival of Tears

The frosty ground crumbles beneath my feet as I walk forwards, the air however is somewhat warm as the press of bodies roll past my chest, at least they would were i anybody else, but as an half-orc, not a lot of non-monsters even approach my height:

I growl softly to myself as I arrive at my destination, the sled ride, the man in front with his perpetual scowl sets his sight on me as I walk forward. This little krott was the one denying the children? Despite myself, I allow a small huff to escape me. My intention was clear, let the children on, or else. I stand less than 5 feet away from him before I speak. Voice low and sharp.

”Cur, allow me to make myself clear, I will give you one chance to desist your actions.”

I stare at him, his eyes over a foot shorter than mine. My muscles tensing in ways that would seem painful to anyone watching.

”Let the little ones on, let them experience something they will likely never see again.”
    Last edited by KnownParadox; 2018-12-18 at 07:20 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

As you almost rip a piece out of Mister Sathelbry's sled, you can see the sadistic glint in his eyes vanish for a short period. He looks at you with fear, then left or right if any carnival folk will come to his aid. A few moments pass, and nothing happens. He looks at Hatuk's bulging muscles, and finally caves.

Fine, one free ride. Only if you promise not to return, orc. he almost spits out. It almost pains him to have to do something for the children, you feel. The old man is staring unflinchingly into Hatuk's eyes, as if he would loose something of himself when he concedes to your iron stare.

Children, get on there. But if I hear one complaint, or loud laughing, I'm gonna give you a beating. As the children climb on there, their faces frozen in silent wonderment, Sathelbry takes off, as quickly as the sled can go.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

I am slightly saddened by the lack of fellow avians to commune with. However like how I cannot deny my nature as an Elf I cannot be upset at them for leaving for warmer corners of the world. I can at least occupy my own time relaxing at the pub. Research is needed for my tasks, and any attempt to open up more would be most welcome.

I head to the local tent, excusing myself in and am greeted by the warm lamp and the merry cheers of drunkards and cherry faced men, all united in their inebriation. I order one of the local flavors, and attempt to stir up conversation with another loneish looking man nursing his cup.

"Er, greeting, I'm a Druid who wants to talk to people. You seem like people, do you wish to speak of life and its wonder?
    Last edited by Wind-Up Citrus; 2018-12-18 at 07:44 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Clover patted the half-orc's shoulder, "Well, nicely done friend, but did you need to give the old codger a heart attack? You know I've seen your purse, you'd easily have enough copper to give these kids hundreds of rides, eh?"

The satyr chuckled, and beckoned, "Come friend, let's go see the dancer's dance to calm you down a bit, I imagine they've been working hard on their routines and I'd hate to not give them a chance for an audience, aye? Certainly would get us out of this cold!
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2018-12-18 at 07:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Drastia is met with a weird look. You actually start a bit of small talk with a curious young man obviously more enticed with your elven features than your talking. He is a lumberjack who came to town to make enough money to settle down and start a family. And apparently you are absolutely his type. Because you are female.

After 5 minutes of him actually being interested in your last adventures you can see a drunkard shouting: Damn a'vent'rers. Thinck, they'r bettr than usssss. Thinck they're so tuff. You there, elf, fite me! Your new friend - and if he has a say in it, husband - charges the drunkard only to be knocked out by a mean right hook.

S'what I thought...you'r a coward, elf.
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-12-18 at 08:06 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

“Not currently.”

I pull in a deep breath, and start walking off to the test of strength I saw earlier, the wheel or something.

“You can visit your little peep show, I’m doing my daily workout, and I saw something that’s seems close to it. Work off some stress my own way.”
    Last edited by KnownParadox; 2018-12-18 at 08:08 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Drastia is met with a weird look. You actually start a bit of small talk with a curious young man obviously more enticed with your elven features than your talking. He is a lumberjack who came to town to make enough money to settle down and start a family. And apparently you are absolutely his type. Because you are female.

