New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Why the gnome hate?

I'm just curious. Why it seems that there are many people who dislike them (consider them annoying, ect)? I've read it has something to do with kender (and I even don't what kender is except that they are from Dragonlance)
    Last edited by Salbazier; 2010-06-30 at 01:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharkash View Post
    Let us be enlightened by the wisdom of urban dictionary:
    2. opinion
    immunity to being told your wrong

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Why the gnome hate?

Kenders = short, annoying, kleptomaniacs.
    trill in da playground

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I like gnomes. They aren't one of the best races, but they are pretty strong and versatile with the +2 Con. They also have some awesome choises, especially the amazing Shadowcraft Mage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Kender aren't gnomes, they are closer to halflings.

I love the gnomes too, especially casters.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't mind gnomes now as they are in 4E, where they were made into Fey to differentiate them from dwarves. But before, they were basically "dwarves lite," except that they were more adept at magic, drank a bit less and were more greedy.

Kender are a whole other ball of wax. Kender are thieving little magpies whose habit of "borrowing" other peoples' stuff is justified because their great curiousity. It's not that kender's fault he took your magic ring — he's just being curious!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGirl

Whisper Gnomes are one of the best non LA races for 3.5, and a Gnome is used for the Infinite Shadow Dragons build. Svinfeblin (Deep Gnomes) are a decent LA race which get SR and some other nice abilities.

I think I like them. The only one I don't like is Jan Jansen and his turnip jokes

7. - Top - End - #7
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Jealousy .
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #8

Chimera

Well, I know most people don't hate gnome (especially those who love to play illusionist) it just that some post I read lately seems to indicatet that there's common dislike of gnomes among some people. Maybe I use too strong title
    2. opinion

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Nose envy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Whisper Gnomes are one of the best non LA races for 3.5, and a Gnome is used for the Infinite Shadow Dragons build. Svinfeblin (Deep Gnomes) are a decent LA race which get SR and some other nice abilities.

I think I like them. The only one I don't like is Jan Jansen and his turnip jokes
    "You know, this reminds me of that time, waaaaay back..."

I quite like gnomes. At least, I don't dislike them. However I do prefer kobolds.
    Last edited by Myshlaevsky; 2010-06-30 at 02:22 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Gnomes don't really have a distinct racial identity. They're a middle ground between two or three PHB races, and there's not really any existing material to draw from in terms of figuring out how to act (or to use as a starting point for your own character's personality).

They're just pretty bland.

12. - Top - End - #12

DwarfFighterGuy

Personally, my hatred of gnomes comes exclusively from WoW. Gnomes and Night Elves in that game have a HUGELY disproportionate amount of @$$hole players among their ranks. So even though WoW gnomes and D&D gnomes really don't have much to do with each other, I now hate them simply because they share the same name
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

13. - Top - End - #13

Personally, I'm fond of them. Their dual nature of magic-lovers and alchemists/scientists/engineers makes them versatile (fluffwise); mechanically, they have nice features, with those nifty spell-like abilities, plus they're Small and this is often good.

One of my favourite PCs was a Gnome Illusionist who pissed off all of his comrades with cruel pranks: once I rolled a natural 20 on the Alchemy check (3rd Edition) to craft a "Potion of diarrhea" and managed to pour it on the rations of the ranger of the group. He passed the following 3 days in the wild as "Nature made a particularly urgent call"!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

well, i always figured that people didnt like them because they are the only race in the PHB that didnt show up in the LOTR movies (i know many a people who only watched the movies cuz the books are "too outdated" in language)
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Gnomes are the hobos of fantasy. OK joking aside I think "most" gamers dislike gnomes because they are always played the same way. Now I know what I just wrote will spew forth several dozen posts about wait I played my gnome like this or like this, I don't care. 99% of the time any given gnome in an RPG is role played in one of the same half dozen ways, it's just been done to death. It's like the character who becomes a hero do to his/her/its beloved peasant village being destroyed, let it go, move on, find another shtick.
    "When the DM has the Beholder use all its eye rays for one turn on the Elf Wizard, he IS going to kill him."

16. - Top - End - #16

Chimera

BTW, anybody knows why they made gnome race anyway? All other race are classics.
    Last edited by Salbazier; 2010-06-30 at 03:14 PM.
    2. opinion

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Dunno. I hate them because they're gnomes. Being a DnDish gnome, or even having the name gnome (like the guys with pointy red hats) is grounds enough to be loathed, despised, hated, ridiculed and exterminated far as I care.

I stand by my right to hate and refuse to stoop to meaningless rationalizations,
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    a Gnome Illusionist who pissed off all of his comrades with cruel pranks: once I rolled a natural 20 on the Alchemy check (3rd Edition) to craft a "Potion of diarrhea" and managed to pour it on the rations of the ranger of the group. He passed the following 3 days in the wild as "Nature made a particularly urgent call"!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragosai View Post
    I think "most" gamers dislike gnomes because they are always played the same way.
    ...even when they could be considered valid.
    Last edited by Pronounceable; 2010-06-30 at 03:17 PM. Reason: ninjas
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I like the Pathfinder gnome fluff a lot, what with their connection to all things fae.
    I also want to play a gnome in greasepaint, three fingered white gloves and wielding a large wooden mallet.
    Th-Th-Th-Th-Th-... That's all, folks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

This.

