New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 84 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3459747576777879808182838485868788899091 LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,520 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #2491
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

A 1219

That depends on the world you are playing on, or more specifically its gravity, air friction and other factors. ;)
    The FAQ has something to say about this on p. 112. It suggests 500 ft. in the first round and 1200 ft. in all subsequent rounds.

I particularly liked the short answer: Far enough to hit the ground.

Q 1220

Can you "wield" an Unarmed Strike in the main hand to use two-weapon fighting?

2. - Top - End - #2492
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1220 Yes.

No hands are actually required for unarmed strikes, and you must wield a second (different) off hand weapon under the two-weapon fighting rules.

3. - Top - End - #2493
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1221

So using two-weapon fighting with your bare hands i.e. Unarmed strike as main and as off-hand weapon is impossible?

4. - Top - End - #2494
    Ogre in the Playground

A 1221
    It's not impossible - there's a Dragon Magazine Barbarian ACF for it, at least - but it is not allowed by default.

(There are other instances - for example, the Kensai PrC's interaction with unarmed strikes - that show the designers themselves may not have written what they thought, and might have intended unarmed strikes to count as multiple weapons.)

5. - Top - End - #2495
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 1222

Does the Totem Shape feature of the Totem Shape Druid from Dragon 335 count as Wild Shape for the sake of prerequisites for feats like Cheetah's Speed?

6. - Top - End - #2496
    Ogre in the Playground

A 1222

No. A Totem Druid lacks the Wild Shape class feature as well as any rules text to allow it to meet requirements for that class feature.

7. - Top - End - #2497
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1223

Suppose you are not an undead creature

a)
    Do you wink out when using the 'One With Shadows' maneuver in an antimagic field?

b)
    If yes, do you also wink out if the antimagic field comes from the spell Antimagic Field? The spell seems to only affect incorporeal undead, instead of any incorporeal creature as said under the effect.

8. - Top - End - #2498
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1224

Are there any cheap (≤25 gp) items that trigger a number of rounds after being activated? Basically, anything I can use as a delay trigger- ideally, something that sparks or bursts into flame a few rounds after activation, but creative use of other items could get similar effects.

9. - Top - End - #2499
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Q 1224

Are there any cheap (≤25 gp) items that trigger a number of rounds after being activated? Basically, anything I can use as a delay trigger- ideally, something that sparks or bursts into flame a few rounds after activation, but creative use of other items could get similar effects.
    I seem to remember an explosive device in, I think it was, secrets of sarlona. Don't recall the cost though, and I doubt a time-bomb is quite what you're looking for, but I can't think of anything else like you've described.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

10. - Top - End - #2500
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

i have few questions about spell levels as the title implies.

Q1225
    it is known that metamagics dont increase the spell lvl. but on the other hand there are some thigns that were not ment to include this.

a) wands with super duper meta's that are =<4th lvl spells.

b) imbue familiar that transfer spell lvls, it was ment to stop at a certain lvl, with meta's this is just broken.

c) primal scholars regain your spell lvls up to PrC lvl. meta'ed spells end up regaining up to 9th spell slots with meta'ed lower lvls.

d) war weavers end up mass healing tons of dmg witha single sanctumed spell, or sanctumed HEAL.

*) add sanctum spell for more sickness..

Have I missed something? an errata? a FAQ? Do i read something inaccurately? Can all these be done RAW?

11. - Top - End - #2501
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1226

Can you apply metamagic to spells used for the creation of wands? will the spells in the wand have those metamagics? If so where is that rule?

Q 1227

Would applying twin spell to one of the summon monster spells work?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-10-30 at 01:14 PM.

12. - Top - End - #2502
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Raendyn View Post
    Q1225
    it is known that metamagics dont increase the spell lvl. but on the other hand there are some thigns that were not ment to include this.

a) wands with super duper meta's that are =<4th lvl spells.
    Magic Items and Metamagic Spells

With the right item creation feat, you can store a metamagic version of a spell in a scroll, potion, or wand. Level limits for potions and wands apply to the spell’s higher spell level (after the application of the metamagic feat). A character doesn’t need the metamagic feat to activate an item storing a metamagic version of a spell.
    I'm not sure exactly what your question is, but this is addressed in the RAW. A metamagic-modified spell is prepared and cast as a higher-level spell, and the level after adjustment with metamagic is what's used in determining if you can make such an item, and what the cost would be if it is possible.

