New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Neutrals

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

smile The Neutrals: If it's popcicle it's possible!

FAQ:
    Spoiler
    Show

Q: Who are you?
    A: Belkar=awsome.

Q: What drawing program do you use?
    A: Inkscape.

Q: Are you stalking the_Q?
    A: No, I just love his comics.

Q: What is your MitD?
    A: More of a pitd, really, a Person in the Dark. For plot purposes, I can't tell you what he looks like, but I CAN tell you he's an elf.

Q: Why does this comic suck?
    A: If you think it sucks, stop reading it.

Q: What's the difference between the different evil characters?
    A: Well, obviously, you'll notice that the Pitd is a bit smarter than the rest, and obsessed with a blue haired elf for some reasons.
    Red: Sam has no arms, and is the only boy in the group (unless the pitd is a boy, which I cannot vouch for nor deny at this point, though I know the answer.) He is the most idiotic, which is saying something. He's a bard, and uses psychic powers to play his electric guitar.

Orange: Sarah is a blunt, unlikable Elven Cleric, who goes beyond evil into the realms of intensly ANNOYING. She hates Sandy for reasons known only to herself.

Yellow: Sandy is the least likable person on the team by a large margin, which is saying something. She is a human wizard, and severly hated by an insanely large number of people, on and off her team, dead and alive, and regardless of some of them being fictional.

Green: We haven't met Sal yet, but she can be seen in the banner. She is a human archer, and a pretty darn good one at that. The most likable person on team evil and the neutrals' biggest threat, we'll be seeing her in the future.

Blue: Although she hasn't appeared in a strip yet since she joined team evil, she is in one of the old strips...if you look closely. Look in the banner for what to look for.

The Comic
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Comic #009: Please don't read this, god only knows I didn't want to write it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Comic #010: The comic everyone's so worked up about.
    Spoiler
    Show

Comic #011: As Elan would say: "Dun Dun Duuuuuuun!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Comic #012: And here we see Samantha smile for the first time.
    Spoiler
    Show

Comic #013: It's certainly unlucky for the belhop.
    Spoiler
    Show

Comic #014: Deep Questions
    Spoiler
    Show

Comic #015: Let's just hope he doesn't try to hold her hand...
    Spoiler
    Show

Comic #016: A very appropriate song choice
    Spoiler
    Show

Comic #17: Just to remind you that somebody is telling the story
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

The Banners
    Spoiler
    Show

[IMG]http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/7564/banner2vnm.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4292/banner1rxm.png[/IMG]

The Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Team Evil
    Spoiler
    Show

The Person in the Dark (Pitd)
    Spoiler
    Show

Not much is known about the Pitd. It's gender and alignment are mysteries, although Sarah has nicknamed it 'Devin' for easier conversations. It is smart, and obsessed with Em for reasons currently unknown. More will come to light about this creature later, but for now I'll just tell you this: it's an elf.

Sam: Human Bard
    Spoiler
    Show

Although early misfortunes in life (like say, not being able to outrun an angry mob after you kill all the babies in your local daycare, and not being able to outrun a different angry mob when you kill all the children in your local orphanage) have left him without arms or (*AHEM*), he still manages to play music. He is on team evil, helping the pitd obtain a ring of immense power. He is the least intelligent of the group.

Sarah: Elven Cleric
    Spoiler
    Show

Not content with being evil, Sarah is also the epitome of everything rude, obnoxious, and downright godsd*** ANNOYING. She is hated by everyone in her team, not in her team, and even some people who have never actually met her, but Team Evil puts up with her anyway. She hates Sandy for reasons known only to herself.

Sandy: Human Wizard
    Spoiler
    Show

Smug and overconfident, Sandy is utterly unlikable. A lot of people would very dearly like to knock her down a peg, including Sarah, her parents, several world leaders, the ghost of Elbert Ainstein, her little brother, and, interestingly enough, Manzel. Keep in mind that they each respectively have very good reasons to hate her.