After 5 minutes of him actually being interested in your last adventures you can see a drunkard shouting: Damn a'vent'rers. Thinck, they'r bettr than usssss. Thinck they're so tuff. You there, elf, fite me! Your new friend - and if he has a say in it, husband - charges the drunkard only to be knocked out by a mean right hook.

S'what I thought...you'r a coward, elf.
    I rise in anger at the remarks, but let the memories of the wilds overtake me. Hate doesn't get me dinner nor will it give me what I want. And what I want, while everyone else is ignoring the very brief pub brawl with my husband to not be, and the scoundrel who insulted me, I have this to say:

Nothing. He's yet another drunk in a world of drunks. At least that is what I attempt to do.
    Last edited by Wind-Up Citrus; 2018-12-18 at 08:13 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

As Hatuk approaches the wheel, a loud crier spots him instantly. Take a spin at the giant's wheel, the wheel of titans. Test your strength and muscles. You there, orc. Can you beat the previous record of 6 turns?

The contraption is a about 12 foot high wooden wheel. At its base it has a convoluted mechanism compromised of cogs and wheels to create some resistance. You are not sure if it can be manipulated but you assume it is adjusted enough to not allow people to win too much.

Have a spin, it is just one silver. and you might win an ale or two!

Drastia is met with beer breath: I'm Jasell, you arrogant panssy. He approaches you, kicking your friend once again. As he breathes out you can smell a mix of ale, meat spices and foul breath. Jasell comes uncomfortably close and empties his tankard on your shirt. Whaddya do now? Can'd ask a tree to help ya now, can ya...friggin elfs.
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-12-18 at 08:19 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Clover shrugged, "Suit yourself, friend."

----

"No respect for the performing arts these days," Clover mutters to himself as he makes his way through the tents. He reaches the sign that he had of course spotted earlier, and nods to the bouncer as he, quite dramatically, produces three coins, "Two for the show, and one for you, friend. It's thankless work, I'm sure."

He still had plenty left over from his last job, after all, and was surely not going to be in want of any more any time soon.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Caroline makes a beeline for the pastry tent. It clearly needed thorough investigating. She would collect samples and analyze them. With her stomach.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I’m in the midst of yanking the wheel and about to break the record, definitely, totally. My ears twitch as I hear faint shouting coming from the ale tent, experience made me familiar with drunken shouting, and was about to continue, but then stopped as he heard the shout of “FIRE!” reaching over the noise.

Sighing to himself he stepped off the plate and ignored the jeers from the crowd. I went off in a light jog towards the tent and that troublesome girl.

“Irritating bird brain... what have you gotten yourself into now girl..”
    Last edited by KnownParadox; 2018-12-18 at 08:33 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

The bouncer hands you a ticket and smiles a toothy grin. If you want to join the show, you can inquire with Kabran. The show starts in half an hour. You can sit inside, or you can come back then. Maybe bring your friends. I might be able to sneak someone else in. The orc grins again. One coin for him, and two tickets for you.

Meanwhile Caroline can pick from tarts, pies, meat pies and even pigs in a blanket (sausages in baked dough), ranging from almost any quality and quantity. The chef there is a porky individual with a dirty apron and a nice chef hat.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Drastia is met with beer breath: I'm Jasell, you arrogant panssy. He approaches you, kicking your friend once again. Bet you never had a real man liek meh. As he breathes out you can smell a mix of ale, meat spices and foul breath. Jasell sits down next to you, uncomfortably close.
    I look at the floor of my new compatriot, stuck on the ground with no one else to help him. Jasell is obviously drunk. What is more obvious is his intent to assert himself as an alpha male. He is not likely to say no. So, as a woman, and as a child of the Earth and Sky, it is only natural to believe that he will not back down unless shown a show of force.

I look him in the eyes, smile, and say one of my favorite phrases when one needs to show someone out the hovel entrance.
    Flare

Then I Create Water on his head while he is discombobulated before escaping the tent and my pathetic excuse of a would be mate.

