New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Nexus] Outside XVII

This place is just as it sounds. It's outside.
    Want a change of scenery? Go outside.
    Always wanted to visit the beach? Come outside.
    Looking to have a climatic fight on clifftops? Attempt outside.
    Secret meetings being held where there's no cameras? Try outside.
    Want an ambush without nasty base defenses? Yep. Outside.

Any and all are welcome here. There are no NPCs unless you bring them in. The major exception is the creepy eyed squirrel. The creepy eyed squirrel does not interfere with anyone. The creepy eyed squirrel is everywhere outside. The creepy eyed squirrel is always watching. The creepy eyed squirrel never sleeps. The creepy eyed squirrel can not be damaged, manipulated, or killed by anyone. The creepy eyed squirrel will eat anyone's very being who attempts to do so. Anyone can god-mode the creepy eyed squirrel. You may pet the creepy eyed squirrel at your own risk.

Other NPCs currently include:
    The menacing crabs. These intimidating creatures are usually found by the shore.
    The non-existant duck. You'll miss every time you shoot at it.

There is very little you can't do outside. However, like always, please follow the forum rules and general rules of conduct. Private conversations can be held outside. If it seems like a private (secret) conversation, please respect that. Those having such a conversation should do their best to indicate it as such. Otherwise, other characters may stumble upon you. Those desiring to spy in on private conversations should first PM those holding the private conversation, more out of courtesy than anything else.

There are many areas outside, and people can be in multiple places outside. In order to keep areas outside separated so there's no confusion, consider bolding your outside location at the start of each of your posts, like so:

The Fields

Reinholdt sets up various targets and practices his sharpshooting. All these events recently has made him a bit rusty. To his left, he notes the creepy eyed squirrel. Giving him the heebie-jeebies, Reinholdt decides to head somewhere else.
    The Cliffside

Calublufiok broods over his latest scheme as he flies over the cliffs. The creepy eyed squirrel is watching him again. He finds occasionally landing and telling the creepy eyed squirrel his plans helps him find holes in his plotting.
    Note Reinholdt and Calublufiok do not interact because they are in different areas outside. They could interact, if Reinholdt moves to the cliffside. Of course, various things like telepathy help bypass this. Also, please note outside has no major buildings, though minor ones crop up from time to time.

And most importantly, enjoy outside. That's what this is all about.

Outside now contains various Outside locations! Such as...
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Dead Pine Lake]
    Spoiler
    Show
    This lake lies in the middle of the forest. On the eastern shore, woodpeckers feast on the dead pines that give the lake its name. Sometimes one can find Lady Death here, the Aspect of Eve also known as The Grandmother, or Jedwiga.

(Please PM happyturtle if you wish to interact with Jedwiga.)

Spoiler
    Show

[The Islands]
    Spoiler
    Show

An island cluster forms an archipelago along the coast. Some of the islands are settled, some not, but most are at least occasionally visited by the fishermen who work these waters.

[Gersemi's Island]
    Spoiler
    Show

Gersemi the seighkona lives on a small island in the archipelago with a single hut and a few sheep. Inside the hut, there is a single room, and a fireplace. A loom rests in one corner.

(Please PM happyturtle if you wish to interact with Gersemi.)

[Redbrick Falls]
    Spoiler
    Show

A mountainous, cliffy region with a prominent waterfall. A large quarry once was worked in these cliffs. Now, only a few scattered villages and solitary dwellings remain.

[Norosa, Great City of the Elves]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Lawful Evil city with an incredibly strong military and a very charismatic leader (Archmage Tyrion Lannister). It has a few CG resisters, but, otherwise, it is a city of peace and law, despite its evil nature.

[Brillian's Baneful Bestiary]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A secret series of caves where a mad scientist lives. A mad scientist who creates mutant attack creatures. These can be purchased for the right price.

[Auxiliary MagCave]
    Spoiler
    Show

A relic from the days of the Age of Apocalypse, this abandoned cavern was once used by the infamous cyborg Magtok as a back-up laboratory and underground fortress, should Calublufiok have ever stormed the primary MagCave.