Sal: Human Archer
    Spoiler
    Show

The most likeable person in team evil (which isn't saying much) is Sal. She is an efficient killing machine when given a bow and some arrows, and one of the biggest threats to the Neutrals' goal. Sam likes her, mostly because she's the only one who desn't know why he doesn't have any arms.

Sandy: Ice-Elven Sorceress
    Spoiler
    Show

She doesn't really belong in team evil, being chaotic neutral, but she owed Pitd a favor, and didn't know about (and so didn't get the chance to join) team neutral. She likes (as in LIKES likes) Manzel. Everyone pretty much ignores her until she's needed, but she can be useful. When she tries. Very hard.

The Neutrals
    Spoiler
    Show

Samantha: 1/2 Kobald 1/2 Halfling Wizard
    Spoiler
    Show

Samantha was born to a Kobald mother and a Halfling father. She is the leader, and a very good one at that; brilliant, charismatic, and straightforward. She can be touchy about her creature type, and when ticked off, can be bitingly harsh. She is determinatly true neutral.

Lauren: Human Cleric
    Spoiler
    Show

Lauren is dertermined and confident (read: cocky) but can also seem desperate at times. She is the "Durkon" of the neutrals, a bland and uninteresting person. She was born to a lawful good father and a chaotic evil mother, and hated being forced to choose.She is Chaotic Neutral.

Em: Elven Bard
    Spoiler
    Show

Em can't remember her past up until a year ago, when she woke up in an empty tavern in a villiage called Klaad. She joined the group hoping to find clues. She is moderatly intelligent, with occational flashes of brilliance. She has recurring nightmares about her old life every once in a while, but they've been getting much worse and more frequent since she joined the neutrals. She is very loyal towards Samantha. She is True Neutral.

Denvar: Rouge Dwarf
    Spoiler
    Show

Rasied by humans, Denvar is a very unique dwarf. He doesn't have an accent, and has managed to get himself banned from almost every other group you can think of. Snappy, cheeky, and rude, you may be suprised to learn that he's Lawful Good.

Manzel: Whight Fighter
    Spoiler
    Show

Manzel is the son of two whights, and just assumes that he is a whight as well. He acts more human, however, and is Lawful Neutral instead of the usual evil alignment. He mostly just stays in the back, but he is an excellent warrior. He is often described as "the quiet type". He is pessimistic, but very smart. He owes Samantha his life.

Guest comic by MethosHazara
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by EmeraldPhoenix; 2009-09-01 at 01:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Neutrals

It isn't easy to give feedback about your comic yet, but from what I've heard, Inkscape works well, and it's free.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: The Neutrals

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    It isn't easy to give feedback about your comic yet, but from what I've heard, Inkscape works well, and it's free.
    It certainly is good, my avatar was made in it.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

As was mine...
    And MS paint is seriously Inferior unless your like.... Jesus or something...
    I'm technically but I refuse to admit it!
    Dawn of Yesterday (Resuming now!)
    Currently Developing the "PASSIVE™" RPG system
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    +1 to Fay being awesome, causing nosebleeds and etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    If Fay Graydon is visible to a male target, she deals d6 Nosebleed Damage per turn.
    I'm an Artist!, If you want an Avatar just PM me your specifics - Avatar by Me!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fayte Graydon View Post
    As was mine...
    And MS paint is seriously Inferior unless your like.... Jesus or something...
    Inferior is the wrong word. Harder to use is likely, but great art can come from paint, often greater than what can be done with inkscape. The skill cap with paint is just far higher, thats all.
    Thank Saturn for this avatar!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

It's also good for sprite work.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by onasuma View Post
    Inferior is the wrong word. Harder to use is likely, but great art can come from paint, often greater than what can be done with inkscape. The skill cap with paint is just far higher, thats all.
    The thing here is that MS Paint is a raster program, while Inkscape is a vector one. Without context, neither is better or worse than the other.

But in the domain of stick figure comics, Inkscape is obviously the better one, since you don't have to resize your strip, you can easily have movable templates, you can make layers, etc.

However, if you compare MS Paint to another raster art program, it's almost always inferior. Compare the options in Paint to those in Photoshop, for example.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Last edited by Nameless; 2009-06-30 at 10:04 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    This is from the same guy who painted Elvis on velvet with cheetos.