Alright then I say to myself That could have gone a lot better. It was his fault really I was merely keeping to myself. I should head to the Menagerie of the Mutants. I can't possibly mess up that.
    Last edited by Wind-Up Citrus; 2018-12-18 at 11:20 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Caroline tries not to openly salivate as she addresses the cook.

"Hello sir. I'm not sure what to try first - what would you recommend?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Showing up rather fashionably late, with an appearance of already being a tad sloshed, is Therin Dasher. Already he has a mug full of some sort of liquid as he approaches main gate, looking over the people as the beg and plead. He takes a moment to pull his obvious coin purse free, and whips it around, throwing coppers on the ground in front of the ticket stand, as he pulls out his own fare from the pouch to get into the carnival. Hobbling past the entrance he heads to the most obvious place to be. The freak show.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you, good sir, trust I shall return an hour hence!" Clover tucks the ticket into one of the many pockets lining the inside of his vest, nods, and leaves to find another way to pass the time. He heads back to the entrance of the carnival, thumbs casually tucked in his belt, where he spies another ally of his.

"Ah! Therin, my perennially belated compeer! Finally found the fairgrounds, aye?" He winks, "Though, perhaps it's that the fair found you first, hah!"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Kouran spied Therin stumbling past him. "You all right? I know it's cheaper to get buzzed before you arrive but you have to pace yourself." He looked up at his companion's destination and scoffed at the idea. "Freak show? You show me a one-headed ettin and I'll show you a two-eyed cyclops," he joked. "Next they'll have a giant halfling. Go on in if you like; I've a mind to see the burlesque show."
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2018-12-19 at 02:29 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Drastia

As Jasell tries to insult you further, you cast a spell. You are lucky that he is too slow to catch on, and next thing there is an incredibly bright flare in his face. Damn elf. he curses and swings at you. You are smacked in the face for [7] nonlethal damage before you can retreat. To add insult to injury, you now drown him in water.

Two tables away, you can hear someone mistake the flare for actual fire and yell for help. Fire! she exclaims. Almost on your way out, you bump into Hatuk.

You grip the titan wheel with both hands, swing it down, as you hear someone cry for help. That is where Drastia went! You slip and can't use your full force on the wheel, which does 4 turns. Before the carnie can even announce you sadly did not win a beer, you are gonna, running towards the ale tent.

This also attracts the attention of two larger carnival workers who want to put a stop to the commotion. As you enter the tent, Drastia almost runs over you but your broad chest stops her.

As you throw around copper pieces, you get a weird look from the merchants and carnival folk but the beggars quickly scurry to pick up the pieces. They are glad that they don't have to be hungry for the day but the fact that they have to pick the pieces out of the dirt reminds them of their low low status.

A rather hunky lumberjack laughs at them scooping up copper in the dirt.

You are a weird view for most of the carnival goers though they mostly expect you to be working for the carnival. A few kids try non too subtly to come closer. Apparently they made a dare to "touch the goat person". A mother covers her child from the 'demon spawn' as you are again mistaken for a tiefling, a half demon, and does a small orison to Iomedae.

You are recognized. Not so much by name yet, but you are obviously a cleric of Cayden Cailean, and people like him and his silly little origin story. They also know while a little uncontrolled, their clergy is always friendly and helpful. You get a few smiles and cheers from people with tankards.

You hear a commotion going on in the ale tent. It is too early for a drunk brawl but someone shouted "Fire", and while Hatuk is engaging the situation, Drastia is leaving along with a few other worried faces.
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-12-19 at 05:02 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Therin yawns, taking note of the lumberjack, as he takes a swig of whatever liquid he had in his mug at the time. It wasn't Therin's job to make people feel good about getting assistance from him, nor was he going to try to jump in to defend their honor. However.. if an opportunity presented itself in the future he might end up taking it out on that particular lumber jack. However pressing issues seem to come from the ale tent. "Cayden save the ale!" he cries out, stumbling over that direction instead of the freak show.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, vinyu," Clover curses as he follows after the swordsman, "we've barely been here ten minutes!"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I snort dismissively at the angry human attempting to follow that damned Druid, his feet unsteady as slurs something about “orc****”.