[The Katz Motel]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Located in the middle of Nowhere, our roadside motel is the only decent place for miles near the Taverna that has a bed. Run by a suave anthropomorphic cat, there is a strict No Dogs policy.

A bellhop by the name of Bates is always ready to assist in carrying your luggage. Please ignore his constant mutterings about his mother. Other more unsavory employees can occasionally be found. Please try to avoid eye contact with them.

We at the Katz Motel wish to ensure you have a splendid stay. Any inconvenience due to randomly locking doors, giant spiders, secret passages, vampires, creepy paintings, and the occasional possession and subsequent exorcism are incredibly rare. Just look at our complaint cards! Not a single one mentions dying horribly in their sleep or becoming food for the monster in the basement.

And if you get bored, the owner will always be up for a game of sport, old boy.

((The Katz Motel is a horror filled place with the highest casualty rate of any motel in the Nexus area. Checking in is usually pretty easy and pleasant. Checking out is rare. Anyone can play the Motel and the NPCs within, free to invent their own horror. The NPCs within that can die usually only suffer death temporarily, the supernatural force causing the disturbances bringing them back to life for its own nefarious purposes. PCs get no benefit from this.))

[The Troll Cave]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A cave in a craggy hill. The undergrowth outside is trampled completely flat, and there's not much wildlife. There's a burned patch where a fire is sometimes there. Inside are a few large caves, linked by surprisingly smooth tunnels that look like something big has been regularly pushing through them.

[Blind Cat's Bluff]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A sheer cliff dropoff that travels straight down into the water, this is a favored point of people who commit suicide, romantics wanting to watch the sunset and anyone looking to get rid of evidence. The drop is pretty far and there are rocks at the bottom that spell almost certain doom, so watch your step.

PM Whoever's posted the current Outside thread if you wish to add locations to Outside.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2010-10-16 at 11:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Outside XVII

AuxCave

Magtok cringes, this sort of auditory nonsense always scared the hell out of him, even if he tried not to show it around everyone else.

Aken. I see.

Maggy quickly does a search on Quickypedia of the name, finding a vaguely worrisome reference to Egyptian mythology, but which could very likely just be coincidental. All in all, there's probably much worse names he could have, but on the other hand, these sorts of beings were usually pretty subtle with names like that.

Well Mr. Aken, it's nice to meet you, and I hate to have to ask this, and I apologize if it strikes you as a tad rude, but are you out to kill me, end the world, conquer sin, or babble inanely whilst smearing blood on the walls?
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

((Repost, because a certain cat was far too quick with the new thread. *glares at Reinholdt*))

[The Golden Hall]

"Yess yess, I know, I'm doomed and all that. No chance of you finally dropping thiss and jusst leaving me alone then?" Damon asks, sending a burst of shadow fire at Pegrim.

He doesn't really expect it to do much, but he would appreciate it if his brother would just shut up and give up already.

"Ssarah iss going to drag me round on a leassh after thiss..." Damon mutters to himself quietly. If he's all Pegrim needs to wake the demon world once more, he's never going to get a moment's peace.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

[AuxCave]

The man, tall and imposing, pauses, ceasing his ominous tapping. I am not here to kill. He thinks, more. I am not here to cause the end of this existence. And again. Sin is not my concern. And smearing blood on the walls would be difficult even if I wanted to do it, given my incorporeal state. He resumes his tapping, but more slowly now, the rhythm more grave. I am here, subservient, to assist you from the recesses of your mind, offer words and wisdom, and aid in your transition.
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    ((Repost, because a certain cat was far too quick with the new thread. *glares at Reinholdt*))

[The Golden Hall]

"Yess yess, I know, I'm doomed and all that. No chance of you finally dropping thiss and jusst leaving me alone then?" Damon asks, sending a burst of shadow fire at Pegrim.