13. - Top - End - #2503
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1228: If some one is turned into a shadow because the 1d4 rounds expired after they died by the hand of a shadow, how do you turn that person back? Or can you?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

14. - Top - End - #2504
    Ogre in the Playground

A 1128

You must destroy the shadow and then use the Ressurection or True Ressurection spell on the destroyed remains of the shadow.

15. - Top - End - #2505
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaEmil View Post
    A 1128

You must destroy the shadow and then use the Ressurection or True Ressurection spell on the destroyed remains of the shadow.
    Actually, there's a contradiction in the RAW on this one.

Res and True Res unambiguously can return a character turned into a shadow to life. Whether you have to destroy the shadow or not first is up in the air.

The spell descriptions say they can return a destroyed undead to life, but the MM glossary entry for undead says that the spell can res them with no mention of destroying them first. Ask your DM which one he's going to go with.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

16. - Top - End - #2506
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q1229

Does a creature with monk levels and an independant natural attack (say a bite) 1) replace his natural attack damage with his unarmed strike damage, and 2) still only gain 1/2 str mod damage on his secondary natural attack?
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

17. - Top - End - #2507
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 1229

A Monk's unarmed strike has no interaction with natural attacks whatsoever.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

18. - Top - End - #2508
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    A 1229

A Monk's unarmed strike has no interaction with other natural attacks whatsoever.
    Small correction added.

19. - Top - End - #2509

BardGuy

Q 1230
    The Unearthed Arcana's battle sorcerer variant gives the class proficiency with one light or one-handed martial weapon of his choice.
    Heavy shields are listed on the PHB's weapon table as a one-handed martial weapon.
    Can I use the class's martial weapon proficiency choice to give myself proficiency with shields instead?

20. - Top - End - #2510
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1230 No.

Proficiency with shields (for offense) has nothing to do with proficiency with shields (for defense), except perhaps for using the same item to exercise those two capabilities. In D&D these are separate proficiencies.

21. - Top - End - #2511
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Q1231

Can one simply dual wield shields? It would be a cool way to charge into battle, and just shield bash everyone, with a high armor class at relatively low levels.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lords of Creation Character color key:
    Cereim: Fire Brick

22. - Top - End - #2512
    Ogre in the Playground

A1231: Yes.

Please note that when you use a shield to bash, you lose its AC bonus until your next action. Also, using two shields to attack mean that you are two weapon fighting, with all the penalties and benefits.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

23. - Top - End - #2513
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    A1231: Yes.

Please note that when you use a shield to bash, you lose its AC bonus until your next action. Also, using two shields to attack mean that you are two weapon fighting, with all the penalties and benefits.
    Also note that the AC bonuses from the two shields do not stack. You would not have any better AC than with one shield.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

24. - Top - End - #2514
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 1232

Does gravetouched ghoul template increase all your HD to d12 (class and race)?
    Is it retroactive (if I get it say at 9th level and I'm a wizard, my 9d4 suddenly become 9d12)?

25. - Top - End - #2515

BardGuy

Q 1233

Can you move up to twice your "speed" in a surprise round if you can run, that is, move in an unobstructed straight line, and you don't do anything else during your turn?

It is never clearly stated in the RAW that you can do this, but it is never explicitly forbidden, either. The run action is a full-round action, but so is a charge action. The RAW explicitly allow you to charge during a surprise round, as a standard action, if you move no more than your "speed" and in an unobstructed straight line. So why shouldn't you be allowed simply to run flat-out during a surprise round and travel up to twice your "speed" if you do nothing else (and you move in an unobstructed straight line)?

Note: I put the word "speed" in quotation marks here because it actually refers to distance. (I know, this respect for real-world physics is out of place in a fantasy role-playing game, but I can't lose my love of precision, even in fantasy.)

Q 1234

When you take the overrun action, can you move at the velocity of a run (two "speeds" per move) or are you limited to the velocity of a hustle (one "speed" per move)?

I am intrigued (and perhaps confused) by the presence of the word "run" in "overrun." Does this mean that in a normal full combat round, you can move up to twice your "speed" in addition to attacking during your turn (as you do when you charge), or are you limited to a "hustle," that is, allowed to move no more than one "speed" in addition to attacking? Or can you move at either velocity, as circumstances allow (because of course you can't run unless you can move in an unobstructed straight line)?
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2012-11-01 at 11:38 AM.