My frown deepens.

Stop, sit down you brat.“ I borderline growl at the ‘man’.

I prepare for ‘combat’, pest control more likely, but it never hurts to be prepared.

The Rage burns like a bonfire, underneath my skin, practically begging to be released.

Not needed, but it was there.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Clover enters the tent, and is relieved to find that it is, in fact, his compatriots. No surprise there. He looks over at Drastia, commenting in Sylvan, "Ah, my little wren, looks like you already got the fun started..."

He stops and frowns when he notices the bruise welling on her cheek, though it doesn't take long to do the math when he notices Hatuk engaging the drunk. This could go badly.

"You alright?" He asks the druid curtly, dropping any pretense of flamboyance for but a moment.
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2018-12-19 at 11:33 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by KnownParadox View Post
    I snort dismissively at the angry human attempting to follow that damned Druid, his feet unsteady as slurs something about “orc****”.

My frown deepens.

Stop, sit down you brat.“ I borderline growl at the ‘man’.

I prepare for ‘combat’, pest control more likely, but it never hurts to be prepared.

The Rage burns like a bonfire, underneath my skin, practically begging to be released.

Not needed, but it was there.
    I stop as I slam face first into the meat wall that is Hatuk. At his request I aquiese and move aside, I haven't the mental energy to argue back in the face of him, especially when he has the eyes of someone who feels like he has seen something appalling to his personal code.

To my side I notice Clover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    Clover enters the tent, and is relieved to find that it is, in fact, his compatriots. No surprise there. He looks over at Drastia, commenting in Sylvan, "Ah, my little wren, looks like you already got the fun started..."

He stops and frowns when he notices the bruise welling on her cheek, though it doesn't take long to do the math when he notices Hatuk engaging the drunk. This could go badly.

"You alright?" He asks the druid curtly, dropping any pretense of flamboyance for but a moment.
    I response back in Sylvan "It's nothing" as I cast Cure Light Wounds on myself, already the bruise discoloration fades. "As you can see, I was slapped by a wolf pup acting like a pack leader. As usual Hatuk is taking matters into his own hands. Cirrus and Cayden above I just wanted to improve my talking."
    Last edited by Wind-Up Citrus; 2018-12-19 at 12:50 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Hearing the shouts, Caroline looks at her teetering tower of pastries and then smiles sweetly at the proprietor.

"Hold these for me, please," she asks, putting a handful of coins down before running off towards the ale tent.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Kouran was on his way to the burlesque show when overheard someone yelling "Fire!", and hurried towards it. Is that the ale tent? Better keep the fire away from the hard stuff or there'll be real trouble.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Having dallied around watching people and playing arcade games a while, Logan smelled fire and ran as fast as he could towards its source. ”Is anybody hurt?”

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Therin

You see the scene unfold. A bulky and very drunk lumberjack is running after Drastia, his fists raised, shouting something about elf britches and damn adventurers or somesuch. He doesn't seem very coherent, nor martially skilled, and an angry drunk. Plus he is somewhat wet and was apparently blinded as he bumps into a few fair goers.

Hatuk

As Drastia basically hides behind you, you growl at the man to sit down. As with Sathelbry, you can see a glint of fear in his eyes, but other than the old cripple, Jasell still has some fight left in him. That, and he is very angry at Drastia for some reason. He hesitates to punch you but still goes through with it, just fist being stopped by your big hand.

Others

No one is really hurt, and there is no fire you can see. The only fire you can see is in Jasell's and Hatuk's eyes, and the lumberjack's lights are probably about to go out.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Therin deftly stumbles in closer moving behind the lumberjack. It was suppose to be a joyous occasion, that is what parties where, and with a quick sizing up between the jack and orc Therin decided to get the fastest result of resolution. His walking stick juts out just enough to trip the lumberjack as he walks by.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Trip attack (1d20+9)[16] +2 from flanking +2 from dirty fighting, +1 from Militia

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Jasell falls to the ground.