Are you saying that painting with cheetos is better than traditional painting ?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    This is from the same guy who painted Elvis on velvet with cheetos.

Are you saying that painting with cheetos is better than traditional painting ?
    Em.... Is it possible to argue that painting with cheetos isnt the best way to paint, ever?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Em.... Is it possible to argue that painting with cheetos isnt the best way to paint, ever?
    It is for that guy :smalltongue´:
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

12. - Top - End - #12

SamuraiGirl

Please get Inkscape ,, it's free... in the name of all scared retinas everywhere don't use MSpaint...

There are extensive tutorials in inkscape's page [ even make a character for oots.]

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Oh, Jesus. I don't think I can compete with that guy.

Ok, listen. I'll switch if I ever have the time, but I already have and know how to use MS Paint, so I think I'll stick with that for the time being.

14. - Top - End - #14

....aaaaand I've got them uploaded!

Ok, mostly. But I'll work it out later. Meanwhile, enjoy my first 9 comics!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Not too bad so far, I'll definitely be checking in sometime in the future. The art could use some work, though. It's fine by Paint standards, not counting the Mona Lisa, but I stand by my opinion that Inkscape will make the comic look a lot nicer. And you should really consider linking to the comics instead of showing them on this page. Once you get to a high number of comics, it takes a long time to load the page, which really just makes it harder for people to get into your comic. But good luck, and I hope to see your work continue!

16. - Top - End - #16

SamuraiGirl

My eyes burn ... dialogue is funny but pleaseeeee ... try inkscape... you'll learn how to use it in 2 hours max... it's for the best.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Not to be rude, but I do advise getting inkscape as well. It is free and can greatly improve the look of your work when you get used to it. However, ignore Hacktor, your art is pretty good for a first timer, better than my first few. If you want to use paint, you're gonna need some practise, if not try inkscape or if neither, just carry on as you are. It isnt that bad.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Belkar=awsome View Post
    Q: Why does this comic suck?
    A: If you think it sucks, stop reading it.
    Learning a new drawing program will take time. Let me off the hook for now, please. If I find the time to learn how to download and use Inkscape, I will, but as it is I'm a bit busy. Maybe in the future. Sorry.

Not to be rude, but I do advise getting inkscape as well. It is free and can greatly improve the look of your work when you get used to it. However, ignore Hacktor, your art is pretty good for a first timer, better than my first few. If you want to use paint, you're gonna need some practise, if not try inkscape or if neither, just carry on as you are. It isnt that bad.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by EmeraldPhoenix; 2009-07-01 at 11:39 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

I've got all my comics uploaded! Yay!

Comments?
    Questions?
    Critiques?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Bah, the neutrals. I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies you know where they stand but with neutrals? Who knows! It sickens me.

What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality? Once the neutral war machine lies in ruins, I will be a hero again.

Just had to get that out of my system.

It is an interesting idea. However, it sometimes gets difficult to tell people apart, especially the women. You did a good job of differentiating your main characters, but I got kinda confused when I started seeing the villains.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I think....
    That you should seriously consider AGAINST using the obvious rip off characters from Oots...
    Unless you ask The Giant himself whether he minds...
    It's one thing to make references and jokes... but another to use rip off characters...
    Other than that I love the Idea of the comic!
    My favorite character is the Halfling in the Neutrals!
    I'm technically but I refuse to admit it!
    Dawn of Yesterday (Resuming now!)
    Currently Developing the "PASSIVE™" RPG system
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    +1 to Fay being awesome, causing nosebleeds and etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    If Fay Graydon is visible to a male target, she deals d6 Nosebleed Damage per turn.
    I'm an Artist!, If you want an Avatar just PM me your specifics - Avatar by Me!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fayte Graydon View Post
    That you should seriously consider AGAINST using the obvious rip off characters from Oots...
    I don't think there is anything wrong with using obvious rip-offs. Otherwise, wouldn't Spaceballs be sued by George Lucas?

Anyway, a great comic so far. Thumbs up!