He doesn't really expect it to do much, but he would appreciate it if his brother would just shut up and give up already.

"Ssarah iss going to drag me round on a leassh after thiss..." Damon mutters to himself quietly. If he's all Pegrim needs to wake the demon world once more, he's never going to get a moment's peace.
    [The Golden Hall]

And at the same moment the light of the staff consumes Damon and Nixm, Pegrim might be replying, but he can't even hear it as all sounds appear to drown out into utter silence as the staff activates.

[Outside the gates of Inside]

With a flash of light a half-naked beaten woman and a Zern appears a bit outside the gate of inside, they get a few spectators watching them, but in the nexus this is rather common stuff so it does not really count as something you should pay too much attention to. Assorting with people that do that kind of stuff often end up with people that don't do it dead.

Nixm falls down on the ground, even too weak to hold on to the staff that she leaves in Damon's grip. He might notice that she have filled the little clothing she have with various artifacts taken from the Golden Hall.

*will post for the black descent later when more have posted*
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2010-09-19 at 04:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

AuxCave

Magtok raises an eyebrow as the man pauses repeatedly to think things over. Well, there goes his 'Are you a sane, normal fellow who just happens to be a figment of my imagination' question.

I see. What sort of transition, and what kind of help, and-

Magtok shakes his head. No, don't give him an excuse to stand around blankly again!

Actually, never mind that. So umm...did you have anything in mind for us to do first, or are decisions like that entirely up to me here?
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

[AuxCave]

I am here to assist, and thus will assist as you will. Is there anything on your mind, sir? Aken pulls a large, dark chair out of nothingness, and sits himself upon it fluidly, his form folding neatly into its recesses. Sitting, he waits for Maggy's response silently, his tapping having now transformed to utter silence.
    Words, my weapons...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Kael, awesome.
    I has been owned.

8. - Top - End - #8

AuxCave

Magtok shrugs, and sighs.

I suppose. After that last apocalypse we just dodged, I can't help but feel...trapped. We're all almost certain there will be more in the future, and I'm certainly going to be thrown into those, but I want to live my own life.

I want to do something Magg-ish. blow up the moon, kidnap someone with an influential spouse or lover, or lead a charge on NO, but as far as I can tell, the world's kinda frozen in a weird sort of stasis, with only mass graves for NPCs every few months to change things up. Dunno if there's really anything you can say or do about that, though.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2010-09-19 at 04:54 PM.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

[AuxCave]

Ignore the wills of others. Other entities are weak, and die. You live on. Aken says, but his tone implies there's something he's not mentioning, but he continues on past it, all the same. Have you considered doing something amusing, mischievous, and yet positive? A prank of technological marvel, that would impress others and worry your enemies with your wit and might, and satisfy your urge to imprint your power upon this verdant plane? He shrugs his shoulders, slightly. Or perhaps, as you say, kidnap someone. It's a classic.
    Last edited by Kaelaroth; 2010-09-19 at 05:00 PM.
    Words, my weapons...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Kael, awesome.
    I has been owned.

10. - Top - End - #10

I had an idea for something more positive, and really spectacular, but...

Magtok sighs, and hands over a folder with "Operation: DIAMOND" and "CLASSIFIED: I'LL SHOOT YOU IF YOU TRY TO SNOOP AND READ THIS, I SWEAR" stamped in red on the cover.

Deadtime got in the way. I figure I'll just scare the hell out of the other AMENites with a little show of force when we're all packed into that submarine, but that's just going to be a one-day thing. Maybe urge Gordon to go ahead and assault Inside and then clear out while he's off committing suicide, or-

Magtok smiles, and looks up at Arken.

Y'know, you're right. Screw their wills and plans and whining, I'm going to head out and do something.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Outside XVII - What, no witty subtitle?

[ICB - Project Headquarters]

"You certainly may."

