New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Lightbulb [Spell/Power] Burn, baby, BURN!

Breathless Flame
    Evocation [Fire]
    Level: Drd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./ level)
    Area: 20-ft.diameter sphere or hemisphere
    Duration: Concentration + 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: None; see text
    Spell Resistance: No

You produce a stationary sphere or hemisphere of fire around an area. Everything within this sphere automatically takes 1d6 points of fire damage per round plus 1d6 extra per caster level after 5th (maximum 15d6). This fire quickly consumes all available air within, suffocating those inside the succeeding round. The targets take a -2 penalty on their Constitution checks to continue holding their breath. Those that pass through the sphere automatically sustain 2d6 points of damage plus 1d6 extra per caster level after 5th (maximum 15d6).

-=-=-=-=-=-

Breathless Flame, Psionic
    Psychokinesis [Fire]
    Level: Psion/wilder 3
    Display: Visual
    Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./ level)
    Area: 20-ft.diameter sphere or hemisphere
    Duration: Concentration + 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: None; see text
    Power Resistance: No
    Power Points: 5

You produce a stationary sphere or hemisphere of fire around an area. Everything within this sphere automatically takes 1d6 points of fire damage per round.This fire quickly consumes all available air within, suffocating those inside the succeeding round. The targets take a -2 penalty on their Constitution checks to continue holding their breath. Those that pass through the sphere automatically sustain 2d6 points of damage.

Augment: For every additional power point you spend, this power’s damage increases by one die (d6).
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-04-05 at 09:31 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Spell/Power] Burn, baby, BURN!

Oooh. Stylish. I'm not sure about Spell Resistance: No, as evocation spells usually permit it; I'd say yes to SR against the fire damage but not the suffocation.

Also, it's a Con check (not Fortitude) to keep holding your breath, and the phrasing of "suffocating those inside the next round who take a -2 penalty on their Fortitude checks" is a little unclear. (It seems to imply those who take a penalty will suffocate on the next round...) I'd suggest, "suffocating those inside, beginning in the next round [actually, I'm not sure what you mean by 'on the next round']. Constitution checks to continue holding one's breath are made at a -2 penalty."
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Oooh. Stylish. I'm not sure about Spell Resistance: No, as evocation spells usually permit it; I'd say yes to SR against the fire damage but not the suffocation.
    Well, except the fire isn't being directed at them. They aren't being touched by the fire, its the pressure oven inside its generating. Perhaps when you actually push through the fire it should allow spell resistance.

Also, it's a Con check (not Fortitude) to keep holding your breath, and the phrasing of "suffocating those inside the next round who take a -2 penalty on their Fortitude checks" is a little unclear. (It seems to imply those who take a penalty will suffocate on the next round...) I'd suggest, "suffocating those inside, beginning in the next round [actually, I'm not sure what you mean by 'on the next round']. Constitution checks to continue holding one's breath are made at a -2 penalty."
    Will adjust.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Hmm, damage-wise it's okay, the suffocation wouldn't be that bad if the occupants could run away, but I'm not sure about your wording on passing through. Do you mean those entering the sphere, exiting the sphere, passing through the sphere in a single round, or what?
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

So, it suffocates and burns you, very cool...but...you can walk out?

Sounds to me like there is nothing forcing them to stay in it, so they can walk out, cease taking damage, and not suffocate.

It'd work amazingly with something like hold perosn.

6. - Top - End - #6

I think that's the point. It deals a minimum of 3d6+2d6/level above 5th, if you leave immediately; not bad, but not on par with fireball, either. But a canny wizard/druid/psychokineticist will use it in circumstances where leaving is more difficult. Say by summoning a couple of fire elementals to sit in the sphere with 'em.
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    Hmm, damage-wise it's okay, the suffocation wouldn't be that bad if the occupants could run away, but I'm not sure about your wording on passing through. Do you mean those entering the sphere, exiting the sphere, passing through the sphere in a single round, or what?
    If you pass within or out of the sphere you take damage.

Sounds to me like there is nothing forcing them to stay in it, so they can walk out, cease taking damage, and not suffocate.

It'd work amazingly with something like hold perosn.
    Precisely

I think that's the point. It deals a minimum of 3d6+2d6/level above 5th, if you leave immediately; not bad, but not on par with fireball, either. But a canny wizard/druid/psychokineticist will use it in circumstances where leaving is more difficult. Say by summoning a couple of fire elementals to sit in the sphere with 'em.
    Yup, exactly. Deals less damage but has more uses than normal damaging powers of that level.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    I don't know, do fire elementals need to breathe?

Everything within this sphere automatically takes 1d6 points of fire damage per round plus 1d6 extra per caster level after 5th (maximum 20d6)
    Should that have a maximum of 15d6? Or does this scale up to epic levels?
    Quote Originally Posted by starwoof View Post
    Your manly chin makes Jay Leno weep.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kyace View Post
    I don't know, do fire elementals need to breathe?
    "Elementals do not eat, sleep, or breathe."

Should that have a maximum of 15d6? Or does this scale up to epic levels?
    Had thought maybe it could... but 15d6 does sound better.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Very very cool. I like that one. Using entangle first could help too.. though I suppose technically whatever plant is holding you woudl burn up and let go...

Only the mad may judge what is sane

"I swear... I'm going to kill you, raise you back to life... kill you again and than raise you as a zombie to do stupid demeaning things for the rest of your unatural undeath!" ~My necromancer to a cohort

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

As if we need more fire spells... Of course we do! I play DnD purely for gratifying pyromantics.I like the spell a lot, but you are a far superior homebrewer to myself. You decide the balance.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rigel- "You have, like, eight threads open! You're like a binge-reader or something!"
    Me- "Ten. Shush, I Just found a cool thread!"
    Rigel- "Do you even ever post?"
    Me- "No. Ooh, 'Bad times to roll a natural 20'? Greatest Jedi ever poll? Cool!"
    Rigel- "Binge-lurker, I say!"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'd suggest putting a cap on the Augment damage of the Psionic version- We don't want any Psions dumping all of their PP into it- the result could be rolling hundreds or even thousands of Dice for it in the case of Epic Psionicists. @_o

Even worse if they dump all their points but a few then cast Permanence on it.... Then figure out some way to tow it around. Gah.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Very, very nice. This almost reminds me of PHII's dual-school spells. The fire damage is Evocation, but the fire sticking around and suffocating is almost Conjuration... eh, just tossing it out there.

Much love for the spell, and thanks for making a power version too.

Time for me to have some fun with NPC spellcasters...
    Currently DMing Dawnforge.

Working on a Planescape/Pathfinder campaign for next fall. Any Planescape people, please hit me up. I'm trying to read all the information I can find!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mojotech View Post
    I'd suggest putting a cap on the Augment damage of the Psionic version- We don't want any Psions dumping all of their PP into it- the result could be rolling hundreds or even thousands of Dice for it in the case of Epic Psionicists. @_o

Even worse if they dump all their points but a few then cast Permanence on it.... Then figure out some way to tow it around. Gah.
    There is a cap on it. Psionicists can't spend more power points than their manifester level.
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small