The only thing I would worry about is that the goblin in comic 12 seems verrrrry similar to a goblin from one from Order of the Stick. I'm pretty sure that reusing the Giant's artwork is against the rules. If it is reused, you may want to redraw that comic with your own art for the goblin.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2009-07-01 at 01:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    I don't think there is anything wrong with using obvious rip-offs. Otherwise, wouldn't Spaceballs be sued by George Lucas?
    Parodies are protected covered in the US under Fair Use, so Mel Brooks is safe. A cameo appearance (defined as a single strip appearance done for humour or contrast) is considered parody and is acceptable, however the names and likenesses of the OotS characters are copyrighted, and cannot be used otherwise without specific permission.

Legal issues aside, reusing characters generally indicates a lack of creativity on the part of the comic creator, and should be avoided in any case.
    Last edited by Keris; 2009-07-01 at 01:48 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    Parodies are protected covered in the US under Fair Use, so Mel Brooks is safe. A cameo appearance (defined as a single strip appearance done for humour or contrast) is considered parody and is acceptable, however the names and likenesses of the OotS characters are copyrighted, and cannot be used otherwise without specific permission.

Legal issues aside, reusing characters generally indicates a lack of creativity on the part of the comic creator, and should be avoided in any case.
    They could be just parodies, though. These OOTS thinly-disguised rip-offs don't have exactly the same names. And it doesn't seem like they are exactly the main focus of the comic, either. And, although the opposite seems more likely from what we've seen of them, they could have completely unique personalities while still being a parady of the original OOTS. Only time will tell, I guess. I highly doubt there could be anything legal about it yet, though.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2009-07-01 at 01:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

They could be just parodies, though.
    Sure. They could be, at which point it would be fine. I never said that these characters would definitely be ground for legal action, but they don't seem either original characters or deliberate parodies so far. Possibly because it's difficult to parody a parody.
    These OOTS thinly-disguised rip-offs don't have exactly the same names.
    They have almost exactly the same names, almost exactly the same appearances, and almost exactly the same roles. From what we've seen of the their personalities, it seems that Belker and Vaarsuvius have undergone a simple switch.
    And it doesn't seem like they are exactly the main focus of the comic, either.
    In Comic #8, Sam says "why are you hiding in the shadows? You don't want to get sued by Rich Burle-". This is a parodying cameo, it only appears for one comic and the reference hasn't been mentioned again. As Rich hasn't trademarked his own name (as far as I'm aware), it's fine.
    However, in Comic #10 "The Good Guys" are introduced. The set up implies that they will be recurring characters, as they are the opponents/competitors to what appear to be the principle villains. 'Velkar' then emphasises how similar his personality is to Belkar's in that comic, with his cry of "I. AM. THE. SEXY. SHOELESS. GOD. OF. FXCKING. WAR!". Baarsuvious then acknowledges the similarity, stating that he will have to "prepare 'deflect lawsuit'". Additionally, Elon's line in the final panel is of the same structure as Elan's signature songs. While there may not be any strong legal grounds yet, it's skating on thin ice.

As an additional note to Belkar=awesome, profanity is not permitted in Fan Comics. While you have 'disguised' it by substituting X, we are asked to use the forum filter as a guideline, and substituting another letter probably come under "Circumventing the Board filters", which is a minor infraction.

Belkar=awesome, I suggest you rewrite "The Good Guys" into original characters, and cut down on the profanity. This comic shows potential, you don't want to ruin it.

26. - Top - End - #26

Oh, my. It seems I have some explaining to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    Sure. They could be, at which point it would be fine. I never said that these characters would definitely be ground for legal action, but they don't seem either original characters or deliberate parodies so far.
    They have almost exactly the same names, almost exactly the same appearances, and almost exactly the same roles. From what we've seen of the their personalities, it seems that Belker and Vaarsuvius have undergone a simple switch.
    Yes, they are paradies (mostly.) I will take each seperately, and tell you why I don't think I should be sued:
    Buttercup and Wesley: They have nothing to do with the order of the stick, although the creater of "The Princess Bride" might get ticked off. I only took the names, and the fact that they are in love, the personalities are completely different and I was feeling uncreative when I had to come up with their names. I may or may not later make "Princess Bride" jokes, but only in the context of them being the only characters to have never seen the movie.
    Drunkon: A play on the prejudice that all Dwarves are supposedly beer-loving drunks and also clerics. Has not made an apperance yet, but I thought the combination had a potential for hilarity.
    Velkar and Baarsuvius: Okay, yes, I took a little from Rich, but it was purely parody. The "Good Guys" will not show up very often, and mostly just for comic relief.
    Elon: All bards act like this and I was tired as heck when I had to name him. Don't judge me.