Outside the building, a cyborg and a non-cyborg are sneaking through the rain and vegetation towards the entrance. All that anyone is likely to notice at this distance is the faint red light of Kai's mechanical eye.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

[Gersemi's Isle]

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Happy follows Melody's instructions.
    The gash to Lyanna's forehead is deep. Under Happy's care, she begins to stir slightly. At least you know she's alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Reinholdt doesn't know what else there is besides a barn and a cottage and a beach on this island! He has no idea as to his options!

There were other people staying here though right? Perhaps other shelters? Reinholdt will try with those first, holding Estia close.
    Reinholdt starts heading to where he thinks the shanty town once was. Maybe Lyanna and Jezebelle are there. But....
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    Quinn, catching up to Reinholt and Estia, is about to say something, when she hears Melody's shout in her mind.

~ - I'm on my way,~ she quickly responds, before shouting over the storm. "To the cottage! They're there! And hurt!" she yells, before turning and heading for, well, the cottage!

Where she'll basically burst down the door getting in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Reinholdt tries to lead Estia that way once he hears the news. He considers quipping that just opening the door and walking in would be a whole lot more effective than destroying their shelter.

So he does.
    Fortunately, he's probably not heard over the storm and the coming of the...
    Quinn flies ahead of Reinholdt and Estia, prepared to burst down the door. First thing she notices is that the door is still open. Second, Jezebelle is laying in front of it. Third, blood leading to where Happy is administering basic care to Lyanna.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [ICB - Project Headquarters]

"You certainly may."

Outside the building, a cyborg and a non-cyborg are sneaking through the rain and vegetation towards the entrance. All that anyone is likely to notice at this distance is the faint red light of Kai's mechanical eye.

[ICB]

Inside a building filled with crystalline technology and painted with such a modernistic decor, the old sea dog in a leather coat feels...somewhat out of place, and in awe at the sheer magnitude of the place around him.

He looks towards Val, as if trying to find something more reassuring, and blinks a few times, before whispering to her.

These...Crystals...what are they for? Are they made of magic?

And yes, before you ask, Magicite is basically made of pure magic, hence him thinking that the crystals are made literally out of nothing but magic.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-kat View Post
    [Gersemi's Isle]

The gash to Lyanna's forehead is deep. Under Happy's care, she begins to stir slightly. At least you know she's alive.

Reinholdt starts heading to where he thinks the shanty town once was. Maybe Lyanna and Jezebelle are there. But....

Quinn flies ahead of Reinholdt and Estia, prepared to burst down the door. First thing she notices is that the door is still open. Second, Jezebelle is laying in front of it. Third, blood leading to where Happy is administering basic care to Lyanna.
    "Get Lyanna." Reinholdt tells Quinn as he goes to check on Jezebelle himself to see what's wrong with her.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

{Gersemi's Isle}

When Reinholdt gets to Jezebelle, he will find blood is pooling under her chest. When he checks her pulse, which I'm certain is next, he will find none. She is dead.

Momma? Estia kneels down beside Reinholdt, letting him do his thing.
    Last edited by Lex-Kat; 2010-09-19 at 07:25 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

{Gersemi's Isle}

"Jezebelle..."

Reinholdt didn't know what to do. What he could do. What to say.
    He had worked so hard to reunite her with her daughters. She was there for him when he really needed to cry.
    And there was nothing he could do for her. No warning.
    Nothing. It wasn't fair.

"I'm sorry Estia."

Reinholdt looks for what may have caused the wound. This seems unusual for something to happen in just a storm, harsh though the storm may have been.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

{Gersemi's Isle}

Estia looks to reinholdt. What was he sorry about? she wondered.

Then looked back to Jezebelle. Momma? Momma wake up. She grabs Jezebelle by the shoulders and shakes her, barely moving her. Momma!!

She flops down on top of her dead mother, balling, and making it hard for Reinholdt to find the cause.
    Last edited by Lex-Kat; 2010-09-19 at 08:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

{Gersemi's Isle}

Reinholdt makes no effort to stop her, silently crying himself, the bitter tears finding their way down his cheeks as he quietly goes to put a hand on Estia's back as some attempt at a comfort gesture.