This is why I hate gnomes.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

A friend of mine printed out what looked like a common saying "Friends don't let friends play gnomes." I don't know where it got it and I haven't heard it elsewhere, so I assume it never became a popular meme, but I've also heard of this dislike of gnomes.

I don't get it. -2 Str, +2 Con is a good deal, and some SLAs are nice even if they're not often useful. Sure, dwarves have +2 to saves against magic, but gnomes still seem a decent spellcasting race.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    Gnomes don't really have a distinct racial identity. They're a middle ground between two or three PHB races, and there's not really any existing material to draw from in terms of figuring out how to act (or to use as a starting point for your own character's personality).

They're just pretty bland.
    And when they do have a distinct identity, it's usually a goofy, one-note prankster or mad scientist one, which tends to get grating.

As usual when this topic comes up, though, I'll say that Eberron gnomes are pretty cool.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

The reason the gnome haters I know said they hate gnomes is basically because they aren't in one of the primary D&D source books, Lord of the Rings. It had half orcs in the form of Uruk-Hai, or possibly others, halflings are basically hobbits, or at least the sneaky, stealthy parts, elves and dwarves are obvious.
    But no gnomes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

23. - Top - End - #23

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Teron View Post
    And when they do have a distinct identity, it's usually a goofy, one-note prankster or mad scientist one, which tends to get grating.

As usual when this topic comes up, though, I'll say that Eberron gnomes are pretty cool.
    Everything in Eberron is made of cool and win (yes, this is hyperbole)
    Last edited by Salbazier; 2010-06-30 at 03:45 PM.
    2. opinion

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Go read about Kurtulmak's ascension in the Races of the Dragon. Garl Glittergold and his no good trope of lazy ass bastards who think that "I just made a joke by commiting genocide over your whole race LOL" is ok and good.

Kobolds are considered evil but Gnomes are ok ?!? WHAT THE **** IS THAT PILE OF FETID HERESY ?!?

Eberron gnomes and whisper gnomes are ok though.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

The thing is gnomes are somewhere between halflings and dwarfs.
    Of course halflings and dwarfs are hated, too, but gnomes...
    They're just too big to be considered cute (halflings) anymore and not strong enough to defend themselves (dwarfs).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Alright, yes I have a strong dislike for gnomes. It all stems from 2nd edition, when they were mostly illusionists. Every time I played an elf, the DM would have some irritating gnome play pranks on my uptight and self-righteous character.

I generally plotted on ways to wipe gnomes from existence. It safe to say that I never got the chance. And even though my animosity towards the little buggers has lessened, I still reserve some contempt for the little ones.

With that said, I have seen some really great gnome characters played. I just can't seem to wrap my brain around actually playing one.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    The reason the gnome haters I know said they hate gnomes is basically because they aren't in one of the primary D&D source books, Lord of the Rings. It had half orcs in the form of Uruk-Hai, or possibly others, halflings are basically hobbits, or at least the sneaky, stealthy parts, elves and dwarves are obvious.
    But no gnomes.
    Read "Three Hearts and Three Lions" by Poul Anderson. Hugi is called a dwarf, but he's much closer to the conception of a gnome.

Early on, the gnomes did suffer somewhat from a lack of identity, but I think they'd found a pretty good one by the end of 2e (especially as Dragonlance faded from prominence as a game world). They were pranksters, yes, but also nature-loving, curious, and social, with the added dimension of not having goddesses and not being quite sure why (in fact, it was something their deities refused to talk about). 3e shoved them harder towards the fey, somewhat blurred the lines between forest and rock gnomes, and diluted a lot of what made them interesting the first place.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bayar View Post
    Go read about Kurtulmak's ascension in the Races of the Dragon. Garl Glittergold and his no good trope of lazy ass bastards who think that "I just made a joke by commiting genocide over your whole race LOL" is ok and good.

Kobolds are considered evil but Gnomes are ok ?!? WHAT THE **** IS THAT PILE OF FETID HERESY ?!?
    Agreed.

Kobolds are totally justified in pursuit of that particular genocide.

Also, they mindwipe criminals, if I remember right, which is messed up.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bayar View Post

By your logic Drow should be good and surface Elves evil because Loith's story of her fall differs from the one Corellon tells. Why do you believe the Kobold's version of the tale? If someone burned down an orphanage and told you "Those orphans attacked me" would you believe him? No you wouldn't so why trust the tale told from the point of view from the Kobolds?

There are a few other versions of that tale, in one Kurtulmak intended to play a great joke. He invited all other racial deities for a great feast where he would tell them a tale, at the end he would pull out a ornate stone trigger and bury the assembled deities alive.

Garl came upon the cavern and pulled out the stone burying the kobold in his own trap. Either to see if it actually work or simply to laugh in Kurtulmak's face.

So which tale is more likely the one told my gnomes or the one told my kobolds. Based only on the races typical reputation and alignment.

Another version of the tale has Garl collapsing the cave while Kurtulmak was hosting Asemodeus. The archdevil was not pleased.

Really why believe the legend told by an evil race?
    Last edited by Lord Vukodlak; 2010-06-30 at 04:30 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

gnomes are always somewhat of a joke in my campaigns. yets I couldn't imagine NOT having them around.
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html