However, in Comic #10 "The Good Guys" are introduced. The set up implies that they will be recurring characters, as they are the opponents/competitors to what appear to be the principle villains. 'Velkar' then emphasises how similar his personality is to Belkar's in that comic, with his cry of "I. AM. THE. SEXY. SHOELESS. GOD. OF. FXCKING. WAR!". Baarsuvious then acknowledges the similarity, stating that he will have to "prepare 'deflect lawsuit'". Additionally, Elon's line in the final panel is of the same structure as Elan's signature songs. While there may not be any strong legal grounds yet, it's skating on thin ice.
    Again, they won't be around much, and not for a while. A lot of things will happen between now and when their existance is relevent agian. And really, what was I supposed to make him sing? Elan is the only basis for bard songs I have to work with here.

As an additional note to Belkar=awesome, profanity is not permitted in Fan Comics. While you have 'disguised' it by substituting X, we are asked to use the forum filter as a guideline, and substituting another letter probably come under "Circumventing the Board filters", which is a minor infraction.
    Ok, good to know, I'll keep that in mind.

Belkar=awesome, I suggest you rewrite "The Good Guys" into original characters, and cut down on the profanity. This comic shows potential, you don't want to ruin it.
    Thank you for the compliment, and the advice, but I think I'm going to have to go with a compromise solution here: I'll keep my characters, and their personalities (for the most part), but make sure they don't stray too far into Rich's domain, and make sure they're unique enough to be remembered as my creation, not a play on someone elses (except, of course, deliberate parody, in which case I'll put a sidenote claiming parody.)

Happy?

PS: If someone could give me advice on what words are and are not allowed by forum standards, it would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by EmeraldPhoenix; 2009-07-01 at 03:21 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Belkar=awesome, I agree with Keris Rain's point about profanity. It is against official rules, so you should probably fix that.

But other then that, don't listen to him. I'm sure that these characters are fine as long as it's lampshaded and used in moderation. Don't take him too seriously. He has been repetitively asked to chill out.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2009-07-01 at 03:19 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you for the compliment, and the advice, but I think I'm going to have to go with a compromise solution here: I'll keep my characters, and their personalities (for the most part), but make sure they don't stray too far into Rich's domain, and make sure they're unique enough to be remembered as my creation, not a play on someone elses (except, of course, deliberate parody, in which case I'll put a sidenote claiming parody.)
    I think this should work. As long as they're distinct enough to be easily identified as a separate character, you should be fine.

Happy?
    Not yet, but the computer tells me that I will have cake later, so I expect I shall be. Obvious joke is obvious. Tautologies are tautological.
    PS: If someone could give me advice on what words are and are not allowed by forum standards, it would be much appreciated.
    You can always put any text your unsure of into the New Reply window, and hit "Preview Post" but not "Submit Reply". That way anything that would be filtered will be, and you'll know for sure. I'd hesitate to try and come up with a list of filtered words, for obvious reasons.

But other then that, don't listen to him. I'm sure that these characters are fine as long as it's lampshaded and used in moderation. Don't take him too seriously. He has been repetitively asked to chill out.
    O U

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I was glad to see that you posted them here because I was sad when I saw that the site had been taken down.

Keep on doing what you do!

30. - Top - End - #30

New comic!

Comic #013: It's certainly unlucky for the belhop.
    Spoiler
    Show

Like/Dislike?
    Comments, please!

PS: I've fixed the profanity problem.
    Last edited by EmeraldPhoenix; 2009-07-02 at 03:20 PM.