Let's hope Quinn has better success with Lyanna.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

[The Black Decent]

Balin looks around at the various prisoners, pour saps, they should be let free. " We should help these people... anybody have any idea of how to get them out of here safely? "
    "Insert some witty comment here"

-Nexus Characters

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post

[ICB]

Inside a building filled with crystalline technology and painted with such a modernistic decor, the old sea dog in a leather coat feels...somewhat out of place, and in awe at the sheer magnitude of the place around him.

He looks towards Val, as if trying to find something more reassuring, and blinks a few times, before whispering to her.

These...Crystals...what are they for? Are they made of magic?

And yes, before you ask, Magicite is basically made of pure magic, hence him thinking that the crystals are made literally out of nothing but magic.
    [ICB Project HQ]

"I think it's mostly silica, actually. Seren is a bit busy for me to tap his memories and tell you all the details."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

[ICB]

"Er...right. Silica. Of course." Captain Tobias replied, with the sort of grin that a young skipper would have when being asked to answer a question he couldn't, and wishing his captain hadn't heard him talking to his crewmate while trying to get an answer.

"It's um...the principal seems...well...I suppose it could..." ... "I suppose um...yes, made from um...the sycamore tree?"

Yeah, silicone doesn't see much use in a steampunk 1920's era world.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

[ICB]

Derek acquires the same look for a moment, as he searches through their mind for any hint of what a 'sycamore' is, likely finding that one of the spares, being from a mostly mainline earth, has heard of it.
    "Ah, well, trees aren't usually involved, and ... no. Not at all."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

[ICB]

"Oh...uh...well a similar process might um...well...I...really have no idea what Silica is, how it works, or what it does at all." The captain finally admitted, a bit sheepishly, looking down and rubbing his foot against the floor, looking around the room from side to side as if trying to find something he could analyze.

Of course, his monocle could only pick up on sources of magic, so if everything in here was run by pure science, it would prove utterly futile.

"It...it looks very nice..."
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

[ICB]

Now that's something that will get him somewhere. Each and every crystal has a bit of magic to it. They're certainly not made of it, but there are tiny safeguard spells on each of them, and many are tuned to produce certain magic effects, constantly or when activated. Derek himself has a fair bit of magic around him, mostly in the orange amulet he wears.
    "Thank you, Captain."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

[ICB]

~...Ah! I see. Magic storage. That makes sense...~ He thought to himself, and smiled at Derek, offering the man his own hand to shake, large and strong. "A pleasure to meet you."
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

[ICB]

"I felt certain I had already greeted you on the beach, Captain." But Derek shakes the captain's hand anyway.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

[ICB]

"Ah...oh um...right." The captain nodded, either now remembering the nature of Six as Val described it to him, or else realizing in some small way what the nature was that they shared. Either way, now he seems to understand, and likely feels just as awkward about it as Val did.

"So um...you are...more than one person?"
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

[ICB]

Derek shakes his head. "I am exactly one person. I have many bodies. Think of this as a costume, if it helps you."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

[ICB]

"Crystal computers. Silicon, some germanium, perhaps - magic is an ancillary thing," Val explains, a bit belatedly. Then chuckles at Derek's explanation, grinning at Captain Tobias. "Trust me, it took me a little while to get used to it. Between you and me, I still think of them as 'seperate but equal' to some degree." She then sticks her tongue out at Derek, knowing she was overheard.

---

[Gersemi's Isle]

Quinn stands there in shock for a moment, wondering just what happened.
    But, she decides on 'magic triage'.

Healing first.

Resurrections later.

And thus, she hurries over to Happy to check on the wounded girl.

((Posting will be slow for a bit.))

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

[The Black Descent]

Kirana summons her sword of golden light and starts to walk up and down the hall, cutting though the locks on the cells. "Those of you who can resist, help organize the ones who haven't."
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2010-09-19 at 10:46 PM.