26. - Top - End - #2516
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Also note that the AC bonuses from the two shields do not stack. You would not have any better AC than with one shield.
    You could however bash with one shield while using the other as a shield. It's not an awful idea, but do note that a shield bash is an extremely weak attack (compare the damage of even a heavy shield to that of a club). Also note that if you buy an enchantment bonus to the shield's AC, this does not add an enhancement bonus to the shield's bash attacks; a +1 shield that bashes as a +1 weapon would have to be made a masterwork armor for 150 gp, a masterwork weapon for 300 gp, a +1 armor for 1000 gp, and a +1 weapon for +2000 gp, for a total cost of 3450 gp plus the base cost of the shield.
    (If you really like this concept, I suggest you try to talk your DM into a more favorable houserule, because the RAW just really doesn't want you to bash with shields to any degree of success.)

Q1235
    The wording of the Lifebond Vestments soulmeld's Heart chakra bind consists entirely of the words "You can bestow healing at will upon any given creature". I'm not at all sure what this is supposed to mean; it might be an upgrade of the earlier chakra bind which lets you heal from 30 feet away, meaning that you can heal anyone within line-of-effect regardless of distance, but this seems unlikely. The other interpretation I can see making sense is that this chakra bind removes the usual limitation "You may not use this ability on any creature more than once per hour". My question assumes this is the correct meaning.

Based on that interpretation of the ability, is there any reason why two Incarnates with Lifebond Vestments bound to their heart chakras could not stand around all day healing each other of a virtually limitless amount of damage? Each one takes a standard action, heals something like 30 damage to the other while dealing 15 to himself, then the other heals him for 15 while taking 8, the first heals 4 while taking 2, the second heals 2 while taking 1, and then they go out and get beat up some more before again taking a few dozen standard actions to heal each other completely. Even if they're at 2 HP each, they could alternate healing one another for 2 HP while taking 1 themselves until they were healed enough to perform larger "trades".

Other than my having jumped to the wrong conclusion about what that chakra bind is supposed to do, is there any reason why this semi-infinite healing loop does not work?
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-11-01 at 11:56 AM.

27. - Top - End - #2517
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1232 Yes.

The increase is to the creature's existing hit dice. Do note that in the case of a Wizard or other spellcaster, there is no guarantee that the creature would be capable of spellcasting after becoming a gravetouched ghoul. That is, the template specifies what base creature qualities the afflicted creature retains, and spellcasting is not on the list. The creature retains Special Attacks and Special Qualities. However, in the Wizard class table the Special qualities is the column including "Summon familiar, Scribe Scroll". "Spells per Day" is in a separate column, so it's not a special quality. You would thus need to convince your DM that your Wizard spellcasting can be classified under "Special Attacks" in order to retain it. While this follows the pattern used in the Monster Manual for existing monsters, there is no Glossary entry defining exactly when a class ability would be considered a "Special Attack". So ask your DM.

28. - Top - End - #2518
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 1233

The ability to make a shorter charge during a surprise round is a special exception to the rules and has no bearing on your ability to run during a surprise round. In other words, you can't.

A 1234

While running is a form of movement, you cannot run (a full-round action) and overrun (a standard action) in the same round unless you have the means to take an extra standard action. The normal assumption is that you take a normal movement action and take your overrun at some point during it.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

29. - Top - End - #2519
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1233

It is clearly forbidden. During the surprise "round" you get a Standard Action and Free Actions. Running is a Full Round Action. Ergo it cannot be used if all you get is a Standard Action.

BTW Charge cannot be used as a Standard Action. It can still be used if you are only allowed to take a Standard Action or a Move Action. In this case you are only allowed to move your Speed. The rules do not change the required Action to a Standard Action, Charge still is a Full Round Action, but you are allowed to use it under the aforementioned conditions. A fine distinction but an important one.

30. - Top - End - #2520
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

A1235
    I'm fairly certain it means that you are not limited to the 1x/hour rule that you would normally be limited to, and can simply heal at will as long as you are within touch range of the creature. So, yes... you could just infinite loop heal from near death to max health.

Q1236
    Isn't there a rule somewhere about skill training (gaining skills without levelling up)? I'm pretty sure it was something to do with spending a week with someone trained in the skill you're trying to learn, and you gain +1 skill points or something like that. It could've been a house rule a DM used when I was learning the game and never questioned it. But if the rule exists, does anyone know the source for the rule?
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development